Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

2 minutes ago, Tails spin said:

I won't trust Iizuka's word as a whole truth. If I remember correctly Classic Sonic was said to appear in Generations and that would be it. now we have Classic Sonic in two more games.

Which is why I said I'm not holding my breath until we see how successful Mania is. Everything is subject to change but it's still interesting to get the head of Sonic Team's perspective on something regarding Sonic Mania. 

3 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

That's not quite what he said. Furthermore... it was 6 years ago.

Not to mention it wasn't him that said it. It was someone that no longer works at SEGA.

9 minutes ago, Maxtiis said:

Did Iizuka actually say something about a classic line of games? If so that's kind of telling, but I'm not holding my breath until we see how successful Mania is.

Yeah, to be honest the translator's phrasing didn't ACTUALLY include an "if" but I added that in because if we took it at face value that more classic games are definitely coming the community would go haywire.  (But it is a pretty safe bet if Mania performs well right?)

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, JezMM said:

Yeah, to be honest the translator's phrasing didn't ACTUALLY include an "if" but I added that in because if we took it at face value that more classic games are definitely coming the community would go haywire.  But to be honest it is a pretty safe bet if Mania performs well right?  Like I don't think anyone would go crazy but we'd all be pleased if they said "yeah we'll make another of these".

With all the positive reception it's received, it seems kind of crazy to think Mania would be one and done. There's other franchises that have two games that are released concurrently that play somewhat differently and remain highly successful.

And since Sega seems to have decided that making an underdeveloped handheld equivalent to Sonic Forces wasn't a good idea, having a new sub-series starting with Mania would function much better as a replacement to those. 

Look I'm not even that big a fan of the classics and I'm SUPER excited for Mania.

Not as excited as I am for Forces, but still very excited.

I don't think nostalgia is the only reason people are hyped!

• Thumbs Up 3

So a little story. I have a cousin, and one of the first games I ever played in my life was Sonic 1 on her genesis. I remember getting stuck at labrynth act 3 haha. None of us could beat it!

Anyways, since then she has fell of the series, but I showed her Mania, and she is beyond excited. She rarely gets excited for games too, besides Mario Kart.

Now, I'd be really glad that Mania starts a new classic branch, but before Sonic Mania, who would prefer a S3&K remaster? :P

EDIT: lol, so many posts were written while I was replying xD 

What a twist!

Anyway:

2 hours ago, Psychicmoose103 said:

Also, is there anything else you guys would like to see spoiler before the release? I wouldn't mind seeing...

Flying Battery Act 1 Gameplay

Green Hill Act 2 Boss

and maybe a screenshot of the teased new zone. If there are only 5-6 new zones, I wouldn't want to see it, as we a

ready know 2/5-6 new zones.

Good question. I could go for one more new zone, and maybe one or two more Classic zones. But yeah, your point about the new zones being revealed is fair too, so who knows.

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, molul said:

Now, I'd be really glad that Mania starts a new classic branch, but before Sonic Mania, who would prefer a S3&K remaster? :P

EDIT: lol, so many posts were written while I was replying xD 

I would have liked a 3&K remaster, but with levels from these games being reborn in Mania, it seems kind of un-nessacary. But they have different level design, graphics, and a different plot, so I wouldn't mind it!

Phew, I don't know... Just for the widescreen, 60fps and being able to play it on consoles, PC and mobile devices, it would be really cool. 

1 minute ago, molul said:

Phew, I don't know... Just for the widescreen, 60fps and being able to play it on consoles, PC and mobile devices, it would be really cool. 

Yeah, now that I think about it, it really would be. If they do, they should do it before they make another brand new classic sonic game, if they are going to when Mania sells well (because we know it will)

I like Sonic Mania, I haven't played it yet but if it plays just like the perfect Sonic 3&K. I have no doubt it's gonna be a good game.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Guys, I know I'm a legend. You don't have to remind me. Just focus your time on trying to be as cool as me, k?

