Awoo.

What I think's best for Tails

Owen Deane

38 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

This idea just isn't well thought out. It does not add anything. Maybe if Tails used to go to school before he met Sonic? Even then, it's such a mundane concept for a fantasy series, I don't think it's worth getting into. This is something for Cream the Rabbit, not the secondary hero.

Again I agree. I don't think school has any place as a serious setting in the Sonic series... Unless Robotnik captured the main cast and tried to brainwash them using machines inside a evil school he built or some other such nonsense. I don't see what it could be used for outside of backstory lore... It basically would just be writing Tails out of the series if he had to go to school.

4 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Because this is what matters here...apparently?

What are you even saying?

That those people don't seem to be taking Tails' status into consideration, and arn't thinking about what the aftermath could be; they're effectively putting the child's life at dangerous risk. To quote SammyClassicSonicFan; "When will you learn that your actions have consequences?".

In the Classics, Tails character was 'cute'. He didn't really have a character beyond that. He was technically a mechanic whiz kid, building the tornado, but outside the manual and a few scenes it was barely ever presented.

He was probably best presented in Adventure, with his growing confidence and independencs, but that game essentially ended his character arc. They didn't really know what to do with him afterwards for a long time.

In Adventure 2 he was independent and his rivalry with Eggman was interesting, but they didnt really do anything with him. And from Heroes onwards he reverted to his Sonic 2 appearance, which is devoid of character and really doesn't suit dialogue and a big plot.

I'd actually say that Tails is, on balance, handled better now the most of the characters. He has a clear role as the gadget guy and mechanic. Although I do get that his physical weakness  and immaturity annoys fans, but he has to have some flaws.

Just now, StaticMania said:

He didn't do that.

Yeah, it's commonly thought by fans though which is why I included it. Although that just shows how little character he had in Sonic 2 and 3.

1 hour ago, Owen Deane said:

"People like Tails, they want him to be involved."

Yeah, and potential kill himself in the process, having their hopes backfire. I find those people a little narrow minded and selfish for my tastes. They just seem to be thinking about what they want instead of looking at this from a different perspective and considering what's best for Tails. He's only 8 years old after all.

Riiiight. So there's one playable character in this series who has literally used napalm bombs to topple an imperial regime. Three guesses who it is.

. . .

You're in cahoots with Dr. Robotnik, aren't you? You don't care about Tails's safety - you care about Robotnik's! Tails has proven himself perpetually youthful and immortal, but Robotnik's life is at risk everytime their paths cross. You're afraid Tails is going to kill him, aren't you?

Or maybe... maybe you're protecting Shadow? Tails beat Shadow half to death with his bare hands in Sonic Battle, and you're afraid it could be worse next time. Isn't that right?

Who are you protecting? Who are you shielding from justice, from righteous annihilation?

• Promotion 2
  • Chuckle 3

1 hour ago, Indigo Rush said:

I considered that, but the difference is that school is the setting, but the things that happen or the gameplay situations don't really revolve around studying or taking tests. A game like Persona has high school as a backdrop, but that's all it ever is, but it's also aimed towards teenagers and young adults who are more interested in the social dynamics and relationships that occur in that setting.

Sonic, though? That's not a young adult series, it's E for everyone. Kids are going to be the primary demographic, and they aren't going to give a hoot about going to school; and usually when school is involved, it's not seen as a positive environment anyway. What's the point of Tails going to school if all the action is going to take place somewhere else? Is it just a holding cell for Tails to be stuck in while Sonic and the rest are off fighting evil robots? Is Tails even on screen at this point? The kid flies Sonic's plane and rewires Robotnik's mechs, I think he's probably forged a doctor's note anyway.

This idea just isn't well thought out. It does not add anything. Maybe if Tails used to go to school before he met Sonic? Even then, it's such a mundane concept for a fantasy series, I don't think it's worth getting into. This is something for Cream the Rabbit, not the secondary hero.

Kids are also Crash Bandicoot's primary demographic, but that franchise had school as a story element a couple of times, namely Academy Of Evil in Twinsanity, and Evil Public School in Mind Over Mutant. 

That those people don't seem to be taking Tails' status into consideration, and arn't thinking about what the aftermath could be; they're effectively putting the child's life at dangerous risk. 

It's a fucking game 

• Thumbs Up 1

Kids are also Crash Bandicoot's primary demographic, but that franchise had school as a story element a couple of times, namely Academy Of Evil in Twinsanity, and Evil Public School in Mind Over Mutant. 

Aside from being two different franchises, the difference between that and what you're suggesting is these don't prevent the hero's sidekick from participating in the main story and gameplay. 

You also have never actually elaborated what Tails is supposed to learn besides "High School" because he's smart. The Academy of Evil is not the center of the story or a recurring location outside of that one game; furthermore, the latter is a goofy tongue-in-cheek gag that serves a completely different purpose from what your 'ideal' version of Tails is supposed to experience. 

No personal offense intended, truly, but if all you have to offer is "Tails is a kid, therefore he should go to school," in this fantasy series about talking animals that fight evil robots, then man, I really hope you stay far, far away from any board room meetings at SEGA, because that is the most boring plot device I have ever heard anybody suggest on this site.

• Fist Bump 1

9 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Aside from being two different franchises, the difference between that and what you're suggesting is these don't prevent the hero's sidekick from participating in the main story and gameplay. 

You also have never actually elaborated what Tails is supposed to learn besides "High School" because he's smart. The Academy of Evil is not the center of the story or a recurring location outside of that one game; furthermore, the latter is a goofy tongue-in-cheek gag that serves a completely different purpose from what your 'ideal' version of Tails is supposed to experience. 

