Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

1 hour ago, FFWF said:

To be honest, I'm hoping that not all the Mania zones will be revealed before release, and that might line up with there being no new footage to come for a while.  It's nice to have a few surprises.

I agree, but I think it's unlikely. We have the choice of not looking for information until release, though.

I sorta have a theory with a new Zone in Mania. Y'all know that one scrapped stage in Sonic CD? (The desert stage). I think we may see that zone in Sonic Mania when it's released.

5 hours ago, FFWF said:

To be honest, I'm hoping that not all the Mania zones will be revealed before release, and that might line up with there being no new footage to come for a while.  It's nice to have a few surprises.

This.

They don't have to reveal every zone like they did with Sonic 4. Mania has a lot more stages, so I'd imagine they'll tease just a few more up to release. I think we'll get some new footage just before Christmas. In the next gameplay trailer I'd like them to show-off a bit of Tails & Knuckles gameplay and maybe one of the other reimagined zones.

Ever since Iizuka's reveal that there's more remade stages, I'm actually more interested in seeing how the reimagined zones look than the new zones.

2 hours ago, Ghast06 said:

I sorta have a theory with a new Zone in Mania. Y'all know that one scrapped stage in Sonic CD? (The desert stage). I think we may see that zone in Sonic Mania when it's released.

If you are referring to Desert Dazzle the cancelled stage from the 2011 remaster, then I totally agree.

Of course there's also the cancelled "R2" ruins themed stage from the original version of CD.  Maybe they could come with a Desert/Ruins hybrid? Would be a pretty cool way to pay tribute to CD's cancelled stages.

• Thumbs Up 4

Sonic CD's stages will take quite a bit of "reimagining" to get around the almost definite absence of a time-travel mechanic.  Crafting an entirely new CD-style level where they can approach the problem however they want might be the way to go - though it would not strictly speaking be a Sonic CD level, so for a returning stage, it's unlikely.  Of course... if the plot is literally taking Sonic to the Little Planet, why might he not stay there for two zones?  Why should there not be a zone on the Little Planet that we haven't seen before?

• Thumbs Up 2

Words from Stealth in Sonic Retro's Forum telling us again not to worry about the level ratio thing:

Also, knowing what I do about the state of Mania's level roster makes the general reaction to the ratio seem pretty ironic in a way. I think everyone has the best interest of this project in mind, and had you the knowledge we did, you'd find much of your worries less justified. I see where you're coming from, though

• Thumbs Up 4

For the first time like in ever, I want to play a Sonic game blind. I've spoiled Gens, and I regret, eventhought the trailers were really exciting. But damn, is it gonna be HARD to avoid this...

Also, can I ask something? In name of other members too: if they reveal a new level (new or classic) could the OP not mention its name in the topic's tittle, please? Like: SONIC MANIA - HIDROCITY REVEALED!!!, things along this lines. Thank you ?

1 hour ago, Ajavalo said:

Stealth: Also, knowing what I do about the state of Mania's level roster makes the general reaction to the ratio seem pretty ironic in a way. I think everyone has the best interest of this project in mind, and had you the knowledge we did, you'd find much of your worries less justified. I see where you're coming from, though

Based on what Stealth & Taxman have been saying, Mania is going to be a ...............fucking massive game and all the reimagined stages (aside from GH) are gonna look so unique they've feel like brand new zones.

Yeah, lets go with this...

Image result for no need to worry futurama

2 hours ago, FFWF said:

Sonic CD's stages will take quite a bit of "reimagining" to get around the almost definite absence of a time-travel mechanic.  Crafting an entirely new CD-style level where they can approach the problem however they want might be the way to go - though it would not strictly speaking be a Sonic CD level, so for a returning stage, it's unlikely.  Of course... if the plot is literally taking Sonic to the Little Planet, why might he not stay there for two zones?  Why should there not be a zone on the Little Planet that we haven't seen before?

