Awoo.

Next Main Game is 30th Anniversary Title, Drop Dash News

Multikaris

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2019/06/iizuka-says-2021-will-be-a-big-year-for-sonic-drop-dash-will-be-a-mainstay/

Izuka says that the next main series title will be another anniversary title. He is also planning on having the Drop Dash as a mainstay, which is why it is in the Sega Ages Sonic 1. (I hope it displaces those Wisps). He also mentioned how Mighty and Ray entered Mania, in a way that gives me hope for certain OTHER characters to weasel their way into the classic series if not elsewhere. 

The longer gaps are a good idea on paper, as that’s what the console manufacturers do, and there is material to fill the gap.

Enough with the anniversary titles! Just make a new game with entirely new levels and new characters except Sonic and Tails and Eggman and Amy

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't mind waiting longer for a better game, but at the same time I think the 4 year wait for Sonic Forces was not worth it. A game I finished in 3 hours and was left very disappointed by.

30th Anniversary means another 4 year wait between Sonic Forces and the next mainline game. Of course since we have no idea what they're doing for the next Sonic game we can't really judge it just yet.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Izuka stop dancing around the subject and just say "Mania 2".

And even then, that's a kinda big gap. Mania Plus was in 2018, is making 2D pixel game with already existing character sprites required 3 years od development? IDK, maybe they are waiting for Hesse to be done with the movie.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know, it's really cool that they got the long term planned out and all, but it's not like we've had a hell of a lot go on in the past couple years.

2 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

He has some really great ideas, but unless he can create well-designed stages that take advantage of these abilities then it's just another Sonic fan engine to add to the pile.

Well, he has the physics handled. Let the SEGA team create some levels.

One guy can't do everything it's not 2D! But there is ONE aspect sorted well, let the other teams do the other aspects.

There's a reason 3D games have teams of hundreds of people unlike 2D games.

1 minute ago, Marco9966 said:

Let the SEGA team create some levels.

That's been a huge problem for a while now. There hasn't been good 3D level design in a Sonic game ever since Sonic Generations.

If we let Sonic Team make some levels, how do we know it won't end up just like Sonic Forces' level design?

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Detective Kaito said:

That's been a huge problem for a while now. There hasn't been good 3D level design in a Sonic game ever since Sonic Generations.

If we let Sonic Team make some levels, how do we know it won't end up just like Sonic Forces' level design?

Then we'll wait for the guy to make his own levels.

If it’s an anniversary title then fine , he needs to buckle the team down on level design.

Someone should play a Sonic Unleashed day stage and a Forces Modern Sonic stage side-by-side for him. The difference is staggering.

Ooh, was afraid of this sort of thing happening.

Right, so I think it's worth pointing out that Iizuka didn't directly answer whether or not there would actually be an anniversary title that year. While it's in the realm of possibility given the series' precedent, also keep in mind that we never got a proper 25th anniversary title, either. 2016 was a year of the Rio Olympics and Fire and Ice, so it's not necessarily a given that it'll be a major game. He could be planning another party where they reveal a yet future title, like they did with Mania and Forces. We don't know. 

As for the drop dash, I'm not sure why that would replace the Wisps? They're a different sort of variable in the series; it's like saying Mario's ground pound should replace the fire flower or some other power up, that isn't really how it works. I'm actually considering writing up an article regarding the Wisps sometime, because I think their hate is largely founded on unstable presuppositions on what they actually are or what fans think they're supposed to be, but I digress.

To be quite frank, I'm sort of hoping there isn't an "anniversary game", I guess mainly because I'd like to see something in the Mania category a little sooner than that? It'd also benefit if the next "3D" Sonic game had more time in the oven, so a 2022 release for that would be a good move. Just my thoughts on the matter.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 2
  • Too Many Rings 1

Well no duh.

Ya keep waiting so long between games nowadays that every [other] one had to be an anniversary title. Team Sonic Racing was a well needed breather. 

Hopefully this one with be consistently worked on for a longer period of time. 

I wonder if they intend to make the drop dash a mechanic in 3D games.
Given how it was implemented in Sonic Forces I can't help but feel like this is a missing the forest for the trees situation

29 minutes ago, Emerald Chaos said:

I wonder if they intend to make the drop dash a mechanic in 3D games.
Given how it was implemented in Sonic Forces I can't help but feel like this is a missing the forest for the trees situation

Maybe they're bringing back that mechanic from Shadow's Game were you slowly descend from the sky.

All. The Damn. Time.

6 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

Enough with the anniversary titles! Just make a new game with entirely new levels and new characters except Sonic and Tails and Eggman and Amy

Adventure 2 and STH '06 were both new games with new levels and new characters; and the fact that they were anniversary titles was a defining moment of their marketing and development (to the detriment of the latter, of course). Just because it's an anniversary title doesn't mean it's another Generations; especially in the time since Generations itself Sonic Team haven't really done shit anyway.

• Thumbs Up 9

10 hours ago, Detective Kaito said:

I don't mind waiting longer for a better game, but at the same time I think the 4 year wait for Sonic Forces was not worth it. A game I finished in 3 hours and was left very disappointed by.

30th Anniversary means another 4 year wait between Sonic Forces and the next mainline game. Of course since we have no idea what they're doing for the next Sonic game we can't really judge it just yet.

That’s why I said it was a good idea on paper, nothing to say it can’t catch fire.

10 hours ago, Detective Kaito said:

Exactly! Hopefully the relocation nets them better designers. 

5 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

Ooh, was afraid of this sort of thing happening.

