Awoo.

Gravity Rush Remastered (PS4) - Confirmed (Feburary 2nd 2016)

Ryannumber1gamer

People might still like to take the game with them, if nothing else.

The Vita is portable, you know.

People might still like to take the game with them, if nothing else.

You can stream PS4 games right from your phone now.

I mean, I understand that there are reasons why you might want to buy a PSVita but that doesn't throw away the reasons why you wouldn't want to buy a Vita. It's 2015 and the PSVita is one of the worst selling systems of all time. While it's great that the game is ported, it just paints a really sad picture of the situation. With Sony shutting down studios, third parties disappointing fans, resources being moved from the Vita to the PS4, I'm sure people who own a Vita would be upset that the new IP they helped start up is being abandoned on their platform.

I'm sure people who own a Vita would be upset that the new IP they helped start up is being abandoned on their platform.

I'm one of the people who own a Vita, and I don't particularly care. 

The reason why I don't care is that when I got Gravity Rush, I got a ton of enjoyment from it for a long time. But like every system with every game I've moved on.

Why would I get upset about a game from 2 years ago going to another system? 

I just picked up another game for my Vita last week called 'Flame Over' it's currently exclusive to the Vita (will be going to PS4 and Steam later this year), it's one of the best games on the system and one of the best games I've played in a long time. Will I be sad when it goes to the PS4 and PC? No. Why not? Because I'm enjoying it now, when I stop enjoying it I'll be playing something else.

• Thumbs Up 2

Not to sound flippant but I think all seven Vita owners should get used to it already.

Nobody cares about Vita. Nobody's ever going to care about Vita. We should be happy that these amazing, fresh IPs are coming to a system where people will actually play them - not demanding they stay chained to the Vita until they fade into irrelevance.

I like the Vita a lot more than the 3DS but at some point you really have to just let it go.

Yeah I don't care at all. I'll still get to play this remaster on my Vita in 60FPS anyway if I want to.

The Vita is now mainly a Japanese machine with next to no Sony support. We knew since E3 2013 that Sony aren't gonna bother making new AAA titles for the system. Blame those who didn't buy the system.

I regret that I bought the Vita 2 years ago but I'm not gonna sell it because it still has a huge purpose for me now that I'm a PS4 owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would I get upset about a game from 2 years ago going to another system?

There are people who invested $250 into a platform they thought was going to have a ton of exclusives and great games. To have the price dropped, support removed, and the must have exclusives removed from the system, is it really crazy to think some people would be upset with the situation? To me, I was at one point thinking about investing in a Vita. I'm glad I didn't because the games I want are either being ported over or available on other platforms.

Yeah, I get it. No one cares about the Vita, etc etc etc etc etc. All these chain of events are still relevant, even if you couldn't care.

There are people who invested $250 into a platform they thought was going to have a ton of exclusives and great games.

It does have those. My backlog for the vita is the largest of all the systems I own (excluding PC). Thank you PSN+.

What is this argument exactly? Gravity Rush is 2 years old, it's been free to all PSN+ owners worldwide for well over a year, it's currently $1 on the US store, you can pick up a second hand physical copy now for less than £10/$10. I don't even believe it's still in new print any more.

Yet somehow this is a disaster for the vita/is going to piss off the Vita install base? Will someone explain how? Especially since this barely any game complaint was proved wrong years ago.

Yet somehow this is a disaster for the vita/is going to piss off the Vita install base? Will someone explain how? Especially since this barely any game complaint was proved wrong years ago.

You already justified your purchase. You don't care that this game is getting ported. You don't care if support is dropped. That $250 you spent? You're happy!

You're not looking at the situation objectively. It's not hard to understand why people interested in the system (such as myself) have completely tossed the idea of owning it out the window. You're asking how PSVita exclusives being ported over to other platforms and the Vita sequel being cancelled in favor of PS4 is a disaster for the Vita. From a neutral standpoint, I think you can answer that question.

You're asking how PSVita exclusives being ported over to other platforms and the Vita sequel being cancelled in favor of PS4 is a disaster for the Vita. From a neutral standpoint, I think you can answer that question.

Yes you can answer that, and it's really not as bad as you want people to say it is.

Gravity Rush is 2 years old, it is a cheap game no longer in physical print. If Vita owners wanted this game, they would probably already own it. 

It's a really not a big deal as you want people to think it is.

