Awoo.

Did the series already reached its limit?

Rowl

Maybe the world isn’t enough for Eggman? He could try conquering the entire universe, if not beyond. Imagine that, Eggman controlling the entire universe and beyond. 

4 hours ago, Skull Leader said:

...after almost a decade of "Sonic and Tails vs Eggman" stories.

Not even...

It was just Colors and Generations.

8 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

Maybe the world isn’t enough for Eggman? He could try conquering the entire universe, if not beyond. Imagine that, Eggman controlling the entire universe and beyond. 

Him or a different villain.

Either way, Super Sonic Galaxy.

8 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Not even...

It was just Colors and Generations.

That's true.

If you're looking at things from a linear power scaling perspective I could definitely see that it has reached its limits, but I think it has near infinite potential if you go back to being an adventure series where Sonic goes to a new place every game with a story that gets the audience invested and then when the story is over Sonic runs off to his next adventure. That format worked pretty well for the most even with the growing threats through pretty much every Sonic game to date. Sonic goes somewhere for whatever reason, gets involved with the locals, saves the day, moves on. The scale of the conflict is really inconsequential as well in my opinion since Sonic stories typically rely on Sonic meeting someone and having an interaction with them over the course of the story. If there is one problem with this setup it is that when done well the story specific characters get really popular and start being brought back in main games instead of just spin-offs.

27 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

If you're looking at things from a linear power scaling perspective I could definitely see that it has reached its limits, but I think it has near infinite potential if you go back to being an adventure series where Sonic goes to a new place every game with a story that gets the audience invested and then when the story is over Sonic runs off to his next adventure. 

I see what you did there.

27 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

If there is one problem with this setup it is that when done well the story specific characters get really popular and start being brought back in main games instead of just spin-offs.

What about the [near] opposite?

2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

What about the [near] opposite?

Well outside of Zavok and arguably Silver I can't think of unpopular characters who started showing up everywhere even when their stories were wrapped up.

Silver's definitely not unpopular anymore.

Zavok, however, is someone they still push even after most deemed him a one-off villain.

Also, I agree that the series doesn't need a bigger and touger villain, as Solaris is already the peak of that and I doubt anything is going to top it. However, there's a lot more elements they can use to give the characters more development and play on their weaknesses to try and have them overcome those flaws, and a manipulative villain could be cool. 

This series hasn't reached its limit but it's stories are becoming more dry with each game holding in fear that someone will be upset about their choices like with this thing about Ian Flynn "growing" Amy's personality in to something else.

• 2 weeks later...

I know how they could indeed top Sonic Forces; have Sonic’s planet get DESTROYED. Not merely cracked like in Unleashed, I mean obliterated. Now the goal is to try and repair the planet, or at least avenge it. Basically, the whole game is in space again, except with bigger stakes than ever before.