Awoo.

Most Annoying Sonic Characters

HylianBran

The Sonic franchise has a lot of annoying characters. Big, Chris, and Sticks, as examples. To me, Big is the most annoying. What about you? Games, cartoons, and comics count! Just not the bible, since who reads the bible. The reason I think Big is the most annoying is because both his interactions and voice. If your best friend is a frog, you know you're an idiot. Also, what the hell is up with his voice? It's hard to describe, so I'll just try not to go into it. And why does he have to fish? Swim to get your damn frog! I'm confused more than anything.

Edited by HylianBran
Not enough info

Hmm...the guidelines say

Put some effort into your topic so other people are more likely to want to respond in it.

I don't see much effort in this topic, to be honest. And it's not going to be a remotely interesting topic if all the posts are like yours, saying "To me Chris is the most annoying" or "To me Elise is the most annoying" without giving much in the way of explanations as to why. I'm going to leave this topic open for the time being because it could be an alright topic if future posters actually put effort and detail into their posts. If, on the other hand, it just turns out to be a pointless topic of people listing their least favorite characters with no details, it will probably be locked.

@HylianBran It might not be a bad idea to make another post, or edit your OP, with more details. Getting off to a good start could help this topic be more worthwhile.

• Thumbs Up 3

To tell you the truth, the comic relief characters don't irritate me quite so much (they can sometimes, but cheesy bad dialogue is amuck in the Sonic franchise anyway). Truthfully I find more irritation in the characters that the writers DON'T want to be seen as jokes, the ones that are made to be seen as competent and suave, but due to bad writing, their attributes or approaches just don't add up, making them look incompetent, hypocritical, callous, or at fail of those just unappealingly dull and cliche.

The comics version of Sally sticks out for me, since they insisted in making her 'the rational one' in spite of, not only having the personality of a sheet of cardboard, but also frequently risking situations by being as reckless as she chastises Sonic for being or being sometimes unprofessionally standoffish to anyone who opposes her or her team. Anytime the writers tried to deliberately make her flawed it kinda swerved away calling out her self righteous shades such as these, always being more superficial mistakes she couldn't control and you're supposed to pity her for, or pathetic attempts at 'quirks' like bad cooking. The only one the comics finally drew the line for was the slap, and even then only because they kept getting flak over it for years. She's really REALLY sorry about it by the way.

Some of the games characters feel pretentiously or erratically written as well in the writers desires to make anti heroes, but with all the perks and none of the consequences. Rouge can't be a thief AND a prize government agent, not without SOME sort of tension within the law. Shadow just erratically shifts between a cold blooded murderer and a grouchy hero that everyone adores. It was also hard to really empathise with Silver's moral dilemma in Next Gen when in both cases he only failed to kill Sonic because he stalled, not out of moral conflict, but just to torture and pontificate over him like an arrogant Bond villain.

On another different note, the Gogobas in Sonic Boom. Yeah I know they're SUPPOSED to be hateable guilt trippers, and their manipulation of Sonic's steadfast altruism is an interesting role, but I would have liked them to suffer karma more often, even if not through Sonic, SOMETHING could backfire onto them. Some of the other civilians in Boom were ungrateful jerks too, but they at least weren't semi-antagonists that always won like the Gogobas.

• Thumbs Up 3

Uh, define annoying?

I'm sorry, but it's just one of those words that get thrown around so often that it's kinda hard to gauge the appropriate tense at times.

And as MDS(who I didn't realize was a mod) said, I feel like this could just end up being a parade of "character(s) I don't like," regardless of the actual quota. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Charmy, in Heroes, 'cause BEE BEE BEE, CHARMY THE BEE

(really, nowadays i don't find he annoying, but back in the day ooohhh boy)

• Thumbs Up 2

I’m gonna go with Cubot. Nothing against the character, but I think he’s just been consistently lazily written. After a while you just get tired of the same joke over and over.

Orbot: [Sentence with a big word in it].

Cubot: “Yeah, and [the same sentence, but with smaller words], too!”

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1

2 hours ago, NikoS said:

Oh goodness, he IS kind of grating.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Honestly? Tails ever since Kate Higgins and Coleen Volard started voicing them.

No offence to the two of them, but I just can't help but associate their takes on the character with the obnoxious little shit he was in the Pontaff scripts.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

4 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Honestly? Tails ever since Kate Higgins and Coleen Volard started voicing them.

No offence to the two of them, but I just can't help but associate their takes on the character with the obnoxious little shit he was in the Pontaff scripts.

What happened to Kate Higgins anyway? And what's gonna happen with Wave?

3 hours ago, HylianBran said:

It would be to "causing irritation or annoyance."

Oh, so we're being dictkonaries now, are we? :lol:

Honestly, I'm not one to get irritated very easily, so I'll have to actually think about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

What happened to Kate Higgins anyway? And what's gonna happen with Wave?