If this were say a new game like Danganronpa orr Freedom Wars, then maybe it'd be a big deal, but it's really not, it's a 2 year old game which is currently $1. If Vita owners out there wanted the game, odds are they've already got it, for non Vita Sony owners, they probably already have it anyway thanks to that year long PS+ offer. 

If you're trying to turn this into a 'Sony not releasing any exclusives' argument, then that's a completely different discussion. But the argument over is Gravity Rush no longer being a Vita exclusive a big deal? It's really not.

You already justified your purchase. You don't care that this game is getting ported. You don't care if support is dropped. That $250 you spent? You're happy!

You're not looking at the situation objectively. It's not hard to understand why people interested in the system (such as myself) have completely tossed the idea of owning it out the window. You're asking how PSVita exclusives being ported over to other platforms and the Vita sequel being cancelled in favor of PS4 is a disaster for the Vita. From a neutral standpoint, I think you can answer that question.

Who fucking cares?

Yeah, it's a bad look for Vita. It's a disaster for Vita. The funny thing though is that we've been in disaster mode since launch. It's over. The Vita is dead. It's been dead for years. It makes literally no sense to keep its exclusives stuck to the system by ball and chain where nobody will ever fucking play them purely out of principle.

Gravity Rush 2 is probably going to be a PS4 exclusive. I hope it is, in fact. PS4 owners should have access to the first one.

Who fucking cares?

Edit: wait so let me get this straight. so people on the internet make some comments regarding this move (hell, we got plenty of examples on the first page) and others say that they're being silly. I say they're not silly, and explain why, and we're going full circle by going "who cares". what

Edited by Autosaver

I know that unless Gravity Rush PS4 does badly, there's a good chance Gravity Rush 2 will be PS4 exclusive.. and I know it's naive to hope otherwise, but I'd find it really unfair if it wasn't on Vita aswell. I would admittedly be pretty sad if it wasn't on Vita, and even though it's unrealistic to want a Vita version I don't feel it's unreasonable considering fans of the series are also Vita fans.

Because handheld gaming is everything to me and I always love more good handheld games to play, I appreciate every effort made to keep the Vita (and handheld gaming) alive.

• Thumbs Up 1

Handheld gaming is pretty much dead. Sony aborted the Vita and rumors have it that Nintendo is going to try something new next generation. The days of having a dedicated platform for just playing on the go are gone.

I own a Vita (and love it for the record), and not a PS4, and I am still mad pumped about this. More people should be able to play Gravity Rush and if its moving over to a platform with a lot more users I'm all for it. I'd rather see the series prosper and hopefully grow rather than to just stagnate. I know that whenever I get a PS4 I'm definitely gonna buy it again.

I just want to see it do well.

...This is the point a lot of people are making about the Vita. ;)

Even if you find the Vita a disaster, there were a lot of people (again, such as myself) that still had a slimmer of interest in the platform. The slimmer of interest? Gone. "Who cares!" ...Well, this is a discussion forum. If we went 'who cares' to every single topic, 99% of Sonic Stadium posts would probably disappear.

Well honestly, 99% of the internet would probably disappear.

Hey man, you do you. 

Sony's long given up on the Vita so I don't think even they care whether or not people want it anymore. They're just trying to save their IPs from the toxic platform they launched them on. 

It's the smart move.

I know that unless Gravity Rush PS4 does badly, there's a good chance Gravity Rush 2 will be PS4 exclusive.. and I know it's naive to hope otherwise, but I'd find it really unfair if it wasn't on Vita aswell. I would admittedly be pretty sad if it wasn't on Vita, and even though it's unrealistic to want a Vita version I don't feel it's unreasonable considering fans of the series are also Vita fans.

Because handheld gaming is everything to me and I always love more good handheld games to play, I appreciate every effort made to keep the Vita (and handheld gaming) alive.

If porting was as simple as "put a team on it and make it happen please" I'd apathetically agree with you, but since it's not I honestly have to say I actively hope it doesn't touch the Vita.

I want a Gravity Rush sequel that makes the original concept come to life in such an astronomical way that it makes the original look rough, vastly inferior, and... well, if I can be blunt, I want a sequel that makes the original look like shit. That's not only possible on PS4 - I'd wager it'd be extremely easy for the original team to pull off. Not only graphically obviously, but from a game design perspective as well. That isn't really possible if it's shackled to the same system.

