Awoo.

What was the first Sonic game you guys have played?

Dr Devil

Sonic 3D Blast, at a friend's house.  I remember liking it enough at the time.  I already knew I liked Sonic because I was a fan of SatAM, so it just seemed like "oh hey, a game based on that character I remember watching!"  I still have a decent tolerance for the game and feel that it could have been great (albeit, not in a revolutionary sort of way) if they had decided to make it a straight platformer rather than a Flicky fetch quest.  Still, it's a nice, easy little game that can be beaten in a few hours, so I like going back to it every so often.  Plus, both versions have really nice music (though admittedly, I feel the Genesis version probably has the weakest instrumentation of all Sonic Genesis games) and an interesting atmosphere and presentation to boot.  There's a lot of good stuff amidst the monotonous gameplay.

The first Sonic game I ever played was Sonic The Hedgehog for the Sega Genesis back in the 90s. It was technically my brother's game (and console) but I played it almost as much as he did, and I kept them until the mid-2000s when my parents either threw it out or gave it away. 

I played the original Sonic 1 on the Megadrive shortly after it's release at a friend's house. It was very revolutionary back then.

A little game I got at McDonald's in 2003 called "Knuckles' Soccer". It's just a LCD game where you play as Knuckles and you have to keep the soccer balls from going into the net. It's cute, and slightly entertaining, but nothing to get excited over.

After that it was "Mario and Sonic At The Olympic Games" that I got for Christmas 2009. That's what really got me into the Sonic games. My first official Sonic game that I played was probably Sonic the Hedgehog on Sonic Mega Collection Plus for the PS2, which I got for my birthday in February 2010.

Sonic Heroes :) My mum bought it for me for my 11th Birthday but it wasn't my initial Birthday present. My mum bought me American Idol along with a PS2 but I wasn't very keen on that game. We had the TV on at the time and an advert for Sonic Heroes popped up and it caught my interest straight away and my mum actually went out and bought me the game despite it not being on the list of games that came with the console bundles :) I guess she thought "it's her Birthday so I'll get it anyway" :) I just thought the game looked really fun and I loved the way it looked :) Sure it had its issues being the PS2 version and all but I still had a lot of fun while playing it, I still do to be honest :)

Edited by CAiTlin_Sprite
  • Thumbs Up 2

Technically, I guess my first game was actually Ultimate Flash Sonic :P I remember playing it on a Saturday that we were going to an amusement park, and being upset by having to go to said park because I wanted to keep playing the game! xD

Sonic Heroes on the PS2. Not the best game to start with, I know, but it was the first one I played and beat to the end because I didn't have any other game consoles besides the Gameboy Advance. Then came Sonic 3, Sonic R, SA:DX and the rest.

Sonic the hedgehog 2  on the original mega drive at my Uncles place. Practically around the time the megadrive was still purchasable in stores.
 That was my first sonic game I played.

Hmmm, it seems that most Sonic fans came to be around 2001-2005 with some around 1991-1994, which explains a lot why Sonic 1-2/SA2/Heroes gets so much nostalgia love.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Heroes on Xbox. I know, the game has mixed reception from fans, can get repetitive and has slippery controls but it still has a special place in my heart.

Too bad my disc is all scratched up and I can't find another one for the life of me.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

My first sonic game was sonic heroes on the game cube. Basically what happened was I used to have a game cube before it broke, I saw sonic heroes somewhere, I got it, I loved it, and I ended up here today. That's basically how I ended up getting introduced to the sonic series and liked it.

The oldie Sonic 1, almost ten years, when I first got my SEGA Genesis as a little kid.

You can say I fell in love with it. The bouncy and sweet, colourful game, going fast. I remember, I've used to stare a lot at the background of Green Hill Zone, yep, that  made me go all dreamy and "waaaaa I want to be there! I don't want to go on! [next level]" a similar thing hapened with Angel Island on SK, just stronger graphics (?

The first Sonic game I ever played was Sonic Adventure 2:Battle for the GameCube. That Sonic game is the best in my opinion despite all the flaws it has.

• Thumbs Up 1

My first was Sonic 2 on the Mega Drive back in at least '93, and Sonic 1 was in the household before then. Ironically, I tend to favour the later games.

Man, I get so jealous when people say their first was a Genesis/Master System game. My first was Sonic Advance 2. Pretty sure I´ve told this story many times, but I asked for Sonic Adventure 2 and I got this one instead haha

Edited by Ristar
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sonic 1 or Sonic & Knuckles. Probably 1. I don't remember completely, to be honest. I was young. This was around '94-'97.

Man, I get so jealous of you guys. My first was Sonic Advance 2. Pretty sure I´ve told this story, but I asked for Sonic Adventure 2 haha

Haha. This happened to me when I wanted Spiderman 64, but got the GBC version instead.

Edited by Marcello

Sonic Adventure 2. However, as a kid it took me a half a month to complete it. I don't the like the game very much going back to it, though.

I had a SEGA Genesis with some games like Vectorman and Toejam & Earl. Sonic the Hedgehog was one of the games too (Because it came with the console, if I remember correctly) so I played it there and loved it. Ended up getting Sonic Mega Collection for the GameCube and other stuff like that later on that let me play other classic titles.

