Awoo.

Character and Circuit Discussion for Team Sonic Racing 🏁

jgcatindig

5 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Cream(and Omega) was specifically created/designed with her role in Team Rose in mind.

Actually, she wasn't since her first appearance was Sonic Advance 2. I associate her more with Team Rose since, aside from Sonic X, that's the first time I realized she was a thing that existed.

Either way, I don't think is an argument about whose rational to include or not. Technically everyone is a rational inclusion, even other SEGA IP characters. They put Nights, AiAi, Ulala, Billy Hatcher, Amigo, and Beat in the Riders games after all. It's just a matter of this roster being pint sized.

This should have been treated as SEGA's smash bros. They're not planning on doing an "EVERYONE IS HERE!" for this though. 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Actually, she wasn't since her first appearance was Sonic Advance 2. I associate her more with Team Rose since, aside from Sonic X, that's the first time I realized she was a thing that existed.

She was created for Heroes(or apparently X, according to some source), but was added to Advance 2 to help make the game fresher and since that would serve as a sooner introduction.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Either way, I don't think is an argument about whose rational to include or not. Technically everyone is a rational inclusion, even other SEGA IP characters.

This should have been treated as SEGA's smash bros. They're not planning on doing an "EVERYONE IS HERE!" for this though. 

Dang straight!

38 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

It's just a matter of this roster being pint sized.

"Pint sized roster" might be an overstatement. Last pint I had left me pretty satisfied. ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

I think fifteen would be a fine racing spin-off roster size for some franchises.  But for the Sonic franchise, and for a game using the antiquated Heroes Team system, and especially for a game which relative to its predecessor cut out huge swathes of its roster specifically in order to include more Sonic characters - well, it feels a bit limited.  It pretty much guarantees that there aren't going to be many surprises or creative choices; and where there are, they feel weird and inconsistent.  Omachao as a racer is one thing, and I actually think that having the character who exists to give tutorials become a legitimate playable character has the potential to be amusing (though I don't have nearly enough faith in this game's writing to believe it'll live up to that potential); but Omachao replacing Cream, in the context of Team Rose, is very strange.  It'll be interesting to see if they edit the probable Team Chaotix, and how they handle the fifth team.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

On 8/13/2018 at 8:55 PM, DabigRG said:

She was created for Heroes(or apparently X, according to some source), but was added to Advance 2 to help make the game fresher and since that would serve as a sooner introduction.

I remember this being said around the time of Sonic Heroes. Does anyone know the source for it?

EDIT: Found it: http://info.sonicretro.org/Yuji_Naka_interview_by_Sega_Europe_(January_30,_2004)

Edited by Pengi
  • Thumbs Up 1

Rejoice, Silver and Blaze fans while you probably dance on the graves of Espio and Charmy.

But yeah, that's a pretty weird team to say the least. I guess Vector is short on money yet again.

8 minutes ago, Bobnik said:

Rejoice, Silver and Blaze fans while you probably dance on the graves of Espio and Charmy.

But yeah, that's a pretty weird team to say the least. I guess Vector is short on money yet again.

SEGA can't care less.

I wanted it to be:

-Original Team Sonic

-Original Team Rose

-Original Team Dark

-Original Team Chaotix.

-Silver-Blaze-Marine.

• Thumbs Up 1

A minute of silence for all 3 fans of Charmy Bee.

Real talk, glad to see Blaze. I honestly just expected the original TC to be kept but I’m perfectly OK with being wrong!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 2

I was right. I've never wanted so badly to be wrong but I was right.

On 8/5/2018 at 5:43 PM, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Well, like I said when it was revealed, I think the Omochao and the other chao in a car together idea is a really great one.

The only issue really is just how small the roster is. It'd be a much cooler thing if this worry about the collective main and secondary cast getting in wasn't hanging over us. 

I'm still technically waiting for the new Team Chaotix to be revealed as Vector, Silver, and Blaze or something like that, personally. 

