Awoo.

Yooka-Laylee (Playtonic's spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie / ONE, PS4, PC)

Junko

Two new stretch goals revealed...

fae4ca2792034f86b17b1aefd18ef943_origina

6e94b628624941235d6217345028d982_origina

No doubt these will get smashed by the end of the day too... seriously, they're going to run out of things to add in at the momentum this is going :lol:

Decided to pledge £20 myself, get me the Wii U version of the game and also I quite like the sound of the Toybox demo so for the sake of a fiver extra I thought it would be worth it.

EDIT: (Half) ninja'd by Tracker!

• Thumbs Up 2

I might pledge £35 for this game. The only reason I've not done so already is cause I'm so strapped for cash right now. It's great watching them go from strength to strength. I'm certain this game will deliver.

MN9 raised a total of £2.53 million in it's full course (Kickstarter only). Yooka-Laylee has not managed £1.08 in less than a day. I can't imagine how they'll finish up!

I'd have preferred an audio commentary in the game like Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut over a Let's Play.

so hey guys how much money did they--

*CRUSHED BY A MILLION POUNDS*

oh

GK Rap and N64 shader sounds incredible! :D

Well after the Mighty No 9 fiasco I'm a bit worried but since we've actually seen gameplay of this game I hope it's a bit of a safer bet then the Mighty was. 

• Thumbs Up 1

...what the hell is an "N64 shader" anyway? It's not like they're actually going to reduce the polycount or anything for it, right?

"We can make the game look ugly, but it'll have to cost ya."

• Thumbs Up 2

It just makes it look like it would on the N64, kind've like in the Halo: MCC.

It just makes it look like it would on the N64, kind've like in the Halo: MCC.

I'd understand why people would be worried about this being bad if it actually was being made by the developers of MN9, but... It's not. Why are people worried this might suck even though it's a completely different team working on it? I'm just curious.

To be honest part of the problem with MN9 is that they only released concept art and not game footage. Everyone thought the CA looked cool but when the final product was made, it looked awful and nothing like what people imagined.

I'm super nostalgic for early 3D video game graphics / art, so I'm interested in the idea of a low poly mode. Assuming that's what they mean by "N64 shader", anyway.

(I was going to say "if we get it" but I think it's pretty much guaranteed the money's gonna keep goin' up, so uh...)

• Thumbs Up 2

As a first-time Banjo player, I've not been completely taken out of the game by the fact that each finger on Banjo's paw isn't rendered fully with four separate fingers. It is technologically inferior, but the art itself is still charming. I don't see the problem in an optional mode that hearkens back to how the source material actually looked.

Yeah it's hard to think what they mean by "N64 Shader".  As far as my understanding goes, generally Shader refers to the kind of... "post-production" effects in games?  Like in Left 4 Dead, turning down the shader setting reduces lighting quality and removes certain "global" special effects (as oppose to dynamic special effects like explosions etc) such as rain droplets on rainy maps.  So the term "shader" doesn't make it sound like an actual low-poly mode, cool as that would be.

They could easily be using it as a catch-all term, though if they were trying to use accessible terminology they could've just said "N64 Graphics Mode" or something if it was gonna be low-poly.

But yeah I have a small fascination with low-poly graphics myself.  Games that let you turn off clipping to fly around and explore the map are tremendous fun for me because I love to see how the low-detail scenery is built up - what elements are simple up close or in fact 2D card-board cut-outs etc.  Even nowadays, despite having a high-end PC that can play most games at full settings, I will usually turn down the graphics to minimum at least once just to see how they scale it all down.

• Thumbs Up 3

maxresdefault.jpg

That is what I expected when I read it. GC = N64 Wii U = Normal Mode

One million. Wowwwwww. 0-0

I'd understand why people would be worried about this being bad if it actually was being made by the developers of MN9, but... It's not. Why are people worried this might suck even though it's a completely different team working on it? I'm just curious.

I was kinda like that at first, thinking "Oh God please don't let this be another MN9 situation" but now I have utmost faith in them to give us something good. Why? Because they actually showed early gameplay footage, which they didn't do with MN9!

• Thumbs Up 1

Being a big fan of the N64 I'm really looking forward to the N64 Shader Mode and especially the GK Rap. This is going to be so fun, I haven't been excited for a video game in a long while.

I'm not too surprised this is popular...Rare's games reached alot of people back then, from my observations I know more people in real life that played Banjo on their N64 than Mega Man on whatever.

I never played any of Rare's 3D platformers (sinful as it may sound, not even Donkey Kong Country) since I grew up on the PlayStation but I should definitely give the Banjo games a shot since they're highly praised (I have a 360 so I should buy them). From the looks of Banjo, it looks a lot more fun and appealing than Mario 64 ever was. Anyhow, Yooka-Laylee has definitely caught my attention the past two days and it surprises me how much excitement this is getting.

It amazes me that Yooka-Laylee has, at the time of this writing, made quadruple its Kickstarter goal in funding; not bad for the first day by any means. Should this be taken as proof by developers such as Activision that perhaps the 3D platformer is in significant demand and is a profitable venture at this point? After all, Yooka-Laylee is a brand only a day old to the public that was created by ex-employees of a company whose heyday was 15 years ago, and in the first day they've raised $1,126,814 in funds. With an established franchise like Crash, the profit margin could potentially be even larger.

N64 shader will probably just remove pretty much all the illumination and give the textures that saturated, blurry look of N64 textures

it's the only thing I can think of

• Thumbs Up 1

That's the real important thing in this stretch goal. Grant Kirkhope has to make a sequel to what he finds to be his most embarrassing work.

The £1,200,000 stretch goal has been reached now as well, so we'll be getting the developer walkthrough and commentary video in addition to our N64 shaders and GK rap.

The question that remains now is... what have you got for us next, Playtonic? :P