Awoo.

Sonic 30th predictions

UpCDownCLeftCRightC

5 hours ago, Thigolf said:

Most of the other character's levels are simply parts of Sonic's level with a small extra rooms here and there.

Tails' levels are just chunks of Sonic's levels with Flight rings put here and there.
Most of Knuckles' stages are just parts of Sonic levels with emerald shards hidden somewhere.
Amy actually has a sizable amount of unique layouts, but she only has 3 levels, and even those re-use huge chunks of other levels.
Gamma, again, has Sonic's exact levels most of the time, with more enemies and some additional speedboosters placed here and there to accomodate for his speed differences.
Big also often just takes tiny chunks of levels, or has uniquely created areas, but even those are ridiculously small because all you do is fish in them.

C'mon, I adore Sonic Adventure, it's my favorite Sonic game, but let's not act like Sega and Sonic Team cranked out completely unique levels for each character. They put thought and effort to change the areas to make them a little unique for each character, but it's really not some gigantic act like some make it out to be.

We might as well argue that Sonic Mania has 72 unique levels just because you can play each Act with 3 characters and they all have small areas only they can reach.

It had a high production value and content for its time. I don't think a new Adventure remake would suffer with this lack of content. It wouldn't work because it'd be an outdated remake.

If Sega really did an Adventure remake, it must be an updated version of the original with much more content, bigger stages, bigger better designed Adventure fields, etc. Like Final Fantasy VII remake is compared to the original.

30 minutes ago, azoo said:

I hope the next 3D Sonic game features gameplay. And level design. That'd be pretty dope.

The last one didn't have that, so it'd be exciting to see what they do next time.

I love you man.

The next Sonic game is going to be "Sonic: Civil War" 

It will pit modern Sonic vs classic Sonic. All of the modern characters plus their classic counterparts. They will duke it out in each respective dimension. And the winner will take the series into the future. 

The intro trailer starts thusly: The modern team warns the world of a future that is stuck in the past. They use propagandistic illustrations of 1930s mickey mouse with classic Sonic's head drawn on top, holding hands and being cheery with everyone. 

The classic team are the rebels and go underground, recruiting people to save Sonic's legacy and reminding them of the good old days before modern Sonic jumped to 3D, playing soundbites such as:

"awww yeah, this is happenin'" 

"none of this is good. That's why it's called war" 

And showing Sonic kissing a human princess, to the horror of everyone in the room. 

Fast forward to a battle scene. The characters all speed towards each other and duke it out. The avatars from Forces have returned, but this time representing many different fans from amongst the sonic fanbase. The avatars get into a big brawl, to such a degree that the war between modern and classic Sonic stops and all the characters stand and watch the avatar war, in awe. 

Just as the trailer ends, movie sonic zooms in and knocks out both sonics with a briefcase full of money, and zooms off screen. All the remaining Characters are now motionless and speechless. 

The avatars are still fighting. 

/trailer

On 4/21/2020 at 6:23 PM, MugiMikey said:

For example, I think they would certainly cut playable characters such as Big, but because of his new, memey marketable status he'd be a major NPC

Honestly, this is why I say they should not only make Big playable, but expanded.

Except, don't make it fishing levels. Heroes showed us he can go into levels and fight robots just fine.

Awesome him up. Fucking have him swinging tree to tree using his fishing pole, belly flopping into robots below -- sending shockwaves, blasting through  at a high speed (again, Heroes he kept up with Amy and Cream) after ALL this damn awesomeness, he touches that big golden ring: victory. He sits down at a pond or something, sits down and fishes, you get graded, next level.

10/10, best game ever.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

2 hours ago, Wittymations said:

Honestly, this is why I say they should not only make Big playable, but expanded.

Except, don't make it fishing levels. Heroes showed us he can go into levels and fight robots just fine.

Awesome him up. Fucking have him swinging tree to tree using his fishing pole, belly flopping into robots below -- sending shockwaves, blasting through  at a high speed (again, Heroes he kept up with Amy and Cream) after ALL this damn awesomeness, he touches that big golden ring: victory. He sits down at a pond or something, sits down and fishes, you get graded, next level.

10/10, best game ever.

Take cues from Action Henk and Umihara Kawase. The mechanics there fit him so perfectly.

I'd rather see an attempt at a Sonic Adventure remake than a new title at this point. It would be a base to move forward with

Who knows at this point? We don't know if we're even gonna be alive tomorrow with this crisis. 🤷‍♂️ I think companies will understand that they can't postpone events and panels anymore, 2020 is over. If they have something planned to be revealed in 2020, it will have to be online. Just make it quickly.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Jango said:

If they have something planned to be revealed in 2020, it will have to be online. Just make it quickly.

