Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

3 hours ago, Nepenthe said:

So you are willing to rebuke some of the best games in recent memory because they apparently didn't cost an arbitrary amount of money. And yet you are simultaneously against the over-expensive AAA industry under the guise that the games that most represent that industry will negatively influence Nintendo's in-house output. What the hell are you even arguing????

I'm saying shooters and gory games have no place on Nintendo basically, hence why they rarely show up. Nintendo knows the market is WAY to over-saturated with that crap, reason being why they avoid it.

Now, what does Nintendo need more of?

Stuff like Final Fantasy returning to their home consoles. That's fitting. Kingdom Hearts is good too.

Ehhhhhh,  while Sony and Xbox One did have some shortage of necessary variety throughout 8th gen initially,  I can't deny that lately they're at least actively trying and actually proceeding to get a proper library like they did in past generations.

Besides,  Nintendo is not the sort to get suckered into following the crowd like sheep just because of something like NX getting GTA, FPS, and racing games alongside their competition. Especially with their iconic first party titles as per usual. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Or, they don't show up that often because the companies who made them have been bailing on Nintendo for hardware and infrastructure reasons, not because of any artistic conflict of interest in terms of what "should" and "shouldn't" be on the console. If Activision thought there was money to be made by throwing Call of Duty on Nintendo consoles with as many bells and whistles as the other versions, they'd do it regardless of the fact that their mascot is a cute plumber. Just as well, you cannot reasonably make the argument that shooting and violence do not belong on Nintendo consoles when it's not even demonstrably true, even in recent times with fucking Splatoon and Zombi U. 

• Thumbs Up 7

Yeah, that's why they went out of their way to lock down one of the goriest games in recent memory with Bayonetta 2 and even give the main character a spot in their big crossover fighting game, right?  

Nintendo aren't idiots. They don't get those games because nobody wants to work with them. It's bad business. Trust me when I say anyone developing a video game platform would LOVE to have what is by far the biggest game of the generation (GTAV) on it. They don't shut down hundreds of games that have a variety of different gameplay styles and hit a lot of genres that they're lacking in just because "too much gore"

• Thumbs Up 2

Or, they don't show up that often because the companies who made them have been bailing on Nintendo for hardware and infrastructure reasons, not because of any artistic conflict of interest in terms of what "should" and "shouldn't" be on the console. Just as well, you cannot reasonably make the argument that shooting and violence do not belong on Nintendo consoles when it's not even demonstrably true, even in recent times with fucking Splatoon and Zombi U. 

Splatoon, shooting/splatting paint everywhere, a whole different ballpark than the mass murdering cr@p on other consoles. It's pure, clean fun, suitable.

Zombi U... That genre didn't get very far on Nintendo asides that game, did it...?

I'm not saying Nintendo doesn't need ANYTHING other consoles have, I've mentioned Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts, finding a way to get Ratchet and Clank would be good/suitable as well.

But stuff like GTA and the like? No.

Also,  No More Heroes,  Silent Hill Shattered Memories, Black Flag,  and several Resident Evil games say Hello as well. 

3 hours ago, Jovahexeon-Phoenix-Sissel said:

Also,  No More Heroes,  Silent Hill Shattered Memories, Black Flag,  and several Resident Evil games say Hello as well. 

Yeah, but again, those games don't get very far when on Nintendo, a lucky break perhaps, but not very far in most cases.

Just now, Wraith said:

Yeah, that's why they went out of their way to lock down one of the goriest games in recent memory with Bayonetta 2 and even give the main character a spot in their big crossover fighting game, right?  

Nintendo aren't idiots. They don't get those games because nobody wants to work with them. It's bad business. Trust me when I say anyone developing a video game platform would LOVE to have what is by far the biggest game of the generation (GTAV) on it. They don't shut down hundreds of games that have a variety of different gameplay styles and hit a lot of genres that they're lacking in just because "too much gore"

Exactly! If that was the case resident evil and zombi u wouldn't be on the console. Hell they wouldn't have funded Bayonetta 2.

