Awoo.

Tumblr/Twitter Sonic's latest exploits

NoirSuede

I'm genuinely surprised this poll is still going on. 

I figured they would've just drop the whole thing, after all the fuckery with the votes.

Edited by D.H

Hmm.  Tough match-ups.  Honestly, Shadow has so much popularity and has become so influential that I'm really tempted to vote Sticks just for the sake of balance, but... I said from the beginning that I'd be resolving these match-ups by looking at them through the lens of "who would win in a fight," and in all honesty, I don't see a way for Sticks to have a chance.  It's possible she could catch him off-guard with some completely unpredictable manoeuvre or even luck him into a trap before the fight even begins, but Shadow is just too overpowered.  She'd only stand a chance if he'd just walked away from a tough battle with someone else.  ...Which I'll bear in mind for my votes in the quarterfinals, actually.  So, sigh, Shadow it is.

Knuckles vs. Espio is surprisingly similar - brawn versus stealth, if you like, though it's worth recalling of course that Knuckles is also a master of traps.  If the fight was taking place on Angel Island, Knuckles would definitely win.  If not... well, Knuckles is pretty gullible.  I can see him falling for some trick or other of Espio's quite easily.  As such, I'm not sure how to play it... but I'm tempted to vote Knuckles on the grounds that he has that much more potential.  He also never gives up; gets beaten up by Sonic pretty roundly in Hidden Palace Zone, and immediately gets up and chases off for another fight a second later.  My vote goes to Knuckles.

I'm genuinely surprised this poll is still going on. 

I figured they would've just drop the whole thing, after all the fuckery with the votes.

Why?  It's not as if the vote actually matters or has any direct or meaningful impact.  Added to which, the matchups which get people invested enough to actually rig the vote are also saying something interesting about the fanbase.

Why?  It's not as if the vote actually matters or has any direct or meaningful impact.  Added to which, the matchups which get people invested enough to actually rig the vote are also saying something interesting about the fanbase.

Well, I kinda figured SEGA just stopped caring about the whole thing. The fact that it's been two weeks since the last round also led me to believe that the poll was dropped.

Why on Earth did everyone jump to the conclusion that Shadow may struggle after such a measly number of votes? It's only just begun. Both matches are likely to receive a lot of votes so it's going to be hard to be sure what the end result will look like until at least a few days and several thousand votes later.

While I doubt we'll see any immediate reaction to the poll, it does appear that SEGA is somewhat interested if the blogs are anything to go by:

6W8ziHu.png

As you can see, it was Blaze who ultimately won the fight, edging over Metal Sonic by only roughly 300 votes. Talk about a close match!

Starting next week, we’ll have the two newest match-ups available here to vote on: Sticks VS. Shadow, and Knuckles VS. Espio!

In the meantime, I’ve been reading a lot of your comments across the blogs and various forums, and wanted to add a few notes about the Showdown and what it means for the future:

– Though the Sonic Showdown is primarily for fun, it’s also a great insight into which side characters are most popular among the fanbase.
– That said, sometimes the internet works in mysterious ways. We started this knowing that certain characters might win inexplicably, just because, well, internets. Don’t worry – this may be a guideline for fan sentiment, but we know it may not be 100% accurate.
– Beyond just noting if a character won or lost, we’re also taking a look at the total votes per character for many of these polls. It’s not just about percentages!

It's also worth noting that they're paying attention to the number of votes as well. While Metal Sonic lost out to Blaze, they both kind of won in the end due to the immense amount of support they received. Meanwhile Vector's win may not mean a great deal by comparison, given that a relative few seemed to be interested in him and Rouge.

Edited by Pawn
  • Thumbs Up 4

Voted for Shadow. I got nothing against Sticks at all, but Shadow is a much better character to me, hands down. And no amount of disproportionate Fandom bias is going to change that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Been waiting for this to return, just so I could give Espio my support. Not surprised the votes are going to Knuckles though.

As to Shadow and Sticks... Shadow. He was one of the first I was introduced to with this franchise, and in certain ways resembles me and my outlook.

So, now the polls have finally continued.

Sticks vs Shadow: sigh... If I would only count Shadow in SA2, I would vote him. But because of SEGA had to bring him back and ShTH happened, I give my vote to Sticks.

Knuckles vs Espio: I really like both of them but of course I vote Knuckles.

• Thumbs Up 1

Does anyone else think this is just for amiibos in Sonic & Mario in the 2016 Rio Olympic Games, I never thought of it before now but all the characters here are going to be in the game

Does anyone else think this is just for amiibos in Sonic & Mario in the 2016 Rio Olympic Games, I never thought of it before now but all the characters here are going to be in the game

No, I don't think so. The Sonic Showdown has nothing to do with any future plan to make any new game. It's just a social media exercise.:)

Yeah, all characters who joined The Sonic Showdown are going to be playable characters in M&S at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, except Charmy, Big, Cream and Chao, but it's currently unknown whether Espio is a playable character or not.