Moving swiftly on, I want to say something about the reveals from the other night. First up, Flying Battery is an awesome choice. I'm a wee bit disappointed that the art doesn't look like it's been touched up as much as Green Hill, but the background is really lush. Act 2 should be exciting if they continue the trend that Green Hill has started. And the fact that this game now been delayed has only really made me more confident that it's going to be great. As if it wasn't already obvious, it's being held back just so that it's as perfect as it can be. Good going, SEGA and Mania Team.

Yeah, I'm loving that they added clouds to the backgrounds for the areas outside the ship. It's so jarring going back to the original and seeing just a blank blue sky.

20170317_011603_thumb.png

Considering the original looked so good already, I'm willing to cut them some slack in the visual department and since they showed off that new magnet mechanic with the electric shield, there's probably way more of the level we've yet to see. I imagine act 2 is going to be something else entirely if Green Hill Act 2 is anything to go by.

• Thumbs Up 1

So since I'm a bit late to the fun, I'll go ahead and add my thoughts on it.

While I do love Flying Battery, I'm admittedly a little bit disapointed that it looks too much like the original. Not that I have a problem with that, (It does look gorgeous.) but I wished they took a bit more liberties with it.

Like imagine something like this, a destroyed looking Flying battery that's barely flying with a dark ominous thunderstorm in the background. With a look that's more similer to the beta version of Flying Battery rather then the final version.

Now that would be a badass reimagining in my opinion. But hey Flying Battery still looks damn good and I can't wait to play it, and I'm definitely intrigued about what the teaser image is teasing.

Also Tee Lopes' flying battery remix is awesome like usual.

15 minutes ago, BlueBlur91 said:

While I do love Flying Battery, I'm admittedly a little bit disapointed that it looks too much like the original. Not that I have a problem with that, (It does look gorgeous.) but I wished they took a bit more liberties with it.

Like imagine something like this, a destroyed looking Flying battery that's barely flying with a dark ominous thunderstorm in the background. With a look that's more similer to the beta version of Flying Battery rather then the final version.

Now that would be a badass reimagining in my opinion. But hey Flying Battery still looks damn good and I can't wait to play it, and I'm definitely intrigued about what the teaser image is teasing.

Also Tee Lopes' flying battery remix is awesome like usual.

What if, after the act 1 boss, the sky becomes dark and a storm starts? I would love that, and they could put lightning gimmicks in the stage!

• Thumbs Up 6

11 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Speaking of which, you know how the GHZ1 boss is a remix of the original GHZ boss? Well, Flying Battery 1's boss had better be the goal post.

That would be awesome! Haha

So, we know the miniboss music (probably the returning stage mini-boss theme) And we know Eggman will have his own theme, but would you guys like it if the Hard-boiled Heavies had their own theme? Or better yet, each one had their own theme? The mini boss theme we have does not really fit a speeding race down a highway with a Rocket-launcher wielding egg-robo-cop chasing Sonic in a helicopter with a bunch of support egg-robos.

Oh yeah, I found an article, that states this "The first of these, "Heavy Gunner" will appear at the end of the Hollywood-inspired Studiopolis Act 1, and is a large, decorated robot who can take to the sky with his helicopter. Heavy Gunner is armed with a powerful rocket launcher that he uses to discourage "speeding". (Sources from Studiopolis Confirm this method is, generally, highly effective.)" This makes me think that this boss will be pretty tough.

• Thumbs Up 2

I can kind of appreciate them not wanting to change up the original colour scheme of the level by avoiding changing the weather or time of day, although Act 2 definitely feels like acceptable/fertile ground for that sort of thing.

• Thumbs Up 7

1 hour ago, BlueBlur91 said:

I do think it would somehow make sense that Eggman has simply utilized the schematics/blueprints for this massive vehicle and didn't completely alter them, either due to time constraints, and of course expecting that the craft would be boarded by at least Sonic if not others, to lure them into a false sense of security to keep some parts deceptively unchanged.   

