Awoo.

Nintendo World Championship Returns! - Announcing Nintendo @ E3 2015

RosaRosaRosalina

a video announced by NOA and people are shocked that NOA is hosting it in their territory.

okay.

a video announced by NOA and people are shocked that NOA is hosting it in their territory.

okay.

Even then, it's only open to US residents. Even if I went to America to try and take part I couldn't. That isn't a "World" Championship, it's an American one.

I'm sure there's a reason. Maybe they'll be shipping prizes and don't want to deal with customs, or Reggie watches Fox news and thinks ISIS might ruin it.

idfk, NOA is usually shit just let us have this

• Thumbs Up 2

How does this excuse the issue?????????????

It doesn't, but on the flipside at no point was it said that this was in fact a worldwide event(though, I would think Canada would be included at least though)

It doesn't, but on the flipside at no point was it said that this was in fact a worldwide event(though, I would think Canada would be included at least though)

logo-championships.jpg?download=1

No one said this was a worldwide event guys.

logo-championships.jpg?download=1

No one said this was a worldwide event guys.

Which does not state anywhere that its, specifically, an actual worldwide event.

Also, do keep in mind:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_World_Championships

The ORIGINAL World Championships were USA only as well. I think it more specifically refers to the "Nintendo World" rather than the actual entire world.

• Thumbs Up 1

Also, do keep in mind:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_World_Championships

The ORIGINAL World Championships were USA only as well. I think it more specifically refers to the "Nintendo World" rather than the actual entire world.

I'm, uh, already aware of that. I'm just not sure why you'd name it Nintendo World Championships if it's not, y'know the World. Most people are expecting that latter option.

I'm, uh, already aware of that. I'm just not sure why you'd name it Nintendo World Championships if it's not, y'know the World. Most people are expecting that latter option.

Ask Nintendo.

NES Remix lends itself perfectly for the NWC so it doesn't surprise me that it's the qualifier. I'm more interested in seeing how the main event turns out, it should be interesting to see how they'd determine ranking in lieu of modern Nintendo games.

8 Best Buy locations is pretty pathetic. It doesn't surprise me all that much that it's only open to US residents though considering most non-residents are most likely those who would plan travels around E3 when the qualifiers are already done. The Nintendo "World" Championships has never meant much in terms of titles really. It's the same bullshit titling as any other US-based major sports league, ironically most of them getting much less flack than Nintendo. Notably enough it has more in common with the Pokémon World Championships, which is also exclusively American.

Generally speaking bringing an international focus at this point would kind of be a logistics nightmare. But really I'm the kind of person who's more bitter about E3 in general being a very American-only kind of ordeal, particularly when Best Buy gets things like Smash and Mario Maker demos.

• Thumbs Up 5

NES Remix lends itself perfectly for the NWC so it doesn't surprise me that it's the qualifier. I'm more interested in seeing how the main event turns out, it should be interesting to see how they'd determine ranking in lieu of modern Nintendo games.

8 Best Buy locations is pretty pathetic. It doesn't surprise me all that much that it's only open to US residents though considering most non-residents are most likely those who would plan travels around E3 when the qualifiers are already done. The Nintendo "World" Championships has never meant much in terms of titles really. It's the same bullshit titling as any other US-based major sports league, ironically most of them getting much less flack than Nintendo. Notably enough it has more in common with the Pokémon World Championships, which is also exclusively American.

Generally speaking bringing an international focus at this point would kind of be a logistics nightmare. But really I'm the kind of person who's more bitter about E3 in general being a very American-only kind of ordeal, particularly when Best Buy gets things like Smash and Mario Maker demos.

Japan later got similar Smash demos as well. Can't comment on everywhere else, though.

Oh boy my brother and I are going to have to do a lot of driving to get to the nearest chosen Best Buy. Can't believe it's only being held at 8 locations. Why only 8?

Oh boy my brother and I are going to have to do a lot of driving to get to the nearest chosen Best Buy. Can't believe it's only being held at 8 locations. Why only 8?