Remember folks, when it comes to Sonic Team, pessimism and believing that they'll do the thing you hate the most will always make you right in the end. At least if you're me.

I can't ever play as the Modern Chaotix individually. Not even in a racer. I knew it would never happen. Silver and Blaze's popularity always wins out, in every game after 06 they've always shown up as a pair on the roster of these party games and not the other two Chaotix. That's how it works and will always continue to work. I don't want anyone to ever speculate anything else ever again. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1

They could always go with cloning animations between characters to save on money and space. Porting over stuff from last-generation’s games as well. 

6 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

SEGA can't care less.

I wanted it to be:

-Original Team Sonic

-Original Team Rose

-Original Team Dark

-Original Team Chaotix.

-Silver-Blaze-Marine.

That would be a Sonic racing game without Eggman.

9 hours ago, Bobnik said:

That's a pretty weird team set up. This is the second time I see Vector jumping ship to another team... guess there goes what VEDJ-F said about ST's views on the Chaotix and keeping them together.

Personally, while I doubted Charmy would show up, it's strange that Espio (who I'd argue has a more close relation with Vector) was left out.

I suppose the last team to be revealed will include the good old doc. Hope his partners are characters that at least make sense, like Metal Sonic (who appeared in the previous racing games developed by Sumo) and hopefully a vehicle piloted by both Orbot and Cubot. 

Blaze's car makes me think of a Hot Wheels car in a very old game that I played before I really love Vector's car its so metal like and we get closer look at Amy's car!  That Ice track is giving me a Fast Racing Neo feeling.    

Gamescom-TSR-15 2.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

And people thought the Chao on Team Rose was a weird choice. Still, I'm happy to see Blaze and the team's cars look pretty cool.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Skull Leader said:

guess there goes what VEDJ-F said about ST's views on the Chaotix and keeping them together

Nah, it still holds true...just not in racing games it seems. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

Nah, it still holds true...just not in racing games it seems. 

And then they'll announce that Team Chaotix will be appearing in "Sonic  Heroes II" and Vector's gonna be teamed up with Rouge and Shadow.

• Chuckle 1

So,  it is done huh?

I'd probably be better off looking for a Team Children DLC with:

Charmy: Speed

Cream: Tech

Marine: Power

But where does that put Espio? On a possible Team Dreamcast maybe? 

Espio: Speed

Tikal: Tech

Chaos Zero: Power

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/23/2018 at 7:38 PM, LukA8 said:

"Hi I'm Silver, I come from the future, this is Blaze from another dimension who's also my best friend for some reason and we randomly met this fat alligator on the street, so now we're a team!"

...actually, that sounds a lot like Sonic Heroes.

Interesting how so many of us are used to Sega logic by now that we call their nonsense moves.

On a more positive note, at least Team Vector's cars look more interesting than what we've seen from Team Rose and Team Dark.

Vector's Tailgator is much more pimped than how its concept art looked on the billboards and even has speakers on its back, Silver's ride looks straight outta the future Apple Store and Blaze's looks like something the Queen would ride..if she were a cat.

Now I'm interested to see who Eggman is going to bring along as his third member. I wouldn't be surprised if it was Zavok.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's how it should have been:

Team Sonic:

1. Sonic (Speed)
  2. Tails (Technique)
  3. Knuckles (Power)

Team Dark:

1. Shadow (Speed)
  2. Rouge (Technique)
  3. Silver (Power)

Team Rose:

1. Blaze (Speed)
  2. Cream (Technique)
  3. Amy (Power)

Team Chaotix:

1. Espio (Speed)
  2. Charmy (Technique)
  3. Vector (Power)

Team Eggman:

1. Metal Sonic (Speed)
  2. Orbot & Cubot (Technique)
  3. Eggman (Power)

You can switch Silver and Rouge from power to technique if you want, but being a spy, I think Rouge fits better the technique type. Amy is power because she has never been known as a fast character, as well as the fact that she fights with an hammer. You can replace Orbot & Cubot with Infinite if you want. They should have selected the type for the characters with more freedom, since in this game, it's not about the actual characters' skills but about the type of car they drive.