No personal offense intended, truly, but if all you have to offer is "Tails is a kid, therefore he should go to school," in this fantasy series about talking animals that fight evil robots, then man, I really hope you stay far, far away from any board room meetings at SEGA, because that is the most boring plot device I have ever heard anybody suggest on this site.

Crash and Sonic arn't too different from each other, but that's a blog for another day. 

12 hours ago, MainJP said:

Do Sonic characters even go to school? Like...Amy lives by herself in an apartment. Charmy like...works at a job.

Y'know it's stuff like that that makes me question the Sonic characters given ages. For being teens at the oldest they sure do seem to be independent.

6 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Y'know it's stuff like that that makes me question the Sonic characters given ages. For being teens at the oldest they sure do seem to be independent.

It's easy to be independant when nobody has a family.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Osmium said:

It's a fucking game 

Y'know between the Rouge thread and this one I think he might be trolling. Just a hunch.

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, MainJP said:

Y'know between the Rouge thread and this one I think he might be trolling. Just a hunch.

Yeah, I couldn't help but think something like that myself.

At the least the former was based on an existing writeup.

I wasn't trolling, I was just sharing a suggestion of what might be best for Tails, since he can't look after himself in games like Unleashed and Forces, and also based my suggestion loosely on a couple of episodes from Sonic shows and fan comic (2nd Chances) where Sonic briefly lets go of Tails as a sidekick. In the former, he tries to find him a foster home, and in the latters, fires the fox out of protection. Not to sound rude, but do they ring any bells?

7 minutes ago, Owen Deane said:

I wasn't trolling, I was just sharing a suggestion of what might be best for Tails, since he can't look after himself in games like Unleashed and Forces

That’s because the games are hella inconsistent with their writing.

Tails has proven multiple times in the past that he’s capable of holding his own, that recent games just flat out ignore.

21 minutes ago, Owen Deane said:

I wasn't trolling, I was just sharing a suggestion of what might be best for Tails, since he can't look after himself in games like Unleashed and Forces, and also based my suggestion loosely on a couple of episodes from Sonic shows and fan comic (2nd Chances) where Sonic briefly lets go of Tails as a sidekick. In the former, he tries to find him a foster home, and in the latters, fires the fox out of protection. Not to sound rude, but do they ring any bells?

But the thread's premise is asinine, though. Tails is to Sonic what Luigi is to Mario in that he's an iconic video game sidekick. Even to this day that's what he's known for.

You have to know on some level that "school" isn't an appropriate fix for an iconic sidekick character from a fast-paced action platformer.

Sega would get even more flak for that weird "school" idea than just having him be a wimp. The only thing I got out of this thread is that you understand the characters about as well as someone who doesn't play Sonic games at all.

• Fist Bump 1

11 minutes ago, MainJP said:

But the thread's premise is asinine, though. Tails is to Sonic what Luigi is to Mario in that he's an iconic video game sidekick. Even to this day that's what he's known for.

You have to know on some level that "school" isn't an appropriate fix for an iconic sidekick character from a fast-paced action platformer.

Sega would get even more flak for that weird "school" idea than just having him be a wimp. The only thing I got out of this thread is that you understand the characters about as well as someone who doesn't play Sonic games at all.

I know you're talking about the games, but try telling that to the Archie comics. Until about 2017, they carried on after the school arc. At first I was dead set against Sonic as a series being associated with school, and wondered why on God's green earth he had about 5 educational games when he was supposed to be the opposite of that from day one, but upon seeing how Tails was in Forces, I had 2nd thoughts. 

9 minutes ago, Owen Deane said:

I know you're talking about the games, but try telling that to the Archie comics. Until about 2017, they carried on after the school arc. At first I was dead set against Sonic as a series being associated with school, and wondered why on God's green earth he had about 5 educational games when he was supposed to be the opposite of that from day one, but upon seeing how Tails was in Forces, I had 2nd thoughts. 

Just write him better in the next game then. Look at all the praise Mania Adventures got for having Tails fight along side Sonic and the others.

The only reason he acts like that is because he isn't playable. If the other characters were still playable in the 3D games we wouldn't be having this discussion. 

• Thumbs Up 1

53 minutes ago, Owen Deane said:

I know you're talking about the games, but try telling that to the Archie comics. 

This was a terrible arc. If I was a reader at the time it would have made me quit being a reader.

53 minutes ago, Owen Deane said:

... but upon seeing how Tails was in Forces, I had 2nd thoughts. 

So your question is really, who will take care of Tails if Sonic is gone. This is a better question for the topic, but I think everyone will say Tails can take care of himself. But the games lately make it seem like Tails really can’t take care of himself, so as much as we don’t want that to be canon, it probably is by now. This actually goes back before Pontaff, when Tails is alone and hides from a group of Gaia monsters in one Unleashed cutscene.

Forces says that Classic Sonic will take care of Tails, but I think most will agree that’s not a real answer.

Ah, yes the school arc in Pre Ian Flynn Archie.

That arc where Tails skips school with the ghost of Knuckles' grandfather to try and fight Chaos Knuckles but also gets secretly kidnapped by a magic immortal elephant and replaced with a clone...but instead of trying to find the real Tails, Knuckles's grandfather's ghost and Tails' uncle just leave the clone to take his place until Sonic finds the real one during the night after the clone has a nightmare.

I don't know what's more ironic. The fact that you want to put Tails in school or the fact that a arc about the characters going to school literally much has Tails skip school.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1
  • Absolutely 1