Awoo.

The General American Politics Thread

turbojet

So basically, more gridlock, except from the Democrats this time?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Noelgilvie said:

For my part, I was just clarifying how it's possible for blacks to be insensitive towards issues facing blacks. I'm not saying anything about you personally.

I understand, I understand. I never really thought anything of it anyways.

25 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

So, Tornado said earlier that Congress would have an easier time impeaching Trump than Clinton if he screws up...how likely is that actually? My cynical side tells me that the GOP dominated Congress and conservatives against Trump would flip-flop on the bad things they've said, so I'm not sure if that would actually be the case unless it goes blue come 2018.

I assume that's in reference to how Trump wasn't the establishment choice, whereas Clinton was. The GOP would probably love an excuse to get rid of him, whereas the Democrats sank their electoral chances for the sake of having their darling Clinton.

1 minute ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

So basically, more gridlock, except from the Democrats this time?

Yep!

I can only hope the Democrats hamstring the GOP nice and hard, sinking Trump's Presidency. I honestly think Trump's election is largely a fluke and he won't do so hot in the re-election if the Democrats manage to make amends to the people they alienated this year.

I look forward to the GOP criticizing the Democrats' obstruction, when they're the ones who have set records on blocking a Supreme Court nomination.

• Thumbs Up 3

4 minutes ago, Ming Ming Hatsune said:

Trump and his supporters were right. The polls were rigged.

I'm pretty sure I've already said it's the electoral college that gets the last and only vote that matters

17 minutes ago, KHCast said:

The government are essentially the people as the people seem to support and back those things listed. Otherwise we wouldn't have those inequalities in full force to begin with 

The government hasn't been the people since Abe(Lincoln) got Assed(Assassinated btw). Now they are just a different group of people... People per say, but not in the context of things.

Another reason I say this is because the fact that the KKK still exist, but people now a days find the idea of hating someone for how they dress inhuman, what any less race?

Government for the people =/= Government of the people

17 minutes ago, KHCast said:

also, it's as illegal as job inequality for other minorities. What's new?

That's why I find the wage gap theory funny.

They say the reason jobs are so willing to accept illegal immigrants from Mexico or Cuba is because they don't complain about the conditions or expect much with pay. I think it's a bit of a stereotype, but I can't say for myself. I mean, my mother is legal and she's the most upbeat and hardest working woman I know. But she's also never complained or wasn't picky with pay, she'd just work more til she had enough.

7 minutes ago, Noelgilvie said:

I assume that's in reference to how Trump wasn't the establishment choice, whereas Clinton was. The GOP would probably love an excuse to get rid of him, whereas the Democrats sank their electoral chances for the sake of having their darling Clinton.

Now are we that confident the GOP would like to get rid of Trump despite them gaining the win? Seems more like they'd have an easier time using him to their advantage until re-election comes...or is that precisely why they'd rather get rid of him, to save their own seats after what just happened?

7 minutes ago, Noelgilvie said:

Yep!

I can only hope the Democrats hamstring the GOP nice and hard, sinking Trump's Presidency. I honestly think Trump's election is largely a fluke and he won't do so hot in the re-election if the Democrats manage to make amends to the people they alienated this year.

I look forward to the GOP criticizing the Democrats' obstruction, when they're the ones who have set records on blocking a Supreme Court nomination.

Well the Democrats don't really have a choice other than getting their shit right to make amends. This should be the kick in their ass to tell them to stop their bullshit.

Still worried about foreign affairs tho.

2 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Now are we that confident the GOP would like to get rid of Trump despite them gaining the win? Seems more like they'd have an easier time using him to their advantage until re-election comes...or is that precisely why they'd rather get rid of him, to save their own seats after what just happened?

Reagan first came to national prominence by almost unseating the incumbent President Gerald Ford, so, quite possibly. They'll work with him in the context of this election but unless he's stellar or the Democrats have an insanely good pick, I wouldn't be surprised if they jump ship as soon as an alternative is available. I wouldn't put it past them to use any scandal as grounds to withdraw all support; Trump ran on how awful Hillary's e-mails were, so he's in for a fun time if he so much as passes gas at a summit.

Hell. Maybe they'll pull Trump aside and convince him not to run again. It would seem incredibly humble of him and maybe bolster the Party's stature.

2 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Well the Democrats don't really have a choice other than getting their shit right to make amends. This should be the kick in their ass to tell them to stop their bullshit.

