Awoo.

Sonic Mania SPOILERS/Impressions Thread

Zippo

1 minute ago, Dr. Mechano said:

I might not totally agree, as I think Eggman's funny dialogue is part of why I love the character so much.

But I feel like the best portrayals of Eggman know how to balance his comical whimsy with the fact that he's still a diabolical evil genius. They know how to make him both funny and legitimately threatening at the same time - and, if they're really up to it, sprinkle in a bit of humanizing qualities to really complete the whole thing.

SA2 amazingly hits all of these points despite him not being the final boss, which again shows that I think the character can still be legitimately engaging outside of the main antagonist role.

That's why I mentioned his dialogue leaving much to be desired. The thing is, if SEGA actually WANTED to make Eggman like that, they could, but for whatever reason his bumbling persona that began primarily in Unleashed is something they just can't let go of, just like those Egg Pawns they keep friggin' redesigning. They can't let things go and that's where I have the most issues.

I'm ready for a quirky yet terrifying Eggman and an entire new armada of robots to smash to pieces, and I'm just not getting that. Why? I don't know.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

That's why I mentioned his dialogue leaving much to be desired. The thing is, if SEGA actually WANTED to make Eggman like that, they could, but for whatever reason his bumbling persona that began primarily in Unleashed is something they just can't let go of, just like those Egg Pawns they keep friggin' redesigning. They can't let things go and that's where I have the most issues.

I'm ready for a quirky yet terrifying Eggman and an entire new armada of robots to smash to pieces, and I'm just not getting that. Why? I don't know.

To be fair he's extremely quirky in Mania, bringing us some of the most hilarious bosses in the series so far, while still being competent and intimidating at the same time. And the new armada of robots is a check as well.

Again, for a game with zero dialogue, Eggman really has personality in this game. So far I really like how he's been handled, but I am a little worried about him being supplanted as true final boss, which would be a sour endnote to an otherwise stellar Eggman role.

Make no mistake, I like what I've seen of Mania so far, both in general and related to Eggman specifically. I'm just holding out hope that it lasts into the finale...

• Thumbs Up 5

Just now, Dr. Mechano said:

To be fair he's extremely quirky in Mania, while still being competent and intimidating, and the new armada of robots is a check as well.

Again, for a game with zero dialogue, Eggman really has personality in this game. So far I really like how he's been handled, but I am a little worried about him being supplanted as true final boss, which would be a sour endnote to an otherwise stellar Eggman role.

I'm mainly referring to Forces with that last one.

Mania is doing things rather well I admit. Being honest I found Sonic's best portrayal when he was in those silent scenes you could unlock in Unleashed.

Hell, maybe it's just a franchise that have characters that are only good when mute nowadays... I don't know.

Just now, Chris Knopps said:

I'm mainly referring to Forces with that last one.

Mania is doing things rather well I admit. Being honest I found Sonic's best portrayal when he was in those silent scenes you could unlock in Unleashed.

Hell, maybe it's just a franchise that have characters that are only good when mute nowadays... I don't know.

Can't agree there, as I find Pollock's take on Eggman way too endearing to want to mute the guy.

But I am glad to see that even in a totally wordless game, they've managed to capture these characters' personalities and charm. Kudos to Mania for some great attention to the little details.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, GoldnEdge said:

funny how they noticed all those game overs Mark got

Gotta get gud son,

2 minutes ago, GoldnEdge said:

funny how they noticed all those game overs Mark got

I literally died when they acknowledged that

• Thumbs Up 1

Does anyone know how the game starts? Do we just begin in Green Hill or is there an opening cutscene? Anyone got a link?

1 minute ago, Spooky Mulder said:

Does anyone know how the game starts? Do we just begin in Green Hill or is there an opening cutscene? Anyone got a link?

It starts the same as Sonic 3 (without Super Sonic), but when you get to the part that used to have Knuckles, you find the HBHs and Eggman, who uses a mystery jewel to teleport you to Green Hill Zone. 

