Awoo.

Fox's Mega Man Movie - "Please don't crossover with Alvin and the Chipmunks''

Ryannumber1gamer

And I think it's perfectly reasonable to be optimistic and keep an open mind since, ya know, there are still good video game movies no matter how you slice it so as long as that's true, everything imo deserves a chance. You said, "has there ever been a good video game movie"  and then said confidently that it WILL be shit. I had examples, and now you're trying to pull out and change what you said.

Edited by Michael Munroe

The movies you listed either got bad to mediocre reviews, or I've seen them and didn't like them. I literally can't think of a single video game movie I thought was good, there have been a couple I enjoyed parts of, but they were extremely flawed in the long run and I wouldn't watch again. The Gyakuten Saiban movie for example.

I have no idea why you're taking issue with this. If you don't like how the first sentence of my post gels with everything else, it's called hyperbole.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not taking issue, it's late and maybe my messaging just comes off like I am when tired.

though I guess it is a little annoying how you pronounced that it will be bad without any shred of optimism. (Plus I don't really trust critics for a lot of films) Though again I'm tired so maybe I was looking into that too much. 

Also you didn't like the Professor Layton films? What was wrong with those?

maybe your dislike with some of the films has to maybe do with your dislike of the franchises used in general moreso than the quality of said film? Like the Halo movies are pretty close to the games in a lot of ways, and halo fans like them. So you not liking it, doesn't mean it's shit, like how me not liking the Mirrors edge series, doesn't mean it's a shit series.

Edited by Michael Munroe

I thought the Layton movie (the first one, had no idea there were others) was pretty boring, although I probably posted about how good I thought it was at the time due to being enthralled by the art style and little else. I've never played the games beyond parts of the first one so I have no clue how it measures up to them.

If it's my tone you don't like then it's understandable, I exaggerate shit a lot to make a point.

If done right, I'll enjoy this.

But for now, staying away from it and not even touching it with a ten-foot pole.

maybe your dislike with some of the films has to maybe do with your dislike of the franchises used in general moreso than the quality of said film? Like the Halo movies are pretty close to the games in a lot of ways, and halo fans like them. So you not liking it, doesn't mean it's shit, like how me not liking the Mirrors edge series, doesn't mean it's a shit series.

No I think it just boils down to me thinking the ones I've seen are not good.

Like shit, I've already cited the AA movie as one I didn't like. I was really excited for that movie, and in some ways, it hits a few good notes and has some interesting takes on the game's events. But I still wouldn't recommend it to anyone, it suffered from really poor pacing and an obnoxious, awkward protagonist who made me want to slap him instead of root for him.

I'm not interested in letting my rants continue to derail this topic so I'm going to stop talking about this now.

Well to each their own then I guess. I personally enjoy a handful of video game films and find them good so feel justified in being optimistic/looking forward to titles like Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper and even to a extent Megaman(though with it being Fox currently, optimism is hanging by a thread).

Has there ever been a good video game movie

It literally does not matter who produces it, who directs it, who writes it, who stars in it. This is going to be shit. No point in looking forward to it, just like there's no point in looking forward to any other video game adaptation

A few of the pokemon movies were enjoyable, the street fighter movie is a cult classic, I heard the Phoenix Wright movie was good,  The digimon ova "Our War Game" is good the Japanese dub not that digimon movie crap that Saban/Fox did and Im sure there are a lot more that Im forgetting. 

Considering that Fox has already proven themselves as assholes who don't give to shits about source material, and will do things out of pure and hateful spite as shown with the Fantastic Four movie, I'm gonna agree with @Sean that I'm not very optimistic about this film. The only video game films I've seen and actually liked was Professor Layton (Which is because I was a massive fan of the game series anyway and that probably has something to do with it),and Prince of Persia, which I haven't seen in years.

Come on guys, we all know there's at least one good video game movie. 

THE SONIC OVA

Either that or Cory in the House.

But yeah, pretty curious to see the  Blue Bombed in the big screen.

If there's any hope for this movie they're basing it off of the Mega Man comics written by Flynn. That man has done so much for the lore of Megaman and the characterization of its characters that it will be a shame if these takes on the characters aren't the driving force of the film. 

Also, this being announced in the advent of a success like Ex Machina has me slightly hopeful that this will be much more than an evil robot movie but there's the one robot that saves everyone. Mega Man deserves to have an intellectually complex film like that. 

The timing seems a bit odd honestly, and I think I know why.

Inafune is rushing the fuck out of 5 different projects that are pretty much not-megaman in various medias, which means if Capcom ever did anything with the brand, let's face it, there would be a bunch of people calling it a clone of that Mighty Number 9 series.

So I think Capcom is now rushing to slap Megaman's face on anything they can to make him a bit relevant before MightyN9 comes out so that they can at least say they did it first.

Then again, I'm probably wrong, however everything matches, the Legacy Collection as much as people worked hard into it was still a bunch of redone old games, nothing new, the new cartoon, while too soon to talk about it, came literally out of nowhere and they didn't even try to make a big surprise out of it or anything, and the movie, the way it's being revealed, looks like they just gave Fox the rights and said ''Do whatever, just do it before Inafune'', which would make sense, since a Mighty N9 movie was ALSO a thing Inafune planned.

I honestly hope I'm wrong, because all this means that Capcom is trying to revive the brand for relevancy's sake and might end up on a race of ''who can milk a franchise faster'' with Inafune.

• 1 year later...

Hey remember when we all thought this movie wouldn't go anywhere since it pretty much died off the face of the earth? Well here we go!

Don't know much about those particular directors, but that seems like a rather... odd choice.

But then, video game movies are notorious for nonsensical creative decisions, so I can't even harbor any surprise at this point.

• 1 year later...

Officially announced by Capcom themselves. It's really really real now.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e181004.html

The feature film, tentatively titled MEGA MAN, will be written and directed by Henry Joost and Ariel Schulman, and is scheduled to be distributed by 20th Century Fox. Chernin Entertainment, responsible for the Planet of the Apes series, will be producing it with Masi Oka, of Heroes fame. Based on the influential and globally beloved Mega Man franchise, Capcom aims to appeal to a diverse audience, including not only game players but action movie fans as well, with an adaptation that maintains the world of the Mega Man games, while incorporating the grand production and entertainment value that Hollywood movies are known for.

Looks like they're focused on staying faithful. Thank goodness for that, I'm not exactly looking for a 19 year old Mega Man in the lead.

8 minutes ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

Officially announced by Capcom themselves. It's really really real now.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e181004.html

Looks like they're focused on staying faithful. Thank goodness for that, I'm not exactly looking for a 19 year old Mega Man in the lead.

Well...I'm sure there is a limit to making a faithful  live-action of a 10 year old robot boy fighting evil.

They say they're "maintains the world of the Mega Man games", but we'll see about that.

I'm of the opinion that the X and Zero series would probably make better material for a movie, but obviously they don't have the clout of the original.  With that said, I wouldn't be surprised if the movie had elements similar to those series, with a slightly more thoughtful approach to the idea of sapient robots forced to rebel.