Awoo.

Sonic Mania is Approaching: What's Your Plan?

Zippo

Next week, Sonic Mania, the 2D Sonic game many of us have been waiting decades for, will be a measly month away.  The game is most certainly done at this point. In 2-3 weeks, reviewers and journalists could and probably will have the final game in their hands. We know how this goes already. One fabled person with connections will get a download of the game early and will proceed to stream it and spoil every last bit of the game live. Other people will follow him directly after. Music will start to be uploaded. Story details will leak. The names of the new unrevealed zones will become known. The final boss will make itself known, somehow, some way. People who don't care about others will post spoiler filled screenshots and thumbnails all over on social media. This happens with almost every eagerly anticipated game nowadays. The question I wanted to ask is: What is your guys' game plan? Will you stay off of social media, forums and whatnot until you have the game in your hands? Unfollow people spoiling it for themselves? Filter out any mentions of the game? Or will you stay and spoil every last bit of the game for yourselves?

I'm just gonna chill, probably stay away from any spoilery-looking threads, but not stress over accidentally seeing something.

Game's gonna be good. Game's not going to be significantly less good just because I see a boss or a level early.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Mania(or Sonic Games in general tbh) isn't the type of game I worry about getting spoilers for. In fact I'm hoping for a clean Soundtrack leak to hurry up lol.

Gonna try my best to avoid spoilers. It's gonna be hard for me cause I'm a weakling.

But really, one month won't be so bad. I know I can do other....things........to keep me...............entertained.........................

595d0ee3cc6d7_download(8).jpg.227dd4957b5598346883ff27e1300efc.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

24 minutes ago, Zippo said:

Story details will leak.

How cute, you think this game is going to have a story.

• Thumbs Up 1

I want the same experience I had as a kid, where you didn't really know what was coming next each time you finished a new zone or got to a new place, so I'll be avoiding spoilers.

The planets have aligned such that the new job I got last month has it's busiest week of the year be the exact week that Mania comes out... so that in itself may serve well to keep me away from spoilers, the question is whether my work schedule will be antagonistic towards my ability to play the game in both a relaxed and timely manner.

• Thumbs Up 6

I don't mind spoilers, but I'm going to avoid watching any videos to keep things fresh until I get my copy of Mania.

Eh, play it when it releases. It's at a cheap price so I already pre-ordered it on steam. I'm going into this pretty blind in comparison to others here. Since I haven't been following the news surrounding Mania since early this year. 

I'm thinking about streaming the game but I expect my playthrough to be a bit frustrating. Same experience that I had with all of the classic games.. ( I'm pretty bad with them .) So the save the embarrassment, I might not do that. Lol

I'll play it through. Probably a few times.

I'll prolly also end up tweeting... gotta decide on a hashtag for Jez people to mute lol. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I think I'll stop visiting ssmb on August 1st. Even though I can avoid spoiler threads if the title says "SPOILER", I can see many threads like "blablabla CONFIRMED!". I prefer to be surprised as much as possible, although I still want to know the Sonic 3 zone. 

41 days from now :)

I plan on wiping my youtube account completely so that I don't get spoiled by random thumbnails in the recommended videos. If there are any more official zone reveals I probably won't be able to avoid it but other than that I'm going to try going in knowing as little as possible. I want play the game and have no idea what the next zone will be. 

I might have a look at what the overall review scores are but I won't be reading/watching any reviews, there's always one outlet which spoils something. 

Sitting by my mailbox during the week before the 15th waiting for my Collector's Edition to arrive hoping for an accidental early release

[spongebob meme pic here]

It is actually been a good while for a game to get "spoiled" for me, even my last mainstream game that was Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain I wasn't spoiled by any of the events and in fact gave me a warning that the game wasn't finished. Most of the games that I have played for the past few years aren't the spoiler type, so old/obscure that no one really cares what goes off in the game or wasn't really spoiled by the spoiler such as Spec Ops: The Line and saw the plotline coming. Besides Sonic Mania isn't a sort of game that'll get spoiled by the story or cutscenes.

However chances are that I won't get the game straight away, even after launch and might even take up to a few years for me to get. It is really to do with the PC version. Will it run on my devices that toasters are more powerful than those (my devices can't run any main game past 2011 and many older ones either)? Is the port fine or does it have issues? That is one thing that I really want to know, sure the Retro Engine runs as low as a Dreamcast but bad or buggy ports do happen. I might end up with a PS4 or a Switch but doubtful due to the cost of both. Also with a large console backlog, it might take me until Sonic Mania 2/next 3D game to get around to play it (plus I want to reserve my last platformer for a special time).

