Awoo.

Who is your favorite Sonic character?

SonicandShadowrules

any incarnation of Tails.

there has got to be love for the naive kid fox genius out there! on top of being the top echelon of cuteness, he has proven time and time again that he can compete with eggman both in scientific understanding and all around knowledge of robotics and engineering. not to mention he has saved sonic on multiple occasions and is more than just a tag along. it does make me kind of sad that he is not getting AS much recognition these days due to how "useless" sega is making him appear in games as of late (namely in Sonic Forces). i have loved playing as this fox boy in the games ever since sonic 2 when he was debuted.  

Dr Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik. Definitely one of my most favorite villains of all time. Delightfully bombastic and entertaining, a likeable character overall and a heinous villain but not a heartless psycho either (outside of Archie and Satam, neither of which are really my thing). Bald, brainy, cold-hearted, a genius at heart and a complicated guy. Eggman is just plain awesome.

Not to say I don't like everyone else either. The entire main cast (with a few exceptions like the overused Zavok) are such charming and engaging characters that it's honestly hard to pick one above the rest. But Eggman goes sliiightly above the others for being such a standout villain who doesn't need the presence of the heroes to be entertaining. When watching AOSTH, I looked forward to the Robotnik parts more than the Sonic parts. The doctor is a character who can really carry a scene by himself.

Tails for sure.  I wasn’t too far off his age when he debuted (yeah, I’m old) and I’ve always been the ‘Player 2’ type throughout my life supporting other people in the spotlight so there was that. He’s cute and adorkable and I adore the bond with Sonic. It’s wholesome and absolutely my favourite thing in the entire franchise. Which also makes Sonic my second favourite because of how he acts around Tails.

Recent games haven’t been kind to Tails’ character but thankfully Boom, IDW and Mania Adventures have represented him better. There’s still a lot which I feel that hasn’t been explored about the character. Is he just a really smart kid with a birth defect, or is there untapped potential somewhere in there as a young 9-tailed-fox not yet recognising what he is? Both options have been kicked around for years and I’d love to see the latter addressed in a game or story but it probably never will be.

Big the Cat (No surprise there)- I played heroes a lot, and the flaming fishing pole really appealed to me. The idea of a character who doesn't have anything to do with the plot getting caught up in Sonic's drama was a cool idea too. And his theme is awesome.

The Chaotix- Again, because of Heroes. Not the missions, but the banter and voices. X did them dirty, and Vector under penders was atrocious, but aside from that, I've liked them in all their appearances, big or small.

Silver- I hated him in 06, loved him ever since. His powerset is cool, and so was his design. Once they moved away from making him a Kyle Reese parody, he was a way better character and I liked him for it. 

Big the Cat, of course. I love fat characters, and I have a massive soft spot for the slow or “dimwitted” types. Big is just the sweetest gentle giant who only wants to live his simple life with his best buddy. I find his section of SA1 unironically kind of relaxing to play too, and he has some really nice bits of music associated with him; not just his theme song, but his theme in Emerald Coast.

I also want to give a shoutout to his characterisation in the Archie Comics.

7-E559-C6-E-D31-C-4785-9-F90-58-BF9-E185
BB419-F65-4-BE9-4317-B128-36870-E75-F680

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My favorite characters are Tails and Knuckles!  When they both first came out, I used to play as them while my sister played as Sonic!

I loved Tails because he's a smart little kid who is able to build things whenever they are needed and I love his close friendship with Sonic.  I also think he's one of the cutest characters in the franchise!

I really loved Knuckles because his backstory is pretty interesting (being the last of his kind and not trusting Sonic at first due to Robotnik's trickery).  Also, it's great that we have a strong character in the series!

And lately, I've been liking Shadow a lot, especially since he has one of the most tragic backstories ever written in the franchise and "Sonic Adventure 2," his debut appearance, remains to be one of my all-time favorite games!

• Thumbs Up 2

Back for round 4, eh?

