Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - Upcoming Sonic Racing Game

Ryannumber1gamer

Very hyped I'm going to play this as much as Mario Kart 8 maybe even more!

1 hour ago, Fire-N-Space said:

D5mRTDGX4AAuZ0v.jpg

That is an awesome Amy render.

Man, that Sonic official episode really showcased how... effective the Team mechanics can be. With a team of 2 human racers, they were earning team ultimate's every lap and flat out spamming items thanks to the x3 reward bonus for passing. Playing in teams of 3 is going to be utter insanity.

And with that knowledge, you can appreciate the other mechanics that much more. The skim boost in particular rewards teams who can stay close together on the track and give you some form of instant recovery in the face of the hailstorm of items that top teams will be raining upon the track. That's actually a genus inclusion and the guy who thought of it deserves a raise. It a check and balance to racers who depend on items over skill. There is nothing more frustrating than getting wiped out by an item and getting passed by half the field. Good teams will use the skim boost to ensure that never happens.

I have a brother who I know I'll be playing with online. I might just get some serious mileage out of this game.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Plasme said:

So seeing as it comes out soon, who's hyped?

I've had it preordered for months, and have had complete faith in it as Sumo always does great with SEGA licenses.  The music is also killer, and I'm very excited for it.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've been wanting a pure Sonic kart racer since Transformed, so I am super hyped. I've been following the game since it was first announced, and aside from a few minor issues,  it looks fantastic.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

4 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Man, that Sonic official episode really showcased how... effective the Team mechanics can be. With a team of 2 human racers, they were earning team ultimate's every lap and flat out spamming items thanks to the x3 reward bonus for passing. Playing in teams of 3 is going to be utter insanity.

And with that knowledge, you can appreciate the other mechanics that much more. The skim boost in particular rewards teams who can stay close together on the track and give you some form of instant recovery in the face of the hailstorm of items that top teams will be raining upon the track. That's actually a genus inclusion and the guy who thought of it deserves a raise. It a check and balance to racers who depend on items over skill. There is nothing more frustrating than getting wiped out by an item and getting passed by half the field. Good teams will use the skim boost to ensure that never happens.

I have a brother who I know I'll be playing with online. I might just get some serious mileage out of this game.

The stream did showcase the team mechanics incredible well. I might be disappointed with some of the track roster but I'm still hyped for the game and will get it day one and enjoy it for what it seems to be : a good kart racer.

The new tracks actually look great, and the old ones have been revamped graphically at least. Yep… the team mechanics are really great and different from other racers. I'm excited, I pre-ordered it 2 days ago. Plus I was asking for a new ASR game or a Sonic solo spin-off and this is literally both so, of course I'm happy!

• Thumbs Up 1

No, but it's showed up at least. Likely they still have work to do on it, so no downloading it ahead of time.

At this point, the only thing that could be disappointing is the number of tracks and a small lack of racers, but that could easily be resolved with DLC. And I fully expect they will make some, since even the UI for selecting racers and tracks is well built for it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Plasme said:

For the soundtrack? Hell yes. I liked every song so far. The game? Eh, nah. Gonna skip this one like I did with Forces. I won't invest on Sonic anymore, unless they bring their A-game. TSR looks fun, but not nearly as exciting and varied as Transformed, which I got day 1 back in the day.

17 hours ago, Plasme said:

I am, I  already have pre-ordered  this and CTR on Amazon. After seeing the new gameplay and how well the team mechanics seemingly work so far, I'm far more excited now than I was  a few months ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Plasme said:

I will read a summary of the story on wikia or watch the cutscenes on youtube, if it's any good I'll buy it.

Story is important.

2 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

I will read a summary of the story on wikia or watch the cutscenes on youtube, if it's any good I'll buy it.

Story is important.

I wouldn't expect anything special  storywise in a racing game of all things.

• Thumbs Up 4

10 minutes ago, mayday2592 said:

I'd wouldn't expect anything special  storywise in a racing game of all things.

