Awoo.

Archie Sonic Hiatus Discussion

Big Panda

2 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

So...any point keeping hiatus talk and main talk separate now?

Can we keep it through the weekend at least to commiserate and in the off chance of a follow-up is announcement at Comic-Con?

@SonicComicFanboy Hey, man. If it makes you feel better, Sega may have been more or less forced into this by the legal issues and stuff. I don't want you potentially missing out on other aspects of the franchise just because this didn't turn out well.

Also, @doctorbenMD. It looks as though you may have been right all along. Not that I didn't believe you. I just wanted to keep the possibility open in my mind that your source could have been wrong or that things could change for the better before the other shoe finally fell. Hopefully you didn't take my position in any negative way.

This is all a bit sad, but I think most of us were prepared for it in some way. I hope for the best for everyone involved. You never know; good may still come out of this.

• Thumbs Up 5

My guess?

Folks at SEGA got sick of getting 1-up'ed by the Archie stories and they didn't want any content that went against their more simple and childish visions for Sonic.

Guess it's just a bunch of "Ho ho"s and  Baldy Nosehair from now on.

Even if/when we get SEGA's new comic series, it's going to be SEGA's way, and how does SEGA's way in terms of stories and tone always turn out?

• Thumbs Up 3

Reading those tweets of the artists and wrtiers is just heartbreaking, man. 

Damn.

At the very least we can see IDW picking the license of the comic up, hiring as much of the crew as possible and...idk. 

I'm just going to see where this goes. What's done has been done.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

Those posts are heartbreaking.  But yes hopefully the new publisher will be nice enough to put out the remaining unpublished Archie material.  If its Boom or IDW they probably would as they are cool like that but if its anybody else I dunno.  And I agree with Ty, I really wanted that Champions trade!

And yes SEGA owns the Freedom Fighters, but they also own Bean, Bark, Mighty, Ray, Honey, etc and plenty of other characters that actually appeared in games that have been all but abandoned.  Not exactly reassuring.

But yes if SEGA were smart they would let any upcoming publisher use the franchises entire 26 years worth of characters from every knook and crany.  Sadly SEGA hasn't been smart for a good 14 years or so now so until we get more news i'm not getting my hopes up.

Not to mention SEGA is not exactly thrilled to use their actual, main, really popular game characters in their own games and promos. When's the last time SEGA seriously cared about anyone not named Sonic, Eggman and Tails? And sometimes Knuckles but don't even let me get started on what the games have turned Knuckles into. The characters unless they're Sonic, are not allowed to do a damn thing or do anything that might take the spotlight away from Sonic or make him look bad. It's so freakin' frustrating. The comic is the last place where we got around to see the game characters do something

If SEGA doesn't care about their own characters, what makes anyone think they care about the Archie ones?

• Thumbs Up 5

@Zulon Eredas - kind of late their, friend. like 5 pages late.

I'm at a loss for words and even I expected it. soo much investment is gone now, in a way I wish I never started them but I'm glad I did.

Farewell Archie Sonic, thanks for the 25 years. I'm sure 40% of the fanbase is happy right now.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

@Borvac:  Meh, potentially losing the majority of characters you care about the most forever kind of sours the whole experience for me in general.

Plus as mentioned SEGA doesn't even treat most of the game chars with proper respect.  Call me when SEGA stops treating the franchise like a overglorified meme and cares/respects it as much as the fans do and when they let you play as Blaze in a game again. 

At least Boom treats its characters well. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm likely going to wait till comic-con's over before I assume the "sonic comics" are dead.

Otherwise expect my eulogy next week....

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

It's Sonic the flippin' Hedgehog. Plus, he was the longest-running licensed comic book character ever, so it's quite clear there's money to be made. I have little doubt someone will jump at the chance to pick up the rights to a comic series. ;)

well if the comics don't sell well i don't think many will jump at that chance

anyway i'd like to see an entirely new comic series on sonic. doubt it'll last long tho

All the shit about Forces, and now the comics are dead. My interest in Sonic in general has seriously tanked. I don't see myself sticking with the franchise much longer.

• Thumbs Up 2

This sucks, but in the end, I haven't exactly been on the Sonic train much, anymore. Aside from the comics, Sonic has been more or less dead to me.

Guess it's fully dead, now. Whatever.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

This sucks, but in the end, I haven't exactly been on the Sonic train much, anymore. Aside from the comics, Sonic has been more or less dead to me.

Guess it's fully dead, now. Whatever.

Goodbye!

'tis a shame you won't accept Forces simply because of the new villain, despite Eggman otherwise showing such strength...

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Miru the Living Planet said:

'tis a shame you won't accept Forces simply because of the new villain, despite Eggman otherwise showing such strength...

Depends entirely on how it's handled. I'm just not expecting it to go over well, given history.

For now, I can't accept Forces because it's not out, yet. That's like giving a lot of money on the promise they'll pay you back, with interest, despite the fact they've jipped you a number of times, before.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, WittyUsername said:

Depends entirely on how it's handled. I'm just not expecting it to go over well, given history.

For now, I can't accept Forces because it's not out, yet. That's like giving a lot of money on the promise they'll pay you back, with interest, despite the fact they've jipped you a number of times, before.

So if you don't like Forces, you'll finally move on? 

That's alright. I'll miss you a little, and maybe wonder if the series ever improves why you don't come back (like how Nicochi didn't come back despite Mania)

1 minute ago, Miru the Living Planet said:

So if you don't like Forces, you'll finally move on?

Debatable. Forces may show enough promise to keep me interested in the next title, if mildly. Lost World did that. There's many things I do like, but there's many more that I don't or am cautious about.

All the same, "not coming back" or whatnot, I never said I'd entirely leave any forums, I still plan to do my animations. I'd just have a lot less reason to post because, well, there's very little to interest me. Archie was that, the promising bits of Forces were those, too. I never said I'd leave in a drama-fueled angry post about my nerd-fantasies, but if you have seen my posting habits, lately, you'll notice my posts tend to have these random, very short lived activities every few months, at best.

Either way, this isn't about me, this is about Archie. If you want to discuss this with me, feel free to message me. I'll gladly explain my beliefs and interest.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'll miss the comics the only canon that fleshed out our characters and had a consistent focus on plot, not going to lie im worried about what this new direction their talking about is.

• Thumbs Up 5

Maybe it's getting all their ducks in a row towards the inevitable conclusion of the franchise as a whole...

Though since SEGA claims to have other ideas for another comic series in mind in the future, who knows? Though given SEGA's tastes, I'm expecting their comic to flop. If it wasn't for the Archie staff it would never have survived so long. Unless they plan to give comic rights to a new studio and let them do their own thing entirely then sure.

I don't really see any other comic creators putting up with SEGA's sh@$ as much as Archie did though. If they can't even give Sonic personality beyond the grinning and wisecracking aspect of the games I hear a collective f-you coming from whatever folks SEGA approaches.

• Thumbs Up 6

24 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

I don't really see any other comic creators putting up with SEGA's sh@$ as much as Archie did though. If they can't even give Sonic personality beyond the grinning and wisecracking aspect of the games I hear a collective f-you coming from whatever folks SEGA approaches.

I'm sure there are plenty of publishers that would want to take a crack at Sonic and they'd be working under the same limitations Archie was already under and they managed with Sonic's personality fine. I think it'll be dependent on how a writer for this hypothetical new book will approach it. Sure, SEGA is pretty controlling about Sonic's image, but at the very least it was never a detriment in Archie's book.

Not saying I'm happy about any of this, but I guess I feel you're going for the absolute worst case scenario.