Apparently, she was going to forced to leave her union or something.

I have to agree that Cubot is one of my least favorite given how predictable he is.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Kellan said:

I’m gonna go with Cubot. Nothing against the character, but I think he’s just been consistently lazily written. After a while you just get tired of the same joke over and over.

Orbot: [Sentence with a big word in it].

Cubot: “Yeah, and [the same sentence, but with smaller words], too!”

Pretty much why I don’t like Boom Cubot, it’s always that same “Yeah and” joke every single time.

Atleast game Cubot has some variety in humor even if it’s just voice chip changes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Since this has essentially become about characters we don't like, Zeena is the only one that immediately comes to mind.

Although I suppose I could mention Cliff, Perci, and Mombot

4 hours ago, NikoS said:

I second this, though I don't mind his Heroes voice nearly as much as his post-Sonic X voice. It's a common voice 4Kids tapped for little boys (see Max in Pokemon), and I've just grown to loath it. The hyper bee is hyper annoying.

While Chris is the king of annoying he's also limited in appearance.

• Nice Smile 1

Modern (Colors-present) Sonic-Just his whole attitude in general can be described as "YEAH, FUCK YOU TAILS, MY FRIENDS SUCK, I'M SO COOL, PLEASE THINK THAT I'M COOL", and that annoys me to no end.

AoSTH Coconuts-It's just yelling about how "DOWKTOW WOBOTNIK'S NOT GONNA GIVE ME A PWOMOTION!" for 64+ episodes. That sucks.

The Deadly Six-They have no style. They have no grace. Their jokes suck and so do their personalities.

Boom Shadow-Do I have to say anything on this one? He's just an annoying git, who constantly says how "HE'S DA COOLEST" for no rhyme or reason. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Never understood the hate for Big, he is just a ....well...big nice softie. I can understand his portrayal being considered poor though.

As For Annoying Characters Shadow is by far the most annoying character to me. I feel like his origin and persona could use a reboot. He feels like an overpowered fan character. A darker version of the main character but immortal and the whole "ultimate lifeform" is just ridiculous IMO. Charmy can be annoying as I don't think he really serves a purpose. Other than that I typically don't mind most of the characters when written well.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

24 minutes ago, A person, that exists said:

AoSTH Coconuts-It's just yelling about how "DOWKTOW WOBOTNIK'S NOT GONNA GIVE ME A PWOMOTION!" for 64+ episodes. That sucks.

Oh my god, I even read that in his voice.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't like pinning anyone as a bad character. Charmy or Big can be fun with competent writers (Archie Comics).

I guess Chris Thorndyke was really annoying most of the time.

Also, maybe not "annoying", but "overall terrible" was Tommy the Turtle. He was one of the most worthless characters, yet somehow someone decided it's a good idea to bring him back and make him a part of the main team.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

Geoffrey before the 1-year timeskip. He seemed to spend most of his time antagonising other characters and I so desperately wanted to punch him in the face.

Also that he was a literal pedo

• Thumbs Up 2

Chip is by far the most annoying sonic character. His design is obscenely ugly (specifically his face and experessions), the US voice actor is just doing a lame dude-bro voice instead of trying to localize what the high-pitched Japanese VA was doing (which leads to the character not sounding like what he looks like in the US dub), and the piss-poor comedic timing of his “jokes” are the most cringeworthy moments in the entire Sonic canon for me.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

I believe that most annoying are those characters you just remember for "being there". That means: Deadly Six, Chip, Elise, Chris etc.

Second group are characters that are memetic. It includes: Big, Silver, Charmy...

While many mention post-Unleashed Sonic and Tails, well, yes, the "jokes" are cringy and they make a total of like 60% of dialogue. I don´t think that every aspect of them is bad, though. Then again, I don´t like Tails being treated like a scared shit and Sonic being a "protector".

Sonic Boom Tails. Hell I don't know if I can even call him that. Just call him Jimmy Neutron. They are basically the same egocentric assholes who have tons of experiments that backfire and hurt themselves, or others around them. Except it's in character for Neutron to be this big headed dickweed because he literally is super big headed. Character driven comedy should never sacrifice a character that makes them an asshole, unless they are supposed to be assholes. Ugh he's the mix of everything I hate about modern Tails rolled into one.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

Sonic Boom Tails. Hell I don't know if I can even call him that. Just call him Jimmy Neutron. They are basically the same egocentric assholes who have tons of experiments that backfire and hurt themselves, or others around them. Except it's in character for Neutron to be this big headed dickweed because he literally is super big headed. Character driven comedy should never sacrifice a character that makes them an asshole, unless they are supposed to be assholes. Ugh he's the mix of everything I hate about modern Tails rolled into one.

Is Boom!Tails really an jerkass in any real sense, though? Honestly, he's the most boring of the main cast, personally.