( I hadn't fully thought about it before, but, the Flying Battery in Knuckles' storyline in S3K is already a second version. 

:blink::o 

Of course part of that was to allow him to access most of the same zones ready to play on the cartridge, but taken literally, it is also true to the story being told, that Eggman attempted a second significant overtaking of the Floating Island and rebuilt all of the same machines, perhaps based on Knuckles not being familiar with most of them.

It is never clear how much time has passed between the two stories other than that, again more due to cartridge data, the forest has already regrown.)

I agree with many people on this page in wondering about Act 2, if it will include weather, would it be a lightning storm, could it be a snow storm?  Could it crash into the ocean but slowly enough that it doesn't fall apart?

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

Speaking of which, you know how the GHZ1 boss is a remix of the original GHZ boss? Well, Flying Battery 1's boss had better be the goal post.

You have to keep it from touching the ground long enough otherwise it'll wreck your shit. Since they turned this into an entire mission in Generations I don't see why not.

• Thumbs Up 1

Like Blue Blood I also would like to give my two cents on the Flying Battery choice.

I think it's the perfect level to pick from Sonic & Knuckles. My favorite level from that game is Lava Reef, but I think part of what makes it so memorable, isn't the level per se, but how important to the plot it actually is.

sk-lrz-boss2img2.pngsk-lrz-appearanceimg2.png

The Death Egg, constantly looking at you from above, as you get deeper and deeper into the volcano. It's unsettle. And of course, when you finally beat Eggman and the whole place cools down leading you to the misterious Hidden Palace. You truly feel like you're deep into the planets' most inhospitable place.

Also, Mushroom Hill was in Gens 3DS, Sky Sanctuary in Gens HD and the spot for desert zone is already taken, so no Sandopolis. And unless the Death Egg is back into business, it wouldn't make sense to re-imagined it, unless they really give it a twist, like the idea of a "Dead Egg".

Flying Baterry is a pretty great level, it has nice gimmicks and aesthetics and it also isn't too hard (I imagine the classic zones will be early in the game rather than later).

Also the music rocks. So yeah, good choice Mania Team. I wonder if Sonic and co. you get inside it this way again:

sk-mhz-point9img1.png

• Thumbs Up 9

12 minutes ago, Jango said:

Like Blue Blood I also would like to give my two cents on the Flying Battery choice.

I think it's the perfect level to pick from Sonic & Knuckles. My favorite level from that game is Lava Reef, but I think part of what makes it so memorable, isn't the level per se, but how important to the plot it actually is.

sk-lrz-boss2img2.pngsk-lrz-appearanceimg2.png

The Death Egg, constantly looking at you from above, as you get deeper and deeper into the volcano. It's unsettle. And of course, when you finally beat Eggman and the whole place cools down leading you to the misterious Hidden Palace. You truly feel like you're deep into the planets' most inhospitable place.

Also, Mushroom Hill was in Gens 3DS, Sky Sanctuary in Gens HD and the spot for desert zone is already taken, so no Sandopolis. And unless the Death Egg is back into business, it wouldn't make sense to re-imagined it, unless they really give it a twist, like the idea of a "Dead Egg".

Flying Baterry is a pretty great level, it has nice gimmicks and aesthetics and it also isn't too hard (I imagine the classic zones will be early in the game rather than later).

Also the music rocks. So yeah, good choice Mania Team. I wonder if Sonic and co. you get inside it this way again:

sk-mhz-point9img1.png

I feel like there will probably be 2 levels from each game, except maybe CD, so Lava Reef is still a possibility. I'd be fine with Lava Reef or Dead Egg, to be honest.

Another thing that makes this zone so awesome is how you first see it in Angel Island Act 2 when it bombs you. I'm pretty sure it was confirmed that this was it. It turns of the music, it definitely is awesome, one of my favorite tracks from Sonic 3&K, along with every other track in the game. Now that I think about it, 3&K has my favorite video game soundtrack ever.