Since I did answer this pretty succinctly, I guess it'll be a neat exercise to itemize my current thoughts on characters overall.

Favorite: Eggman

Like: Knuckles Vector Cream Nega Jet Orbot Zazz Zor Sticks

Okay: Sonic Amy Metal Big Tikal Chaos Rouge Vanilla Omega Tower Blaze Wave Storm Silver Cubot Zavok Zik

Meh: Tails Charmy Espio Omochao Shadow Zomom

Dislike: Zeena

Knuckles

The Babylon Rogues

Vector 

Sonic (specially his current IDW incarnation)

Fang

Omega

After years without caring about him, I finally saw the light and began to like Shadow after replaying Sonic Adventure 2: Battle last year too.

Metal Sonic. But with that said, I've never been able to truly rationalise why I like him so much. I'm ususally the kind of guy who likes to analyze and theorize about things, including the exact reasons why I like something. I could write whole essays on why Bart is my favorite Simpsons character or why Dr Doom is my favorite Marvel character. But with Metal Sonic, I just can't even pretend that there is anything more to my fandom than the obvious truth: Metal Sonic is fucking cool.

I'm pretty picky when it comes to Metal Sonic myself so it is easy for me to say what I like about him. He is Sonic, if he was an Eggman Robot and that is just the most fascinating thing about him to me. It's why I don't like him in Heroes or anytime he expresses a personality which seems to have no basis in Sonic's own. The OVA is to me the perfect encapsulation of who Metal Sonic is and I would love to see that explored. For as much as Eggman says in IDW that he is designed for combat and destruction, that just isn't all there is too him. First off, if no one noticed he if he was aware of danger to Eggman he constantly moved to be in a defensive position. That's a trait of Sonic's and that makes him interesting to me. How does Sonic as a voiceless Eggman robot typically fueled by a constant need to destroy his organic counterpart tick. We've seen his autonomy on more than enough occasions and sometimes I would like to see more of the Sonic side of Metal Sonic explored. Honestly, when I see him rubbing his nose shaking his finger that is when he comes through to me as the character I enjoy; Sonic, but an Eggman Robot. there is something about that both fascinating, and yes, cool.

I go back and forth a little on Metal Sonic, though I can't say I disliked outside of maybe his implementation in Forces.

"Robot duplicate of Hero" is an classic trope that I honestly don't think is used all that much nowadays outside of homages and easy explanations. So Metal Sonic, including being named Metal as opposed of Mecha or friggin Robo, is cool holdover that also seemingly gets away with not really fitting into his creator's general trademarks. Things like the Archie reboot and yes the OVA did some pretty notable takes on the character and the context of his involvement in Heroes, Rivals 2, and from what little I know CD is also kinda neat. That said, he is ultimately just a robot that isn't even the first or last of a line of knockoffs that was again lucky enough to stick around all this time and has a somewhat inexplicable ability to occasionally make him seem a little more than that.

23 hours ago, batson said:

Metal Sonic. But with that said, I've never been able to truly rationalize why I like him so much.

Same boat. I mean, I wrote fanfic where I explore depth of his personality, but that's something fanboys can appreciate about him, not newcomers introduced to the character. I guess we must admit that we're drawn to skin deep attributes, like cool designs and killer robot personality.

My personal top 3

1 Metal Sonic
2 Shadow (ironically I didn't liked him at first. But then I watched this song and everything kinda clicked in my head. I guess I like his complex background, with fairly straightforward motivation)
3 Knuckles (especially I liked him in Sonic X, when he was the stubborn, never stopping, independent, smarter than people think, actual romance with Rouge, toughest guy in town with mysterious past. Nowadays it's hard to feel same beats, even under Flynn. I don't mind Boom/Mania/Uganda Knuckles, but he's not the Red Rad I feel in love.

Other top ones would be Chaos, Marine, Rouge, Vector, Mephiles, but overall I like or really like all main Games characters (maybe Espio Mighty, Ray, Orbot, Cubot, Deadly Six, Nega and Rouges are tolerable or just okay).

