Awoo.

Pokemon Ultra Sun and Moon announced for 3DS (November 17th)

Zippo

TPC have stated that US and UM will not come to the Switch. Of course they could show up under a different name... ;O

Pokemon Ultra Stars confirmed

6 minutes ago, Pawn said:
Damage control? They could have simply ignored it.

Well, think about it this way. If it isn't true, it'd be bad PR to make a mistake like this that gives people hopes that will ultimately be dashed. Adding onto that, this was something on their own press site, versus the "rumours" that have been going around for a while which as far as I know came out of thin air, so regardless of whether or not those ones turned out to be true of course they ignored it.

10 minutes ago, Celestia said:

Pokemon Ultra Stars confirmed

Well, think about it this way. If it isn't true, it'd be bad PR to make a mistake like this that gives people hopes that will ultimately be dashed. Adding onto that, this was something on their own press site, versus the "rumours" that have been going around for a while which as far as I know came out of thin air, so regardless of whether or not those ones turned out to be true of course they ignored it.

Oh, true enough. I'm just feeling pretty hopeful about Stars (or whatever it would be called) with everything that we've heard so far. Maybe I shouldn't, but I can live with being disappointed if it doesn't end up being a thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it's time to give up on Stars (which these games probably are anyway) or a Switch version for the moment.  Right now I'm more interested in what new features US/UM will have.  Sun and Moon were great, but the corollary of being such a radical shift to the formula is that there's a lot of room for improvement.  In addition to Necrozma's story involvement, I'm hoping the titles signify that we can expect the Ultra Beasts to be important before the postgame this time, and more Alolan Forms are a must.  Improved and more trials wouldn't hurt, either.  It'd be amazing if they rejigged the trial or even island order, but while there is precedent I don't realistically expect it.

Hey, I'm happy it's on the 3DS, I'm not getting a Switch this year and I don't want to be behind on my main Pokemon adventures. 

• Thumbs Up 4

It may be cause I was raised on older set but honestly besides being flash in a good way the sun and moon Pokemon ate some of the worse in my option.  arceus group was the best hopefully pokebank is open at the very start cause I'd rather avoid the new critters again

56 minutes ago, Tornado said:

What mint will they make on Switch versions that they won't make on the cheaper to produce recycling of game assets they already made that will nonetheless sell far more copies than the Switch actually has current capability to support?

Because by holiday, you'd think Nintendo would be able to cope with such demand?  At the end of the day, Nintendo wants to be keeping the Switch gravy train rolling and a Pokémon game (at least a cross platform Pokémon game) would do the job perfectly in selling systems.  I can get why the 3DS is still a viable option to release for, but I feel as though they could potentially have their cake and eat it too.

I said this in the status but overall this is stupid and a missed opportunity for the switch. buuuuut its probably the 3DS's last pokemon game so I'll tolerate it (Reading this thread reminded me of BW2 and how they got away with that).

also the title sounds like a SF2 meme addition to a title (SUPER ULTRA POKEMON SUN AND MOON TURBO HD REMIX & KNUCKLES!!).

Bet Sun and Moon buyers are (alittle) cheesed.

No, I don't think by holiday season Nintendo will be able to keep up with demand. Nintendo has done a perfectly good job operating functionally at capacity two months in with the Switch when 90% of the dozen games it has are full priced ports of Wii U games or games from 2009 with 300% markup

They will not be able to sell more Switches with a Pokemon game on them if they already probably won't physically be able to sell any more Switches when actual Switch-designed games come out. They will not be able to sell the 10 million plus copies a pair that they usually do per Pokemon release when there possibly won't be that many systems on the market to even match that number, nevermind attach rates versus raw hardware sales.

At the same time there are tens of millions of 3DS owners out there who are undoubtedly pretty anxious about how much life their system has and obviously haven't bought a Switch who already probably would have snapped this up even if the Switch wasn't such a threat to the 3DS' life. And as a bonus, Nintendo would barely have to spend any money on the things to develop them just like they never have with late system Pokemon releases, compared to actually putting unprecedented effort in with a Switch release.

Them dumping what will possibly be another cynical money grab release is Nintendo having their cake and eating it too. The y maximize their potential sales, minimize development costs, don't put undue stress on an already shaky Switch supply chain and leverage their 3DS user base. Just like every other time they did the same thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

From a business perspective, Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon being on the 3DS/2DS is to be expected.

