Awoo.

Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back

AlphaRuby

25 minutes ago, mayday2592 said:

Is there any real reason to believe this game is as awful as the old ones? I haven't paid attention to this much since it's announcement trailer, but it looks ok from what I've seen.

I don't think it's a case of believing it's as awful as the originals. I mean to be fair to the series from what I understand, not having played them, Bubsy 3D is the only one that's truly awful in that it's a completely broken horrible experience. Bubsy 1 and 2 just reeked of being...bland. It was another mascot platformer in a sea of mascot platformers only with bad jokes and a grating voice. It doesn't help that arguably Gex would do what Bubsy attempted better with it's jokes and parodies of TV shows and genres.

From what I've seen from gameplay of this however, this just looks as bland, if not more so than the original Bubsy games. It doesn't look fun to play whatsoever. It just looks like a slow, boring platforming game with an unlikeable and annoying character. Sure, it's not broken, but there was a reason Bubsy died in the first place. 

On 10/26/2017 at 5:16 AM, mikeblastdude said:

New Halloween trailer released, featuring an uncomfortable cameo from a certain blue hedgehog we're all kind of familiar with.

Uh yeah, about that...

tumblr_oyeb23QMdG1r9xhpho1_1280.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 3

21 hours ago, SonicLegends said:

Looks like garbage to me.

Lol. He sounded more positive than his score implies. I'm guessing if the game is longer it could get a couple points higher, but that length hurts it badly. Even for a 2D platformer that short of a game is unthinkable, especially at a $30 price tag.

When I first heard about this game it seemed to come out of nowhere, like right before or after Crash N Sane Trilogy was released. Didn’t care for it then and don’t care for it now. Trailers make it look super generic and the reviews seem to be mediocre as well. I think this was only made for the Bubsy nostalgia.

I played Bubsy 3D when I was 8. I have no such nostalgia. 8(

20 minutes ago, Gabz Girl said:

When I first heard about this game it seemed to come out of nowhere, like right before or after Crash N Sane Trilogy was released. Didn’t care for it then and don’t care for it now. Trailers make it look super generic and the reviews seem to be mediocre as well. I think this was only made for the Bubsy nostalgia.

I played Bubsy 3D when I was 8. I have no such nostalgia. 8(

When the trailer came out, everyone was basically saying:

"Why does this exist?"

There is no Bubsy nostalgia. Bubsy was never really all that great or popular. He's more known for how awfully bad Bubsy 3D is than anything.

• Chuckle 1

5 hours ago, PaddyFancy said:

Sonic and Bubsy, as bad as each other.

The margin of quality is much larger than you think. This latest Bubsy game is like the Call of Duty tier,  checklist of performers. 

53 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Ace Joranvexeon said:

The margin of quality is much larger than you think. This latest Bubsy game is like the Call of Duty tier,  checklist of performers. 

OK I honestly don't know if that's meant to be a good thing or a bad thing considering how the internet likes to bash Call of Duty

1 hour ago, Dejimon11 said:

OK I honestly don't know if that's meant to be a good thing or a bad thing considering how the internet likes to bash Call of Duty

What I mean is that similar to Call of Duty regarding 3rd person shooters, Bubsy Strikes Back gets down the bare minimum of any platformer.

1 hour ago, PaddyFancy said:

Its funny the score they gave Bubsy, its not that much lower than the supposed gem Sonic Generations.

To be fair, different reviewers and different time periods. Doesn't change the fact that Gameinformer docked Generations' score for petty reasons, but I digress.

I'm guessing despite all the bash against it, the game would still somehow earn more than what it costs in the end. Goat Simulator was also advertised for being hot garbage, and a good number of people bought it for meme anyway. The game also seems to be built on extremely limited budget, so selling 30k or so will be enough for them, which is totally possible with some bumps from YouTube streamers.

55 minutes ago, Forte-Metallix said:

And there you have it, folks: Bubsy's still a heaping pile of shite. Let's hope he dies for good this time.

I blame those who memed him into the Avatar role when Sonic Forces had that early trailer XP.

So I guess we can say "Bubsy sucked back then and he sucks forever."

16 hours ago, Jovahexeon Ace Joranvexeon said:

What I mean is that similar to Call of Duty regarding 3rd person shooters, Bubsy Strikes Back gets down the bare minimum of any platformer.

To be fair, different reviewers and different time periods. Doesn't change the fact that Gameinformer docked Generations' score for petty reasons, but I digress.

Also don't forget that GameInformer gave Sonic Generations and Sonic 06 the same score (a 6.75).

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, there you have it. It’s as mediocre as it has ever been and will be.  

At least it’s not as bloody awful as Bubsy 3D though, right? That counts for something!

I can't help but feel this revival could have been handled way better. As it is it's just Giana Sisters with a Bubsy skin. For all the improvements they added to the gameplay, it just doesn't feel "Bubsy" enough. Where are all the great looking locations from the first game? What happened to the artstyle? Considering they're going back to basics and using the first game as inspiration for the revival, you'd think they'd at least put some effort behind it. It also doesn't help whoever runs the Bubsy Twitter account is really bad when it comes to actually talking about the game instead of trying to be Aaron Webber 2.0.

I still hope this game sells well enough to warrant another game. They've gone through all this effort to bring him back so might as well have him stick around. With a bit of luck maybe they'll get the hint out of how generic this game is and make the next one more faithful to the original game.

It sounds like the deveopers pretty much just made a generic platformer.  I feel like people would at least have had a little more respect for the effort if they'd made something genuinely abrasive.

Bubsy failed again, eh?

I can't tell if I'm surprised or not.

On one hand, I'm surprised they went through this effort to bring him back just to end up like this again, but on the other hand... it's Bubsy. What other outcome is there to be expected from him at this point?

Thank goodness Rob Paulsen wasn't dragged in again. That man's too good for the bobcat.

Bubsy having a metacritic score of 51. It's funny that Bubsy thought he had a shot and could actually make a jab at Sonic.

59fccc195ded3_LoggingunderHillarious.thumb.png.4e974523ba2ff216fda250962851a667.png

• Chuckle 7

13 minutes ago, SonicLegends said:

Bubsy having a metacritic score of 51. It's funny that Bubsy thought he had a shot and could actually make a jab at Sonic.

59fccc195ded3_LoggingunderHillarious.thumb.png.4e974523ba2ff216fda250962851a667.png

Better than Sonic 06 and Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric.

• Chuckle 2

41 minutes ago, PaddyFancy said:

Better than Sonic 06 and Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric.

Yes two rushed developed games that deserve their score where as we have no idea if the same applies to Bubsy here because if anything they only brought him back for making a quick buck off nostalgia if any seeing as how I hardly think he even has a fanbase. Those games are also longer and are in mainly 3D where as Bubsy's game here is fully 2D and very short at that to the point you can complete it in about an hour which leaves to while a not broken game like the two mention Sonic titles it's a very generic uninspired boring game. It's just funny that some people were going about comparing Bubsy's "revival" game with Forces.