Okay Chris Knopps you're just arguing with nothing but conjecture at this point and unless you have actual fucking sources to pull up to back all of your statements I'm going to tell you right now to cut it out and stop derailing this thread with your conspiracy tin-foil hatting. Seriously, I have had it up to here with you.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Sean said:

Okay Chris Knopps you're just arguing with nothing but conjecture at this point and unless you have actual fucking sources to pull up to back all of your statements I'm going to tell you right now to cut it out and stop derailing this thread with your conspiracy tin-foil hatting. Seriously, I have had it up to here with you.

I'm not derailing this thread, it's discussion on the future of the NX and the potentials that go with it, correct? Your statement is based solely on aggravation with my stance on the subject. I apologize for the aggravation, but it's general conversation on what's fitting for the upcoming console.

You're not arguing about what actually is fitting for the console. You're arguing with what you think is fitting for the console.

You're putting too much weight on how much your opinion matters by using your opinion alone as your sole tool for debating.

9 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Splatoon, shooting/splatting paint everywhere, a whole different ballpark than the mass murdering cr@p on other consoles. It's pure, clean fun, suitable.

Zombi U... That genre didn't get very far on Nintendo asides that game, did it...?

I'm not saying Nintendo doesn't need ANYTHING other consoles have, I've mentioned Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts, finding a way to get Ratchet and Clank would be good/suitable as well.

But stuff like GTA and the like? No.

Splatoon's art is irrelevant. It's a shooter; end of. Zombi U not doing well also has nothing to do with whether or not it "belongs" there either as I can pull probably a ton of underwhelming, underperforming Wii U games from happy aesthetics from Wiki pages if I felt like it. All you seem to be doing is making an arbitrary, personal distinction between "kid-friendly" and "not kid-friendly"- ironically some of the same arguments that have been made against Sonic that you disagree with- and simply determining that anything in these boxes cannot mix without any real respect or understanding of the history of Nintendo's consoles or of gaming culture in general.

And wait; back up.

How in the world are you okay with Kingdom Hearts when the hyped up final chapter of the main series is being released on a console line that has never seen a Kingdom Hearts game before, a console line that has been resoundingly criticized by the public for letting its cartoony and lighthearted IPs go to waste to the point that we're getting a cheap indie game as a middle finger to the entire company, a console line made by a company that has come to embody the dudebro sentiment you claim is only reserved for games like Call of Duty or Grand Theft Auto, and a console line that has seen dismal representation in terms of RPGs and general Japanese success? This doesn't make any damn sense.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Sean said:

You're not arguing about what actually is fitting for the console. You're arguing with what you think is fitting for the console.

You're putting too much weight on how much your opinion matters by using your opinion alone as your sole tool for debating.

Then I apologize for that. When it comes to Nintendo and what I personally feel appropriate I'm simply firm on my stance and quick to affirm that stance. I'll admit there's better ways to do so, yes.

And... I'm confused by that Nepenthe... I just find Kingdom Hearts suitable for Nintendo.

8 minutes ago, Wraith said:

See how I cite something that actually happened to support what I'm saying? 

Now let's look at one of your posts.

15 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

I'm saying shooters and gory games have no place on Nintendo basically, hence why they rarely show up. Nintendo knows the market is WAY to over-saturated with that crap, reason being why they avoid it.

Now, what does Nintendo need more of?

Stuff like Final Fantasy returning to their home consoles. That's fitting. Kingdom Hearts is good too.

You say Nintendo "knows" these things like it's some kind of fact or that it actually supports your argument, but there's no proof of Nintendo even caring whether or not the market is over-saturated with that sort of thing. You also say they "avoid" this sort of thing when there's no actual proof of this and plenty of evidence to the contrary? Why? You're basically basing your arguments off of bullshit that isn't actually happening. What's the point of that? I seriously don't understand.