I'll wait to see the story and if it's as good as the first 2 Riders game I'm not gonna buy it while I already have SASRT to have "races-only".

If you are seriously expecting a heavy story from this game then I don't know what to say.

Cute character interactions? Sure.

• Thumbs Up 7

Sonic looks great. The dip in the curvature of his muzzle is more prominent, more prominent brows, eyes are more rounded at the top.

a7mH93g.jpg

He's starting to look more like his 2D art.

Even the shape of his smirk is real close to this:

CVMQYHF.png

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 2

3 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

if it's as good as the first 2 Riders game I'm not gonna buy it

Huh?

What, you don't like Riders?

19 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Huh?

What, you don't like Riders?

Sorry, I meant, It it is not as good as Riders, I'm not buying iy.

On 5/4/2019 at 4:15 AM, FFWF said:

Perhaps they were just teasing the existence of a general "spooky" aesthetic to some of the tracks; I'm not sure we knew about any of those at the time.

We knew about Boo's House at the time.

33 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Sorry, I meant, It it is not as good as Riders, I'm not buying iy.

I think you're likely to be disappointed but let's see how it goes. Do we know who's writing the game ?

I mean, hey, sometimes the smallest, seemingly arbitrary, things can be the tipping point between being hyped for something and merely anticipating it.

I'd be hyped for it if Vector got to be with his actual teammates for one. I can't imagine that'd be a deal breaker between 'hype' and 'mere anticipation' for most people but it is for me.

And, of course, there's also the fact that I'm not certain the story is going to be anything too special. It doesn't even look as though the lines are voice acted from what little footage Aaron showed off. Which is yet another step down for story-telling in these racing games if true. In Free Riders, they also used stills but the lines were at least all voice acted. 

The issue of the diversity between zones has been quelled a little bit after seeing what they've managed to do with them but a part of me still hungers for ones that were all completely different too.

I'm certainly in a better position regarding this game now then I used to be though. Unlike Forces where everything I saw was making me worry more and more. 

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

And, of course, there's also the fact that I'm not certain the story is going to be anything too special. It doesn't even look as though the lines are voice acted from what little footage Aaron showed off. 

Not sure if you had the video on low volume or what, cuz you can clearly hear characters start talking during the story cutscenes in that footage.

That said, they've been stating since the game's announcement that the story is gonna be a bit more light-hearted and somewhat simple, so don't expect anything on the level of the first 2 Riders games.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's also worth noting that this game was designed with games like overwatch in mind, so solo content like the story mode are likely to take even more of a backseat than usual in favor of boosting connected game modes and content. 

This game wants you online with buddies first and foremost. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The depth we sank if Riders 1's story is no longer light hearted and simple.
But yeah, I'm expecting it to be 100% Sonic Free Riders when it comes to story.

Not that story matters in a game like this, but it is making me wonder why they bother to begin with if it's going to be such a low effort job.
If there was no storymode at all, I doubt anyone would notice.

At least this game got the characterization of the cast down a little better. Free Rider's dialogue made everyone immensly unlikable.
The one game I'm seriously rooting for Eggman to kill them all is the one where he doesnt'even bother to try. Shucks.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

9 hours ago, Bobnik said:

Not sure if you had the video on low volume or what, cuz you can clearly hear characters start talking during the story cutscenes in that footage.

Nope. Didn't have it on low volume. Aaron was shuffling through the slides really fast and I'm pretty sure I just heard grunts.

You know, those grunts characters make when their pictures first slide on screen? That's what I thought I heard. It was pretty easy for me to believe it since I've trained myself to be disappointed.

I just checked again, however, and on second viewing I am in fact hearing actual words being spoken. So that's good. 

9 hours ago, Bobnik said:

That said, they've been stating since the game's announcement that the story is gonna be a bit more light-hearted and somewhat simple, so don't expect anything on the level of the first 2 Riders games.

I already knew this. I didn't even need them to announce it. I wasn't expecting the story to be on any kind of level from the get go. I'm just saying it's a contributing factor towards not being hyped.