From a consumer perspective I'm seething with outrage over not getting an HD main-line entry of Pokemon on my new PORTABLE home console.

I have my Switch, yet here I am stuck with Pokemon on a tiny @$$ screen with graphics that make my eye twitch from how outdated they seem.

Sun/Moon look BARELY above what the DS could handle if the old Mario 64 remake is anything to go by, with X/Y/ORAS even more-so capable of running on a DS in my eyes.

I'm not tech savvy in the least. I'm as dumb as they come when it comes to programming. But what I do know is that I'm sick of looking at new Pokemon titles that clearly look outdated.

Switch is here. Get to work.

Now, that bit of venom aside, these two Ultra titles are likely the last of what we're getting on the 3DS in terms of new Pokemon games. I have been going around and some have pointed out that Pokemon Inc. IS famous for stalling on supporting the latest and greatest thing, such as releasing more Pokemon on the original DS back when the 3DS first launched, so these Ultra titles are likely following the same pattern, and once the Switch is out there all the more, the next games will be on it.

Even if these did release on Switch, they'd look the same, but higher resolution and maybe better textures.

Oh yeah, didn't see these things coming. I don't know what to think of US/UM so far. I really liked S/M overall, but to be honest, at the same time I felt pretty burnt-out (on Pokémon) when I started playing Sun. I think I've played my fair share of Pokémon for now...well, after I've finished my HG and Platinum for once more. :P

You know, I have a feeling that Johto pokemon, might get some alolan forms now that Gold and Silver are getting VC releases. Makes me wonder what an Alolan Dunsparce will look like.

• Thumbs Up 2

38 minutes ago, Johnny Boy said:

You know, I have a feeling that Johto pokemon, might get some alolan forms now that Gold and Silver are getting VC releases. Makes me wonder what an Alolan Dunsparce will look like.

Or Alolan Shuckle.

Arceus knows he's been waiting for it:

• Thumbs Up 1

Big meh.

Didn't like Sun and Moon, X and Y or B2 and W2. I think I'm just exhausted on Pokémon. The metagame has never done it for me, and the main games have only changed and evolved in pretty superficial ways. But I'm in the vast minority here, so Pokémon is going to keep going strong. If it ain't broke...

There's been meltdowns and widespread anger all day long. I always tell people this: Don't ever, EVER, put stock in rumors from journalists. It's the surefire, easy way to be disappointed. Eurogamer can now be added to the list of unreliable sources, along with LKD, SMD, and 10K, among many, many others. 

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm so happy that Alola isn't get skipped yet, because I'm not ready to pack my bags just yet. (Plus, I'm really getting into the US S/M Dub.) 

tumblr_or5f9pKwkt1s2kalqo2_1280.jpgtumblr_or5f9pKwkt1s2kalqo1_1280.jpg

First off, the logos look awesome

tumblr_or4t5xBGuz1ttdkobo1_540.giftumblr_or4t5xBGuz1ttdkobo2_540.gif

....not sure how I feel about the Default Clothes on the Male Trainer...why do I need leggings under my shorts? At least the girl looks cute.

tumblr_or4uu5ibJn1si2noso1_540.png

They look like they would look better on a younger person, but since we can probably change it later I'm not worried. 

(Fanart by justinl-art)

Now, let's talk about the Legendaries.

necrozma.jpg

It seems Solgaleo and Lunala only get certain parts of Necrozma.

250px-792Lunala.png

tumblr_or5g55bgSO1s2kalqo1_400.pngtumblr_or5g55bgSO1s2kalqo4_540.png

Lunala seems to get its spikes, hands, and torso. I love the sky blue colors Lunala gets in this form and it looks beautiful when shown during the nighttime in the trailer.

250px-791Solgaleo.png

tumblr_or5g55bgSO1s2kalqo2_400.pngtumblr_or5g55bgSO1s2kalqo5_400.png

Meanwhile Solgaleo gets its hands as well as its head, feet, and fingers. I have seen people compare him to a Zoid.

I noticed the triangle symbol on their foreheads appears to be rainbow colored...

Does this mean Nebby will absolfuse with Necrozma at some point? Will the Aether Foundation get the other legend and we have to fight it with ours like in Black/White?

