Awoo.

Artwork: SpongicX's artwork

SpongicX

27 minutes ago, Foxboy Mick said:

I like your fan art!  Big as the butler is superb.

Thanks, I thought it would be a funny fit to have the biggest Sonic character be the biggest Cats Don't Dance character.

• 4 weeks later...

I feel you missed the joke of the dolls.  It wasn't about destroying them but rather the humour that Eggman created the dolls as a threat to Sonic - someone who would be grossed out by them.  In addition it's a joke on the "gameplay" of avoiding her hugging you at the end of Stardust Speedway.  As an Amy fan it really made me laugh and I thought it was a great little nod to her in a game that otherwise didn't feature her.  I definitely hope she appears in the next game proper, but I don't feel there was any hatred towards her by how they decided to reference her.

Regardless of my counter-opinion though, you did a really cute job on the art anyway!

• Thumbs Up 6

3 hours ago, JezMM said:

I feel you missed the joke of the dolls.  It wasn't about destroying them but rather the humour that Eggman created the dolls as a threat to Sonic - someone who would be grossed out by them.  In addition it's a joke on the "gameplay" of avoiding her hugging you at the end of Stardust Speedway.  As an Amy fan it really made me laugh and I thought it was a great little nod to her in a game that otherwise didn't feature her.  I definitely hope she appears in the next game proper, but I don't feel there was any hatred towards her by how they decided to reference her.

Regardless of my counter-opinion though, you did a really cute job on the art anyway!

It would have been better, if she actually appeared in the game, playable or not.

1 hour ago, SpongicX said:

It would have been better, if she actually appeared in the game, playable or not.

I'd like to see her too, but hey.

There's always the next Mania!

I don't see why it's shocking Amy only got a nod in here. She wasn't playable in the classic titles, and like certain other characters only appear as a quick cameo for bosses. Like where exactly would Amy even fit in here? This isn't Post-Adventure Amy who is far more capable of handling herself and can do more to help Sonic and co. Other than Fighters, Classic Amy didn't really have a lot so I don't see where they were going to fit her in. I thought what they did was a pretty clever nod to something that people tried to avoid in previous Sonic titles and was used as an effective injoke.  

You're taking this way too seriously and personally. I'm actually finding your sensitivity here to be rather funny. 

Right back when the game was announced last year, the team were asked about Amy and said they chose not to put her in the game because they just wanted to focus on the gameplay styles of Sonic, Tails and Knuckles that were already established and balanced. Adding her in would have meant an entirely new  fourth moveset, sprite sheet and yet another gameplay to balance. Even using her Advance moveset (which I personally would love to see adapted) would require a of work just to make her function well within the levels. Three unique characters is a lot - you do realise that, right? Plus there's the issue of taking something from a Modern game rather than being Classic or 'neo-Classic'. That wouldn't be an issue for me personally, but I get that it may have been for Sonic Team or even the Mania Team. They were treading a fine line between staying true to the Classics, adding in new content and indeed their very workload, with the entire project.

With the amount of content that Mania has, it still needed to be delayed by a few months, got an extra delay on one platform, a third party was contracted to port it to an extra platform AND it's evident that small bits of content had to get the chop.  And you're crying out for more because you think the developers hate her. Don't be daft. The boss battle she cameos in is a terrific nod to her behaviour, and the behaviour of the player, in CD. Interpreting it any other way is dumb.

Amy would be a welcome addition to Mania DLC or Mania 2. Heck, if she's not playable in the sequel-that-needs-to-happen, I'll be disappointed. She's so obviously the next port of call for another neo-Classic game.  I would have been thrilled if she was in Mania, but her absence doesn't bother me in the slightest. In fact, dangling her in front of our faces with a story appearance but not choosing to make her playable would be a massive tease, just like Tails in S4E2 or literally everyone in Forces. I can play as friggin' Tails and Knuckles again after so many years do you have any idea how happy that part of the reveal trailer made me?

Mania is brilliant. While you can be disappointed about what content is or isn't in the game, this particular reaction is taking it way too far.

52 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

You're taking this way too seriously and personally. I'm actually finding your sensitivity here to be rather funny. 

