Awoo.

Teen Titans Go VS Teen Titans (Movie Confirmed - 2019)

Ryannumber1gamer

Oh hey, remember that cliffhanger from Teen Titans Go to the Movies that teased the OG Titans making a comeback? Remember all the speculation about it? Like what if it was an Adult Swim Season 6? Or if we'd get a new DTV movie like Justice League VS The Fatal Five, or maybe even a DC Universe revival, similar to Young Justice?

Yeah, nope - you're getting a cheap DTV TTG movie. 

Taken prisoner by a strange alien overlord, The Teen Titans (Go) come up against their greatest challenge yet - themselves. As in, their 2003 counterparts. However, midway during the battle, the arena is destroyed by Trigon, revealed to be working with his powerful 2003 counterpart in order to conquer the planet. With two demon overlords now bent on destroying everything, the OG Titans have to team up with the TTG in order to save the day.

For my own thoughts on the movie....ugh. I really don't like the idea of this. The animation doesn't even match up with the usual Warner Bros standard for the other DTV DC Movies. It all just looks like the stupidly cheap flash animation used for TTG, and it looks utterly jarring on the OG Titans. we have five seasons of great animation as reference for this, and it sticks out like a sore thumb. Hell, Trouble in Tokyo looks better that this IMO.

But it's also general concerns - Teen Titans Go to the Movies was a pretty good film, a rare moment where the writers got their shit together and wrote something funny, heartwarming, and inventive. But here, it sort of just looks standard for lack of a better term. The TTG writers have never handled the OG Titans well at all. You can already see shades of it here. OG Robin is always brooding, looking angry, and what have you, and that was never Robin's personality in the original. Robin was pretty balanced between serious, and comical. E.G:

Cyborg in the short time we see him is kind of the same. Like, he could get goofy in the OG show as well, but just something about him seeing Santa and such is something I'd associate with the TTG version, or even Cyborg in that one episode of OG TT where he got a virus and began hallucinating. Everything about the OG cast's characterisation, at least from the trailer, just felt kind of off to me. 

Even the humour to me seems kind of bog standard. There wasn't anything particularly funny, there wasn't anything particularly awful, like TTGTTM's original trailers, it all just seems kind of boring and unfunny to me. 

What annoys me most about this is we're literally in the era where nearly every popular DC show is getting some kind of revival via a DTV movie. Batman and Harley Quinn was one for BTAS. Justice League VS The Fatal Five was one for JL and JLU. They know how many Teen Titans fans are clamouring for something after that reveal in TTGTTM, and wanted some kind of conclusion to the awful cliffhanger we got in Season 5 of the original. We could've had a proper "revival" movie of the OG TT like Batman and JL got, but instead we just got them being used as some kind of publicity stunt for TTG.

It's infuriating, because it's basically just using the OG TT and the hopes of fans of the original show to get TTG a bit more money via a second, and cheaper movie, and given how badly the OG Titans have been represented in TTG before, I don't hold my hopes up at all for this. Their usual humour in terms of OG TT is mocking their "edginess/seriousness" (which is in the trailer and wasn't actually that massive of a part of the show - if anything, OG TT are regularly praised for balancing darkness and serious plots with light hearted humour). I can already see this very quickly turning into the usual amount of self-shitting on humour, mocking fans for not moving on, or saying "well it's good to have both". 

Idk, personally, my biggest hopes right now is this doing marginally well, Warner Bros getting their heads out of their asses, and giving us a proper OG Titans revival instead of this.

• Thumbs Up 1

I liked the original Teen Titans series from the early 2000s. I don't watch cartoons these days so I'm very far removed from what's popular and what's not, plus my knowledge of quality animation is even worse. But what I do I know well enough is that TTG is derided by anyone over the age of 9.

And Christ this just looks bad. Even if I wanted to be excited about the original TT making a comeback, the animation itself is so wrong. It might work for TTG, but the old designs don't translate to this kind of animation at all. And looking at the way the trailer handles humour and storytelling,  none of it reminds me of original TT at all.

Garbage tier. Hard pass.

I'll go ahead and bring out my take on this:

This'll not actually be about the two diffrent frachises fighting each other. In "Return of Slade" style, it'll only start out like that in the first act.

The rest of the movie is about the two teaming up to defeat the gritty Live Action Titans show.

The movie ends with both groups singing this.

I demand full payment for writting the story for you.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 3
  • Fist Bump 1

What. The FUCK?!

I'm pretty indifferent on Teen Titans Go and I think this is poor.

Honestly, you what this reminds me of? Drawn Together The Movie.

Man, it’s so jarring to see the OG Teen Titans being animated in such a cheap fashion. 

Otherwise, it doesn’t look that bad. I think if the writing and humor is on par with the TTG Movie, it could be a decently fun movie.

• Thumbs Up 1

I mean i watched all of the old TT 00s show. And just IMO it was bad. Sure the season FINALES were usually decent as almost everyone got some "end villain to defeat. But otherwise I think a lot overhype just how good the show was in general. It was in that era where a lot wanted to use that horrid "anime" style of animation seen in shows like totally spies, tt, that mystery show that came on Nickelodeon with the cave man. Where the characters had overly exarated faces and panels. And the tokyo movie was a horrid mess storywise. A villain that makes other villains.........out of ink! i mean outside that it was at least a 6/10. Though it did get a funny flash by well anyway this looks decent and is mixing the best of both worlds it seems. Young people really are enjoying TTG for them to continue to invest in it. We older folks do have Young Justice honestly.

Seems odd that they already have the DVD/Blu-Ray ready to go, yet no release date.

I was kind of hoping they'd go all-in with the OG style, but the characters still look pretty good, if not a bit cheaper-animated. And is this the first confirmation that the TTG! Titans are simply the Titans from a different dimension?