Sonic 1 way, way back. Was my first game, first console was a Genesis.

Surprisingly, I really don't care all that much for it.. Don't even care all that much for the classics bar Sonic 3&K and CD.

Sonic CD, 3D Blast, and Sonic 3...yes in that order!

CD i played (or even watched) when I was like 4, so I barley remember it, I do remember that the game was freaking awesome! Tho what exactly I remember is literatly not in the game! The only thing I remember right is that the backround changes sometimes, (I assumed you went soooo fast that literatly traveled to another location.) and that you turned small at one point. What I remember I start to doubt is possible to replicate. Despite that it was amazing, like literatly the best game I could imagine! Maybe I just really liked the art...idk. So when I replayed the game many years later, it was technacly my first time playing it since i didn't remember it correctly. So coinsedencially it is my favorite game by far! (Sonic 3 comes somewhat close I suppose...as far as 2D games go anyways!)...and yes there was a time when my older bro randomly brought up CD and I was like "what's CD?" and he was like "YOU DON'T REMEMBER!"...yeah!

Now 3D Blast I remember quite a bit more, it was the PC version (CD was too). It was originally supposed to be a present for my bro's friend, but before we gave it to him we played it a bit. When the time came to give it up, there was wee bit of a problem...we wanted to keep it! So our dad decided the only logical solution was to copy the game to another disk and give my bro's friend the original! Problem solved...except the music was completly gone! (yeah we all know now that that's how the music in the disc works, it reads DIRECTLY off of it!). We got used to it pretty quick to the point that we didn't care. I remember sucking a bit at the game, and I especially remember those annoying snowmen!

So if 3D blast was my first "real" sonic game then why am I bringing up Sonic 3 (again on PC!), you know aside from the fact that I remember Sonic 3 even more! Well you see...we got bored of 3D blast real quick and I personally didn't find it the most engaging thing ever. Sonic 3 tho...HECK YES! This game easily became my favorite in the series for many years (not cause of quality, but because of a 7 year hiatus!). There was too much to like about it and too little to dislike about it, my mind was now old enough to keep track of all the crazy graphics, unlike CD! Was it frustrating...Very! But I felt that was all part of the experience. Tho to be honest I spent most of my time watching my bro play cause he was better! The feeling I got when I beat my first boss is completely unrivaled to this day! You can see the whole story here if you want! Sadly we never got past the sandopolis act 2...Those ghosts are scary stuff!!!! (I never got too much barrel trouble for it to be rememberable, but I can totally see why it would be an issue with others. We might have used the super sonic transform glitch to get past it at first but i'm not sure...) And also getting all chaos emeralds as tails and NOT getting a reward! That got me soooo pissed! Like really?! Also we rarely played Sonic and Knuckles by itself since it had no save feature! (We were only allowed 1 hour of playtime, sometimes restriced to once per weekend! maybe sometimes it was 2 idk!)

And to top it all off, when I said i played CD, 3D Blast, and Sonic 3 in that order, I meant that literatly! before we got the next game, the previous one would brake!

CD i didn't remember, 3D I didn't really care, Sonic 3...yeah that made me cry! the only thing that stopped me from crying was that I was threatened that if I didn't stop I would never get a game bought again. So I quickly told myself "there might be a better game out there! Who knows!" and I stopped...I really don't know what to think about that anymore, I was pretty young so...yeah take of it what you will!

And then I got a playstation 2 with Spyro 3 and forgot all about sonic! :P (lol, that's a wierd way to end it! my childhood of sonic anyways!)

The first Sonic game I remember playing was Sonic the Hedgehog (1991). By the time I'd played it, it'd been out for a few years. But I remember playing it on the 6-Pak, I was like 4 or 5 at the time. I remember just playing Green Hill Zone over and over because I wasn't skilled enough to get passed Marble Zone. I'd always die the moment I entered Act 1 of Marble Zone. But because I clearly remember playing Green Hill Zone over and over and over and never getting bored, that level seriously has a very special place in my heart. And that song.....man. Whenever I listen to Green Hill Zone, I get flashbacks like no other video game song has ever made me experience. It is my favorite video game song ever because of that. :') They could recreate Green Hill Zone in every future Sonic game with a remix of that song and I'd never get tired of it. People say they use Green Hill Zone too much? I say they don't use it enough!

Edited by PKGaming

It's between Sonic Battle, Sonic Advance 3, Sonic Heroes.

The first time I ever seen or heard of Sonic was Sonic X on the Fox Box. After watching a couple of episodes and a few Christmases later my parents got me a Gamecube and Game Boy Advance. And if I remember correctly, I'm leaning toward Sonic Battle being my first Sonic game.

My first game was the Sonic and Knuckles collection for the PC. I was one of the idiots that got stuck on the barrel as Sonic, but I loved the game so much that I completed 100% multiple save files with knuckles. When I grew a brain cell and realized how to get past the barrel and progressed as Sonic, the Death Egg caught me completely off guard. Good times.

My first Sonic game is Sonic R for PC. But some years after that, I lost that game. I thought it could be somewhere inside my PC, but I couldn't find it for ages.

• Thumbs Up 1