Right back when the game was announced last year, the team were asked about Amy and said they chose not to put her in the game because they just wanted to focus on the gameplay styles of Sonic, Tails and Knuckles that were already established and balanced. Adding her in would have meant an entirely new  fourth moveset, sprite sheet and yet another gameplay to balance. Even using her Advance moveset (which I personally would love to see adapted) would require a of work just to make her function well within the levels. Three unique characters is a lot - you do realise that, right? Plus there's the issue of taking something from a Modern game rather than being Classic or 'neo-Classic'. That wouldn't be an issue for me personally, but I get that it may have been for Sonic Team or even the Mania Team. They were treading a fine line between staying true to the Classics, adding in new content and indeed their very workload, with the entire project.

With the amount of content that Mania has, it still needed to be delayed by a few months, got an extra delay on one platform, a third party was contracted to port it to an extra platform AND it's evident that small bits of content had to get the chop.  And you're crying out for more because you think the developers hate her. Don't be daft. The boss battle she cameos in is a terrific nod to her behaviour, and the behaviour of the player, in CD. Interpreting it any other way is dumb.

Amy would be a welcome addition to Mania DLC or Mania 2. Heck, if she's not playable in the sequel-that-needs-to-happen, I'll be disappointed. She's so obviously the next port of call for another neo-Classic game.  I would have been thrilled if she was in Mania, but her absence doesn't bother me in the slightest. In fact, dangling her in front of our faces with a story appearance but not choosing to make her playable would be a massive tease, just like Tails in S4E2 or literally everyone in Forces. I can play as friggin' Tails and Knuckles again after so many years do you have any idea how happy that part of the reveal trailer made me?

Mania is brilliant. While you can be disappointed about what content is or isn't in the game, this particular reaction is taking it way too far.

I never said I disliked the game. I actually enjoyed it. I just found it shameful that Amy wasn't included at all. I would have been fine with seeing her show up at the very end, or something, but excluding her entirely felt like a let down.

3 minutes ago, SpongicX said:

I never said I disliked the game. I actually enjoyed it. I just found it shameful that Amy wasn't included at all. I would have been fine with seeing her show up at the very end, or something, but excluding her entirely felt like a let down.

I didn't say you disliked the game, did I? I just said that your overreaction to Amy's absence and subsequent boss cameo of sorts is dumb. 

14 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

I didn't say you disliked the game, did I? I just said that your overreaction to Amy's absence and subsequent boss cameo of sorts is dumb. 

No need to insult me, for having an opinion. It's not like I'm going around, and trying to make people outraged at the creators. Is it so wrong to feel let down that one of my favorite characters was left out of a game that was supposed to celebrate the classics?

Amy may not have been included a lot in the classics, but the creators had a chance to fix that. Besides, this game didn't really focus on a story, and only teased at being linked with Sonic Forces, it didn't show any hints at linking to Sonic Adventure. Just the way the stages from Mania were linked didn't make a lot of sense either. This game felt like a nostalgia trip, but it didn't feel much like a sequel.

They could have easily revealed that Amy was following Sonic the whole time, in hopes of being as brave as he is. They didn't need to make her playable for that to happen either. I could easily say you're taking my opinion way too far. At least I'm not calling the makers dumb for doing things differently, unlike your rude comments towards me for making an opinion.

13 minutes ago, SpongicX said:

No need to insult me, for having an opinion. It's not like I'm going around, and trying to make people outraged at the creators. Is it so wrong to feel let down that one of my favorite characters was left out of a game that was supposed to celebrate the classics?

Of course not- I even said that already. What's wrong is your overreaction, saying "the makers of Sonic Mania  hate Amy" and "they’re saying Amy is not important at all". Amy's important and they recognise that - putting her in in any way that didn't do her justice would suggest that they thought she was unimportant. Turn your thinking around.

Amy may not have been included a lot in the classics, but the creators had a chance to fix that. Besides, this game didn't really focus on a story, and only teased at being linked with Sonic Forces, it didn't show any hints at linking to Sonic Adventure. Just thr way the stages from Mania were linked didn't make a lot of sense either. This game felt like a nostalgia trip, but it didn't feel much like a sequel.

They had a chance to fix that, or they had a chance to say "let's get the groundwork right first, and then let's build up from there". Would you really have wanted an Amy that felt shoehorned in or other lacking compared to the rest? If something matters, then nothing is actually better than token fan service.

