Awoo.

"SegaSonic Bros.": SegaSonic Arcade Proto or Potential Predecessor Found

azoo

HardcoreGaming101 have stated on Twitter they have intel suggesting this was actually a version of the Game Gear title Poplis. Interesting. 

1 hour ago, Pink Cat said:

So, does that make Silver Mayonnaise and Shadow Barbecue Sauce?

Anyways, I love Bubble Bobble, would love to see it's creator to take on Sonic.

I'm kinda confused by the way they did the menus though, shouldn't they have one of the other Sonics as the other head instead of just putting two blue Sonics there?

No, Silver is Ranch. Mephiles is Worchestershire.

What an awesome find! I love the title screen, it's so cute and I'm a sucker for well-drawn Classic Sonics. I'll be excited to learn more about it!

Personally, I theorize the other Sonics probably aren't supposed to be different characters and just exist for gameplay purposes (alternate costumes for multiplayer and such, yanno). This is supported by the fact that the magazine actually calls them "different colored Sonics", not new characters or whatever. I also kind of hope this is the case, the thought of recolors being "official characters" doesn't really appeal to me, to be honest x)

• Thumbs Up 1

Woah, weird. That sounds almost adventure-era in terms of instruments and construction, before the rather-Engrishy singing starts.

Still pretty catchy though.

tumblr_inline_o14xu48DCw1t0qey1_540.gif

• Thumbs Up 2

37 minutes ago, Tracker said:

More HG101 intel; MUSIC!

Composed for the game, but unused. 

So THATS what that track on the SING! SEGA Game Music album was for originally? Accordion to SEGA Retro this track is the second track based on the game Teddy Boy Blues, originally on the SEGA System 1 in 1985 then ported to the SG-1000 Mk III, Master System, a Japan only Mega Drive port and finally a SEGA CD port. Seems then this song was going to be used for SSB originally but didn't end up being part of the game altogether? Interesting if that's the case.

41 minutes ago, Tracker said:

More HG101 intel; MUSIC!

Composed for the game, but unused. 

I swear at the first five seconds I thought this was the Happy Days theme song.

38 minutes ago, Inspector Shaddy said:

Woah, weird. That sounds almost adventure-era in terms of instruments and construction, before the rather-Engrishy singing starts.

Still pretty catchy though.

Hidden Content

Gives me more Sonic CD vibes, personally.

Here I'll copypasta what was translated in the article from TSSZ that indeed confrims it's legit, per Koji Kenjo:

“Sonic Brothers” was known in planning to take a route similar to “Bubble Bobble”, “Syvalion”, and “Omega Fighter”, which were Fukio “MTJ” Mitsuji’s direction works. It had been developed and we brought the plan to SEGA, but it died in the location test stage. Unfortunately they did not feel like the vision of the game would work in the market.

I only played it a few times, but since I do not think some people write these kind of memories easily, I’ll try to describe to the extent that I remember. If you know some people, we hope you point out if there is an error in the following contents.

The content was to be a falling block puzzle that uses the character of the “Sonic the Hedgehog” similar to “Tetris” and “Puyo”.

Sonic’s spin attack state was in a rounded variety of colors, falling in the shape of four sets of “field”. By rotating, this will pile up in the field around the other Sonic in the same color of your Sonic. It is a play that goes off.

In this case, it may be enclosed to create a round closed wheel in the same color, to be enclosed with the outer wall of the field. Here is my writing in this figure that the case that may occur mainly in. It will be as follows: ■ By enclosed in (the same color), × in the (color can be anything) it will disappear.

Surround with a base □□□□□□ 
□ ■■■■ □ 
□ ■ ×× ■ □ 
□ ■ ×× ■ □

Surround with the base and one-sided side □□□□□□ 
■■■■ □□ 
××× ■ □□ 
××× ■ □□

Surround with the bottom and both sides □□□□□□ 
■■■■■■ 
×××××× 
××××××

Surround without a base (such as making a wheel) or even being allowed to do so was the key in the fall of a single block, Dari enclosed in double, but I think it is also possible to enclose two places at the same time, Whatever happened, I have no clear memory (in any case I think that my judgment may have  also disappeared).

It was for puzzle game lovers, but for you I think you are able to imagine the game was a little painful. It was difficult. Because once a mistake is made or planning is ruined, it is very difficult to rebuild. Even during the falling of blocks come more blocks and often four more units.

Because the colors were enclosed anything good helps, such as capturing colors or advancing the game. Focusing on what color is coming will be very important. Adifference of placement or discarded placements were huge. Don’t throw placements away. A certain sense was the impression that there was a dense meaning, an extreme making of the game.

Not limited to falling blocks, and incorporated the concept of “surround” in the game and playing, while grasping the (depending on the rules) of the inside and outside of the boundary conditions, it is also necessary to follow the trajectory of the boundary, always a wide range. They tended to be difficult games that I have had to deal the eye to and it is quite hard to foster the idea to product.

For “Sonic Brothers” what I remember is this: just like the magic stone in the game “Columns”, I think that there was probably also kind of relief items, but I have since forgotten.

I think, as in “Cleopatra Fortune” that idea is a more sophisticated form of “Sonic Brothers”. The idea of the part that it surrounds is very similar. The “surround” that divided the role of the parts on the side which was surrounded and the side has been sublimated in play that is very easy to understand.

Features of Fukio “MTJ” Mitsuji’s plan was to start from that one catchy idea, I think that there were some problems on the specification in strength to twist one’s arm in Gowan.

However, this simple puzzle game, while also important with decoration and adjustment, element is less simple. It also characterized in that the portion determined by the earlier of the idea one shot large, this work also said there was a flame was not able to reach the launch unfortunately.

