Awoo.

Sonic Forces Reviews Thread

Apollo Chungus

Most of what polygon said was on some level correct, but 5 is too low a score regardless. It really doesn't even fit with the rest of the review, which seemed to paint it as an "okay" game aside from like, one sentence.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm sticking by my guess of an average between 60-70% Metascore. Lower or higher would surprise me.

But it does seem as though the game may end up on the lower end of that range. As early as March I thought it was projecting a little higher but after the seeing everything a bit more in depth since then, I really cannot fathom this game getting near Generations at 77%. Not close. 

Polygon's 5 is a bit lower than what I think the average will be but you can't say the rating isn't justified. I didn't agree with their Mania rating either but I could at least understand a 7 for an absolute low-end score for that game, with the higher end scores being 9+. Which is why its average is 86. 

15 minutes ago, Shaddy the guy said:

Most of what polygon said was on some level correct, but 5 is too low a score regardless. It really doesn't even fit with the rest of the review, which seemed to paint it as an "okay" game aside from like, one sentence.

Uh, you do know that a 5 is generally regarded as meaning average or mediocre? That’s a fair score for his review I think. Okay can still mean average. 

• Thumbs Up 6

5 minutes ago, Tornado said:

Not every review outlet uses a grading scale where anything under 7 is irredeemable garbage.

Unless it's school, then you might as well be irredeemable garbage if you get below 7/10.

1 minute ago, Tornado said:

No, you get moved to the special class so the standardized test scores don't suffer.

You do?

8 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

DN5rHbaW0AAug9V.jpg&key=432e6b13e8b8ad3e

I think it's on point, personally.

Anything less than an 8 is considered complete garbage....hence why so many people attacked Jim Sterling for his Breath of the Wild review XD. He gave it a 7...that is so wrong and horrible despite many other places giving the game a 10 or a 9......how dare he have an opinion.

But I think I'll wait to see the reception goes before getting to upbeat just yet.

26 minutes ago, Shaddy the guy said:

5 IS an okay game though, I can't really blame you much for thinking otherwise however considering everybody (not saying you) considers 7 and below bad these days. Honestly speaking too, I think its pretty accurate, the game doesn't do anything offensively bad but neither does it do any real good (in the gameplay department anyway) and if I were the one reviewing the game i'd give it the same score, maybe even less, not because I have a vendetta against it but because it just feels like sonic team were selling us a lesser product this time around and i'm of the personal belief that you shouldn't get rewarded for sloppiness and they don't even have the benefit of an excuse this time.

14 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

Anything less than an 8 is considered complete garbage....hence why so many people attacked Jim Sterling for his Breath of the Wild review XD. He gave it a 7...that is so wrong and horrible despite many other places giving the game a 10 or a 9......how dare he have an opinion.

But I think I'll wait to see the reception goes before getting to upbeat just yet.

Hell, Jeff Gertsmann got his ass lit on fire for giving Twilight Princess a 8.8 back in the day.

9 minutes ago, Josh said:

People consider below 7 bad because there's really no reason to spend good money on an average game for most. Especially not this year.

That's not the reviewers fault the customer puts their trust and  money on them though. If they understood better rating systems, this probably wouldn't be a problem 

1 minute ago, KHCast said:

That's not the reviewers fault the customer puts their trust and  money on them though. If they understood better rating systems, this probably wouldn't be a problem 

It's not actually a problem that people only want to buy good games

4 minutes ago, Josh said:

It's not actually a problem that people only want to buy good games

If they default assume 7 = not a good game, because it's not 8 or 9, id say that's a problem. Hell if KH3 got 7's I'd still find that worth getting excited for since many outlets don't use traditional score systems(edit: and even in traditional systems, 7 is GOOD)

• Thumbs Up 3

Am I the only one who still finds it weird that they're deciding to release it on a Tuesday? Don't they know that all the major game releases are always on Friday?

Score doesn't always mean everything to the individual. Especially if you're already a fan of said series. If you're not familiar with said series, then yeah the score is gonna put you off immediately. But if you are, a score may not really stop you from enjoying a game. Dragon Ball Fusions for the longest time had scores in the higher 60's upon release (It's now 72 on MC), and I didn't care. Picked it up and I absolutely adore the game. It's wonderful. It had flaws but it was enjoyable for me as a Dragon Ball fan. Could I recommend it to someone else. Well maybe not as the quintessential game, but it's a fun but ultimately broken and sloppy in some areas.

Just now, GuyWithThePie said:

Am I the only one who still finds it weird that they're deciding to release it on a Tuesday? Don't they know that all the major game releases are always on Friday?

Mania released on a Tuesday, maybe its a SEGA thing?

1 minute ago, GuyWithThePie said:

It's usually either Tuesdays or Fridays.

Just now, dbzfan7 said:

Score doesn't always mean everything to the individual. Especially if you're already a fan of said series. 

That's why you need to also read what the review said and see if you agree with that.

• Thumbs Up 7

3 minutes ago, GuyWithThePie said:

Friday releases increasing in frequency is a relatively new thing. Tuesday releases have typically been more common, so no I don't find it weird.

1 minute ago, Harkofthewaa said:

Watch GameInformer give it a 8 or some crap...

Resident Sonic defendant Tim Turi doesn't work there anymore so probably not.

Just now, Mayor D said:

That's why you need to also read what the review said and see if you agree with that.

Now if only most people did that before boasting the score whichever way, in the first place. Heck, leave out boasting the score altogether and we'd be golden.

Just now, Mayor D said:

True but I go off what I see from promotional material to also dictate if I'll pick something up or not. Or quality control if I already know something will be good. I did not feel that way about Forces so I didn't want to pre order it or buy it. But for a game that was like Dragon Ball Pokemon, with your own OC, that can fuse and make crazy combinations, I couldn't help but buy it.

So just two reviews from two publishers that have no real credibility? Famitsu has been worthless for 10 years and Polygon has been worthless since inception. 

Not that I expect reviews to be good or anything. I’m expecting high 60s to low 70s. 

• Thumbs Up 1