I don't want to talk to much about cartoons and comics characters, but  Elias Acorn was my easy favorite from all spin-offs.

• Thumbs Up 1

Shadow -  Alot of people seem to choose there favs based on how much they like they're characters/personalit8 or how iconic and memorable their own design is graphically. That's how I see shadow, not because of his backstory or discussion on his moral complexities. Hes just a cool looking and macho empowering badass with alot of cool factor. Every action series needs a tough dark super scene stealer to show off the edgy potential of being the closest thing to a villain as a hero, like batman. People always like knuckles and metal sonic because they play like total badasses in functioning active way, but shadow is always the one who makes fans feel they have to work through how his character works and decide whether or not hes a good character or not. Shadow represents something that should be easy to like by aall sonic tastes and that's bringing something cool to enjoy whether from playing as him or investing in his story which is secondary to his attitude and way he asserts his confidence and strength.

Hes Sonic but grown up to me, and who doesnt love Sonic?

Rouge - is easy because shes someone who lightens shadow up. Shes a superior love interest to him than to Knuckles. I always felt she plays a much better role as shadows chaos than sonic does. And as a shipper, she gives him humanity that he cant get from any other character that's not Maria. Her smug and seductiveness is cool but it's not endearing to anyone but shadow imo who I feel is cool enough to resist. Basically telling how hes to cool to fall for a chick like her and she has to impress him if she wants to make it in his heart. So shes like Grown up Amy too.

• Thumbs Up 1

Silver because he just wants to fix his home time. He is so sweet yet so naive.

Tails because he’s very loyal and can come up with pretty good solutions to problems.

Blaze because she was willing to sacrifice herself to save the world.

Mighty The Armadillo! He has power like knuckles, speed like ray, and attitude like sonic.  The archie comics gave birth to him, and sonic mania revived him

but other than that, just THE WHOLE SONIC MULTIVERSE 

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, SonicSenpai13 said:

Mighty The Armadillo! He has power like knuckles, speed like ray, and attitude like sonic.  The archie comics gave birth to him, and sonic mania revived him

Mighty is awesome!! I missed him and Ray so much...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

2 minutes ago, IndigoTheHedgehog said:

Mighty is awesome!! I missed him and Ray so much...

same here, did you read the comics? (archie)

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic. Definitely and absolutely Sonic. He’s my favorite character overall too. I love him more than any other character in tv, movies, games, books etc. He’s cool, cute, heroic, fun and caring. Everyone has 1 thing or character they’re emotionally attached to. For me it’s him.

At the time I was also in TMNT (still am) but when I first saw and played Sonic it was just a different connection.

Of course I love many of the other Sonic characters too. Don’t really have an order though.

Metal Sonic is awesome. I’d like to see him become a good guy. At least temporarily. It’s one of the reasons I really liked the Amy Mania cartoon. It made me think he might actually reconsider his stance after she showed him compassion and Robotnik just left him.

On 3/19/2020 at 10:08 PM, SonicSenpai13 said:

Mighty and Ray are Classic game characters.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Robotnik/Eggman is a pretty amazing character, who can go through multiple very different physical and contextual incarnations, but always retain the same characterization of "goofy but cruelly evil" and the same traits and goals. 

He's also always had the best actors, and some really great different designs. "Death Egg" is such a great name for a super-weapon. Obviously it's a riff on Death Star but it's somehow better by being funnier/goofier. It's still threatening in the story, but more amusing in its oddly narcissistic extravagance to the viewer.

I like Knuckles a lot, especially with all of his insane lore baggage attached. He just debuted at the right time when I was a kid for me to think it was the coolest design I've ever seen. His immediate importance in both the games & comics from 93-99 but absence from cartoons/toys made him even cooler by his exclusivity. For the longest time, nobody even noticed how bad Ken Penders was, just because we were that starved for Knuckles content.

But yeah Sonic is the best one, overall.