Pretty much this.

At this point i think some companies realized that Live organized events aren't gonna happen throughout 2020.

SEGA, if you had a game reveal you needed to do at SXSW, do it online and be done with it, we fans are starting to despise this drought.

• Thumbs Up 2

Why they don't announce it sooner is beyond me. They still make it a priority to post memes on Twitter, so I wonder why they can't put something together announcing what they have planned before all the Sonic movie buzz fades away? I figure riding off the movie's success would be the smart thing to do.

7 hours ago, MugiMikey said:

I figure riding off the movie's success would be the smart thing to do.

That's the problem.

SEGA is not exactly known to be smart.

• Thumbs Up 1

Even though they're just rumors, I can't help imagine how stupid SEGA/Sonic Team will look when Nintendo announce a trilogy remaster for the 3D Mario games, while all Sonic Team has is SA1.

Announcing it now would at least not make them look as clueless as they are or continue being overshadowed by a rival platformer.

I don't know why it's supposed to be better to announce a game that they don't know when it'll come out or if they'll even be able to deliver a steady news cycle because in this current crisis, everything is uncertain, instead of just waiting it out and announcing their game when it's ready to?

If they announce the game now and don't talk about it for months because they simply don't have enough presentable parts, people will bitch, too. How is that any better?

• Thumbs Up 3

7 hours ago, Thigolf said:

I don't know why it's supposed to be better to announce a game that they don't know when it'll come out or if they'll even be able to deliver a steady news cycle because in this current crisis, everything is uncertain, instead of just waiting it out and announcing their game when it's ready to?

If they announce the game now and don't talk about it for months because they simply don't have enough presentable parts, people will bitch, too. How is that any better?

Ya, basically this. It's a really inconvenient situation, but I'm actually surprised for the better that Sega is delaying the response. This is a long-term thing they're planning here, if this pandemic situation changes in a way that makes Sega unable to continue marketing the game properly, which Sega isn't even that good at doing with Sonic in the first place, then dropping info now is probably not for the best. I don't want to have to wait multiple months after a teaser trailer that probably shows next to nothing of substance just for them to reveal some actual gameplay, shortly before the intended release date.

It's better at least that people bitch about nothing being known now than for them to bitch about not enough follow up to what little was already announced. Once the roller coaster starts, there's no getting off until the ride is over, it's better Sega has more time to plan things out. It really isn't enough for the game itself to be good, it has to be marketed well to sell enough copies to reflect the game's quality and make a larger impact. Who knows, maybe in their downtime, Sega can learn how to actually market a Sonic game fucking properly for once. 

Sonic ain't life lol ya'll can wait

• Thumbs Up 2

What if... safe prediction here: Classic Sonic (and/or classic gameplay in general) might be in the next main game

Reasons why I believe this:

- According to many of you, there isn't a new Classic game in the style of Mania coming soon, which I almost refuse to believe, that SEGA would not cash in on Mania's success.

- ...So they may do that in a different way, to keep the Classic sub-brand going, by making him a playable character in whatever the next game is.

- The next title will likely be a major 30th anniversary title, so... how do you not include Classic Sonic? Although he already was in the 20th and 25th anniversaries. If he wasn't in, it'd be basically the first time since Sonic '06 where he's absent.

- Unless they have more projects going on, this is the only way to feature both the classic and modern brands, gameplay, to please both mini-fandoms and to target the most people in general.

- SEGA really loves to keep their favorite, most successful features as "iconic" mainstays in Sonic games, the Wisps became basically permanent after the success of Colors, Classic Sonic also starred in more titles after the success of Generations, and so on. the Avatar will probably return too, due to its popularity, basically the one liked thing from fans in Forces. Whether you like these features or not, they are popular and SEGA will keep using them. Same for locations like Green Hill. They like their iconic stuff.

So yeah, it's likely the next game will have Classic Sonic, Wisps and Avatar again in some form, plus Shadow and Chao Garden, which are the other most popular things.

It's like these are permanent features and Classic Sonic is a main character (he really is, actually).

After replaying Generations, I really like Classic Sonic and his gameplay in Modern titles, I get he's redundant... but no, he is really harmless if you ignore the crossover between the 2 Sonics as a constant thing, it gets repetitive, but what's the other issue? The fact that... with Sonic Team, yeah they really don't get his gameplay and level design right, that's the sad truth.