I know it sucks. I really do sympathize with what you're saying. But I love games and I love tech - I particularly love, probably more than anything else when it comes to game design theory, the ways in which each one of the two revolutionizes the other every few years. I would absolutely hate to see that held back for the sake of, what, 10% of the people who'll buy the game in the end?

I think it's a damn shame that an impressive handheld like the Vita has been mostly ignored by Sony. =[ At least Nintendo did their best to support the 3DS when it looked like it was going to fall flat on its face...Sony did nothing. I'll be looking forward to Gravity Rush on PS4, but it wouldn't be fair if a sequel was made but only released on PS4 and not Vita as well.

Handheld gaming is pretty much dead. Sony aborted the Vita and rumors have it that Nintendo is going to try something new next generation. The days of having a dedicated platform for just playing on the go are gone.

Handheld gaming is still really popular in Japan, in fact more so than console gaming which is why the PS4 hasn't sold as rapidly as it has in the rest of the world. Of course, because of mobile gaming being super popular in Japan as well it certainly looks like Nintendo and Sony might stop handheld gaming for the time being. And that makes me sad. .-.

I'll be looking forward to Gravity Rush on PS4, but it wouldn't be fair if a sequel was made but only released on PS4 and not Vita as well.

As Sami pointed out, a sequel being made on Vita and ported to PS4 would actually hold the game back. There's a design philosophy that comes to making handheld games. Resident Evil Revelations was great on the 3DS but once it got ported to consoles, all the flaws started to appear. Almost every review complains about it "feeling like a handheld game".

Then there's the hardware difference. The scope of the PS4 surpasses the Vita. The PS3 even slightly surpasses the Vita. There's so much more potential in a PS4 Gravity Rush title than there is in a Vita.

• Thumbs Up 1

If porting was as simple as "put a team on it and make it happen please" I'd apathetically agree with you, but since it's not I honestly have to say I actively hope it doesn't touch the Vita.

I want a Gravity Rush sequel that makes the original concept come to life in such an astronomical way that it makes the original look rough, vastly inferior, and... well, if I can be blunt, I want a sequel that makes the original look like shit. That's not only possible on PS4 - I'd wager it'd be extremely easy for the original team to pull off. Not only graphically obviously, but from a game design perspective as well. That isn't really possible if it's shackled to the same system.

I know it sucks. I really do sympathize with what you're saying. But I love games and I love tech - I particularly love, probably more than anything else when it comes to game design theory, the ways in which each one of the two revolutionizes the other every few years. I would absolutely hate to see that held back for the sake of, what, 10% of the people who'll buy the game in the end?

Actually this ties back well into the discussion we had the other day about the importance of "AA" gaming. Gravity Rush doesn't exactly push the Vita to its limits, they weren't interested in creating a game that utilise tech.

Gravity Rush wasn't "held back" by the Vita's tech because it wasn't aiming high to begin with, and that's fine and ultimately it's something I wish more developers realised is ok to do. It's fine to not put all the tech you can into a game, it's fine to just make the game great.

Any problems Gravity Rush had were to do with game design and not pouring money into it, not system power. I resent the notion that Gravity Rush can only be as good as it should be on a home console because many of my favourite games of all time are handheld exclusives. The DS and PSP had many great games because they were easy to develop for and their users didn't want games that pushed tech. Because of this, developers pushed out endless good "AA" games every single year. Capcom, SEGA, Konami and Square all regularly released relatively cheap to make games on the DS and PSP and some of them were not only relatively cheap to make but also really fuckin good.

Games that don't focus on tech are the hidden gems, it's cheaper to put out new ideas and strike gold with them. So, I'll advocate that Gravity Rush doesn't need to be built from ground up on PS4 to be great.

It'll be built from ground up on PS4 because of money, not because they want to make a game that pushes tech.

• Thumbs Up 1

As Sami pointed out, a sequel being made on Vita and ported to PS4 would actually hold the game back. There's a design philosophy that comes to making handheld games. Resident Evil Revelations was great on the 3DS but once it got ported to consoles, all the flaws started to appear. Almost every review complains about it "feeling like a handheld game".

Then there's the hardware difference. The scope of the PS4 surpasses the Vita. The PS3 even slightly surpasses the Vita. There's so much more potential in a PS4 Gravity Rush title than there is in a Vita.

Couldn't they make it a cross buy game though like so many other games available on both Vita and PS3?

Oh wait...there haven't been any cross buy games for PS4 as far as I know. Maybe this can be the first one though..?