Again, I only played on my own several times, documents are also not there. there might be a difference in memory, such as the rules. If there are people you know, I think if you can let me know.

I feel sorry that there is no opportunity to experience the “Sonic Brothers” again. It might be fun to try to form a program with the same mechanism.

So from what I understand it was set to be similar to Tetris, Columns and Puyo Puyo but with an 'enclosememt' mechanic to clear blocks away?  

This one screenshot a day thing is kinda interesting though. Bet it's leading up to a proper video once things can be set.

• Thumbs Up 1

Agh, that description sounds so confusing.  I hope a video is released soon. XD

25 minutes ago, Neo_Fire_Sonic said:

I'm starting to think this is actualy Dr robotniks mean bean machine

That's a possibility worth considering, but that game was never released for arcade.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think I get it, I've played a few games similar. 

I think it sounds like a box making game only with falling blocks/Sonic's. You have to strategically place your blocks into a manner so it creates a square/rectangle. If you're able to capture opponents blocks within your square/rectangle, you gain more points. 

4 hours ago, Tara said:

That's a possibility worth considering, but that game was never released for arcade.

It really isn't cause:

• Mean Bean Machine is nothing like SegaSonic Bros.
  • Mean Bean Machine is Puyo Puyo reskinned into a Sonic game. It's as much of a Sonic game as the American Super Mario Bros 2 is a Mario game.
  • Puyo Puyo preceeds SegaSonic Bros.

It's more likely that SegaSonic Bros. inspired Cleopatra's Fortune, which has similar gameplay as what's described here:

58 minutes ago, TimmiT said:

It really isn't cause:

• Mean Bean Machine is nothing like SegaSonic Bros.
  • Mean Bean Machine is Puyo Puyo reskinned into a Sonic game. It's as much of a Sonic game as the American Super Mario Bros 2 is a Mario game.
  • Puyo Puyo preceeds SegaSonic Bros.

It's more likely that SegaSonic Bros. inspired Cleopatra's Fortune, which has similar gameplay as what's described here:

I mean, yeah, we know all this.  I think the point being brought to the table is that this game could have been in the same development process when the developers were contemplating the idea of a Sonic-based puzzle game in general.  While everything you said is correct, it would also make sense under the notion that-

• Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine was released only a year after the copyright date listed on SegaSonic Bros.
  • SegaSonic Bros. had a test audience in Japan that met the game with less than favorable opinions; Mean Bean Machine was not initially released in Japan. (Mind you, this could also be attributed to the fact that the game is based on AoSTH, but in turn, the decision to base the game around that show could also have been prompted when it was clear that they had no intention of releasing it in Japan in the first place)

Basically, my mindset is that it's possible that when this game didn't make a full release, they didn't give up on the idea of a puzzle-based Sonic game, and instead used Puyo Puyo as a means of making it a reality.  Not saying that this is what happened, or that it's even likely that this is the case, but it's still an interesting thought.

Ehhh,  I really don't think Mean Bean Machine and SegaSonic Bros are related development-wise. If it was SoJ (because SegaSonic) not wanting to give up on a Sonic puzzler, why would they do it through a cartoon that they have no association with (since presumably like SatAM, most of the staff there wouldn't have seen it). It's more likely that SEGA was trying to bring Puyo Puyo over regardless of the fate of SSB, SoA decided it couldn't sell under the Puyo name and got whatever staff (forget who did Mean Bean Machine) to reskin it with the AoStH image. 

Ehhh,  I really don't think Mean Bean Machine and SegaSonic Bros are related development-wise. If it was SoJ (because SegaSonic) not wanting to give up on a Sonic puzzler, why would they do it through a cartoon that they have no association with (since presumably like SatAM, most of the staff there wouldn't have seen it). It's more likely that SEGA was trying to bring Puyo Puyo over regardless of the fate of SSB, SoA decided it couldn't sell under the Puyo name and got whatever staff (forget who did Mean Bean Machine) to reskin it with the AoStH image. 

I do concede to that being the most likely case.  I wouldn't rule out the possibility of SoA having enough communication with SoJ to know about SegaSonic Bros. and probably contemplate the idea.

Then again, from what I know, SoJ and SoA have always had a bit of a disconnect, so again, it's not necessarily likely.

You know, it's weird that people have been so focused on Mean Bean Machine comparisons, because the immediate first thing I thought of instead was Get Blue Spheres.

sk-other-specialstageimg2.png

Well I mean sure, the fact that they use the exact same shapes and colours (spheres in blue, red and yellow) could easily be a coincidence on its own, but the fact that GBS also uses a mechanic of forming squares to clear large amounts of blues? That shit's uncanny. This was only two years after the fact, so maaaaaaaaaaaaaybe they liked the concept of Sonic Bros enough to recycle elements of it into a special stage? Food for thought.

• Thumbs Up 9

Hmm, I still wonder if two Sonic didn't at heavily inspire Mighty and Ray in SSA (with personality and look), if not being direct remodels of them. I've already pointed out how the colour scheme is common as much, but to make the same two personalities to accompany Sonic in the span of less than a year (at least from the title screen; Ron looks like a bombastic show-off and Yvon looks pretty shy to the point of cowardice. Mighty has a loud, booming voice and like to flex his muscles, Ray is very jittery and nervous) is less likely to be co-incidence. 

Is that in any way a realistic scenario? SEGA taking what the Bubble Bobble guy had made, letting AM3 take a look at it and then saying "This is what they made and we didn't accept, can you rework this idea into something more suited for Sonic"?

• Thumbs Up 2