Awoo.

Microsoft @ E3

Carbo

6/10

Too perfunctory. Too safe. Not many surprises other than console OS features which Sony are now going to have to really double down on it feels. Too frontloaded. Recore theoretically sounds like the most interesting game but Armature has only been continuing to churn out shit without Nintendo's direction and the teaser itself didn't tell me anything. Credit to Rare for putting out a brand new IP at last that is removed from all of the negative preconceptions but unfortunately it doesn't save it from looking completely uninteresting. Gears 4 looks like a decent return to the first game's form but the demonstration itself was terrible and it was impossible to see shit.

But it was all functional. And they focused on games. So that's good. Phil Spencer is the best thing to have happened to Microsoft.

Phil was always there. It just required a massive shunt up the backside for them to raise him up high enough to make a difference.

I can't imagine how frustrated he'd have been back when Mattrick was still running things.

You know, Sea of Thieves looks more and more interesting to me every time I look at the trailer... You know I was all hyped up for Rare's big return to be Banjo or something of that nature and the lack of an immediate mascot put a bit of a dent in my enthusiasm, but you know, it really does look like a very beautiful, and immersive pirate world...

In any case it's great that Rare are no longer Kinect monkeys and rather than sweep them under the corporate blandness rug, MS is now promoting their legacy. And ooh baby do I love that new logo.

• Thumbs Up 1

Is this right? There are only 18 backwards compatible 360 games?

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/backward-compatibility/available-games

It could be a Xbox->X360 dealio where they have a list of compatible games that kinda work* and they add more games to it for a while then slowly stop updating altogether.

Better than nothing tbh. Hopefully they have Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey working by the time I get the system for Scalebound (probably when it hits $99, they've got time as far as I'm concerned).

*may not actually work past level 2

Wonder if games that have stopped being supported altogether like Marvel vs Capcom 3 or Sonic 06, will show up on at some point. Also if Arcade games will be ported.

So One will have 360 compatibility? It doesn't matter to me because I don't own any but as a whole, this sounds interesting yet questionable. I mean, there is only limited amount of games and what kind of games are coming to it?

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

DR845SU.jpg

$150!

...and it still uses AA batteries. *snort laugh*

Microsoft, you are a bunch of jokers sometimes. XD

I'm a bit surprised that Microsoft remembers Perfect Dark, was a nice game. 

I hoped for ANY Killer Instinct stuff, but oh well, E3's not done and KI S2 wasn't shown at the conference either so... Still hopping for a S3 reveal.

That Rare collection thing got me excited, I really need to pick that up.

I just caught this conference over on YouTube, and I'm sad to say that almost nothing in it grabbed me and got me excited. The new Gears looks Gearsy, Halo looks Haloy, Fable looks Fabley... you get the picture. Same old same old. The Fallout demo seemed far more lifeless than at the Bethesda event (holy shit was that a nice little conference!), Ubisoft's games seemed dull as dishwater, yadda yadda. There were lots of games, but most were predictable and uninteresting. The Rare collection thing, however, that seems okay, but I probably wouldn't venture beyond Perfect Dark anyway. Sea of Thieves looked alright too, sort of midway between Wind Waker and Black Flag, with plenty of Pirates of the Caribbean thrown in. That said, as I refuse to pay to play online, it's not an experience I'm likely to be able to take advantage of. And that's assuming I have an Xbone, which I don't, and have seen little to change that view around thus far.

The only two games that got my attention were Ion, from the creator of DayZ, and Tacoma, which continues to intrigue me. However, without seeing anything much of either, it's very hard to get excited. Next year, maybe? Or at Sony or the PC games events?

The HoloLens tech demo was fantastic, just amazing. I'm not into Minecraft, but holy hell, that was the best AR experience I think I've ever seen! I hope it's able to do things elsewhere in the world, like display things around my home. If it's that versatile, maybe we can get a Micro Machines HL game to play?

So, in summary: The big games didn't wow me, a couple of the little ones interested me but were barely in evidence, Rare's piratical game looks alright, and the HoloLens kicks arse.

5/10