• Thumbs Up 1

I thought you were referring to Kingdom Hearts in general, because I hope you're aware that the third iteration is not even going to be released on any Nintendo consoles.

• Thumbs Up 3

I thought you were referring to Kingdom Hearts in general, because I hope you're aware that the third iteration is not even going to be released on any Nintendo consoles.

I wish it were, especially for the NX at least. That would certainly boost sales of a new console, especially if we get the whole series released in sets/a set like the PS3/4.

23 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Well,  it didn't exactly get the best of support from either side,  Nintendo or Ubisoft (who's done their fair share of stupid things when it comes to their Wii U projects but I digress).

Also even with that being hindered, Zombi U still in the end was held in higher regard higher regard critically  compared to the subsequent "next gen" as some jerks life to mockingly to put it, version, Zombi .

Going off of that sense of controlled experiment, you'd be better off trying to blame the ineptitude of Ubisoft, a company that was dumb enough to screw up Tetras on the PS4, than trying to claim that the likes of Zombi U don't belong on Nintendo consoles. 

I mean, I'd understand the argument that Nintendo wants to avoid those bloody gory shooter types, because they do have a generally kid friendly appearance.

But they made the conscious decision to publish fucking Devil's Third.

3 hours ago, Nix said:

I mean, I'd understand the argument that Nintendo wants to avoid those bloody gory shooter types, because they do have a generally kid friendly appearance.

But they made the conscious decision to publish fucking Devil's Third.

Bayonetta 2 was brought up, but personally I find that more of Nintendo opening up to sexuality than actual violence because it's hard to determine which the series consists more of. lol

(Come on, you pole dance and strip naked while fighting)

3 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Bayonetta 2 was brought up, but personally I find that more of Nintendo opening up to sexuality

Dude,  they were doing that well before Bayonetta came on board the Wii U ship.   https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Dare

Besides,  who said anything about Nintendo even opening up to something they hadn't aalready hosted well enough to get used to anyway?

Nintendo itself has never been one for developing a lot of overtly violent or realistic games or basing their image around them. But this has never stopped them from allowing games of more mature content from being on their consoles by third party developers, in turn allowing a wide range of content to choose from for multiple demographics and ranges of tastes. And it was better that way. Contra 3: The Alien Wars is a hard-as-nails nightmare fueled shooting game and I happily played that on SNES as an impressionable young child. GoldenEye, Turok, Perfect Dark, and Conker's Bad Fur Day were violent, gory, and sexual N64 staples. Resident Evil 4 was the best on the Gamecube. This idea that Nintendo can't do anything that's beyond PG-rated is just not founded on actual precedent or any convincing sense of looking out for the company's future.

• Thumbs Up 8

See,  here's the thing. Nintendo have done these sorts of games.  They've got variety,  but they don't always really go for more extreme gory stuff and whatnot; not that there's really been much of a need to in the first place for any company. 

When it occurs,  it occurs.Simple as that. 

Nintendo itself has never been one for developing a lot of overtly violent or realistic games or basing their image around them. But this has never stopped them from allowing games of more mature content from being on their consoles by third party developers, in turn allowing a wide range of content to choose from for multiple demographics and ranges of tastes. And it was better that way. Contra 3: The Alien Wars is a hard-as-nails nightmare fueled shooting game and I happily played that on SNES as an impressionable young child. GoldenEye, Turok, Perfect Dark, and Conker's Bad Fur Day were violent, gory, and sexual N64 staples. Resident Evil 4 was the best on the Gamecube. This idea that Nintendo can't do anything that's beyond PG-rated is just not founded on actual precedent or any convincing sense of looking out for the company's future.

I'll submit to that one.

The only case I was trying to make is that other dominating genre's on other consoles shouldn't come to Nintendo at the cost of dominating Nintendo's market.

So long as that happens, I don't mind so much.

This wouldn't happen likely because it has never happened with any console Nintendo developed before third-party devs started fleeing their scene, so it's an unfounded fear to base an argument on.

• Thumbs Up 2