Awoo.

Is Live Action the Ultimate Goal of Media (according to a mainstream audience)?

Tara

Late response, I know. I've been busy.

On 9/7/2016 at 3:58 AM, Tara said:

I don't think anyone ever suggested that live action was strictly for adults, as it's been suggested by myself and others that live action is seen as having a more broad appeal from children to adults and anything in between, and of course, it's not like I'm suggesting that Sesame Street is seen as a more mature show, regardless of its style.  It's that cartoons, unfortunately, are more stigmatized, and while I reiterate that I think the animation age ghetto has a lot to do with that, I think factors aside from age do impede on this as well.

But that's basically what I'm implying. People treat live action as "adult" while animation is "kiddy" to the point of completely disregarding any mature themes animated works have explored - conversely, they ignore that live action can be just as "kiddy" as animation, hence the Sesame Street example.

And given the themes works like Zootopia and Inside Out have explored over racism/bigotry and emotional health respectively, I'm starting to thing that the animation age ghetto is less of an excuse and that it's more absolute snobbery by those who hold live action to a greater standard. If you could have a live action work explore those same themes and not be seen as kiddy, that just goes to show how jacked up people's black-and-white perceptions are - I'd like to think people know better, and are only saying such to inflate their egos.

• Thumbs Up 1