Awoo.

SRB2 - New Mods and... Hey this game is getting interesting again!

Solister

srb2-title.png

I don't think this game needs a presentation. Sonic Robo Blast 2, a Sonic fan-game built-in up Doom Legacy and likely one of (if not the) most successful Sonic fan-games.

Well, I'm mainly writing this because I think many people, including me, actually are pretty out that the game received some major improvements as well some wads that are so good that looks like an official game. An Example?

Too poor or don't have a powerful machine to play Team Sonic Racing? Well, then I present you: SRB2 Kart!

attachment.php?attachmentid=13686&d=1542

Despite actually not having the same mechanics, and likely being a "remake" of Sonic Drift or properly, Mario Kart with Sonic, this one is being one of the hottest mods of the community. And plus, remember, we're talking about Doom, so likely nearly 90% of everything you see can be modified or complemented with a wad. Don't want 2D Graphics? Why not play it like SEGA Saturn?

DsTdB25XoAQOP_v.jpg

no gif, sorry

But Wait! There's more!

How long do you remember SRB2 has been with us? If you choose 20+ years, good luck, you are right! With a history so long as the Sonic franchise by itself, in a time where 3D Sonic were giving it first steps as this game used Classic Sonic despite the modern design, there's lots of customizable wads there. From simple wads which put Modern Sonic as a new character until Wads which really recreate a Sonic Game in the Engine:

hqdefault.jpg320px-Srb2riders_riders.pngattachment.php?attachmentid=9251&d=14793

From Left to Right: SRB2 Sonic Adventure 2; SRB2 Riders; SRB2 Schoolhouse

You may not exactly really want to play the last one, but I'm sure one of the other two brought your attention. And then, I think this mostly proofs how much SRB2 there's out there. And this is just the begging. There's lot of other adventures creates by the fans itself, and the better of all it, anyone which the minimum of acknowledgement of the Doom Engine can run up for it, after wall deep inside you are playing a modified Doom Legacy.

And then, I think it's mainly this. I did a quick search to find any SRB2 (In general) topic, but haven't find anything, there's isn't much more to talk though. Here some useful links:

SRB2 Website

SRB2 Kart

Low Poly - Compatible either Standalone, either with SRB2 Kart.

SRB2 Riders

SRB2 Forums

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Solister said:

I did a quick search to find any SRB2 (In general) topic, but haven't find anything

image.png.220cd96079e6d95b30b3ccb4b83d645e.png

I probably should've updated that thread when 1.04 rolled around... oops. 

Anywho as I said over there, SRB2 Kart is something I love. I've been on a bit of a break from it recently but I'm planning to jump back in now (and just finished a new mod for it to boot).

13 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

image.png.220cd96079e6d95b30b3ccb4b83d645e.png

I probably should've updated that thread when 1.04 rolled around... oops. 

Anywho as I said over there, SRB2 Kart is something I love. I've been on a bit of a break from it recently but I'm planning to jump back in now (and just finished a new mod for it to boot).

I actually have seen that topic, but I would like to make this more open subject, not one specific mod or wad. SRB2 quite been "revolutionizing" itself in those last months. Btw, I think is up to the mods if they think they should or not merge this topic with yours.

I've loved this game since the mid 2000s. Been following it for a while now and I'm super excited for the upcoming 2.2 release. It looks like it's going to be amazing, maybe my perfect 3D Sonic game. We've already seen implementations of the updated physics in new mod levels. 

Haven't played the Kart mod, it doesn't really look like my thing, buit I definitely can't wait for the next big update. Really hoping we get it this year. The sneak previews look incredible.

• Thumbs Up 1

SRB2 is probably my most played Sonic game at this point. Yes, more than the combined Genesis trilogy, more than the the ridiculous amount of time I spent in the chao gardens of SA2 as a middle school student.

To be quite frank, SRB2 is the only 3D Sonic game I ever come back to outside of a trip down nostalgia lane. The mouse and keyboard controls work perfectly for the kind of platformer it is, to the point where I don't even want to use the (totally fine but less accurate) analog controller option. There is so much freedom and versatility to movement in the game that you might not even notice that slopes haven't been included in the base game yet, although there are plenty of fan made levels and mods that show off how slopes will work in SRB2 2.3.

I could go on for hours about how much I adore this game and the breadth of its community content, but I'd just be repeating myself from previous threads. It's the best fan made Sonic game, and I wish Sonic Team were making products more similar to its design philosophy.

• Thumbs Up 1

My biggest gripe with SRB2 (the base game) is how the level design goes to shit after the first zone.

The levels are massive and there so many stages where you can get lost, and that's a huge issue in a Sonic game. I haven't played the game in years, not sure if they fixed any of that yet.

23 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

My biggest gripe with SRB2 (the base game) is how the level design goes to shit after the first zone.

The levels are massive and there so many stages where you can get lost, and that's a huge issue in a Sonic game. I haven't played the game in years, not sure if they fixed any of that yet.

If you played the game MANY years ago, the level design was not great past the first world. But for years now the level design has been the second best part of the game, right behind the control. The levels are large, expansive, and full of alternate routes and secrets, but the game also does a great job of having levels naturally direct you to the end goal. In its current incarnation, there are almost no points at all in which a player could become reasonably turned around. It's still a linear game, after all, not an engine-test sandbox like most 3D Sonic fan games.

If anyone was having trouble for some reason, it helps to get a lay of the land with a Sonic playthrough first, since he is a ground bound character. If you recklessly fly or glide around as Tails or Knuckles, of course it might be hard to know which direction is forward if you don't already know the stage a bit.

• Thumbs Up 1