Awoo.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE (Wii U / 24th June 2016)

Junko

It's not Treehouse localizing the game for this one.

“Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE was localized by Atlus in a way that is consistent with the localization work they do on games they publish,” reads a statement from Nintendo of America. “It was a priority to ensure the game feels familiar and appeals to longtime Atlus fans. Any changes made to the in-game content were due to varying requirements and regulations in the many different territories Nintendo distributes its products.”

• Thumbs Up 2

So... Technically Sega is localizing a Nintendo game.

Okay well, sorta. RIP Europe though, it seems to take Atlus forever to get games out there (unless they already got a release date).

17 hours ago, Gambling Idol Luka said:

So... Technically Sega is localizing a Nintendo game.

Okay well, sorta. RIP Europe though, it seems to take Atlus forever to get games out there (unless they already got a release date).

Well, it's being published by Nintendo still. It's a Western release date of June 24th. Also: new trailer

• Thumbs Up 1

Ya know, its funny because they even went out of their way to redub the line too and not just the text.

• 1 month later...

Honestly I still think the whole censoring thing is silly, it's localization(and sometimes the changes are actually due to European law ya'know)

Anyways review Roundup courtesy of Gamestop, and the consensus is... Positive!

GameSpot -- 8/10

"Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE is gorgeous, fun, and a smart collaboration all around. Backtracking through dungeons and running up against tedious bosses can bring the momentum down, but overall the game is something worth exploring. After a few dozen hours the semi-ludicrous story and systems set in front of you feel so comfortable together that this mashup of developer Atlus' most popular franchise and Intelligent Systems' beloved strategy RPG seems like it was destined to be." -- Alexa Ray Corriea [Full review]

Polygon -- 9.5/10

"It's been ages since I've had as much fun with an RPG as I did with Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Specifically, I can't remember the last one that was quite so spirited, or that hooked me quite so firmly from start to finish. It revels in the lighthearted and bubbly world of lighthearted and bubbly idols, and that attitude is contagious. Though I went into it skeptical about how well a popstar-themed blend of both the Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei series might work, Tokyo Mirage Sessions never misses a beat." -- Janine Hawkins [Full review]

Nintendo Life -- 8/10

"All in all, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE is an RPG that's roughly 85% Shin Megami Tensei, 15% Fire Emblem, and somehow ends up feeling like something completely separate from either of the two. It strikes a middle ground that's rooted in the format of many modern role-playing titles, boasting an energetic and dynamic combat system all wrapped up in a setting that takes J-Pop cheesiness to astral heights. While it's so extremely niche that we doubt it'll convert any nonbelievers in the slightest, there's a remarkably lengthy and enjoyable experience to be found here for anyone that doesn't already have stage-fright. Even if the idea of pop-star superheroes is an immediate turn off, a slew of rewarding mechanics might just be enough to pull you back in. Whether you ignore the silliness or embrace it, we'd dare say that any title featuring a rocket-powered cyborg pegasus is worth investigating." -- Conor McMahon [Full review]

USGamer -- review in progress

"Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE is a great JRPG that I have a feeling will wrap up in around 50-60 hours of playtime. It looks great, fans of anime and Japanese culture in general will get a kick out of the game's subtitle-only presentation, and the songs are pretty catchy. Combined with a great battle system, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE more than earns its place in your JRPG collection. And at the very least, it should keep you flush until Persona 5 comes out next February." -- Mike Williams [Full review]

Eurogamer

"For all of its inadequacies, Tokyo Mirage Sessions is superb. The animated cut scenes, the kind-of-like-Persona-5-but-not-quite-there-yet interface, the music videos, the music--good lord, that music. It's a giddy game, full of love and puppy-like enthusiasm and the certainty that friendship is the solution for everything. I don't know if I'd recommend it to anyone who isn't already a fan of all things Japanese, but for those of you who are, you're likely to find a very good time." -- Cassandra Khaw [Full review]

Game Informer -- 8.25/10

"Crossover games have a tendency to be silly in order to make two disparate universes collide. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE is no exception, combining the worlds of Shin Megami Tensei and Fire Emblem into one heavy dose of Japanese popular culture, ranging from pop stars and actors to fashion and anime. This unique experience merges the two long-running franchises together in interesting ways, since anything goes; you fight by performing songs to damage enemies, wearing elaborate costumes on a vibrant stage. With a colorful cast, fun upgrade system, and challenging battles, Tokyo Mirage Sessions provides an entertaining performance through and through." -- Kimberly Wallace [Full review]

Seriously considering grabbing this, since it's one that'll probably become semi-rare and worth something later on. And I like a good JRPG, and only have 2 other Wii-u games coming out this year to get

On 6/23/2016 at 2:12 PM, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

Honestly I still think the whole censoring thing is silly, it's localization(and sometimes the changes are actually due to European law ya'know)

Anyways review Roundup courtesy of Gamestop, and the consensus is... Positive!

Seriously considering grabbing this, since it's one that'll probably become semi-rare and worth something later on. And I like a good JRPG, and only have 2 other Wii-u games coming out this year to get

I only really find it silly because SMT is a niche series and censoring it for people who probably aren't really interested in the game sounds odd. I'm not a huge supporter of it because I see it as changing an artists vision. That said, I know enough Japanese so getting an original Japanese copy of the game and playing it shouldn't be a huge problem so I can play it in its original form and localization in this day and age where the internet is available for people to look at other cultures is outdated. Little Timmy wont be picking up TMS #FE that's for sure.

Anyway, I'm familiar with Shin Megami Tensei but not Fire Emblem will this game still be enjoyable? If not what Fire Emblem should I play before I purchase a copy #FE from Play Asia? I don't really want references to be lost on me.

3 hours ago, Alice Twilight said:

Anyway, I'm familiar with Shin Megami Tensei but not Fire Emblem will this game still be enjoyable? If not what Fire Emblem should I play before I purchase a copy #FE from Play Asia? I don't really want references to be lost on me.

I think you can enjoy the game without any Fire Emblem knowledge for the most part, even with the Mirages being characters being FE characters. They'll just seem to be characters that help you out I guess.

But if you're curious, TMS only references the Akanea series (Shadow Dragon, Gaiden to a much lesser extent, and Mystery of the Emblem) and Awakening which is odd considering it seemed like they wanted to use more but its an oh well. If you really wanna get all the references that they might had slipped in then get Awakening and original Mystery of the Emblem. Nothing wrong with the DS remakes, its just that Mystery has an abridged version of Shadow Dragon as Book 1 so its 2 games for the price is one. That's all I can really tell you.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

The combat is totally Persona based, but the weapon triangle from FE comes into play here to open up for more weaknesses and resistances.

The two franchises are at play in the leveling system as well. Characters get Experience all the same, but it's not 100 EXP per level like in FE. HP and EP (Skill Point pool) are calibrated by Persona rules, with guaranteed increases with each level up, and the amount of which is based on RNG. Every other stat goes by Fire Emblem rules; whether they go up or not in the first place is based on RNG.

I personally enjoy so far. Exactly what I expected from a merging of the two franchises.

Anyone have a translation at ready for battle dialogue though? I wish I knew what was being said.