Still worried about foreign affairs tho.

Oh, no doubt. There's not much that can really be done there, barring Pence really having the power behind the throne and appointing a good Secretary of State.

The more Trump keeps his mouth shut, the better things will be. It all comes down to if he'll actually follow through on making Pence the effective President, though. He might just step into the Oval Office and decide he wants to legitimately run things.

In which case we're really screwed.

Wait, what the fuck is with this " 9/11 to 11/9 " fuckass shit people are spitting?

These social media junkies think up shit REAL fast.

Comparing 9/11 to Trump getting in the WH? Smh

3 minutes ago, WakanoBaka said:

These social media junkies think up shit REAL fast.

Comparing 9/11 to Trump getting in the WH? Smh

In fairness.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see an upsurge in radical Islam after this. Moderates can only take so much before they give up on us.

Some say that if one can be radicalized, they were never moderate, but that's narrowminded logic. Were the Founding Fathers radicals? Most of them were pretty open to working with Britain on a compromise, but as time went on it became apparent war was the only thing that was going to work.

• Thumbs Up 1

I got a better idea instead of 11/9.

How about "Brexit, the Sequel: The Colonies Strike Back"? 

3749340-2163868806-half-.png

• Thumbs Up 5

Damn...already we have diplomatic issues. And Trump hasn't even taken office yet!

2 minutes ago, Noelgilvie said:

In fairness.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see an upsurge in radical Islam after this. Moderates can only take so much before they give up on us.

Only a fucking fool would attempt an upsurge now. A bloody redneck is in the White House now and he's a business man . Not a good idea to piss him off. We've already seen what happens when you piss of a regular red neck in the White House...ironically;*cough*weapons of mass destruction*could* Apparently, you fuck with one American, you damn near opened up the entire can of worms.

To crack a joke, and you must forgive me; this guy WILL suplex you by the non literal, slightly proverbial vagina.

2 minutes ago, Noelgilvie said:

Some say that if one can be radicalized, they were never moderate, but that's narrowminded logic. Were the Founding Fathers radicals? Most of them were pretty open to working with Britain on a compromise, but as time went on it became apparent war was the only thing that was going to work.

No, I wouldn't say it's completely narrow minded, I'd compare it to doubt, doubt grows over time. Same could be said for radicalism.

1 minute ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Damn...already we have diplomatic issues. And Trump hasn't even taken office yet!

I'm legitimately wondering what Obama's going to do with his last 70 or so days in office.

Some are discussing him sending troops into Syria or somewhere else, so Trump has to clean up the mess. Really, causing a military incident is the most Obama can do, because everything else can just be undone by Trump by Executive Order.

#RIPAmerica

Really twitter? Is this what's good in the streets?

Anyways, I'm out! I got work, LA is like SJW breeding ground, hopefully I don't get attack by the people in my neighborhood who knows I don't hate Trump. Fuckdammit my car is still in the shop...

Whatever, wish me luck...

• Thumbs Up 1

On mobile so can't link.

Someone post the video entitled something like Michael Moore Trump will win election.

Then you understand 2 things.

1: Why this isn't just a Race thing.

2: How bad the Clinton campaign messed up.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Mayor D said:

On mobile so can't link.

Someone post the video entitled something like Michael Moore Trump will win election.

Then you understand 2 things.

1: Why this isn't just a Race thing.

2: How bad the Clinton campaign messed up.

I think this NeoGAF post decribes the situation very well:

https://twitter.com/sandkatt/status/796241599143493632

Remember I told you guys how angry some of my Trump friends were after Clinton basically called them racists, homophobs etc?

That in the end pretty much killed Clinton or at least one of the reasons that killed her. The disgust I saw on my friend's face when she heard that from Clinton.

I can't believe my state though changed the view of this election. And 4 of my friends actually did it. *sigh*

Basically what I've discussed whenever the issue's come up before.

We can all people racist in the privacy of our own conversations, but it's a word you just don't throw around when you're trying to become President or otherwise make a meaningful difference in policy.

A good chunk of people are emotional at best and stupid at worst. Play the political game with this in mind, and you can maximize gains and minimize losses.

One reason the GOP's policies do so well in gaining votes is they not only make one feel all warm and gushy inside as much as vindicating subconscious prejudices, they seem so logical on their surface. Colorblindness is a conservative policy in this day and age, but golly gee does it work wonders for them. The Democrats need to take a page. Identity politics clearly aren't sufficient enough to guarantee them victory in every race.