If I see a complete list of zones, that won't bother me at all since the classics mention those (or most of those) in the manual. I don't mind getting spoiled with the soundtrack due to that I often listen to VGM outside of the game (clearer too) and in the case of a few Sonic games, heard the soundtrack before buying/playing the game. Gameplay footage might be a concern especially later on the game so sort of the final stage/boss type of thing. Luckily I don't follow Youtube much and I don't follow gaming websites these days so that isn't a major concern. What might be a concern is here. I can avoid the spoiler threads and discussion (and have been since Chemical Plant) but I can't avoid statuses and I just can't trust people enough since people are going to be tempted to post stuff like that. Even a picture taken from a PS4 Share or a PC screenshot can be worrying. Most likely I'll avoid the place for a week or two during the launch and come back when the hype has died down.

It won't affect the enjoyment of the game if I do get spoiled but the idea of the surprise will be affected. I just want to be surprised playing the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not particularly bothered about any end-of-game spoilers or reveals of other zones, but I won't watch any full playthroughs if Mania is leaked early.

In the week leading up to Mania I will replay all classic Sonic mega-drive games. Then on 15th Aug I will be doing a total media black-out (gonna be working that day). I'll stream my first playthrough. Will play first with Sonic & Tails. Once I've beaten the game and gotten the good ending I'll then come back onto SSMB etc. 

Then I'll play with Tails, Knux & Sonic solo. I've got just over a week off work from 16th Aug so plenty of time to play Mania to my hearts content! Which is what I've been doing with the Crash N-Sane trilogy :P

Since Mania's announcement I've been uploading playthroughs of the classic games with different characters to my youtube channel. I swear viewers prefer watching Tails and Knuckles over Sonic. The popularity of my Sonic CD-Tails playthrough (link's in my sig) amazes me. I'll be uploading quite a few playthoughs of Mania :)

It's so fucking exciting.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm probably going to be doing the "Classic" thing and spend the final days constantly breathing into a plastic bag while gasping random nonsense about excitement and what a fanboy I am.

Then probably drool like a lunatic when I actually play the thing...

Come on, who doesn't feel this way?

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Chuckle 1

If any of you spoil the game for me, I'll personally pay you a visit.

It won't be cordial.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

It won't be cordial.

Sonic wins.

You're welcome.

Watch a full LP of the game.

Get the game, potentially soon or potentially later.

Knowing stuff in advance means nothing.

When leaks happen, I'll probably leave sonic boards and not look up anything Mania related till I'll be able to play the game (which will be 15th August, so eh). Pretty much works with Danganronpa v3, so that won't be the problem here.

If the story gets spoiled (if there is anything to spoil), eh, whatever, not the end of the world. I'll also look at review scores, just for fun I guess.

I dunno. Play some video games.

I'll just quietly wait for it to come out. Like I have been for almost every other game this year.

I'm kinda split on the spoiler issue. Like I want to know more about the game, but not if it isn't official PR stuff from Sega themselves. I've already pre-purchased the game so I can wait until it goes live on Steam. But until then, I am planning to try and do some playthroughs of the original games in the days leading up to Mania's release.

5 hours ago, Eevee of the Everstone said:

How cute, you think this game is going to have a story.

Dunno if you're deliberately trying to bait a response here or not, but the developers are on record on saying that the game will have a story. Taxman has said there is a reason that old stages are returning to the game and that the game will have in-game cutscenes similar to Sonic 3&K.

Unless you're referring to Mania not having "a story" akin to the 3D games like Adventure or Unleashed or whatever Forces is going to serve up...in which I don't know what to tell you. The entire point of the game is to follow on the Genesis games, which may not have stories on those levels of games, but had stories nonetheless.

• Thumbs Up 2

18 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I'm kinda split on the spoiler issue. Like I want to know more about the game, but not if it isn't official PR stuff from Sega themselves. I've already pre-purchased the game so I can wait until it goes live on Steam. But until then, I am planning to try and do some playthroughs of the original games in the days leading up to Mania's release.

Dunno if you're deliberately trying to bait a response here or not, but the developers are on record on saying that the game will have a story. Taxman has said there is a reason that old stages are returning to the game and that the game will have in-game cutscenes similar to Sonic 3&K.

Unless you're referring to Mania not having "a story" akin to the 3D games like Adventure or Unleashed or whatever Forces is going to serve up...in which I don't know what to tell you. The entire point of the game is to follow on the Genesis games, which may not have stories on those levels of games, but had stories nonetheless.

I believe the game will be somewhere between S3&K and CD where we POTENTIALLY have an animated into/ending and we have sprite-based cutscenes in between.

...I certainly HOPE at least...

I will be SO pissed if the only animation is in trailers, that's as infuriating as only having CGi in trailers and none in the actual product.

1 hour ago, Indigo Rush said:

It won't be cordial.

It'll be sensual.

I can't think of anything more erotic than Sonic Mania leaks. ;)

• Thumbs Up 1