Now, about cuts. Big the cat. As much as I like him, he's not that important, and he's definitely a character I wouldn't mind if he only appears as an NPC. He was in Team Rose to fill an hole, he was already unfitting, so now that Blaze is a thng, Big should have been replaced instead. Omega... I know that he may have some fans, though, Omega is one of the least interesting characters in the franchise. He's just a badnik, more or less... a Egg Robo-like badnik. Story wise, he's just "I hate eggman because I'm programmed like this, it was an error but still". There is no lore, no depth, nothing interesting about the character... so, that's the first character I would remove when I need an additional slot, especially when you already have a team with Eggman and, to an extent, the Egg Pawns in the game. He was introduced in the series to replace E102 gamma and that's its only purpose.

Oh, I forgot... Omochao can just die. If they wanted to represent the chao gardens, they could have put an hero and dark chao in Cream's car, along with Cheese: she's the chao girl and a more consistent character than Omochao the Tutorial.

That's all, 2 cuts, all the relevant cast is in, and the teams make a lot more sense. Was this so hard to do?

To be honest, I don't want Orbot and Cubot, I wanted a team of villains and they are more lackeys than anything, I wanted Infinite but at this point I believe Zavok will be part of the team, because of that thing seen in the Mania Plus dev diary.

On 8/16/2018 at 5:25 PM, Skull Leader said:

Personally, while I doubted Charmy would show up, it's strange that Espio (who I'd argue has a more close relation with Vector) was left out.

I suppose the last team to be revealed will include the good old doc. Hope his partners are characters that at least make sense, like Metal Sonic (who appeared in the previous racing games developed by Sumo) and hopefully a vehicle piloted by both Orbot and Cubot. 

Well, actually, it isn't strange Espio was left out. He usually is. Espio and Charmy are kind of the exact opposite of Blaze and Silver in terms of playability in spin-offs. Since 2006, excluding mobile games, Espio's been playable in Rivals 2 and one event in the Rio 2016 Olympics. And Charmy's got a big fat goose egg. They seem to think Vector's a good enough rep for the team and don't really care a whole lot about the team dynamic.

As for Eggman's team, I don't care as much but I think SEGAbits has a fantastic idea for it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't care about Charmy, but a Team Chaotix with Espio, Vector and Mighty (now he's back on Mania) would have been much better to me. 

Not sure who to team Silver with, though. And I actually like that character (well, just the design).

On 8/16/2018 at 9:04 AM, Bobnik said:

Gotta love how out of place Vector is among those hoppers. Especially since they look more like action figures.

Also love his car! Blaze's looks kinda bad, though.

On 8/17/2018 at 9:10 AM, LukA8 said:

Now I'm interested to see who Eggman is going to bring along as his third member. I wouldn't be surprised if it was Zavok.

While I have no problem with Zavok or some of the other Zeti being in this game, I sincerely doubt it given his color-scheme.

Which reminds me, I never did that thing about his design.

While Vector has probably the best car so far, it's pretty Out of Character. Anyone who know Vector would give him Cheapest Used Car, old enough to remember great depression, that he bought on a sale at the discount price (and probably was cheated out anyway)

On 8/6/2018 at 8:27 PM, Miragnarok said:

What if it’s Espio/Charmy (as one character), Cream, and CLASSIC Eggman as the last team.

And how do you call it? Team Duck Taped Together?

On 8/13/2018 at 4:17 PM, Pawn said:

Replacing Cream with Chao is not irrational, though. Adventure fans have been asking for the critters to return to the games since Heroes, while Cream is rarely requested

Well, as a Adventure Fan, I would prefer Cream.

I guess the cars don't so much represent personalities as they do the characters themselves on a physical level. Vector's car looks like him, down to the teeth and spikes.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1