Awoo.

Sonic Forces - Story Trailer (English and Japanese)

Ryusuke

I'm jealous, Japan got an epic new trailer of Sonic Forces, while Nintendo of America only showed off 8 boring seconds of the Switch version, during a Nintendo Direct...

• Thumbs Up 1

I like how Rouge showed up, and the increased scope of the game, which reminds me of Power Rangers in Space. And we have some more evidence of the "Tails death" rumor. (And the Pontac rumor remains completely unverified). Oh, and Orbot's now the one reduced to cameos. Ha-ha-ha-ha-hahahahahahah!

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm hoping at the very least Forces story will be better than Gens, SLW (and maybe Colors) and it does look like we have the most interesting one since Unleashed.

Nice to have Knuckles take on a more prominent role. Being a captain leader is a more interesting role for him for sure.

Cap'n Knux pushes his crew around. TAKES NO PRISONERS!

giphy.gif

I see Sonic was knocked out...again. First times since Gens.

I'm wondering what happens to Tails? I mean, Sonic's been knocked out and Knuckles is leader of the resistance. So either Tails escapes (if he did I'd have assumed he'd be leader of the resistance) or maybe he's captured and held prisoner.

Tails dies XP 

• Thumbs Up 5

2 minutes ago, Chaos Control Freak said:

Not really concerned with "being a target" or "improving things for myself"... I'm just talking about Sonic, and how I honestly feel. :yum:

My point is that disrespect is a recurring thing in these threads. I'm trying to be rational, and while you've been okay, things like refuting other people's equally-legitimate feelings with 'well you just hate this' is a step in the wrong direction. Shit has gotten bad here before, and I don't want more of it.

8 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Personally I'd argue the wisps were the padding of colors as they were multiple different styles thrown throughout the game, and the game relied on their use in many stages.

In what way, though? How is it padding when it doesn't take up much more (and sometimes less) time than simply running and jumping through the areas wisps have you traverse? Half the time, they're even optional.

and what? "What would be the point of classic sonic if it wasn't a flawed mimic? What did you expect? Improvements?"

You know I didn't say that. What I'm trying to get across is that I don't know why you'd expect improvements for something that I can't imagine the complaints about actually reached Sega for. I know Classic's physics aren't one-to-one with the Megadrive games, but do you think Sega does? Do you think the general buyerbase or bigshot reviewers do? I don't, and thus I can't imagine any reason they'd fix what, to them, isn't broken. Second of all, you mentioned the gameplay, which to me means the mechanics specifically, not being changed other than the drop-dash, and I was asking what the point of altering the mechanics beyond what is categorically referred to as the gameplay Classic Sonic has. I may have misread and you're only talking about the physics (in which case I still don't care that much), but I don't need Classic Sonic to do anything different than what he does in Sonic 1, 2, 3K, Generations and Mania. To be anything else than what he is in those games is to cease being Classic Sonic.

18 minutes ago, Yeow said:

If you're personally not fussed either way about the complaints people have anre are still looking forward to the game, that's absolutely fine. More power to you. At the same time though, if you're going to say there's nothing problematic about the Classic Sonic Green Hill level in this game, I'm afraid to say you're going to need some stronger arguments to explain your position.

Yeah, the placement of that Boost Pad is rather bothersome... But, overall, it's nowhere near enough to turn me off of the whole thing. I haven't seen enough to feel strongly one way or the other yet. All they've literally shown us, of Classic Sonic, is that one Act and a Boss Fight with Eggman. They look fine. They're certainly nothing to write home about. But, they look totally harmless (lightyears better than, say Sonic 4: Episode I, imo).

The gameplay I've seen, while lacking ambition, looks decent enough, and I'm hyped for the story. That's about where I'm at, personally.

7 minutes ago, Shaddy the guy said:

My point is that disrespect is a recurring thing in these threads. I'm trying to be rational, and while you've been okay, things like refuting other people's equally-legitimate feelings with 'well you just hate this' is a step in the wrong direction. Shit has gotten bad here before, and I don't want more of it.

I'll keep that in mind.

I was referring to the sentiments I was seeing in general, in the thread, not personally refuting his feelings...

5 minutes ago, Shaddy the guy said:

Do you think the general buyerbase or bigshot reviewers do? I don't, and thus I can'

I mean that's how most big time game companies improve their products. I really doubt, especially with how interactive sega has been with their fans, fan concerns and complaints didn't reach them. Especially when Gens released in 2011, so they'd have to have been really ignoring the fan base over the years. I mean, they got fans together to discuss improvements to Sonic 4, and that was a relatively small game. 

Also, physics, automation, etc. are the issues I was referring to yes 

Okay, then I can't really say I buy that, unfortunately. Sorry. I can remember loads more people talking about Sonic 4's physics issues than in Generations. In fact, other than "it's too short" and "I don't like the side missions" I can't remember any common complaints about Generations' gameplay from when it was released. Almost all the criticism I've seen for it was in the wake of this game.

• Thumbs Up 2

Physics for classic were pretty big discussions even during its praise period from what I remember. 

I remember many debates to be had about the instant spin dash and wonky rolling physics when the game first put out the demo 

• Thumbs Up 2

You know what? I do remember the talk about the explosive spindash. That was the subject of several forum posts.

