Awoo.

Confirmed: Iizuka is at Sega of America "Rumour: Overseeing Multiple Sonic Games/SOA to be Sonic Hub"

Badnik Mechanic

3 hours ago, Wraith said:

You could just as easily argue(and you probably have before) that Sonic has more of a western influence now than an eastern one, since the games are now written more like third rate children's comedy shows instead of the third rate children's shonen anime that was it's inspiration in it's heyday. The tone shift has nothing to do with any east vs west nonsense because there are works varying in tone on both sides. 

Script wise I prefer the Japanese take obviously, but when it comes to the design of the games the west is definitely my preference, as with BOOM, and a western target, as the Genesis games.

Plot wise the Japanese are superior, but design wise the west wins. I've brought up my realistic preference with a touch of fantasy many times, so I needn't bring that ingredient into this stew of conversation again. lol

• Thumbs Up 1

I really doubt that this "hub" being moved to LA is going to result in any sort of change regarding the series' current direction. There hasn't been a big enough backlash against the current tone (aside from a vocal minority) to justify a noticeable change anyway.

If anything I'd say this is just another step Sega has taken in an attempt to centralize a consistent level of quality across the brand.

So, does this mean anything, really? Aside from, probably, more marketing from the West?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, WittyUsername 2: Revenge said:

So, does this mean anything, really? Aside from, probably, more marketing from the West?

Nobody knows really, asides the reveal will be swamped in memes, jokes, and who knows what kind of attempts to avoid an actual answer on Webbers part.

Kind of pity him during moments like this. Others revealing these things just makes it all that much harder on him when everyone badgers him for information.

Iizuka: So ya'll thought I was playing, We are going to get shadow in sonic boom right, or more of you all going into the dungeon. Ya'll can't run now

Seriously I am very interested in what this means

For what it's worth, while Dr. Cupcakes does have some sources, he's quite often full of shit.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Marcello said:

For what it's worth, while Dr. Cupcakes does have some sources, he's quite often full of shit.

Since when? I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't pay a hell of a lot of attention, but I've never noticed him be "full of shit" as you put it.

And, like, it's not like what he's saying is entirely baseless. I mean, we have the lead of Sonic Team over here to ostensibly oversee the development of a Sonic game(s).

Honestly though, I do hope this leads to more of Bro-zuka. Because seeing him interact with the fans was pretty legit.

Off the top of my head,, the Shovel Knight in Smash rumor, the Star Fox Zero delay and him talking about Tanabe having a problematic relationship with Retro and was being replaced by Sakamoto as overseer which a guy on Gaf with knowledge of Nintendo stuff like that said is most likely also bogus.

And don't say he said "might" :V

I refuse to allow our primary source of news to be someone by the name "Dr. Cupcakes." >:[

...in all honesty I'll be skeptical, though it wouldn't surprise me if it was true. I mean, a part of me ponders if the reason Japan's been pushing all these concerts and parties is to try and strengthen the brand over there, when it's the West that is the heart otherwise.

I wouldn't be surprised if Aaron is going to have Iizuka participate in some joke announcement, and then they talk actual business behind closed doors.

• Thumbs Up 2

We'll goodbye characters having their own distinct separate personalities hello again boring ass super power of team work characterization. Yeah everything everyone else thinks about Pontac and Graff I feel about Iizuka.

3 hours ago, SBR2 said:

We'll goodbye characters having their own distinct separate personalities hello again boring ass super power of team work characterization. Yeah everything everyone else thinks about Pontac and Graff I feel about Iizuka.

...Say what now...?

Iizuka never quit being in charge of games, his styles just changed...

I think that was unnecessary...

11 hours ago, WittyUsername 2: Revenge said:

The bad: Archie gets shut down or fully pontaffized, BRB is brought back, possible TTG approach to things with Izuka attacking fans outright.

The Good: Maybe for once Izuka will finally fucking listen, they could fucking get the fucking Ken fucking Penders case off the fucking quagmire it's in, or even ally with him so they would fucking obtain all of the fucking Archie, Fleetway, etc characters, or some cool SOA based content.

That's good news, seems like they started planning something! Finally, after such a long wait! Everything what's related to Iizuka is good, he assisted (actually, he mostly directed) most of the Sonic games, so that means he will have a great impact on the future development of Sonic, I hope! Good luck to all of you at SEGA! :)

43 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

...Say what now...?

Iizuka never quit being in charge of games, his styles just changed...

I think that was unnecessary...

Ah, my bad I thought they way people were reacting that this was someone else. All I know is he wrote the Adventure Games and...yeah those plots haven't aged well in the slightest if you ask me. Plus again as much as people complain about Pontac and Graff at least they actually realized Sonic's supposed to have an snarky attitude and not just be some bland void goody goody.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Marcello said:

Off the top of my head,, the Shovel Knight in Smash rumor, the Star Fox Zero delay and him talking about Tanabe having a problematic relationship with Retro and was being replaced by Sakamoto as overseer which a guy on Gaf with knowledge of Nintendo stuff like that said is most likely also bogus.