For me Studiopolis almost feels like a perfect reimagined version of a Sonic CD stage, in it's music, visual and complex level design and layout.

• Thumbs Up 1

Much as I like learning new things about games, I'd be happy to just hear about one or two levels in Sonic Mania and let the rest of the game surprise me. I trust TaxStealth enough to believe that any surprises they throw our way are going to be good ones-- they've been really good with easter eggs like Hidden Palace Zone and fangames, now imagine them with free rein to reimagine and create any level they desire with the budget and resources of a professionally made game.

I doubt that Green Hill and Studiopolis are the only levels that will be shown off though. We'll probably see more as the game nears release and more levels are finalized. For now, Sega's probably just giving us a little taste of what the game has to offer.

• Thumbs Up 1

Anyway, in terms of level reveals I'm divided; part of me wants to know more, sooner (because making that Mania manual was fun and I'm at a progress-wall until more levels get revealed), but ignoring that it'd definitely be better to leave surprises after Generations' leak. It's also why I don't mind the lack of online demo, given the risk of something similar to the Generations leak happening again. 

Edited by Diz
  • Thumbs Up 3

If they decide to use Sonic CD levels the one I'd like to see most would be Tidal Tempest zone. I just really liked the US music in that zone and seeing all the ruins. But I think Hydrocity would probably be a much better fit for underwater city.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

For the love of beans drop a trailer or something, Sega please

Come on we've lasted 2 years without any information for an upcoming sonic game the wait for the next trailer is nothing compared to this. 

• Thumbs Up 7

So, anyone wanna take a guess of how the Special Stages are gonna be like?

I'm hoping that they're something new. I really don't want another half-pipe special stage.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, YoshiParty said:

I'm hoping that they're something new. I really don't want another half-pipe special stage.

I feel the same tbh.

I'd really like the CD special stages to return! Those ones were the best! :D

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, YoshiParty said:

Well, if they're rehashing anything, it had better be Blue Spheres. (There's a bit of hope for that, since Special Stages will be accessed the same way as in 3&K)

But I'd much rather we get something new.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, YoshiParty said:

Agreed, although honestly, I can only see them return to that. But if they absolutely HAVE to reuse a special stage...I wouldn't mind seeing the Knuckles Chaotix kind of Special Stage return, those were REALLY cool. But alas, Sega seems to have an uncomfortable lust for the half pipe.

• Thumbs Up 6

17 minutes ago, SonicEkkusu said:

I feel the same tbh.

I'd really like the CD special stages to return! Those ones were the best! :D

Yeah, if they have to rehash a special stage, I would like it to be CD's special stages. They were the only ones I was able to tolerate in the Classic games.

25 minutes ago, YoshiParty said:

I want my spheres back. The Sonic 3 & Knuckles special stages have never gotten old for me. They required quick, practical thinking, and, in my opinion, were much more satisfying to complete ( I feel like this can be attributed to their puzzle-like design). Also, the difficulty curve as you progressed was just right. That's not to guarantee that it would be were the stages to return, however.

Bury the half pipe in the dirt.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think I'd rather something brand new...

or maybe something similar to how Sonic 3 & Knuckles re-used the mechanics of the Sonic 1 Special Stage as a bonus stage; so put some of the old special stages in as bonus levels apart from the traditional Special Stage?

• Thumbs Up 1

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked

So, back to the subject of special stages, I'm really hoping they've cooked up something new. I'm actually not a big fan of a lot of the special stages we've seen throughout the years; I was never any good at Sonic 1's, blue sphere bores me, CD's is annoying about judging depth, etc. I have usually enjoyed the half pipe styled stages, but I think we've seen enough variants of it for a good while. Plus, even considering the remade levels, this is the first real classic Sonic game since 3&K (or Chaotix, if you want to count it), and I think it should do as much as it can to stand as a new game and not just copy what previous ones have done.

• Thumbs Up 9