Awoo.

The General American Politics Thread

turbojet

Edit: The first line there was tongue-in-cheek. I am fully aware of Madison's excellence.

Political science major. I knew what you meant.

• 2 weeks later...

http://news.yahoo.com/romney-obama-going-wrong-direction-china-143716376.html

- Mitt Romney lashed out at what he called President Barack Obama's weak policy on China, criticizing it on Thursday for going in "precisely the wrong direction" and calling meetings this week with China's vice president "empty pomp and ceremony."

In an editorial in the Wall Street Journal, the Republican presidential candidate chided Obama for taking too long to address the Asian powerhouse and said he would change course if elected by preserving a military presence in the region and confronting human rights issues.

What does he hope to achieve by confronting China? It's not like the US can bully China any more. It'll just create tensions that nobody wants.

Pretty sure it is more "Obama needs to stop letting the country take it up the ass from them" than any genuine concern about China's nonexistent record about human rights or the environment.

Though since Romney obviously wouldn't actually do anything about it, it really just makes him look like a hypocritical idiot.

Edited by Gilda

Pretty sure it is more "Obama needs to stop letting the country take it up the ass from them" than any genuine concern about China's nonexistent record about human rights or the environment.

Though since Romney obviously wouldn't actually do anything about it, it really just makes him look like a hypocritical idiot.

Edited by turbojet
  • Thumbs Up 1

No. This is unconstitutional and it undermines the power of the Supreme Court. An act cannot supersede the powers of the court as demonstrated in the first landmark case of the Supreme Court and of this country, Marbury v. Madison. So if they want to reverse the decision of Roe v. Wade, they can either wait until the Supreme Court reverses the decision in a similar and subsequent case or pass an amendment(good fucking luck on this one).

Edited by Professor Westwood V

Republicans and the Personhood USA organization they are representing have already circumvented this decision with anti-abortion laws passed in closed doors in Virginia, and about to be passed in Oklahoma and Iowa. And it's not implausible to think they'll try to spread it to other states.

So unless this action calls on the 10th Amendment for grounds for its passing so that it can't be challenged by Roe v. Wade by claiming states's rights or something, or for some other legal reason, it looks like Roe V. Wade is being disregarded.

Edited by turbojet

No. This is unconstitutional and it undermines the power of the Supreme Court. An act cannot supersede the powers of the court as demonstrated in the first landmark case of the Supreme Court and of this country, Marbury v. Madison.
Edited by Gilda

Congress does this all the time. See all of the Democrat Senators who shit chickens and spent the next year putting together DISCLOSE in an attempt to make Citizens United vs. FEC meaningless by working around it.

Does anybody read the Constitution?

Of course not.

If they did that, then your Ted Stevens and your Harry Reids wouldn't be able to do whatever they wanted, at which point what's the point of being a Senator?

• 2 weeks later...

Poor Zach Braff, he's related to Mitt Romney. XD

https://twitter.com/#!/zachbraff/status/175207892918607872

r0RQ0.jpg

Also, the Michigan Republican Party changed the rules on delegate allocation to give Romney a narrow win. They're supposed to be awarded by congressional district, with 2 floating delegates assigned proportionately by the statewide vote. The vote was split 41-38, but the committee voted to give them both to R-money, making the final count 16-14 in his favour, instead of the 15-15 draw it should have been. Underhanded bastards!

Doesn't really make any difference. If the Democrats did it, sure; but it's a drop in the pan. And since Republicans seem absolutely giddy at the chance of tearing Romney down now, I don't see any conspiracy, if that is what you are implying (which I'm aware I might have misread).

Edited by Tornado

If this leads to a Brokered Convention, they might as well just not even bother with the election because primaries don't usually take this long which indicates that the conservatives hate all of the main candidates.

If this leads to a Brokered Convention, they might as well just not even bother with the election because primaries don't usually take this long which indicates that the conservatives hate all of the main candidates.

Well, they elected them, so they can't say it isn't their fault...

• Thumbs Up 2

I identify myself as a Libertarian Republican. I believe in socially liberal policies (gay marriage and marijuana legalization is fine, although I am a straight, non-drug using male) but fiscally conservative measures (small government.) I also think it's unfair how Republicans can be viewed as backward-thinking, christian extremist morons (although certain candidates are not helping the case.) I think too many far-left liberals are basing their judgement on conservatives off of the imbecile Rick Perry, which is just as bad as Red state hicks clamoring over Obama's certain failures. Unlike what some members are saying in this topic, both parties have distinguished and sophisticated candidates (although the G.O.P. is currently lacking), and neither party is less American than the other.

So Rick Santorum wants to 'unmarry' gays if he gets elected:

http://www.advocate...._Gay_Marriages/

Santorum

As defined by sex coulumnist Dan Savage, the mixture of lube and feces that is sometimes a side result of anal intercourse.

(From: Sen. Rick Sanctorum: R-Pensylvania)

Baby, we got santorum all over the sheets again....

What a fucking tool. Way to force your beliefs over everybody, directly contravening your own supposedly beloved constitution, Sanitorium... Please let sense prevail this fall.

I wouldn't worry about Santorum. Come super tuesday, or whatevert the fuck they call it, he's finished.

So Rick Santorum wants to 'unmarry' gays if he gets elected:

http://www.advocate...._Gay_Marriages/

Santorum

As defined by sex coulumnist Dan Savage, the mixture of lube and feces that is sometimes a side result of anal intercourse.

(From: Sen. Rick Sanctorum: R-Pensylvania)

Baby, we got santorum all over the sheets again....

What a fucking tool. Way to force your beliefs over everybody, directly contravening your own supposedly beloved constitution, Sanitorium... Please let sense prevail this fall.

Nothing new here. He's a religious nut, and he thinks that marriage isn't a right.

I'm not all that concerned by Santorum or his proposal. This man will never ever EVER be president of this country; and even if he was, there's 0 chance of ratifying a Constitutional amendment banning gay marriage. Conservatives can whine all they want, but the tide has turned. The majority of Americans now support gay marriage, and support is only going to increase.

I'm confident that one day in my lifetime, I'll be able to get married wherever I want in my country and there won't be a single fucking thing men like Rick Santorum can do about it.

• Thumbs Up 3

That picture of a homecoming soldier kissing his male partner hit the news over here, too. With the Don't Ask, Don't Tell rule finally buried with overwhelming American public support I'm thrilled to welcome the United States to the twenty-first century, with outdated relics like Santorum safely left behind.

• Thumbs Up 2

419388_10150649852157370_44746457369_9102957_446171882_n.jpg

I find this hilariously ironic.

Also, Santorum is visiting the major cities in my state today, according to the Facebook page. Seeing the Oklahoman support for his recent updates killed me inside.

That picture of a homecoming soldier kissing his male partner hit the news over here, too. With the Don't Ask, Don't Tell rule finally buried with overwhelming American public support I'm thrilled to welcome the United States to the twenty-first century, with outdated relics like Santorum safely left behind.

419388_10150649852157370_44746457369_9102957_446171882_n.jpg

I find this hilariously ironic.

Also, Santorum is visiting the major cities in my state today, according to the Facebook page. Seeing the Oklahoman support for his recent updates killed me inside.

Edited by Jay Rockman