Which leads to another question: are these Titans the exact same as the ones from the old series? And if that's the case, does this movie take place before season 4 of the OG show since Trigon is, y'know, not dead?

I...uh... saw that trailer.

The 2003 Titans look so weirdly animated, like y'all have been saying. The way they're animated just doesn't fit their designs, their expressions are wonky and the proportions between the counterparts look off.

it just doesn't look good.

On 6/27/2019 at 1:05 AM, PC the Hedgehog said:

Which leads to another question: are these Titans the exact same as the ones from the old series? And if that's the case, does this movie take place before season 4 of the OG show since Trigon is, y'know, not dead?

They probably aren't really of the same continuity. Unless there's some time travel involved.

I haven't been with the series since Trouble in Tokyo and I personally think it looks good. Some things might feel off because of both versions, but overall I'm Not complaining. I mean I like what I see, even though I completely dislike the TTG designs. I think the humor & OG characterization (from what we can see anyways, best example being Cyborg's reaction to santa) is good.

Overall, I'm really hoping this'll do good enough to revive the OG series with new seasons. I don't personally remember the cliffhanger ending, but hopefully that'll be resolved with a series revival. And look, WB finished where the Scooby-Doo 13 Monsters series left off 30+ years ago with the recent film. After seeing that, I think WB will do the same with OG Teen Titans.

Not sure if Samurai Jack had a cliffhanger, but they brought it back anyways.

This crossover (?) might just be it's own thing that's Not in any way connected to either series outside the designs. Might be like the TMNT: Turtles Forever film in a way.

Still, I think I'm going to see this when it comes out.

All we’ve seen characterization wise, is raven being “emo lol I don’t actually care and will boringly scream”, Robin “so serious Batman wannabe”, and Cyborg making a “omg its Santa” comment. Nothing about these to me so far look promising. It feels like they’re just doing the young justice episode again only to the next level.

• 4 weeks later...

An 8.5/10 is good enough for me. I had my doubts on how good it will be, but I watched TMNT Turtles Forever recently to get an idea of how this type of film would be like. Well I really enjoyed it, it's just the different styles threw it off at times. Still a good film though.

So I'm thinking TTG! VS. Teen Titans would feel similar to TMNT Turtles Forever in a way. And if it means that Season 6 could still happen afterward, I'm definitely going to give this film a chance. Who knows, maybe they'll include a S6 teaser with it. XD.

Another review. Again improving my opinion all the more. I'd still like to see some more footage though.

• 2 weeks later...

Judging by some Blu-ray ratings I found while Googling, one of the included cartoons will be "How Long is Forever" from the original series.

1 minute ago, CC14 of Doom said:

Judging by some Blu-ray ratings I found while Googling, one of the included cartoons will be "How Long is Forever" from the original series.

I sincerely hope they don't bundle How Long is Forever with TTG's future episode because that's gonna be an awkward time

1 hour ago, CC14 of Doom said:

Interesting, you got a link to the page so I can check it out?

As apprehensive as I am about the movie, I'm probably going to end up picking up the Blu-Ray for those included OG Titans episodes alone. The UK has yet to get a home release of the original series outside of the first three seasons being available digitally, so anything to show support for a proper release of the original show here.

Also, it looks to be the first episode of every TT season, so by that pattern, I'd imagine the episodes will be 

-Final Exam (Season 1) 

-How Long is Forever? (Season 2) 

-Deception (Season 3) 

-Don't Touch that Dial (Season 4) 

-Homecoming Parts 1/2 (Season 5) (or alternatively - Go!)

As for what episode I personally would've chosen as the highlights - 

Season 1: Switched or Mad Mod

Season 2: How Long is Forever (it's the best episode of the whole show, duh)

Season 3: Haunted

Season 4: The Prophecy (The back cover of the box indicates it's going to be about Raven dealing with her demon side, and Trigon is a key villain in it. I'd much rather have The End as the selection, but that's three episodes long, so the Prophecy is a good sub)

Season 5: Go! (It's honestly probably the best episode Season 5 has and is the origin of the Titans).

So it'll be a mixture of Teen Titans & TTG! episodes. Kind of what I was expecting. Since there's 9-bonus episodes, it's likely there'll only be 4-OG Teen Titans episodes & 5-TTG episodes possibly.

@Ryannumber1gamer I didn't even know the UK never got a physical home release for the OG series outside the digital releases. In that case, I'd definitely support that.

4 minutes ago, Blueknight V2.0 said:

I didn't even know the UK never got a physical home release for the OG series outside the digital releases. In that case, I'd definitely support that.

The UK has gotten shafted with all DC shows. Batman TAS only had Seasons 1 and 2 out for the longest time, and without Subzero, S:TAS only had a few four-episode per disc releases, Batman Beyond got nothing, not even it's movie released, Justice League had Starcrossed, Origins, and a few of it's double length episodes from S1 released, The Batman had Season 1 released, and that's about it. We didn't even get the DCAU movies until roughly around Flashpoint or so.

We got all of Batman The Brave and the Bold I think but they were released in like 10-20 different discs with 2 to 4 episodes released. Last year's Batman The Animated Series Blu-Ray release is the first time the full series was released in the UK, and this year's Beyond Blu-Ray will be the first time the UK gets that series released as well.

All of these series aired on UK TV, and on Cartoon Network UK in particular (Toonami UK, which was a standard channel over here primarily ran anime and Superhero shows, so it was basically non-stop DC animated stuff for awhile), but other than that, no home releases whatsoever.

• Thumbs Up 1

I actually didn't even know all that, that's kind of disappointing to hear. But at least there's more releases are happening for the UK though.