Right, so I think it's worth pointing out that Iizuka didn't directly answer whether or not there would actually be an anniversary title that year. While it's in the realm of possibility given the series' precedent, also keep in mind that we never got a proper 25th anniversary title, either. 2016 was a year of the Rio Olympics and Fire and Ice, so it's not necessarily a given that it'll be a major game. He could be planning another party where they reveal a yet future title, like they did with Mania and Forces. We don't know. 

As for the drop dash, I'm not sure why that would replace the Wisps? They're a different sort of variable in the series; it's like saying Mario's ground pound should replace the fire flower or some other power up, that isn't really how it works. I'm actually considering writing up an article regarding the Wisps sometime, because I think their hate is largely founded on unstable presuppositions on what they actually are or what fans think they're supposed to be, but I digress.

To be quite frank, I'm sort of hoping there isn't an "anniversary game", I guess mainly because I'd like to see something in the Mania category a little sooner than that? It'd also benefit if the next "3D" Sonic game had more time in the oven, so a 2022 release for that would be a good move. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Go ahead and write that article on the Wisps. And yeah, Mario’s new moves in 64 DID displace powerups, same with FLUDD.

4 hours ago, Tornado said:

Adventure 2 and STH '06 were both new games with new levels and new characters; and the fact that they were anniversary titles was a defining moment of their marketing and development (to the detriment of the latter, of course). Just because it's an anniversary title doesn't mean it's another Generations; especially in the time since Generations itself Sonic Team haven't really done shit anyway.

Forces was a halfway point between Generations and those prior commemorative titles, with some new characters and settings alongside the rehashes. So was Mania, but Forces put more emphasis on the new stuff, which made the rehashing all the more painful.

4 years between mainline titles is pretty long. The time between Lost World and the announcement of Forces sucked. The Boom games came out and were terrible and then nothing. For me it felt like the series low. I mean 06 was worse than Lost World, but at least we still had other stuff like Rush Adventure, Rivals 2, Secret Rings etc. And Unleashed was out soon after. 2014-2017 just felt dead.

Another 2D game in the meantime would be nice. This time with no reused levels. And better bosses. And no Bonus Stages that weren't built to interrupt the game every few seconds.

As for the next 3D game, I guess it'll be a next-gen game then. Hopefully they go all out with it. I actually enjoyed Forces, but it felt cheap. And please move on from the Boost gameplay. And, as with the next 2D game, please no old levels.

The Drop Dash stuff is worrying, because it sounds like Classic Sonic will continue to be shoved into Sonic Team's games for no reason with no true understanding of what made the Classic games good. But maybe I should be blindly optimistic and take it to mean Modern Sonic games won't be built around the boost anymore and will use the Spin/Drop Dash in future games instead.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

9 hours ago, Tornado said:

I’m pretty sure by anniversary title Marco means it’s another excuse for more “Member Green Hill Zone?” and despite calling it a 3D game it will actually consist of 60% 2D gameplay. Basically what ST has been doing since Colors.

• Thumbs Up 3

Highly doubt a 2d game is worth having as an anniversary title. also not sure they would call it mania 2 if another 2d game was to come which it will eventually. If its a 3d I WANT to hope they would give us something new and fresh like how mario does in most all his main 3d games. But honestly it most likely will be another rushed 3d game with classic sonic shoehorned in somehow someway.

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, knuckles20 said:

I’m pretty sure by anniversary title Marco means it’s another excuse for more “Member Green Hill Zone?” and despite calling it a 3D game it will actually consist of 60+% 2D gameplay. Basically what ST has been doing since Colors.

But, once they get used to games only being released every five years, they might save that for only the BIG anniversaries from now on. 

Reading through this thread, it would appear that one or two people have different ideas of what "anniversary title" means. I'm a little surprised since I figured it literally just meant a game coming out on the year of a specific milestone. Sonic's 30th anniversary sounds like it'd be something they'd want to take full advantage marketing the hell out of. That doesn't necessarily mean they have to release a game doing what Generations did or even release a game at all should they be so bold. Anniversary titles never meant doing what Generations did anyway. Generations is literally the only anniversary title that did what it did. As was pointed out, Forces and Mania didn't release on Sonic's 25th.

I'm also of the mind that the gap in time between 2017 and 2021 is more than sufficient enough of a time gap to create a worthwhile game. Forces' time gap being four years wasn't a by product of their not being enough time to make a game. There was plenty of time. Hell, Colors and Generations are only a year apart and the later game certain had a bit more going for it than Forces did, despite my also being disappointed with the amount of content it had. Then there's the fact that Unleashed, a game stuffed to the brim with stuff, is only two years apart from Colors.

The amount of years between games isn't the main factor that determines how much stuff is definitely going to be in these games or how good it's going to be, clearly. Having more time can certainly help but after Forces I feel it's silly to insist that increasing the amount of time between years is somehow going to magically give them the template they need to utilize that time wisely.

I'm sure most of the time in between Lost World and Forces wasn't spent on creating that asset-flipped waste of an awesome idea. It most likely was spent on ironing out their precious Hedgehog Engine 2.0. I'm sure it's a fine enough engine but it did little to help make Forces look and feel better than what it was. Not the way it was utilized at least.

Plus, increasing the gaps in time means I'm getting 5+ years older each time I get to play a new mainstream Sonic and the idea of that sucks. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I miss getting a new game every couple years. I guess more development time is better, but Forces lessens my optimism about that helping much.

• Thumbs Up 5

2 minutes ago, Razule said:

I miss getting a new game every couple years. I guess more development time is better, but Forces lessens my optimism about that helping much.

I miss having multiple games per year you mean!

• Fist Bump 1

Wasn't it hinted that Forces proper was slapped together in about a year from longer thought up concepts?

• Thumbs Up 1