Awoo.

Weird Official Sonic Art

Big Panda

27 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

I thought Dave's art was pretty decent in the early days when he first started. But he suffered the same inflection as Penders where his art somehow continued to get worse over time.

Meh, I've never liked it much. It always seemed to me the super wacky nature of his art came less from intention and more from being very sloppy and half-arsed. In other words it didn't seem like he way trying to be stylistic, more he just wasn't very good. 

40 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

You're saying words but it's like they don't make sense in the order you arranged them in. Did you have a stroke?

...You what?

I liked Dave Manak's earliest work, but it got worse pretty fast. Ironically I think it got worse when he switched from the SatAM style Sonic to the more "correct" spike style. I agree with Shroom that he kept drawing Sonic from this terrible angle and with his muzzle stretched out and looking like it was painted on, and it's always annoyed me a lot. I wouldn't say Manak is "bad", he has plenty of decent work, but he's not a really excellent Sonic artist.

It reached it's lowest point when the modern designs were brought in.

The same happened to Art Mawhinney: his style, in my opinion, suited classic Sonic perfectly and it almost always looked really nice. Then modern Sonic came in and...eeeehhhhh.

• Thumbs Up 1

That time in the 90's when Sonic and Sally promoted Coca-Cola.

segaworld_sonic_cups.jpg

If people wondered why Australian kids were leading the world in tooth decay, look no further. They went from Freedom Fighters to Fluoride Fighters.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 2

Nothing tops that picture of Sonic reading a book with a glass of wine while Tails is freezing to death outside begging to be let in.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

I love these kind of threads.

Here's a horrific-looking, blueberry-nose Sonic reveling in Sega's success. I can't remember the source, unfortunately. It was from some magazine.

dRAm4U1.jpg

This image I believe was actually taken from one of Sega's style guides for the franchise. I'm not even sure what kind of pose is trying to be shown off here.

qiwlmoB.jpg

And while not exactly artwork, I still think it fits the thread. Why anyone would want a Sonic mascot to help out with a fashion show display is beyond me.

MvD9OT0.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 3
  • My Emmerdoods 1

6 hours ago, Clewis said:

Here's a horrific-looking, blueberry-nose Sonic reveling in Sega's success. I can't remember the source, unfortunately. It was from some magazine.

dRAm4U1.jpg

This is from a cover for Wired magazine.

This image here still gets to me every time I see it.

image.png.dbc2e17b20d2839400f0f86cccf936e9.png

Like holy cripes, THIS was the reference for an official color guidance? His head is super tiny, his nose is all wrong, and his teeth were transplanted by a mutant beaver. I mean come on, whose call was it to use THIS??

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

latest?cb=20100219193630

Tails was so excited at becoming a zookeeper for the day... he broke his neck.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 3

This panel is the best evidence that the Knuckles comic book was complete shite:

image.png.ca4af75d9272739190bae4fc390d7a6a.png

Nothing I say can do this pic the injustice it deserves, so I'll leave it to the folks at Find the Computer Room:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 5

• 4 months later...

Sorry for the necropost but I still don't know what the sh*t was going on with Sonic 3D Blast and it's art. 

topkek.jpg

kek.jpg

More bad Archie Sonic art...

dunno.jpg

holy heck.png

wat.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

53 minutes ago, Ernest the Snowpanda said:

Where's that first one from?

The model?

Also, what's kind of odd, is the Sonic one with the rings is actually supposedly from Knuckles' Chaotix...?

25 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

It's from Sonic Crackers obviously...

Why would SEGA produce art for an unreleased prototype?

8 hours ago, ClassicKnuckles said:

Here's some more weird official art...

idunnoaboutthisone.png

Sonic Adventure CG art is weird? It looks really good for something made in '98.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, MainJP said:

Sonic Adventure CG art is weird? It looks really good for something made in '98.

His spikes are weird to be more specficic