I'm honestly more surprised SEGA hasn't gone on an Amiibo craze with or without a poll. Lord knows the things are a cult in terms of how much money they suck out of people.

There's a reason everyone and their sister magically had a similar idea to Skylanders. I can only imagine how fast the fandom would eat up a full-fledged line of Sonic Amiibos.

Edited by Garbage King Ogilvie
  • Thumbs Up 4

But Amiibos are for Nintendo to capitalise on their IPs, third parties may get a bit of service too but it's not theirs to dictate what gets made. 

But Amiibos are for Nintendo to capitalise on their IPs, third parties may get a bit of service too but it's not theirs to dictate what gets made. 

Sure, that's the original intent, but business is all about two people wanting what the other has.

SEGA would just need to somehow convince Nintendo to allow more Sonic Amiibos.

That would most likely be part of a massive expansion of the Amiibo line, though. Why limit oneself to just SEGA and Nintendo?

They are still doing the character poll even tho anybody can cheat in it? Unless they fix the problem what's the point?

It's a good thing the character poll isn't going to be used for anything...

Regardless I voted for Sticks obviously. After that I voted Knuckles.

Given that Yacht Club Games were able to license the Amiibo technology from Nintendo to make their own third-party Shovel Knight Amiibo, it seems likely that Sega could absolutely do the same if they really wanted to.

• Thumbs Up 2

They are still doing the character poll even tho anybody can cheat in it? Unless they fix the problem what's the point?

The point is fan engagement, not accuracy.

Though engagement is more important on Facebook than Twitter. On Facebook, every Like, Comment, and Share increases the odds of that post turning up on the feed of someone who has Liked the Page. In addition, when you yourself Like, Comment, or Share, any future post by that Page has an increased chance of turning up on your feed.

I don't think engagement has a similar hardcoded effect on Twitter, but it never hurts to keep people interested in checking.

Edited by Garbage King Ogilvie

They do have the hashtag thing, and that's important enough that companies like WWE won't let up on it.

But then again, I have minimal experience in Twitter so meh.

Edited by WittyUsername®

The way you people are talking about this is as if you think there's a genuine conspiracy going on. Some people are cheating, sure, but then others are cheating in the opposite direction. The trends you see here are pretty representative regardless, because both vote and cheating show there's an effort made to push the character forwards at all. The more I see lamenting about the vote stuffing, the more it starts to sound less "oh no it's corrupted" and more "oh no the character I wanted isn't winning".

Therefore, I am now accusing a vague "all of you" of stuffing the ballot for Shadow, because Sticks clearly should win.

• Thumbs Up 4

The way you people are talking about this is as if you think there's a genuine conspiracy going on. Some people are cheating, sure, but then others are cheating in the opposite direction. The trends you see here are pretty representative regardless, because both vote and cheating show there's an effort made to push the character forwards at all. The more I see lamenting about the vote stuffing, the more it starts to sound less "oh no it's corrupted" and more "oh no the character I wanted isn't winning".

Therefore, I am now accusing a vague "all of you" of stuffing the ballot for Shadow, because Sticks clearly should win.

That's nonsense. It's like saying Tour de France is fair because everybody is doping.

We don't know whether the poll is manipulated equally by both sides. It's unclear what exactly is going on. We just know in fact that there is something not legit going on. To assume that it is somehow fair because you don't know what is going on is rash.

I voted Sticks because Shadow is too much over the top for me.

And I got problem with the next round. I like Knuckles' character but only as the way he was before. I feel as though him winning would send the message to SEGA that we actually like the deformed portrayal of Knuckles today.

I feel like voting for him is like I was: "I'll love this character no matter what, despite how badly misinterpreted he is nowadays". I am not sure who to chose...

I voted for Shadow because I'm not really all the fond of Sticks.

And I chose Espio because... well I really like Espio. Not that I don't like Knuckles... I just like Espio more.

We don't know whether the poll is manipulated equally by both sides. It's unclear what exactly is going on. We just know in fact that there is something not legit going on. To assume that it is somehow fair because you don't know what is going on is rash.

Well, let's put it this way. /v/ the source known here for cheating and blamed for everything, generally on most days, hate Shadow, like Sticks, and would do everything to make any character beat Shadow just because. So cheating to Shadow's benefit is, not guaranteed but most likely, coming from a different source from what we know was going on in previous votes.

After I voted for Shadow & Knuckles once two days ago, this occurs:

image.thumb.jpg.361c99ed19ecbcb1b71d929c

Maybe because I added two tabs for Sticks vs Shadow & Knuckles vs Espio in my phone?