Awoo.

SEGA to announce new 'AAA' title at Gamescom 2019

Tracker_TD

gamescom_DSgIPjC.png

Gamescom is nigh!

Europe's very own E3 is approaching and SEGA's gonna be there. In addition to apparently being involved in the Doritos Pope's opening night stream, SEGA will be showing off upcoming stuff like Catherine Full Body, Two-Point Hospital for consoles, the Mega Drive Mini - and a new Triple A title, too!

From their Gamescom PR:

Unannounced AAA Title

Visitors will be treated to a first-hand look at an all-new AAA game that has yet to be revealed to the public.

So yeah, something's a comin'. Shin Yakuza is getting unveiled on August 29th, so to be brutally honest it probably won't be that.

Creative Assembly's been busy, but apparently it's not them. Along the same lines, Relic's been fairly quiet recently  (Relic's on Age of Empires IV, oops).

Time will tell, anyway! Just uh... maybe don't get your hopes up for Sonic Goes to the Store 2: Electric Boogaloo or whatever. I still recall when everyone thought a blatant SEGA 3D Classics teaser was Sonic 4 Episode III...

Sega has the money to produce an AAA game?

Joking aside, I recall back in the late 2000s-early 2010s that Sega was funding a lot of  hardcore action games like Vanquish and Bayonetta, so maybe it’s a return to that style? I don’t know, I’m just expecting it to not be a new game of one or their current IPs, especially not Sonic. 

Has Sonic ever been AAA? The closest a game in the series could have be considered that is probably Unleashed, but that might be a stretch.

Just now, Menace2Society said:

Sega has the money to produce an AAA game?

Yakuza says hello. Hell, I'd be inclined to say Sakura Wars also says hello. Their RTS titles such as Total War are certainly no slouches either. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

It's most likely NiGHTS and I'm here for that! I don't need a Sonic announcement right now but it wouldn't hurt if he started getting AAA titles again.

I just want official news about that NiGHTS thing, whatever it is. Is it possible SEGA has more than one announcement, like an AAA title and other minor announcements?

Possibly, but the only announcement we know for sure right now is this AAA one. 

Also amended the OP because I forgot Relic are currently working for Microsoft on Age of Empires IV. The plot thickens. Again. 

If it's not a JSRF sequel, literally no one important cares about what it actually is.

• Thumbs Up 1

It BETTER be jsrf. The fanbase is huge . Nights would be a decent second game but I think jet set would drive more sales

• Fist Bump 1

Can I wish for a Sonic/NiGHTS crossover? Is that too much to wish for? Conceptually it works very well. Sonic Team is itching for this since the Lost World level.

Mr. Iizuka please?

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe it's that actual new title they said they were preparing during the Switch console presentation conference.
Or are they assuming people have forgot about that?

20 minutes ago, Teoskaven said:

Maybe it's that actual new title they said they were preparing during the Switch console presentation conference.
Or are they assuming people have forgot about that?

Was it a new IP they teased specifically? If not, maybe it's a new NiGHTS game after all, seeing as how Journey of Dreams was a Nintendo exclusive.

Shenmue 4. Which will come out even before 3 :V

Jokes aside, SEGA has a lot of cool IPs. It's nice that we're finally getting Streets of Rage 4, Shenmue 3, just recently we got awesome "remakes" of Monster Boy and Toejam & Earl. But we're only scratching the surface. Golden Axe? They did tried bringing it back with that reboot back in the Xbox 360 days, but it was a major flop. NiGHTS would be awesome, but can it really be considered AAA? Maybe Jet Set? 

Or maybe it's just another Yakuza.

Just finished Judgement. Easily the best of the Yakuza games I've gotten my hands on. I could see them wanting to take another trip down that road, even if Yagami isn't the next protag.

They have been hovering around Yakuza and Valkyria Chronicles quite a bit the last few years. Thats where my betting money goes.

2 hours ago, Menace2Society said:

Has Sonic ever been AAA? The closest a game in the series could have be considered that is probably Unleashed, but that might be a stretch.

Just because the games were middling to complete disasters doesn't mean they didn't have big budgets, large marketing pushes and long development times. It wasn't until the Nintendo exclusivity agreement was done that Sega consistently pulled things back so it became the norm.

• Thumbs Up 2

As exciting as it would be for it to be Sonic, I don't see that happening unless the series is getting a major shift in direction and scope to the same extent 06 was back in 2005- early 2006. 

Even then, I'm pretty sure it was said recently that 2021 would be a big year for Sonic (obviously with the 30th) so I honestly expect all efforts to be on the game for that year and I don't see them announcing a Sonic game so far in advance. Even the massive Boom initiative was revealed and released within the same year.

I'm pretty sure that whatever it is falls under Sega Europes umbrella.

Mainly because all the Sega Europe social media types have been tweeting about it all afternoon.

Your all wrong. Anyone can see................

Sonic Battle 2 baby! By arc systems hnnng. Heaven or hell let's rock edition. Comes with chilli dog dlc and Chao skins!

But honestly I just hope they don't rush whatever it may be

Perhaps will be a new Alien game, as Alien Isolation was received well. Or maybe another Football Manager or Total War?

• Thumbs Up 1

My hopeful bet in Jet Set Radio-related.

My realistic bet is maybe something to do with Alien, I’ve heard rumours about a sequel to Isolation for a while. Anything about Yakuza would get an announcement in Japan instead.

I wouldn't be opposed to a new Jet Set Radio. I've never played any of them but the aesthetic and the music has endeared itself to me so much after seeing them appear in so many spin-offs. It's why I ended up getting Samba de Amigo for the Wii when I was younger. Believe it or not, putting those other franchises out there does in fact stand a chance at getting newer, younger audiences interested. 

If you're loud and bombastic enough, you'll make a big enough sign that says "PAY ATTENTION TO ME!" and most people probably will.

Then again, it could also be another Sonic reboot. We know Boom didn't turn out so well as a multi-media American Sonic branch of the franchise but what about "Sonic Blast" ? Instead of Sports Tape, it's Fidget Spinners, and instead of a scarf, it's the Sanic shirt in Forces.

"It's hip. It's Coral... It's LOSING MONEY!"

2 hours ago, Polkadi~☆ said:

My hopeful bet in Jet Set Radio-related.

My realistic bet is maybe something to do with Alien, I’ve heard rumours about a sequel to Isolation for a while. Anything about Yakuza would get an announcement in Japan instead.

Fox opened its own production arm for games, so I don't think SEGA will have anything to do with the next Alien game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Any bets? I have no idea, don't think it's an IP revival, doubt it's Sonic, it must be one of the other regular Sega franchises.