Actually this ties back well into the discussion we had the other day about the importance of "AA" gaming. Gravity Rush doesn't exactly push the Vita to its limits, they weren't interested in creating a game that utilise tech.

Gravity Rush wasn't "held back" by the Vita's tech because it wasn't aiming high to begin with, and that's fine and ultimately it's something I wish more developers realised is ok to do. It's fine to not put all the tech you can into a game, it's fine to just make the game great.

Any problems Gravity Rush had were to do with game design and not pouring money into it, not system power. I resent the notion that Gravity Rush can only be as good as it should be on a home console because many of my favourite games of all time are handheld exclusives.

Mmm, I don't know if I agree with that actually. I remember being pretty impressed with the game when it first came out. To this day it's one of the best looking games on a portable console. It's been surpassed by the cream of the crop stuff like Killzone but it holds up well imo. 

It looks and feels like a console game shackled to a portable. Even the control scheme has to fall on the back touchpad to use a move that would have been easier to control with triggers. As far as Vita capabilities are concerned, Gravity Rush is definitely one of the top tier titles. By Vita standards it is certainly AAA.

And honestly the tech in the PS4 is so astronomically better that even an AA game could easily make Vita AAA look like shit.

Couldn't they make it a cross buy game though like so many other games available on both Vita and PS3?

Oh wait...there haven't been any cross buy games for PS4 as far as I know. Maybe this can be the first one though..?

That's not what I'm saying.

I'm saying that the PS4 has a lot more potential due to its power.

original.jpg

Now I'm not saying you can't create a good game on the PSVita. It's just that.. wow, look at that. I don't want to sacrifice that for the sake of appealing to the 5 PSVita owners. That gorgeous world you see up there? It'd probably look like MSPaint on the PSVita.

• Thumbs Up 1

What Autosaver and I said still applies. There's a big reason why Sly 4 looks and feels miles and miles more archaic than either of the Ratchet and Clank Future games (other than budget) - it was shackled to the Vita like a ball and chain. The scope of the game design was funneled through a tiny little tunnel just to get it running on what's basically toaster level hardware when compared to the vastly more powerful PS3.

Also yeah Autosaver the difference isn't slight at all - even the PS3 is way more advanced than the Vita. I specifically remember a Sony exec saying PS3 level hardware in a device that small would light your pants on fire if you had it in your pocket, lol.

I don't know, Gravity Rush has been playing a big role in this discussion so far, mainly being could a GR2 be made for both PS4 and Vita. That's why this discussion started so I think it's alright to be discussing this here.

I can say myself that I like the Vita more than the 3DS but no matter what, I have to give Nintendo the credit because they actually stuck to their guns and worked to make the 3DS a great console. So much so that even now when the Wii U was doing badly, the 3DS managed to keep them afloat. This is vastly better considering what the 3DS was at launch: Overpriced and with nearly all launch games being crap or ports.

But Nintendo kept working at it. They were determined to fix the 3DS and make it a good system. That's when it happened. They cut the price, they gave out a bunch of exclusive ports of GBA games to people who already bought the system, they began making the system better with even better games and now, it's become such a success that we've gotten 2 upgrades and a downgrade of the system (3DS XL, 2DS, New3DS)

But here's what annoys me with Sony. The Vita has so much untapped potential. It is clearly capable of handling PS3 Games alright. It has so many good features that when worked with can have some very good and creative results (Gravity Rush, Tearaway) and it is just capable of being the best portable experience out there. But Sony just won't bother to actually work towards that.

Unlike Nintendo. Sony in fact even had a bit of an advantage. The Vita may have been overpriced but it was clearly the most powerful handheld console to date. It's launch lineup was actually really damn decent as well, especially with the likes of Uncharted Golden Abyss, and yet Sony will just not put in the effort of trying to fix their mistake. They can't seem to realize that if they just take the steps to make the Vita a good console to get, then they would see it has so much potential.

Give it and it's stupid memory cards a price drop, and actually start work on developing first party exclusives. Look at Nintendo. Wii U was bombing at first but Nintendo actually put in the effort to go and make Smash and MK8 for the Wii U and they made sales pick up heavily.

Do the same with Vita, maybe even do it with series you want to keep on the backburner for the minute like Jak, PaRappa, Spike plus a few big names like God of War and those exclusives could seriously help the Vita out. 

• Thumbs Up 1