Am I asking for Forces 2? Absolutely not, it sure seems that way if you read my post but... I just predict we are getting more of the same features that worked on past games, SEGA loves them and knows fans like them too, so why not keep what worked?

I just want a good game, and the other thing is... if they keep using this "add a feature, add one more, add one more..." and so on, it really becomes an overcrowded and unplayable mess, like Forces. It's also possible they might cut some of the old features. 

6 hours ago, Jack at Home said:

What if... safe prediction here: Classic Sonic (and/or classic gameplay in general) might be in the next main game

Not to be melodramatic but if he did show up, the reaction could lead to an even more drastic rift in the fanbase than ever before, a Civil War, you could say. People just barely tolerated his presence in Forces (in promotional material at least) because of the promise of the Avatar and a different kind of story. Once Bitten, Twice Shy as they say. It would still be disliked even if it was a massive improvement over his blatant shoehorning in Forces, even if he was on par with his portrayal in Generations.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Jack at Home said:

If Evening Star were making the next classic game I would be ok with it but since this would be done by Sonic Team I would not trust them developing Classic Sonic's game play after how they made him play in Forces. Why would you want to focus on one of the worst aspects about your previous game?

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, Johnster4 said:

If Evening Star were making the next classic game I would be ok with it but since this would be done by Sonic Team I would not trust them developing Classic Sonic's game play after how they made him play in Forces. Why would you want to focus on one of the worst aspects about your previous game?

I agree, I just look at the way Sega would handle the situation.

Is Evening Star willing to make more Sonic games? Maybe not, apparently.

Is there still demand for Classic gameplay? Yes, a lot. It's a successful formula. Which means they will milk it.

12 hours ago, BadBehavior said:

Not to be melodramatic but if he did show up, the reaction could lead to an even more drastic rift in the fanbase than ever before, a Civil War, you could say. People just barely tolerated his presence in Forces (in promotional material at least) because of the promise of the Avatar and a different kind of story. Once Bitten, Twice Shy as they say. It would still be disliked even if it was a massive improvement over his blatant shoehorning in Forces, even if he was on par with his portrayal in Generations.

What if the next game were just a 3D classic game? No gimmicks, just a pure 3D classic game like Sonic Utopia or something like SA1 but with the full on aesthetic? 

I'm sure not everyone would be happy. There are many fans on this site who have no affection for classic at all and would probably be pissed.

So no 2D but instead a full 3D game. 

(this probably isn't happening, maybe ever. I'm just curious) 

On 4/28/2020 at 8:55 AM, sonicfan619 said:

Even though they're just rumors, I can't help imagine how stupid SEGA/Sonic Team will look when Nintendo announce a trilogy remaster for the 3D Mario games, while all Sonic Team has is SA1.

Announcing it now would at least not make them look as clueless as they are or continue being overshadowed by a rival platformer.

Well like you said... They're just rumors. 

And none of Sonic's 3D titles, with all due respect to the blue ring boi, hold a candle to Mario's, despite the pain it causes me to say that. Mario's 3D outings have just been much better from the beginning. If it's just a Sonic Adventure remake its going to get overshadowed period.

But I don't think Sonic should worry about what Mario is doing at this time. Eventually, when he gets his footing and makes consistently better games, sure.  Right now he should focus on his own identity and have the best outing possible this time round. Mario is going to Mario. Sonic simply needs to do better than the mediocre outing it had in 2017 and keep growing. 

Still don't know where people are getting the Mario rumor from. 

3 hours ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

What if the next game were just a 3D classic game? No gimmicks, just a pure 3D classic game like Sonic Utopia or something like SA1 but with the full on aesthetic? 

I'm sure not everyone would be happy. There are many fans on this site who have no affection for classic at all and would probably be pissed.

So no 2D but instead a full 3D game. 

(this probably isn't happening, maybe ever. I'm just curious)

In that case, less anger and more confusion. Classic fans would be apprehensive about it because it's not 2D, and adventure and boost fans would be torn because it's a 3D game with designs and aesthetics they're unfamiliar with. And that's all before they even play such a game.

I feel like Classic fans would be the main ones excited for a 3D Classic game, while Adventure fans would be kind of mixed; especially if the game continues to keep Sonic as the only playable character and keep the story to a minimum. But the game would be 3D, so it ticks off 2/3 of the things people want. 

