Awoo.

Sonic Forces Reviews Thread

Apollo Chungus

4 hours ago, KHCast said:

Wonder if sega will delist Forces eventually, cause didn't they say awhile back they delist sonic games that are like under 60% on metacritic or something?

Maybe, but keep in mind that they didn't exactly follow through well on that. Its still extremely easy to find used (or even new in the sense that the game just plain didn't get sold-- extremely common with copies of the Sonic Boom games but you can still occasionally find copies of Sonic 06 and the Storybook games that are in the same situation) at game stores.

I can sorta understand why though in the States. The problem with implementing this in the States, though, is that Gamestop basically has a monopoly on retail gaming stores. They don't really like selling new copies of games as the developers and publishers get most, if not all, of the profits off of new copies but the store gets barely anything. To survive, Gamestop stores make most of their money on used titles, as with games that are used or traded in, the store gets the lion share of the profits and the developers and publishers get nothing. So they might be willing to forgo new copies of some of the games that are recent enough at the time, like Sonic and the Black Knight, but they'd never let go of games that are old enough that the developers and publishers aren't making money off of them anymore and used games are basically untouchable. And even then, I again reiterate that its very easy to find new copies of the Sonic Boom games and those are recent releases. And even other retail gaming stores run into the same problems as Gamestop-- there's a reason why successful independent retail gaming stores tend to center around retro (or otherwise old) gaming and offer good money in exchange for used and old games.

7 hours ago, KHCast said:

Wonder if sega will delist Forces eventually, cause didn't they say awhile back they delist sonic games that are like under 60% on metacritic or something?

Was that another interview, because I vaguely remember one from around Colours' release where they said they would delist all Sonic games under 80% Metacritic XD Too bad their physical catalogue would only consist of Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed right now.

• Chuckle 3

I bought the game this morning , and I regret it

first off, I’m a Sonic fan since I was old enough to hold a gamepad in my hand and I have almost all sonic games, I have always defended Sonic Team against criticism and i bought almost every Sonic game. I found Colors enojoyanle, I found Generations a much better game, and even managed to have fun with Lost World.

this game is trash, pure trash.

slugghish, the levels are short, modern and classic are worse than Generations in any way (bar the framerate, which is pretty solid)

classic sonic is pretty useless and I think he has been added at a later stage due to mania success. His gameplay is identical to Generations but the controls are less precise 

Modern Sonic has become even more automated. 

avatar is cool when it comes to customization, and some wispon might be a little fun for the first 30 seconds, but the rest of his gameplay is the same trash

this game seems a glorified mobile game with 0 passion , 0 dept in gameplay and level design. It plays by itself for the most part, and when it doesn’t the controls are bad , like the jumping precision and timing.

half of the OST is the worst music ever for a Sonic game, the other half is quite good.

the only pro this game has are the framerate , the overall look and the avatar customization : there are a lot of unlockables.

this time I am pissed of at Sonic Team. I could tolerate Ryse Of Lyric, it was not their work, but Sonic Forces is their game, something they said to be passionate about, a game made in 4 years that was supposed to glorify Sonic again. They said they learned from the past, from the rushed developement time of older games, and they came out with this joke.

as a Die Hard Sonic fan I’m hugely disappointed and sad. I bought this game only because I’m emotionally attached to the franchise, but I think i’m gonna sell it like I did with Ryse of Lyric

I feel bad in saying this, but Sonic Team has become a bunch of incompetent people. They’re destroying this franchise, and the worst part is their effort to convice us that they care for Sonic and that they have changed.

I respect those of you who are having fun with this game, I Happened to smile too a couple of times while I was playing, it’s still Sonic after all, but now I hope that they stop torturing this franchise and leave it to people that can actually develop games

• Thumbs Up 7

6 minutes ago, DaN said:

I have always defended Sonic Team against criticism

Why? Nobody should be above criticism, especially a dev team that has been making the same mistakes again and again. Doesn't matter if they made 10 hits if their 11th product is shit.

