Awoo.

SpongeBob Battle for Bikini Bottom remaster announced!

8ther

6 hours ago, Gumbit said:

Since Crash Bandicoot remake , a lot of companies start making remakes and I'm glad THQ Nordic are one of them .

I kind of thought all these remakes started with Ratchet & Clank in 2016, which was announced in 2014. About year before Crash & Spyro started development.

3 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Will this game actually get Clancy Brown?

Only time will tell the tale.

I sure hope so, it felt really weird that Mr. Krabs had a different voice. But yet Clancy Brown did Krabs in RotFD a year before & the Movie game a year after.

I played the shit out of this game when I was a kid. It was and still is a very good platformer with a well-done sense of humor. I'm not in the camp of people that's ecstatic or over the moon for it's return. I definitely can wait for it but this is a cool idea. I don't agree with any sentiment saying that this is a waste of anyone's time. 

Of all the trends that video games are doing (loot boxes, battle royale, live-services) the remake trend is certainly the most welcome and awesome of the bunch. I'm in full support of them, so long as they're good. Plus, even if they're not good, at worst, they'll just remind everyone of how good the old one is and revitalize the love an older game once had. 

The first video game I ever owned (not played, but owned) was the very not good, and actually quite bad, Spongebob: Revenge of the Flying Dutchman. A PS2 game that had only one music track playing in it unless you switched to one of the 3 other costumes in the changing tent, stupid level design, and frustrating battle and platforming mechanics.

Yet, that was the game that had Clancy Brown in it and not Battle for Bikini Bottom. Weird. He was probably doing something more important I guess. 

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I played the shit out of this game when I was a kid. It was and still is a very good platformer with a well-done sense of humor. I'm not in the camp of people that's ecstatic or over the moon for it's return. I definitely can wait for it but this is a cool idea. I don't agree with any sentiment saying that this is a waste of anyone's time. 

Of all the trends that video games are doing (loot boxes, battle royale, live-services) the remake trend is certainly the most welcome and awesome of the bunch. I'm in full support of them, so long as they're good. Plus, even if they're not good, at worst, they'll just remind everyone of how good the old one is and revitalize the love an older game once had. 

The first video game I ever owned (not played, but owned) was the very not good, and actually quite bad, Spongebob: Revenge of the Flying Dutchman. A PS2 game that had only one music track playing in it unless you switched to one of the 3 other costumes in the changing tent, stupid level design, and frustrating battle and platforming mechanics.

Yet, that was the game that had Clancy Brown in it and not Battle for Bikini Bottom. Weird. He was probably doing something more important I guess. 

I played Battle For Bikini Bottom to the point of memorizing everything down to the collectible locations. Except the last 2 of Patrick's socks.

But Revenge of the Flying Dutchman, I have. And still play when I do the other games. It's not the best Spongebob game, but I enjoyed it.

And I cannot wait to actually be able to play Rehydrated with the cut content added.

Yeah, Clancy Brown might've been woking on another project like the Spongebob show, Movie & it's game.

I had a dream last night where Squidward was playable, and he was facing off against King Jellyfish. His playstyle was using his clarinet as a projectile weapon.

• 2 weeks later...

I’d be interested in playing this. Don’t know a whole lot about the original, but I mostly hear good things about the original title. Only issues I hear about often are a few challenges seemingly requiring you google the solution first, which is an easy fix for a remake. It’s also heartening that developers and publishers are willing to give a game a second chance on the basis of its merits and not just money (the original Battle for Bikini Bottom apparently did not sell very well despite positive reception).

My experience is more on the 2D side of Spongebob— I had that Revenge of the Flying Dutchman/SuperSponge double pack on the GBA. SuperSponge isn’t anything to write home as it kinda sucks, but RoFD on the GBA was a hidden gem that had the misfortune of being lumped in with not one but two bad quality games (the aforementioned SuperSponge as well as the PS2 version of Revenge of the Flying Dutchman, which the GBA game is allegedly based on). I’d describe RoFD on the GBA as a hybrid of Sonic and Metroid with a dash of Mega Man gameplay-wise, which somehow is incredibly fun, easy to learn but hard to master, and fits really really well for Spongebob. 

So I’d be lying if I said I wouldn’t be disappointed if there weren’t any significant puzzle platformer elements on the 3D side of Spongebob games. Still, it wouldn’t ruin the game as a whole for me and I am intrigued.