And don't say he said "might" :V

Tanabe having a problematic relationship with Retro I could buy, but being replaced by Sakamoto? rofl, Sakamoto is 10 times worse. The best thing for Retro is to not have an overseer, they're just fine on their own.

Before I forget, he also said that Nintendo of America would no longer publish Devil's Third.

Dr. Cupcakes/Liam/Tamaki is wrong more often than he is right about upcoming info. When it comes to digging up cancelled projects from the past, though, he's fine (he's a major Unseen 64 contributor).

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Ah, my bad I thought they way people were reacting that this was someone else. All I know is he wrote the Adventure Games and...yeah those plots haven't aged well in the slightest if you ask me. Plus again as much as people complain about Pontac and Graff at least they actually realized Sonic's supposed to have an snarky attitude and not just be some bland void goody goody.

No worries, although I do like to see thoughts that don't involve the "hasn't aged well" copy/pasted thought, it gives far too many the vibe of being hive minded rather than unique in their opinions. Even if you feel similarly, you don't have to word your thoughts exactly the same.

16 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

Script wise I prefer the Japanese take obviously, but when it comes to the design of the games the west is definitely my preference, as with BOOM, and a western target, as the Genesis games.

Plot wise the Japanese are superior, but design wise the west wins. I've brought up my realistic preference with a touch of fantasy many times, so I needn't bring that ingredient into this stew of conversation again. lol

Sonic in the Black Knight, 06, SA2, Sonic Unleashed. Japanese writer wise, West design wise....

I still want my Sonic and The Last Samurai storybook game tho...;w;

I'd like a Japanese influence designed Sonic game.

48 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

No worries, although I do like to see thoughts that don't involve the "hasn't aged well" copy/pasted thought, it gives far too many the vibe of being hive minded rather than unique in their opinions. Even if you feel similarly, you don't have to word your thoughts exactly the same.

Fair enough.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, The Very First Miru to Me said:

The bad: Archie gets shut down or fully pontaffized, BRB is brought back, possible TTG approach to things with Izuka attacking fans outright.

OpoQQ.jpg

Especially the Archie and BRB part. Been going on for well over two decades, and this news means Archie Sonic gets shut down? And nevermind how BRB botched things up with Boom, so that's unlikely.

All in all, aside from a heavier western appeal, I can't see anything out of this without any more info. If anything, this would get the Japanese branch to loosen their grip of the franchise and allow those who know what the hell to do with it to make better work on it, but that's speculation at best.

• Thumbs Up 8

Eh they seem to be letting the boom folks get away with a lot more junk.

That said i wouldnt mind if he leaned his head in and said "video game characters" and then archie proceedes to put their goobers back into their respective corners.

9 hours ago, The Very First Miru to Me said:

The Good: Maybe for once Izuka will finally fucking listen, they could fucking get the fucking Ken fucking Penders case off the fucking quagmire it's in, or even ally with him so they would fucking obtain all of the fucking Archie, Fleetway, etc characters, or some cool SOA based content.

We get it. You don't like Iizuka, but this hysteria over the direction of the series and just pinning everything on one guy who REALLY isn't that high up the ladder and making the decisions you're constantly accusing him of are getting really annoying. Just stop, or at least back things up with some facts and not "I DON'T LIKE IT!"

And you're kidding yourself if you think anyone at SEGA who knows who Penders is would want him anywhere near this series.

2 hours ago, ChaosSupremeSonic said:

OpoQQ.jpg

Especially the Archie and BRB part. Been going on for well over two decades, and this news means Archie Sonic gets shut down? And nevermind how BRB botched things up with Boom, so that's unlikely.

All in all, aside from a heavier western appeal, I can't see anything out of this without any more info. If anything, this would get the Japanese branch to loosen their grip of the franchise and allow those who know what the hell to do with it to make better work on it, but that's speculation at best.

I was only coming up with them as possibilities. I didn't seriously think that fate would be the only option. In reality, I think the product of this will be much better. Being closer to the fanbase is good.

Can only see Iizuka working in the US again being a good thing. Working closer with the Sonic brand in the West - one would hope - should improve communication and the overall quality of future products. So good luck to him.

After six months I can see Iizuka adding a snowboard-sequence to the next main game where Sonic destroys lots of cars due to Iizuka's frustration at getting lots of parking tickets.....again :P

• Thumbs Up 6

To be honest, I just hope there's going to be a longer story game. Whether its "edgier" or not.

Just now, Joellui said:

To be honest, I just hope there's going to be a longer story game. Whether its "edgier" or not.

I don't need the story to be longer, just better quality than what we've been recently getting. While Generations had a simple plot to follow, it felt incredibly watered down. This feels especially noticeable when you consider all of the CGI trailers that felt like they belonged in the game. Sonic Lost World also proved lackluster story-wise. We get nearly no explanation or backstory for the Deadly Six, neither in the game or in the comic.

The plot can be both simple and solid, Sega. I don't want another Shadow or 06, but I wouldn't mind another Unleashed styled story or even a story like Colors.

• Thumbs Up 7