• Thumbs Up 4

Well, I feel very ashamed of my country right now. We had the choice between patience with Clinton and fear with Trump, and we chose fear.

I agree that this is partially due to Clinton messing up her campaign. She miscalculated just how badly the emails would affect her, and thus took the improper path of avoiding discussing them. Speaking of which, I don't think she spoke up enough, which allowed Trump to win the most news coverage overall as well as causing her not to get the final debate and discussion boost. She also failed to sell America a dream in the manner Trump did. Trump sold people on the dream of, well, making America great again and bringing back the ideals of old America. Granted, the dream Trump was proposing is highly unrealistic and unethical-- the manufacturing industry is highly unlikely not to bounce back to what it was before people starting outsourcing to China and other countries, coal is probably not coming back in style anytime soon, its essentially built off the backs of immigrants, people of color, and women who will now likely have opportunities taken away from them so that rich white men may prosper, etc. But it sounded compelling enough to people-- combined with his viewpoints being vague enough that people could project their own ideas onto them or dismiss them as empty promises and insignificant insults-- that they chose him. But I don't think the power of spiteful young people should be underestimated, as well as the power sexism through holding women politicians to standards the men don't have to worry about.

No really, if you were curious as to why a lot of Latinos and women voted Trump, a lot of them basically assume that Trump won't really do what he's said he'll do to them in regards to deportation and stripping of women's rights. Same goes for gay people like Milo Yiannopoulos who also backed Trump under the assumption that he wouldn't really succeed in removing the laws protecting gay rights or that they'd be protected or excepted somehow for backing Trump. Honestly, I hope they never have realize the human rights they put at risk of going on the chopping block with their votes, because that would mean that Trump has actually succeeded in putting his plans to remove them into action.

As for the idea of Democrat obstruction in the Senate, it could be a good way of preventing Trump from being reelected, as one of the things he sold himself on was being a guy to upend the system, whether Washington likes it or not. If he doesn't succeed in doing that, his supporters will certainly feel betrayed-- you know, if the flagrant human rights issues, long term economic damage, and long term foreign relations damage by him doesn't do that first. But at the same time, Democrat obstruction can only go so far with a pushy guy like Trump (who might abuse the executive orders anyway) and it might be hard for Democrats to pick up more votes if areas like North Carolina, spurred by a Trump victory, decide to reconsider laws designed to strip people of color and likely Democrat voters of their right to vote. Though at the same time, a law is only as good as the people's willingness to go along with it, so if people actively rebel against Trump's laws, they might also be able to successfully combat them.

But overall, I am extremely disappointed. On a personal level, we just elected a serial sex offender into office, who will surely abuse his position of power to get more victims. That disgusts me. I'm also worried about science-- I'm learning how to be a biologist, and with the religious right emboldened, I fear I will not be able to take advantage of stuff fundamental to modern biology like stem cells for research. I want to fight back, if Trump manages to get some of these things to pass, but I can only do so much. I suppose, as a well-connected and white person from an affluent family, I could work some of my privileges and connections to help others, but I think that will only take me so far not to mention that my status as a young woman means that people might not take me seriously enough. Not to mention there's a certain level of hypocrisy in using class and race privilege to fight class and race privilege.

I'm considering becoming a politician instead of a scientist at this point, or otherwise being more politically involved in the future. Something needs to be done about the selfishness and pettiness pervading America and American politics, and to break up the cultism inherent to the Republican Party.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Noelgilvie said:

Hispanic and from Texas?

In light of the growing Hispanic population (we should have millions more Hispanic voters in 2020) and their state of origin, they actually sound like pretty good choices. They sound relatively moderate and left leaning so I'd say they're certainly viable from a political standpoint as well.

...I assume there will be a ton of El Presidente jokes given their last names, though. :P

Hispanic/minority appeal? Check!
Young and vital? Check!
Charismatic? Check! ... I think?
Warren/Sanders camp appeal? Check!
No scandals? Check! (For now!)
Hails from a big red state turning increasingly purple via demographic change? Check!

I don't know who will be the 2020 nominee, I mean they may not even want to run, or there may be even better candidates just over the horizon... but they really do look like by far the best choices, moving forward.

• Thumbs Up 2

And to think...Hilary's entire career of politics and credentials doesn't mean a goddamn thing in the face of hypocrisy.