Also, what will their abilities be? Necrozma's ability is Prism Armor. Will that be their ability as well?

tumblr_or4vmpi3MY1szkwc6o1_540.jpgtumblr_or59nhMj2H1szkwc6o1_540.jpg

Sorry about people who are disappointed about D/P/PL remakes...we'll get them eventually

(Fanart by rainyazurehoodie)

• Thumbs Up 1

The more I think about it, the more I think there isn't going to be a new Pokemon game at all next year. We're only in the second year of Gen 7. Generations last 3-4 years and I'm sure they have no plans of cutting this one short.

Just like 2011 and 2015, I think after US and UM, they're taking next year off, and then in 2019, we'll finally get Generation 8 on the Switch. For example, we didn't get X/Y until two and a half years into the 3DS' life cycle. 

Why do I believe this? Because Game Freak has never switched from one system to another in a current or previous generation. They move to the next system when they're good and ready. And now we have confirmation today that they are certainly not ready. 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Johnny Boy said:

Rational prediction.  Part of me kind of wants Alolan Forms to remain Kanto-based simply because I think they didn't do enough in S/M and there are still more deserving Kanto Pokemon that can be adapted - but this is definitely a rational basis for arguing why Alolan Forms might be extended to a different generation.

4 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

tumblr_or4vmpi3MY1szkwc6o1_540.jpgtumblr_or59nhMj2H1szkwc6o1_540.jpg

Sorry about people who are disappointed about D/P/PL remakes...we'll get them eventually

(Fanart by rainyazurehoodie)

Meanwhile I chuckle bitterly at the thought that Platinum could possibly get any representation in Gen IV remakes, after ORAS ignored and indeed replaced Emerald...  In any case, there were never any grounds to expect Gen IV remakes so soon.  If you're looking for patterns with which to predict remake releases, which is dubious but literally the only possible grounds on which to judge right now, then the only consistent patterns are that they come once per console, never begin a console generation, and are spaced five years apart, so Eternity Diamond and Infinity Pearl wouldn't be likely before 2019 and a Switch Gen VIII anyway.

Honestly might not even bother with these. It's gonna ultimately depend on what they add to the originals that would make worth playing a second time, but this is the most I've ever not cared about a Pokemon game announcement in my life

So I'm gonna wait for more info on this game. Neat Lunala aside, there's not much to say yet.

For me to buy Ultra Sun/Moon these are the requirements.

Much less dialogue taking up my time. I was reading more than I was playing.

Much shorter intro portion to the game and much less guidance.

Pokemon FOLLOWING YOU IN THE OVER WORLD

Mini-Games brought back with your Pokemon, both the original three from X/Y and new ones.

Much greater variety of ribbons to collect for your Pokemon

More things to do with your Pokemon that DOESN'T INVOLVE FIGHTING AND NUTS

Basically...

I want a Pokemon game with a focus on what Pokemon is at its core and a MUCH stronger focus on "My Life With My Pokemon" basically that has nothing to do with fighting and feeding but rather playing games with them, having fun with them, and bonding in new ways. New contests to have with them and things like that.

If this is just another bare-boned "Read a million lines then fight and feed your Pokemon" game, f@$k that, I was already sucker punched by Sun and Moon.

Seriously, still fuming over how much they stripped away that X/Y and ORAS brought to the franchise and/or brought back.

(This isn't even including all the ways they ruined the online mechanics of the game through the cr@$y Festival Plaza mess)

Well, can't say I'm super hyped due to the lack of ANYTHING. But it's Pokemon, so I know the game should at least be good.

25 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Pokemon FOLLOWING YOU IN THE OVER WORLD

I'm gonna let ya know that's most likely not gonna happen. Yeah I know folks data mined sun/moon and saw running/walking unused animations for the Pokemon but considering how there's over 700 of the damn things and how the 3DS can barely run Sun/Moon as a whole with too much on screen it just seems like it's possible. 

Edit: It seems like it's impossible. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Dejimon11 said:

I'm gonna let ya know that's most likely not gonna happen. Yeah I know folks data mined sun/moon and saw running/walking unused animations for the Pokemon but considering how there's over 700 of the damn things and how the 3DS can barely run Sun/Moon as a whole with too much on screen it just seems like it's possible. 

I'm betting on the original 3DS and 2DS crashing from the Ultra games pretty frequently.

They barely ran the original Sun/Moon and with all the added details and stuff shown in the Ultra versions it's going to be a complete mess. They should have moved on and came back to Sun/Moon in a future gen remake like they did with ORAS instead of pushing more on a handheld that barely worked with the original titles as-is.