I've been seeing lots of YouTube reviewers enjoying the game. While many admit it's not perfect I'm amaz3d by the amount of gamers actually enjoying the game and giving it some praise. And it's gerting way more than 06 ever did. If you didnt like than sorry. If you did good for you but from most I'm seeing it's pretty much doing somewhat well.

The funniest thing though are people like jim and others who have to have a thesis on hand for what made them say they enjoyed  what they played from people who can't grasp maybe a lot out there don't see it as trash and liked it. But still want it to improve.  basically GO summed it up best with its not perfect but that they enjoyed what they played and it's not where 3d games should be but it's getting there

11 hours ago, rahkeesh said:

I... get that? And in fact I'm expecting Forces to do much better on console than PC.

The problem here... is that is also true of Mania. Its *weakest* platform put up tens of thousands of sales.

Generations all in all seems to have sold 1 PC copy for every ~4 console copies. Forces need orders of magnitude more lopsided ratio to keep up.

Although the game will probably get some holiday boost. Especially if it goes dirt cheap.

Not to mention that a lot of people did demand a refund of Mania because of the Denuvo controversy, the topic was hot at the moment.

Obviously not a popular opinion. That's why they're opinions after all.

I'm having quite a blast even still. I like this more than Generations. In fact, best game of the 2010's. Quite frankly I'm astonished at the lack of support from idiot critics

7 minutes ago, PaulyBFromDa303 said:

I'm having quite a blast even still. I like this more than Generations. In fact, best game of the 2010's. Quite frankly I'm astonished at the lack of support from idiot critics

You're surprised the linear, boost to win, clunky, unpolished game that has a shit classic sonic right after Mania has gotten mixed to negative reviews by critics?

• Thumbs Up 5

@KHCast well when you put it that way, they DID have to follow Mania. I'm curious as to if anything would be different had Forces come out first

10 hours ago, GuyWithThePie said:

At worst, Forces will likely be to the Boost formula what '06 was to the Adventure formula.

I think that went without saying based on the spoilers of the levels being shown. I just didn't expect it to be below a game like Lost World which I just have to disagree with according to Metacritic as right now its score is 58 as opposed to Lost World being 63. 

23 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

I've been seeing lots of YouTube reviewers enjoying the game. While many admit it's not perfect I'm amaz3d by the amount of gamers actually enjoying the game and giving it some praise. And it's gerting way more than 06 ever did. If you didnt like than sorry. If you did good for you but from most I'm seeing it's pretty much doing somewhat well.

A lot of those admittedly, I haven't seen go into detail about the game and specifically what makes this fun/or better than past attempts like Gens. Especially surprised that they never seem to compare things liken classic to his Mania counterpart, or bring up the control and feel of characters like the avatar and classic. Simply I see them go "I enjoyed it" which is fine, but not exactly a critical analysis like I'd have hoped.

1 minute ago, PaulyBFromDa303 said:

@KHCast well when you put it that way, they DID have to follow Mania. I'm curious as to if anything would be different had Forces come out first

Well, I'm sure some would compare Classic and Modern to Gens a lot more as before Mania, that was the golden standard for sonic both modern and classic wise.

• Thumbs Up 4

14 minutes ago, PaulyBFromDa303 said:

Quite frankly I'm astonished at the lack of support from idiot critics

Why are critics "idiots" for not liking this game exactly?

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Chuckle 1

32 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

Why? Nobody should be above criticism, especially a dev team that has been making the same mistakes again and again. Doesn't matter if they made 10 hits if their 11th product is shit.

I’ve always “defended” them (so to speak), because their recent games, while with several flows , had a bit of passion and few interesting ideas. This game is pure recycling in every aspect, and brought to the worst result possible. They are to blame now, and this is the first time in my life as a Sonic fan that I’d like to meet Iizuka again just to tell him to quit because his team isn’t capable of develop games. They should stick with mobile games, sonic runners is a lot deeper than Forces

Just now, Super Mechanio said:

Why are critics "idiots" for not liking this game exactly?

I think he means for not giving constructive criticism. Like instead of saying Sonic's annoying friends didn't need to here they could have went in most of them didn't affect the plot or something to that effect.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, PaulyBFromDa303 said:

Cause they're stupid idiot and they just made the lost!