On 7/2/2019 at 7:24 PM, Mad Convoy said:

I’d be interested in playing this. Don’t know a whole lot about the original, but I mostly hear good things about the original title. Only issues I hear about often are a few challenges seemingly requiring you google the solution first, which is an easy fix for a remake. It’s also heartening that developers and publishers are willing to give a game a second chance on the basis of its merits and not just money (the original Battle for Bikini Bottom apparently did not sell very well despite positive reception).

My experience is more on the 2D side of Spongebob— I had that Revenge of the Flying Dutchman/SuperSponge double pack on the GBA. SuperSponge isn’t anything to write home as it kinda sucks, but RoFD on the GBA was a hidden gem that had the misfortune of being lumped in with not one but two bad quality games (the aforementioned SuperSponge as well as the PS2 version of Revenge of the Flying Dutchman, which the GBA game is allegedly based on). I’d describe RoFD on the GBA as a hybrid of Sonic and Metroid with a dash of Mega Man gameplay-wise, which somehow is incredibly fun, easy to learn but hard to master, and fits really really well for Spongebob. 

So I’d be lying if I said I wouldn’t be disappointed if there weren’t any significant puzzle platformer elements on the 3D side of Spongebob games. Still, it wouldn’t ruin the game as a whole for me and I am intrigued.

I've not played any of the 2D Spongebob games, but I did play RoftD on PS2 and that was some mediocre jank lol. But to give it credit, the original BFBB have some elements in the game that were inspired by the 3D RoFTD game (and made them better). To me, I view BFBB as a really good licensed Banjo Kazooie game. If you like 3D platformers and Spongebob, you'll love this game. Hopefully the remaster lives up to the original's seal of quality. And the original not selling does seem unfortunate as it did get a Greatest Hits if I recall.

As someone who puts this game as 1 of my Top 5 Favorite games, I am beyond stoked that this is getting remastered with extra content!

• Thumbs Up 1

So when do you guys think we'll get legit gameplay? SDCC or Gamescom? Realistically, I'd say the latter.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I’m split on this gameplay demo. On one hand, it’s nor just gorgeous, but it’s faithful as possible to the source material. On the other hand, I know it’s pre-alpha footage, but it shows in a lot of areas, along with being a bit cookie-cutter (also, I was hoping King Jellyfish had at least one new attack).

But hey, I’ll eat this game up regardless. The footage is only pre-alpha.

While I won't say that the remake's artstyle looks bad by any means, does anyone think it looks a bit...overdone compared to the original? Like while the original is a bit on the dated side, it feels a bit more faithful to the artstyle of the show, while the remake feels more like the Crash/Spyro Remake interpretation of Spongebob; very overly colorful palette, a lot more detail in ways that feel strangely off/realistic? given how the show, movies and original game were only as detailed where it was needed...

It's not bad, just weird is all. I know it's early alpha, but yeah.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

While I won't say that the remake's artstyle looks bad by any means, does anyone think it looks a bit...overdone compared to the original? Like while the original is a bit on the dated side, it feels a bit more faithful to the artstyle of the show, while the remake feels more like the Crash/Spyro Remake interpretation of Spongebob; very overly colorful palette, a lot more detail in ways that feel strangely off/realistic? given how the show, movies and original game were only as detailed where it was needed...

It's not bad, just weird is all. I know it's early alpha, but yeah.

I don't think it's quite accurate to judge it as of yet, personally. The problem with these kind of cartoon/animated games is that the pre-alpha artstyle can look pretty off because the additional polish and details haven't been added, and it's especially evident in character models and such. For a key example, look at Sly Cooper Thieves in Time's pre-alpha art-style: 

You can tell this is the case too since a lot of the animations still look like they're lacking additional polish, leaving them somewhat jittery and without weight.

• Thumbs Up 1

Full gameplay demo showing King Jellyfish's fight. 45 minutes compared to the other video's 12 minutes. Also has a developer interview which confirms online and couch co-op.

I really hope they make it so Kelp Forest doesn't suck balls. And is actually visible.

However, I'm most looking forward to the Dutchman's Graveyard. Hells yeah.

IGN demo shows cutscenes of the game, specifically Squidward being chased in Jellyfish Fields.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, 8ther said:

Kinda odd that their straight up reusing the music from the old game instead of remixing it.

Well, it’s only pre-alpha. Those old effects and music are probably just placeholders.

Not just the same music & robot sounds, but also the voice lines are the exact files from the original. Which isn't a bad thing, definitely a different take than Spyro or Crash. But now I'm wondering if Clancy Brown will even voice Mr. Krabs now because of that. Now for the cut content like the Robo-Squidward boss & such, I could see new dialogue being added.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

My thoughts and analysis on the new screenshots, Patrick & Collector's editions (Prices included)!