Did anyone else think the animation in the hand-drawn portion of the ending cinematic was kind of... I dunno... half-baked? The artist(s) clearly put a lot of effort into the rolling clouds and smoke/explosions, all credit to them for that, but after the cut to the Little Planet, it essentially becomes an animatic with coloured assets rather than a proper cinematic, with there being no animation to speak of besides translating static image layers and Sonic's expression changing across three or four frames; if I still had access to After Effects, I could easily make something like this half of the ending. This together with certain things like the lack of transitions between some Zones tells me that the game could have used more time and a bigger budget.

In other news, Mark apologised for Oil Ocean and said he'll do another video either tonight or tomorrow. 

As someone who got a game over on the first try of Hydro city boss, the zone's mini boss will be really satisfyingly hilarious.

Well, as I can't play until 29th, I have read all this thread. Sega, YOU made me do it! >_<

A bit disappointed that they chose Oil Ocean over Star Light, Mystic Cave, Mushroom Hill, Launch Base... But well, it is what it is.

9 minutes ago, Zippo said:

Wasn't keeping up, Titanic Monarch is a full two act stage like Death Egg, right?

Yes. 

Final zone but we still need to see what you get after all Chaos Emeralds. You never fight the Leader Heavy so far.

Yup, there's one last zone for sure. 

Also, we still know nothing about the extras or what the medals unlock, right?

13 minutes ago, Zippo said:

Yup, there's one last zone for sure. 

Also, we still know nothing about the extras or what the medals unlock, right?

I'll guess the extras menu is a Sound Test, Concept Art (delicious delicious concept art) and maybe a... 

Uh...

I dunno what else. 

Sonic Forces trailer.

Have there been any signs of the zone corresponding to the image, yellow and blue among other colors if that helps you remember!) that was revealed many moons ago?  

(It seems like fortunately a good page to pop in on without spoiling too much; although with the PC version delay, i will want to be seeing what the game actually is within just a few days as though it was released)

I've just realized something that (so far) is wrong with Mania's story: when Sonic and Tails reach Angel Island at the beginning, it is at the sea level. Angel Island, AKA Floating Island should be, you guessed, floating in the sky. That is, unless the Master Emerald was taken away from the Island... Knuckles what have you done? Do we have leaked Knuckles' campaign already?

35 minutes ago, expansivelovestories said:

Have there been any signs of the zone corresponding to the image, yellow and blue among other colors if that helps you remember!) that was revealed many moons ago?  

(It seems like fortunately a good page to pop in on without spoiling too much; although with the PC version delay, i will want to be seeing what the game actually is within just a few days as though it was released)

Press Garden act 2, it's a zoom on some yellow cog.

Just now, Zippo said:

1502483311-s70811-22274075.jpg

More leaks! Yeah, this guy is total final boss material.

Crossing my fingers that he's either the final boss of the Knuckles campaign or that - if he's the Super Sonic boss - he's fought in conjunction with, or under the command of, Eggman.

It could still work out for the Doc! It's not over yet!

55 minutes ago, Faber-Of-Wisps-And-Might said:

I'll guess the extras menu is a Sound Test, Concept Art (delicious delicious concept art) and maybe a... 

Uh...

I dunno what else. 

Sonic Forces trailer.

latest?cb=20120307001734

Spoiler

The doll doesn't count.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Promotion 1

Read all the thread. Really hoping a certain villain appears in the end. Did they explain what the purple gem is?

1 hour ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Crossing my fingers that he's either the final boss of the Knuckles campaign or that - if he's the Super Sonic boss - he's fought in conjunction with, or under the command of, Eggman.

It could still work out for the Doc! It's not over yet!

It's going to be depressing if Classic Robotnik is "Forced" into Modern Eggman territory in whatever 2D games are to come of being the hyucky fat guy who gets the boot by his own baddies every other game.

It's much better when all of his own creations at the very least are terrified of him. I couldn't care less if some random God he's dumb enough to set free takes control of the scene, but his own creations screwing him over while he cracks zingers with Sonic?

No.