For what it's worth, even in dedicated Sonic fans / communities, I don't recall a significant amount of criticism for Generations' rolling physics. It was definitely discussed, but from my days lurking I didn't see it constantly either. At least, not compared to what happened with Sonic 4.

It helps that a lot of people were looking forward to Generations. That's the main factor, imo.

• Thumbs Up 6

Yeah I'm all about this trailer.  Sonic falling down the shaft was the moneyshot for me, such a cool vibe that I hope doesn't turn out to be boring or undramatic in it's final context.

I hope the Classic/Avatar/possible overlysimple Colours-esque boost gameplay baggage doesn't drag the experience down too much (if at all) for me, because this vibe is exactly what I've wanted out of a Sonic game for a while.

2 hours ago, Bowbowis said:

On top of that the environments as a whole are still bland and lifeless as fuck. Seriously just compare the future city from Forces:

IMG_6024.PNG.115caa74089a1bef118ba50f0f802ce9.PNG

To Grand Metropolis from Heroes:

Grandmetropolis.jpg

Mise en scène really does matter SEGA. Figure it out already.

This seems a tad pre-emptive.  You're comparing a tight shot on top of a high up bridge to a sprawling vista here.  We haven't had a good look at the city in it's stage form.

Also not sure why people are criticising camera movements and stuff... how much are you expecting the camera to move in single second cuts?

• Thumbs Up 7

I'd rather have static and stiff than sickening and incomprehensible. On top of all it's other problems, Berserk 2016 or as I refer to it Shitty Berserk proved that constantly panning all over the place and spinning your camera around like crazy does not compensate for a lack of animation.

Not that anything Sonic-related will ever be as insultingly awful as Shitty Berserk, that is.

5 hours ago, Jeffhog said:

Just noticed: Shadow's eyes are doing the thing again.

If that's really intentional now and not some "graphical oversight" since we're less than two months away from launch now, I'm really curious to see just how he wound up on Team Eggman.

59b9eb275ca12_ScreenShot2017-09-13at7_35_52PM.png.e96ec00b95b481fb817f00cd8a4ae147.png

Bet you a million dollars Shadow is under some sort of mind control. But other than that, my hype has gone through the roof! Now only if Sega of America can release a trailer this epic.

The best possible route for Shadow to take is that Eggman created Infinite, and Shadow sympathizes with him because they're both 2cool4skool black-and-red artificial life-forms created by insane scientists who try to destroy the Earth.

49 minutes ago, Woun said:

Subtitles:

Awesome! Updated the opening posted with this.

I never really had any problem with this game, but this definitely the most exciting trailer they put out so far. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Also Eggman has a plan that involves something that will apparently destroy the heroes in 3 days. Now where have I heard that before?

IMG_0862.PNG

• Thumbs Up 6

This trailer was actually good. I'm impressed! The gameplay of Forces isn't what I want at all, and I loathe the custom character and Classic Sonic being present in this game. As others have said, if this was the first trailer and we hadn't seen raw gameplay footage, my opinions on this game would be positive. I've for a bunch of other issues with the game beyond gameplay too. But the story looks interesting, and like I just said, this trailer is exciting. Ultimately it doesn't give me much hope for Forces itself, but maybe the next game will be better?

I wonder when Forces went into development, when Classic Sonic was decided upon and when the story was finalised. Mania only started development in early 2016, but was clearly made in tandem work Forces. Forces seems to have had a much, much shorter development cycle than we initially suspected. 

• Thumbs Up 8

IMG_3313.PNG

Truly terrifying

I guess this is from a late game scene with those hundreds of avatars in the background. Good job making them look individual ???

• Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 8

12 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

This trailer was actually good. I'm impressed!

I'm surprised you actually liked it! xD

It didn't do anything for me personally... But it's cool to know "something" about this game is starting to hype up disinterested people little for it.

Wow, that was..actually a really good trailer! Some of the cutscenes looked a bit stiff but the story seems intriguing enough and that shot of Sonic falling was so cool. It made me feel...slightly hyped for Sonic Forces?! O_O

Then I remember the other issues I have like CaC, Classic Sonic and mediocre looking stages and hype deflates. Dammit, they actually have all the characters interact with each other too and Knuckles (<3) is now a LEADER of the Resistance! As a huge fan of Knuckles that's so cool, out of the left field but SO COOL. *sigh* I'll just keeping waiting for reviews nearer release day or, you know, more levels besides the same ol' GHZ and Park Avenue. >>

• Thumbs Up 2

God damn this trailer is giving me all sorts of feels. I've longed for a story-deep Sonic game ever since the Pontaff era overstayed their welcome. I just really hope all these scenes and twists are pulled off well and they aren't rushed or end up being shallow and stupid.

I'm not the biggest fan of Generations' gameplay so I'm taking a big risk with preordering this game. But hopefully it will be worth it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

That was decent. It did a good job portraying good vs evil, especially for a Sonic story. Very similar to he climax battles found in Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings. 

I'm definitely intrigued more closer to release. Sega need to stop showing the same stages though, give fans some more to believe that their concerns are true/false.