Awoo.

Soul Calibur VI (Does your soul still burn)

Meta77

I'm happy they revealed two at once this time at least. And hey, Seong Mi-Na is back. I expected her, but its nice to see her back finally.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://gematsu.com/2018/08/soulcalibur-vi-gamescom-2018-trailers-details-and-screenshots

Two new things shown at Gamescom: first, a second story mode that uses the create-a-character function.

Not gonna lie, it looks fun.

Secondly, Tira... as pre-order bonus, like Dampierre was for SCV.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wait what? Tira as a preorder bonus? Like WTF? The game is TWO MONTHS OUT and they're ALREADY announcing DLC? And its for Tira, a long-standing regular?

This isn't going to go well...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

2 hours ago, Teoskaven said:

https://gematsu.com/2018/08/soulcalibur-vi-gamescom-2018-trailers-details-and-screenshots

Two new things shown at Gamescom: first, a second story mode that uses the create-a-character function.

Not gonna lie, it looks fun.

Secondly, Tira... as pre-order bonus, like Dampierre was for SCV.

Eh. For once, I think I may not be all too fond of the custom character thing. Though the second story mode does look interesting.

Tira getting the Dampierre treatment is... not a great move. It is nice to see little miss Bi-Polar in this. But I cannot help but think that a lot of Tira fans, myself included, would be rather pissed that they would have to get a separate DLC to even have her in the game. It worked for Dampierre, because he was a new character. Tira however... she is pretty well established in the lore already. Hey Game Devs. WTF are ya doing? Don't make Tira a DLC character as an excuse to encourage Pre-Order.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, Ashwalking Bat said:

It worked for Dampierre, because he was a new character.

Hmm? Are you not aware of the original game Dampierre appeared in? Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny. It was an exclusive PSP game that looked and felt a lot like Soul Calibur 4 but with Dampierre and....what's his name...Kratos? That war god guy. Anyway, I remember owning it but I also remember being very bored of it quickly so it couldn't have had as much content as a console game. (Which I guess is a given, console games usually have more memory space, right?)

Spoiler

soul_calibur_broken_destiny_by_kenjisan_

I never really cared about Dampierre in that game and I cared even less about him in 5.

But on the topic of Tira, they have special art of her. Perhaps drawn by a guest artist, I don't know...

LrhYwZv.jpg

But that's no excuse to demote her to DLC. Will she even be involved in any of the story modes??

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, DanJ86 said:

Hmm? Are you not aware of the original game Dampierre appeared in? Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny. It was an exclusive PSP game that looked and felt a lot like Soul Calibur 4 but with Dampierre and....what's his name...Kratos? That war god guy. Anyway, I remember owning it but I also remember being very bored of it quickly so it couldn't have had as much content as a console game. (Which I guess is a given, console games usually have more memory space, right?)

Dampierre debuted in Broken Destiny, but he was still a relatively new character at the time he was added in SCV. SCV was his first main canonical game as well.

Tira, on the other hand, has been in every game since III. Vastly different situation. She's a long-running character, whereas Dampierre WAS new, even if he wasn't brand new to SCV specifically.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, DanJ86 said:

But on the topic of Tira, they have special art of her. Perhaps drawn by a guest artist, I don't know...

LrhYwZv.jpg

But that's no excuse to demote her to DLC. Will she even be involved in any of the story modes??

I sincerely hope she'll have a part in the main story mode. If they not only made her DLC, but also had her ripped out form the main story... I suppose it really wouldn't be worth getting to angry about, but now I have some concerns with her presence in SCVI. If anything. As long as she is in the fighter roster, nothing else should matter too much. Though it will suck if she has no part in the main story mode.

• Thumbs Up 1

I like how they're showing us a completely finished character in their previews as DLC and expecting us not to believe she couldn't just been on the disc as standard.

Hell, maybe she will be anyway. On-disc DLC hasn't gone away completely yet, and I wouldn't put it past Namco tbh

• Thumbs Up 2

17 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Day one dlc ia noting new honestly.

Of course its not. Doesn't change the fact that its something which should be complained about.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, Meta77 said:

Day one dlc ia noting new honestly.

Why do you always seem to defend or act passive when people bring up scummy business practices being implemented in games still? Like this comment of yours entirely missed the context and point people are making here. That these are shitty business decisions and shouldn’t have a place as they’re only there to carve out features of the game to sell back to us, so companies can make a little more cash.