They could have easily revealed that Amy was following Sonic the whole time, in hopes of being as brave as he is. They didn't need to make her playable for that to happen either. I could easily say you're taking my opinion way too far. At least I'm not calling the makers dumb for doing things differently, unlike your rude comments towards me for making an opinion.

I'm not calling you dumb, just your overreaction. Because it is an overreaction. Amy's not a part of the game and that disappoints you. Fair enough. Not gonna argue with your opinion there. That's reasonable. But I'm arguing against the silly conclusions that you're drawing and trying to offer you another way of thinking about it. They could have "easily" done a bunch of other things in the game. That's always the case with any game though. And I still totally disagree - Mania is a game where the mantra is clearly "if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right". Shoehorning, as in your "easy" solution, just wouldn't cut it.

Personally, I think it's cool that Amy now has a canon "Metal" counterpart and I thought it was cool they decided to make her a Doll like Tails instead of one of the Metals.

Maybe next time we will get Amy and 100% new zones :D

I know your feeling, as a Daisy fan. I was so upset when she wasn't in 3D World yet Rosalina was playable, and all the princesses were rather slow as a result. 

• 3 weeks later...
Sega Forces Out

I don't know about you guys, but I would laugh so hard if Sega only let fans make their fan characters playable in Sonic Forces, just to end up giving their hopes up, and killing the avatars off in the end. There are some really creepy Sonic fans out there who take their made up/stolen characters way too seriously. Some of these fans feel so self entitled, that they feel their characters need to be in the series, I can't help but cringe or get annoyed with people like that. I decided to make a short satire comic, to poke fun at the idea of Sega actually killing off the avatars in Sonic Forces. 

I apologize if this comic offends anyone, but it's only made for laughs, don't take it too seriously. I am not trashing Sonic Forces, and am planning on getting the game as well. I do find it sad that Sonic's friends aren't playable, and were given the boot in favor of a cringe filled character maker, but I'm still willing to give the game a chance. I even have a Switch version preordered. 

Sonic Forces comes out real soon, November 7th, only 2 months away.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 2

• 2 weeks later...

amy_sophitia_by_spongicx-dbo7ubi.jpg
I don't know why, but I thought it would be fun to draw Amy as Sophitia Alexandra from Soul Calibur II. Sorry, I'm terrible at drawing weapons. 

and_we_re_not_at_pumpkin_hill_by_spongic

Halloween is still over a month away, but I thought I would go ahead and make a Halloween themed fan art. 

I thought it would be funny to draw Knuckles the Echidna accidentally coming across Curly Hill from The Nightmare Before Christmas, while actually looking for Pumpkin Hill from Sonic Adventure 2. Jack Skellington is just as confused as Knuckles right now. I used a screenshot from Kingdom Hearts as a reference for drawing Curly Hill. 

• Chuckle 1

• The title was changed to Artwork: SpongicX's artwork

Hey there, @SpongicX. I noticed you made two showcase threads back to back for individual art pieces and then saw that you'd made several threads in the same vein, so I've taken the liberty of merging them together. You are only allowed one thread per media in the Showcase, not a thread for every new thing you make. We do have exceptions for on-going projects, say a comic or album, but everything else should be under a single thread.

2 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

Hey there, @SpongicX. I noticed you made two showcase threads back to back for individual art pieces and then saw that you'd made several threads in the same vein, so I've taken the liberty of merging them together. You are only allowed one thread per media in the Showcase, not a thread for every new thing you make. We do have exceptions for on-going projects, say a comic or album, but everything else should be under a single thread.

Sorry, thanks for doing this, instead of just deleting my posts.

• 3 weeks later...

Made a bunch of fan drawings. A lot of them were based on screenshots from the Sonic Boom Episode "You and I Bee-Come One". 

sonic_and_amy_surprised_by_spongicx-dbqqsonic_the_silly_sunflower_by_spongicx-dbamy_brings_the_hammer_by_spongicx-dbqqdlbeebot_tails_by_spongicx-dbqqdsl.jpgamy_spots_a_ghost_by_spongicx-dbqqe0h.jphiding_something_by_spongicx-dbqqec8.jpgsonic_slip_by_spongicx-dbqqehw.jpgreaching_out_by_spongicx-dbqqel3.jpgsonic_disgusted_by_spongicx-dbqqeqc.jpgvictory_by_spongicx-dbqqeuz.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1