4 hours ago, BadBehavior said:

In that case, less anger and more confusion. Classic fans would be apprehensive about it because it's not 2D, and adventure and boost fans would be torn because it's a 3D game with designs and aesthetics they're unfamiliar with. And that's all before they even play such a game.

Thts actually an interesting point. I think this is one reason why I want to see it so bad. We've never had a game like this before. Think about the closest titles to resemble something like that: Sonic adventure 1? Takes the classic formula and roughly translates it to 3D but also evolves it a little bit into something a little less fantastical. Sonic 3D blast? (*ahem* nothing to see here folks) 

And I can understand why adventure fans might be put off at first, their Era was more of the "photo realism" (which is obviously an exaggeration). I have to say though, I don't think it's totally incompatible with that style. The only area which is outright incompatible is probably the story investment, since most classic fans prefer minimalist stories for Sonic, but in all honesty I think classic fans would give something like that away in a trade off for excellent gameplay, in a microsecond. It's not a deal breaker by any means. Im not crazy about SA2 story but it's not that bad especially if we'd get fantastic gameplay and world design to go with something like that. 

Boost fans would be the ones with the most compromise as the classic formula is fundamentally different than it. For them, it'd be love or hate, hit or miss. I think this is one reason I wouldnt can the boost formula. If probably just try to turn those games into like a more modern version of Sonic R. I've had that idea in the past anyway. 

But what if something like this was tried and actually done right? To me, it would solve the series biggest problem since 1998. 

2 hours ago, Kuzu said:

I feel like Classic fans would be the main ones excited for a 3D Classic game, while Adventure fans would be kind of mixed; especially if the game continues to keep Sonic as the only playable character and keep the story to a minimum. But the game would be 3D, so it ticks off 2/3 of the things people want. 

I'm sure this is true but in a 3D classic game, you're likely to get other characters than sonic. Tails and Knuckles are guaranteed at some point but probably others as options. 

The only thing that may be different is the level of story investment. You're not going to get exposition heavy scenes in a classic game. There is definitely a story but it's going to be told mostly through the action. 

29 minutes ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

I'm sure this is true but in a 3D classic game, you're likely to get other characters than sonic. Tails and Knuckles are guaranteed at some point but probably others as options. 

The only thing that may be different is the level of story investment. You're not going to get exposition heavy scenes in a classic game. There is definitely a story but it's going to be told mostly through the action. 

Speaking personally for myself, given they have never attempted a classic styled game in 3D, I'd honestly prefer they keep Sonic as the only playable character to work out whatever kinks they need to have. Yes, it's going to piss people off, no I don't care. I'd tired of playing shoddy games. 

As for the story; most people are kind of used to the voice actors (for better or worse) so it'd be weird to have a completely silent game. Especially since Classic didn't have voices due to technical limitations not because it was a deliberate choice. So not having voices can easily be seen as archaic and going backwards. The only you could play it off is if you used dialogue boxes along with voice grunting, but even that's a pretty big departure from what the 3D games usually do. 

14 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Speaking personally for myself, given they have never attempted a classic styled game in 3D, I'd honestly prefer they keep Sonic as the only playable character to work out whatever kinks they need to have. Yes, it's going to piss people off, no I don't care. I'd tired of playing shoddy games. 

As for the story; most people are kind of used to the voice actors (for better or worse) so it'd be weird to have a completely silent game. Especially since Classic didn't have voices due to technical limitations not because it was a deliberate choice. So not having voices can easily be seen as archaic and going backwards. The only you could play it off is if you used dialogue boxes along with voice grunting, but even that's a pretty big departure from what the 3D games usually do. 

Yeah I have to admit, I actually have no clue whatsoever what ST would do with the dialogue in a game like this. Mario is a mostly silent character and it's worked for him. Mania is also silent, as well as the classics. But for some reason I doubt they'd take that approach. I also don't think I'd want a mute Sonic for a big 3D title. But maybe that's because I've gotten used to him talking in that format as well. As long as they get his personality right, I think making a classic Sonic talk could work well. For example the OVA. Not a great movie, but the portrayal of classic'S personality was spot on. I'd want to see something like that maybe?

(inb4 "strange isn't it" ) 

And for the first part, thats exactly how I feel. It'd be nice to be able to play as tails and knux eventually but for the first foray I'd rather they nail Sonic down firmly and the expand from there, that's what matters most. I just wanted to point out that the classic formula clearly permits multiple playable characters and stories from other vantage points. 

A lower key story would be fine with me but no VO for expressive, larger than life characters like Sonic and Eggman seems like a poor fit to me regardless of what type of game you're making.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1