- Chris Jericho

That's a rather arrogant outlook.

I happen think this game is hot garbage, but I don't think people who enjoy said garbage are idiots. There's a difference between attacking a body of work and attacking people themselves, after all.

• Thumbs Up 4

18 minutes ago, PaulyBFromDa303 said:

“Best game of the 2010’s”? I’m not judging you if you have better uses for your money and just don’t play a lot of games, but... are your tastes so Sonic specific that you’ve played no other games this decade?

Just in recent memory, we’ve had Nier Automata, Breath of the Wild, Mario Odssey, Lisa the Painful RPG, DOOM, Bloodborne, Kirby Planet Robobot, Undertale, Bayonetta 2, Crash Bandicoot Nsane Trilogy, Ratchet and Clank reboot, Persona 5, Titanfall 2, Hollow Knight, and Sonic Mania. Have all these games palled in comparison to Sonic Forces? 

• Thumbs Up 7

A. The above Jericho quote was meant to be used as comedy

B. When I say best of the 2010s, I mean best SONIC game of 2010s. And yes, I enjoyed it more than both Gens AND Mania. There's plenty of 2010s games that are better, Skyrim, Black ops series, DOOM, I'm comparing to strictly Sonic. 

C. I just think the critics are being way too harsh. 58? Seriously? How can that be? If anything I LOVE the boost function. I LOVE the whole CaC concept. The story. And best of all no glitches (that I'm aware of. I hear Steam and Ps4 handle differently than XB1)

Let’s just say this every fandom hates ign the sonic fandom, and the brony fandom ign game the mlp movie a 3/10 and it pissed Bronys off I bet the forces review may piss off the sonic fandom becuase how they play the game and suck on it purposely so far a lot of fandoms hate ign becuase let’s face it ign is shit and terrible the sonic community says so and so does the brony community.  ign = idiot gay nit pickers 

29 minutes ago, PaulyBFromDa303 said:

I wouldn't say it's not popular it  depends on where you look and who you care to gets opinions from. If your liking it all the power to you.  there are dozens of reviews that enjoyed the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, SonicLegends said:

I think that went without saying based on the spoilers of the levels being shown. I just didn't expect it to be below a game like Lost World which I just have to disagree with according to Metacritic as right now its score is 58 as opposed to Lost World being 63. 

I have to admit, despite not loving Sonic Forces much I’m surprised at the low Metacritic score too. I was expecting around the same score as Sonic Lost World, maybe even a little higher. But worse?? O_O It really sucks that this year we got the best Sonic game in years and the worst in years (Sonic Boom doesn’t count).

11 minutes ago, KHCast said:

A lot of those admittedly, I haven't seen go into detail about the game and specifically what makes this fun/or better than past attempts like Gens. Especially surprised that they never seem to compare things liken classic to his Mania counterpart, or bring up the control and feel of characters like the avatar and classic. Simply I see them go "I enjoyed it" which is fine, but not exactly a critical analysis like I'd have hoped.

More reason to look forward to Johnny’s review then! He’s sure to be critical of the game. Just hope he doesn’t get angry Sonic fans on his tail. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

3 minutes ago, PaulyBFromDa303 said:

B. When I say best of the 2010s, I mean best SONIC game of 2010s. And yes, I enjoyed it more than both Gens AND Mania. There's plenty of 2010s games that are better, Skyrim, Black ops series, DOOM, I'm comparing to strictly Sonic. 

C. I just think the critics are being way too harsh. 58? Seriously? How can that be? If anything I LOVE the boost function. I LOVE the whole CaC concept. The story. And best of all no glitches (that I'm aware of. I hear Steam and Ps4 handle differently than XB1)

YOU may like it, but what YOU like isn't what reviewers revolve their opinions around.

again, people have laid out multiple times their problems 

• Thumbs Up 3

10 minutes ago, PaulyBFromDa303 said:

There not harsh. It's a "opinion" of "A" person. Its sort of like politics. Those that didnt like the game will point to those low scores  to boost thier reasoning and those that like the game a lot will point to good reviews and both ignore the other side to  prove thier view. Don't let that bug you