Logistics, they put this together in an extremely short amount of time, and while they don't want to rule people out, they can only have so many competitors, also new info

https://corporate.bestbuy.com/compete-and-qualify-for-the-nintendo-world-championships-at-8-select-best-buy-stores-on-may-30-2/ 

Calling all Nintendo fans.

You’ll want to immediately mark your calendar for Saturday, May 30.

Eight Best Buy locations (participating stores listed below) across the country are hosting qualifying events for the upcoming Nintendo World Championships, which will take place on June 14 in Los Angeles.*

If you’re at least 13 years old and want to see if you are one of the best Nintendo gamers, just be one of the first 750 people to arrive at a participating store. Registration begins at 9 a.m., and the event runs from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. The cap of 750 eligible contestants is decided on a first-come, first-served basis.

Registration forms will be available at participating stores and at http://www.bestbuy.com/nintendoworldchampionships (for printing prior to the event). If you’re under 18 (or under the legal age of majority in your state of residence), your parent or legal guardian will need to complete the registration form.

For complete details, see the official rules.

The in-store competition will feature the World Championship mode of Ultimate NES Remix for Nintendo 3DS. Players will take on a series of three score-based challenges in Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3 and Dr. Mario. Games and systems will be provided at each location. Get your copy of Ultimate NES Remix, available now in stores and start practicing.

Eight contestants with the highest scores (one from each participating Best Buy store) will then win a trip for two to LA to compete in the Nintendo World Championships on Sunday, June 14. An additional eight competitors selected by Nintendo will also compete in the Nintendo World Championships. Nintendo will reveal these competitors in the near future.

Find a store that’s near you, enter and maybe you will be crowned the next Nintendo World Champion.

Yeah, with this short an amount of time, plane tickets are murder(but they probably planned the rooming ahead of time)

Actually Carbo, the Pokemon World Championship's main area is in the US, but competitors must compete in tournaments in their region to get a chance for an invitation to the main area the World Championship takes place in, so it really is a World Championship.

• 3 weeks later...

We got an update with the celebrity contestants, and more games including Splatoon

Blastball is fucking metroid football.

Same visor view, same charge cannon mechanic, same HUD design, same damage effect.

Please don't tell me this is our Metroid lol.

They could have taken the gameplay and made it into a portable Metroid Prime. 

The music, the HUD, the charging beam, were all heavily reminiscent of Metroid. Are we sure that isn't a Retro Studios title?

Very surprised that Cosmo wasn't able to put up more of a fight in that last level. Numbers really earned that win, though.

Well, that sure was fun to watch! Congrats to John for winning the amazing golden Mario World Championships trophy! There was hype to be had, maybe not as much as last year's Smash event but it was still great. GG Nintendo.

I've really gotta say. This is such an event. The tense battles, the Reggie VS Hungrybox Match, and those Mario Maker levels, damn. This really is our Nintendo World Championships. It's something I hope we'll all remember seeing one day. It's something that I'd hear people say "Have you heard about that old event?", and I respond by saying "I saw it live. I saw it's glory."

Boy that was a lot of fun, why did this take 25 years to happen again?

Congratulations to Mr. Numbers, I probably would just gave up at that army of fire guarding the flagpole, but you did good sir.

And Reggie ... you did kick at least two stock of ass with a character you only had a few hours to train with, that's worth something I guess.

All in all, I have just one thing to say:

tumblr_npyq896TuK1s72gsio1_540.png

The music, the HUD, the charging beam, were all heavily reminiscent of Metroid. Are we sure that isn't a Retro Studios title?

Very surprised that Cosmo wasn't able to put up more of a fight in that last level. Numbers really earned that win, though.

Retro is doing a Wii U title. I suppose it COULD be a Retro game, but it could just as easily be someone like Monster Games doing a new title with a tiny bit of help from Retro. Yeah, they did a game not long ago, but it sounds like this is a relatively simple game, and it could potentially use Retro's same engine for Metroid (before the current one they're making).

That was both intense and a lot of fun to watch! It was a 25 year wait, but that wait was well worth it! Personality I'd like to see this as a yearly event. Congrats to Mr. Numbers on his victory!

the Reggie VS Hungrybox Match

Reggie obviously let Hungrybox win. That was such a blatant set up.