Awoo.

Which Sonic Game deserves a sequel the most?

DCFCSonic20

5 minutes ago, Plasme said:

Sonic R's awful though. I enjoy it, and it's a great piece of gaming trivia, but it plays horrendously and it's a terrible game in actuality. I don't know why anyone would want to go back to that. Especially when the Sumo Digital racing games are great. It would just be a massive risk of hurting the franchise's reputation further for the case of nostalgia and the gimmick of a Sonic racing game out of a car.

Because it be a chance of doing that type of game right?

Especially with advances and variations in gameplay technology compared to that of the Saturn. Besides, it's a spinoff game.

Just now, DabigRG said:

Because it be a chance of doing that type of game right?

Especially with advances and variations in gameplay technology compared to that of the Saturn. Besides, it's a spinoff game.

Sure, but at that point you might as well make a new game. Why call back to an old game that's notorious for being absolutely awful.

Also, there's the issue of the soundtrack. Do we emulate Sonic R's dubious decision of an all vocal soundtrack? Because it wouldn't be a faithful sequel if it dropped that. And personally, I think it wouldn't be wise to do that again.

1 minute ago, Plasme said:

Sure, but at that point you might as well make a new game. Why call back to an old game that's notorious for being absolutely awful.

Also, there's the issue of the soundtrack. Do we emulate Sonic R's dubious decision of an all vocal soundtrack? Because it wouldn't be a faithful sequel if it dropped that. And personally, I think it wouldn't be wise to do that again.

It WOULD be a new game, essentially. You know, unless they deliberate try to emulate those exact controls and handling.

Just now, DabigRG said:

It WOULD be a new game, essentially. You know, unless they deliberate try to emulate those exact controls and handling.

Then why not just make a new game rather than a Sonic R 2. Why make a game which comes with all that baggage?

I just don't see the point. There's nothing unique or interesting about the game you can take from making a sequel. Not like other bad games like Sonic Adventure. It's just a terrible on foot racer that is redeemed in how odd and 'so good it's bad' it is.

Since no one mentioned it, I'd be up for a sequel to Sonic the Fighters.

While the slapstick wackiness of the original made it impossible for me to be mad at the game for it's dated and clunky gameplay, I would love to see a sequel that addresses the issues of the first, while retaining the cartoony slapstick elements and maybe add more to it.

I'm really curious to see how the modern cast would look, especially when receiving the stronger blows that would cause the to deform and even be flattened.

Also it wouldn't be complete without a proper soundtrack that matches the style of the original.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

1 minute ago, Plasme said:

Then why not just make a new game rather than a Sonic R 2. Why make a game which comes with all that baggage?

I just don't see the point. There's nothing unique or interesting about the game you can take from making a sequel. Not like other bad games like Sonic Adventure. It's just a terrible on foot racer that is redeemed in how odd and 'so good it's bad' it is.

Why make a game at all?

Like I said, it would likely be a new game essentially. Which implies it wouldn't be a sequel.

Sonic R is kinda sloppy and it doesn't have a lot of content, but I still think it's a pretty fun little game, I don't think it has a particularly bad reputation aside from the music (which is far from universally reviled anyway), and a modern-day sequel would be so different in presentation and execution that I don't think the quality of the first would have much effect on its reception.

• Thumbs Up 1

Which game DESERVES a sequel? I'd probably go with Sonic Unleashed, since it seems like it did a lot of things right and most people seem to look back on it positively nowadays - perhaps a sequel that fixed the werehog stages and kept everything that everyone loved about the 'normal' Sonic stages would be a huge hit. Either that or Shadow the Hedgehog, either going full-blown dark and serious or totally embracing the cheese and edge in a very self-aware manner.

The game I'd personally WANT a sequel to, though, is Sonic Forces - I'd love another game with MORE content, LONGER levels, LONGER cutscenes, BETTER controls, MORE avatar customization, bringing Infinite BACK and doing a lot more with him... I'd be all over that in a heartbeat. xD

I'm not sure about "deserves", But I really, really want Sonic Rush 3.

I want more of Blaze's world since that's a blank slate for potential. I want more of that overt, shameless emphasis on style, flair and speed with the boost and trick systems. I want the mechanics tightened because while I think they're already really good I also think there's a lot more you could do with it with an open mind to make it a bit more interactive and challenging. Ideally it'd lean harder into it's stylistic influences to distinguish itself, maybe even embracing a more JSR/Sonic Riders hard shading look.

• Thumbs Up 4

You know, when DCFC asked about game(s) deserving of  a sequel, I was primarily thinking from the story/narrative standpoint. 

However, Advance, R, and Fighters are indeed games that I feel could be really fun to take back up and/or renew.

1 hour ago, Skull Leader said:

Since no one mentioned it, I'd be up for a sequel to Sonic the Fighters.

While the slapstick wackiness of the original made it impossible for me to be mad at the game for it's dated and clunky gameplay, I would love to see a sequel that addresses the issues of the first, while retaining the cartoony slapstick elements and maybe add more to it.

I'm really curious to see how the modern cast would look, especially when receiving the stronger blows that would cause the to deform and even be flattened.

Also it wouldn't be complete without a proper soundtrack that matches the style of the original.

I'd be down with another Sonic fighting game but I think I'd rather see Sonic Battle 2. Partially because I loved the art style of that game.

22 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Sonic R is kinda sloppy and it doesn't have a lot of content, but I still think it's a pretty fun little game, I don't think it has a particularly bad reputation aside from the music (which is far from universally reviled anyway), and a modern-day sequel would be so different in presentation and execution that I don't think the quality of the first would have much effect on its reception.

Sonic R is notorious for its terrible controls and being a bad game overall. It's one of the games I hear most frequently when people take the piss out of Sonic (other than 06 and Boom).

Sonic Advance series could use a fourth game, fixing up the various(although not too horrible) issues of the three advanced titles. It’s honestly more palatable of a series than Mania’s potential sequel. With its addition of more complexity in its mechanics like Tag Team, Boost Mode, Ring Mechanic and Air tricks, I think SA’s games can push 2D Sonic forward.

But if I were to look at a potential sequel that exceeds the former, it would have to be Sonic World Adventure. In Sega’s current state, I doubt they can pull it off properly but SWA has all of the necessities to be a lovely sequel. Even the Werehog can benefit from a second game by streamlining its combat to mirror that of DMC 3 or Ninja Gaiden.

I would not be unhappy if SEGA announced Sonic Colors 2 for Switch.

It's not a perfect 3D game but it's still the most fun I've had with a Modern Sonic-only game in a long time. SEGA seems to love the Wisps so why not just embrace a sequel instead of shoehorning them into everything else.