Awoo.

Dust Hill and Sonic Mania

dwitefry666

This might not be allowed, please delete if so and I'm ever so sorry mods (I say that a lot on forums)

So I'm running behind (pun intended?) with Sonic Mania, I didn't have a current gen system to play it on (nor the money to buy one with) until last week. Now I have a PS4 (please judge me accordingly) and Sonic Mania and have completed it with Sonic & Tails and Knuckles. I liked it a great deal. But I have a question I can't seem to answer, I wonder if anyone could please? I  suppose Spoiler Warning from here on for those who like to be surprised: 

Spoiler

Mirage Saloon takes some of it's inspiration from the scrapped Sonic 2 level that's mostly known as Dust Hill Zone - the Sakabu Zone or Desert Zone - the cacti are there and so is the background rocks for instance - but what I didn't notice is if the level recreates the area from the 'Dust Hill' mock-up screenshot that started the fandom's fascination with the scrapped zone , this one:

DesertlevelCorrectColor.JPG

I could just have missed it, you do go a bit fast in Sonic after all, but does anyone know if they did add this to the level? I can't seem to find any information either way. 

Thank for any help. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Sabaku Zone? Just call it Dust Hill...

To answer your question though, no I don't believe that that area is recreated at all. It's not even in CD 2011's scrapped Desert Dazzle. Mirage Saloon is based on the art of Dust Hill, but that's about as far as it goes. It adds a lot more original content to the mix, and doesn't use the winter transition gimmick or the badniks from Dust Hill.

Someone also discovered that "Dust Hill" was in fact a different Zone from the screenshot, which is called "Sand Shower". And Mirage Saloon is clearly Desert Dazzle. In fact, all of Taxman's prior proposed zones made it into Mania in some capacity.

Titanic Monarch is pretty clearly modeled off Final Fever.  The Boss of the level, as well as parts of its color scheme, closely resemble Egg Gauntlet as well.

Egg Reverie seems to have at least some inspiration from Egg Gauntlet.

Some elements from the ORIGINAL R2 also show up.

27 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Sabaku Zone? Just call it Dust Hill...

To answer your question though, no I don't believe that that area is recreated at all. It's not even in CD 2011's scrapped Desert Dazzle. Mirage Saloon is based on the art of Dust Hill, but that's about as far as it goes. It adds a lot more original content to the mix, and doesn't use the winter transition gimmick or the badniks from Dust Hill.

Throw in other names, cover bases

And thanks, it's a bit of a shame they didn't add it in, they threw so much else in

12 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Someone also discovered that "Dust Hill" was in fact a different Zone from the screenshot, which is called "Sand Shower". And Mirage Saloon is clearly Desert Dazzle. In fact, all of Taxman's prior proposed zones made it into Mania in some capacity.

Did the Sand Shower thing actually get confirmed? That Sand Shower Zone was the name retained for the Desert Zone at the time of the mock-up screenshots being made?  

My understanding was that the name Sand Shower Zone comes from those past/present/future images from Horikazu Yasuhara's presentation, which also includes the name Dust Hill Zone. Dust Hill Zone was a ‘ruined present’ version of Green Hill Zone and Sand Shower Zone was the present version of Rock World Zone and I think was slated to be a desert zone. However my understanding is also that the mock-up screenshots came from later in development, the Hidden Palace Zone being a thing by that point to appear in one of them, and the Desert Zone was just called that, Desert Zone and may have been given the Dust Hill Zone name but no one’s really sure of that. Did someone come along and say ‘it was still called Sand Shower Zone and Dust Hill Zone was something else’ and I missed it? Because that is completely possible, I’m just being a picky little toad and checking, apologies.

• 10 months later...

While it's unlikely, if you want to search for such a spot yourself, rips of the maps from Sonic Mania do exist here: https://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_Mania_level_maps#Mirage_Saloon_Zone

But honestly it would be such a vague thing to reference, it probably didn't even cross the level designers' minds, especially considering Mirage Saloon was one of the four original zones in the game.

EDIT: Wow I just got super confused by my own actions.  If anyone is wondering why I replied to a 2017 thread, it's because a duplicate thread made by the same person linked back to this one in a seemingly-broken spoiler tag, so I figured I'd just reply here.  Didn't even notice how old it was, I assumed the board was just glitching out and only displaying one of the two duplicates in the new topic box.  Seems the newer thread has been deleted now.