Awoo.

Sonic Appears in OK K.O.! (Crossover Episode on August 4th)

Sonictrainer

I mentioned that in the status updates! I was wondering if anyone else caught it!

• Thumbs Up 2

You know, I'm so-so exited about this crossover, try no to over-hype it.

With that said, there something incredibly satisfying about KO's reaction to Sonic. This pure excitement about Sonic, that isn't coming from his fandom or Sega.

x.png.b6a48936e63d468badcd751b60da8c90.png

It's just...nice.

• Thumbs Up 5

10 hours ago, StaticMania said:

What's the problem?

They deserved it.

I mean they were being little shits.

Also yes the Ghoul School crossover is a delight. They got as many of the original voice actors possible and even did make a valed reference to Shaggy. This show is made by Animation fans for Animation fans.

19 hours ago, antyep said:

If Eggman shows up with Boxman, that’s TWO Robotnik voices together!! That’s the only thing I’m looking forward to!!

I hadn't thought of that. No doubt the show's crew, being as big of fans as they are, know they have the voice of classic Robotnik on their payroll. It'd be a waste not to utilize Jim Cummings in some way.

5 hours ago, SBR2 said:

even did make a valed reference to Shaggy. 

Oh, what was it? I'm curious.

I've seen a few clips of the episode on YouTube, including one where they basically did a revamp of Ghoul School's ending song, so they clearly did their research on it. I did see a reference to Scooby himself (Enid saying "Ruh Roh" at one point).

4 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Oh, what was it? I'm curious.

After their school volleyball games are brought up, Winnie asks if the other girls ever wonder what ever happened to "that weird guy with the Great Dane."

• Chuckle 2

New preview. But heads up - it spoils a fair bit, and by that I mean the first 10 seconds before the clip kicks off are a fairly large spoiler. 

With that said, the references I noticed

Spoiler

- SA2 Light Dash when racing Metal KO

-... in the Chaotix Special Stage!

- Death Egg Reference, no brainer

- One of KO's drawings is Sonic vs Shadow at the end of SA2

- And another is... a Mario and Sonic reference?!

It looks great, anywho. Just wish they'd picked a different clip to open the preview with, lmao

• Thumbs Up 4

"Oh, it's Tails."

Seems to describe the character pretty well...

EPIC BOINNN.

Yeah, the references were blatant...confusion?

• Absolutely 1

I like this show, should watch it more honestly. Excited to see this.

So Sonic exists in the same world as Ghoul School. My elementary school headcanons have been fulfilled 

Sorry to be the downer here, but while I have nothing against this crossover existing, that newest preview didn't really look too good to me.  It's like the same medium-aware narrative style present in Sonic Boom but much less funny.  There's not really much humor from KO since he's just doing what he usually does; raving about superheroes he venerates and wants to emulate, except this time it's Sonic.  The fanart should have been potential for all sorts of jokes, but they're more just references, and weirdly, they're references that many modern children won't get.  Naturally, that was true of the other crossovers this show did, too, but those at least had the advantage of being really, really weird, compared to this umpteenth moment of KO being a fanboy.  I don't know what's weirder, that he somehow knows of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Sonic Adventure 2, or that he somehow considers the Olympics games equivalent moments of glory.

Then there's Sonic himself: He seems like a cocky jerk.  Sonic's had shades of that in the past, but usually what made it work was he was more facetious about it and was bouncing it off of antagonists who deserved it.  Just brushing off Tails on a knee-jerk is...not the plot point I would have wanted in an episode intended to celebrate Sonic.  Obviously the episode will end with them reconciling, but it's still a bad choice.

Who knows, though?  It could surprise me.  Except the biggest surprise, and thus the main draw, is just the fact that this exists, and will likely remain so.  The episode can be utterly underwhelming now that it's guaranteed that people will watch it.

I would have killed to have been on the animation team for this. I have never seen an episode of OK KO in my life but now I desperately want to. The animation style is so adorable and I love the way they draw and animate Sonic. 

• Thumbs Up 2

It's fun to see they've included Sonic's little fangs too. That's something you don't see often.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, that preview is full of fan service, but the show looks like crap to me. Bear in mind that I'm basing this entirely on what I've seen of the crossover because before now I'd not even heard of this cartoon. I don't watch cartoons at all though, because they're just not my taste. Especially when they have this style of animation. Yuck.

But I can't fault the effort that seems to have gone into this. It's definitely something that will sit right with its intended audience.

Ian JQ will make an appearance on the Sonic Livestream (alongside Ian Flynn of Sonic comics) on August 8th, days after this episode airs.

Maybe we'll get some concepts of the animation shown there?

mmm. Am I the only one who thinks all the random references everywhere aren't cute and just reek of tryhard? 

"Let's make the kid hold an old Archie issue, this'll make us hip with the 30 year olds" 

4 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Maybe they just want to have fun with it and reference a thing they liked.

I mean I know that's why but I always just roll my eyes with stuff like this. Throwing a million obscure references everywhere seems like the most superficial way to express your passion of something to me. Feel free to disagree as everyone will with this but meh. 

45 minutes ago, Osmium said:

I mean I know that's why but I always just roll my eyes with stuff like this. Throwing a million obscure references everywhere seems like the most superficial way to express your passion of something to me. Feel free to disagree as everyone will with this but meh. 

I'm pretty sure talking about a show you like is the only way to show that you like a show.

• Thumbs Up 2

45 minutes ago, Osmium said:

No fun is allowed. What do you think would make the show better other than straight up canceling it before its rushed ending which is coming soon?

• Thumbs Up 4

4 hours ago, Osmium said:

The blatant obvious references are the superficial ones, but when it comes to crossovers...it depends on the series that's doing it anyway.

While there can be a point made that the references for reference's sake aren't adding anything beyond "I clapped when I saw thing" and aren't funny for kids who won't get it, they're not really the intended audience here. Nor, probably, is a lot of this forum tbh. This is very clearly a bunch of people who were kids and hardcore into the Sonic fandom online circa 2002, the Archie stuff, etc, and are taking the chance to just rave endlessly about it. Hence AoSTH references, Sonic Adventure references, a cover from the Death Egg minisseries from Archie, etc. It's Ian JQ and friends reminiscing about when they'd go and draw Shadow on dA in 2002 while wondering if the Shadow in the screenshots for Sonic Heroes is real or not and wondering when Knuckles will stop being green in the comics while posting on Penders' forums and making fancomics on Team Artail.

• Thumbs Up 1