9 hours ago, KHCast said:

Why do you always seem to defend or act passive when people bring up scummy business practices being implemented in games still? Like this comment of yours entirely missed the context and point people are making here. That these are shitty business decisions and shouldn’t have a place as they’re only there to carve out features of the game to sell back to us, so companies can make a little more cash.

One could say the same to you. Why so angry all the time? Like yea Ive been around since the start of the xbox live days. Ive seen it all and people had ample time to stop things like this way before it started. A business purpose is to make money.  Plus im a business major. So as a gamer sure some things annoy me but at the same time im like well makes sense. She came into the series in 3. Far from a true classic character compared to most the main roster. And for a fighter they have a pretty good lineup. Of all games to expect dlc in is a fighter from tekken to blazblue. Man point its done. And most in the FGC are fine with it. Sure we are bugged but the games still hyped regardless. Plus im interested in who else will be dlc since I have the CE which comes with the season pass

“Companies exist to make money”, is not a justification. I’m studying business as well and there are ways to do business while also not showing contempt for your consumer case and not putting greed above customers enjoyment and convenience. I mean hell, I saw you iirc defend ea during all the battlefront 2 shit, and you pretty much used this same idea. “They’re a company, what’s the problem?” Missing the ultimate point

• Thumbs Up 1

There's nothing wrong with with recognizing that it's an incredibly shit deal from the consumer side, particularly because 1) not one of us actually benefits from it from a business perspective, and 2) the business side of things makes a profit regardless of what they do here. This kind of apologism makes absolutely no sense.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Blacklightning said:

There's nothing wrong with with recognizing that it's an incredibly shit deal from the consumer side, particularly because 1) not one of us actually benefits from it from a business perspective, and 2) the business side of things makes a profit regardless of what they do here. This kind of apologism makes absolutely no sense.

They make even more profit from FGC fighters who are buying her to have a leg up on those they do not. Depending on what tier she is though.  Its not apologism. Simply use to it as  a tourney fighting game player.  If you want to fight companies doing this do not buy it. As for me I plan to buy her day one. Depending on if shes a season pass character. They have not been up front on that.

2 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

They make even more profit from FGC fighters who are buying her to have a leg up on those they do not.

Okay, but how does that benefit you? You're paying for a character that's already finished and probably already on the disc for literally no reason other than Namco deciding to charge for it. That's a very bad precedent to set no matter which way you spin it.

1 minute ago, Blacklightning said:

Okay, but how does that benefit you? You're paying for a character that's already finished and probably already on the disc for literally no reason other than Namco deciding to charge for it. That's a very bad precedent to set no matter which way you spin it.

Because if I do not pay for it ill have to wait. People who do not wait will have a leg up on me cause they will have her and start to practice online with her. So by time I get her and try a mirror match id hate to be dominated cause I waited. I hate losing in fighting games more than most game sadly.

1 minute ago, Meta77 said:

Because if I do not pay for it ill have to wait.

The only reason you "have to wait" is because Namco are the ones who arbitarily decided to section her off as DLC. You're acting like they somehow don't have the option to not do that, which is completely absurd.

6 minutes ago, Blacklightning said:

The only reason you "have to wait" is because Namco are the ones who arbitarily decided to section her off as DLC. You're acting like they somehow don't have the option to not do that, which is completely absurd.

No i know they could make her free. But this is Namco a japanese company. They are not EA (aka Battlefront 2 card issue*. I highly doubt they are worried about us being upset. Now if players on the japanese homefront are mad then i could see them doing something.

New Character Azwel, getting some Gilgamesh vibes from his weapons

Also Cervantes style was shown on a custom character so safe to say he's in too :P

• 2 weeks later...

And here's Raphael's trailer.

Of course its his pre-vampire self but its making a nod to that with his title. Anyways he looks pretty fun here too. He's been kind of my on and off main but I think he might be my main here since Aeon/Lizardman isn't in this, at least as a unique character.

• Thumbs Up 1

Is that Dante's Stinger as his super? lmao
Anyway, if this is the last character shown before launch i'd say the roster is still pretty weak; i always mained Cervantes when none of my other mains are around so i can be considered satisfied, but i wanna hope the DLC plan will be strong, otherwise i think it will be hard for this title to survive.