Awoo.

Metroid: Samus Returns for 3DS Confirmed (September)

Zippo

Yeah, I beat it the other day and had a solid, good time overall. It also has the honor of being the only 2D Metroid game I ever bothered to complete 100% lol.

Since I never played the original GB version I went into this title as if it were a new game, but after reading up on the differences, I find it very impressive that that is pretty much what this game ended up being. It seemed like MercurySteam threw out the original map almost entirely and kept merely the bare essentials of the plot and game progression. I think I still like Super Metroid more, but this game definitely has the best "feel" of any game in the series, and it's about on par with Zero Mission for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Sean said:

It seemed like MercurySteam threw out the original map almost entirely and kept merely the bare essentials of the plot and game progression.

Absolutely. The only thing Metroid: Samus Returns and Metroid 2: Return of Samus have in common is that both deal with Samus Return(ing) to SR388 to eradicate the Metroids, which she does sans for a hatchling that sticks with her. 

Everything else, it's really something entirely new. And it works a lot I'd say. The new Chozo uprising elements intrigue me, I wonder if it's a sequel hook for Metroid Prime 4 or there's something else out there.

As I recall it, when the final Chozo Memory image unlocks, the image tag changes from "10/10" to "2d/10", which after some digging around I finally found a video properly representing here (I think it switches to 11/11 if you return).  The "2d" would indicate that it's a hook for a future 2D Metroid project, therefore, rather than a 3D one.  Which is what you'd expect, really; Sakamoto doesn't seem to have the slightest interest in what's going on on the Metroid Prime front anyway.  I recall an interview a little while ago in which he pointedly avoided referring to Kensuke Tanabe by name.