Awoo.

Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (oh and DmC Definitive Edition too I guess)

Nix

Okay...this update has won me over...crap, and I already have regular DMC4...

Even more reason to get a PS4. Well, I did guess that my wallet would be hurtin' this year...

Why the fuck did they even bother re-releasing DmC now

Because it's a good game.

What was that? DMC4 is too loud, couldn't hear you

Especially now that we see the extent to which DMC4's bonuses reach, I don't see who Capcom could possibly be attempting to please with DmC remastered other than those who would rather be playing DMC4 in the first place

• Thumbs Up 4

It sold well despite the outrage.

You mean "it's still the worst-selling title in the entire franchise, and merely a fraction of DMC4's sale numbers".

"Sold well?" Yeah, not seeing it. It bombed, and rightfully so.

• Thumbs Up 4

Because it's infamous.

Fixed that up for you

The only reasons why the definitive edition exists is because Capcom is pretty much begging DMC fans to forgive them.

I don't know if it was posted before, but have a trailer.

Summer is gonna Rock 

What was that? DMC4 is too loud, couldn't hear you

Especially now that we see the extent to which DMC4's bonuses reach, I don't see who Capcom could possibly be attempting to please with DmC remastered other than those who would rather be playing DMC4 in the first place

Couldn't hear me? I'll say it again. It's because it's a good game. And I'll keep saying it until it could. Sick of annoying baby haters like you. =/

Fixed that up for you

The only reasons why the definitive edition exists is because Capcom is pretty much begging DMC fans to forgive them.

This doesn't make a lick of sense. If Capcom is begging DMC fans to forgive them, why did they release a remastered version when they can just not do it. That's what they want.

This is the only series where people will complain about a remastering of a video game that improves on the original. :\

Like fuck people, I don't like DmC either but they have just as much a right to reap the profits on it as they do with DMC4.

• Thumbs Up 3

I know DmC is mixed around here but can we not just blindly call it a shit game just because we don't like what it's done to the franchise? Because it's far from a shit game and actually is competent with tight controls.

Also why is this digital only? I've got enough on my hard drive than several more gigs of game to be permanently be on it.  

• Thumbs Up 5

Yeah, sides DMC4 has its problems too like how half the game is recycled levels and bosses and unless they fix those it'll still be quite the slog to go through them.

I know DmC is mixed around here but can we not just blindly call it a shit game just because we don't like what it's done to the franchise? Because it's far from a shit game and actually is competent with tight controls.

The original release was 'competent' in the gameplay department, but only enough to be boringly mediocre. The DE certainly fixed some of its worst problems, but it didn't go far enough in some regards (they should've disposed of the colour-coded enemies entirely, and there's really no saving the depressingly bad boss fights aside from Vergil).

What dragged DmC down to shit level was everything else. The music was wubsucktastic, the story was awful - even dumber than its predecessors and outright offensive at numerous points without even saying anything meaningful that isn't as subtle as a brick to the face (which is quite an accomplishment for a studio who is known for making games with 'good' stories), the characters were equally bad and Dante was completely unsympathetic as a protagonist and didn't even have the cool factor of his predecessor, and Limbo was an interesting concept that was poorly executed and generally also a barf bag of colours.

Improvements be damned, I'll happily endure DMC4's padding again rather than go through the mess that is DmC.

• Thumbs Up 5

DMC4 has shit padding but you get to play through it with one of the single best hack-n-slash combat systems ever made so it's tolerable despite still being non-ideal. 

Basically the problem with DmC is that it's a reasonably competent hack-n-slash but it's like the Devil May Cry equivalent of Super Smash Bros Brawl: it's slower and less technical and for many people much less fun as a result. Add all it's other non gameplay related issues to it and you just have a medicore game on it's own (not even compared to previous Devil May Cry's: if I did that it would be literal garbage) that just pisses off people who were fans before. 

• Thumbs Up 1

"We're making our own version of DMC and we're going to do things differently because we don't care what the fans think about this"

"Sorry nvm actually we're going to update this game to make it play closer to DMC, effectively rendering this reimagining pointless"

I'd rather they stuck to their guns than backpedal on it.

• Thumbs Up 1

It is considered worse but it's more mainstream to shit on the Reboot.

Cry all you want, the Reboot is fine. No one ever played Devil May Cry for the music and no one ever played it for the story or writing (which quite frankly was always terrible), they played it because the combat was great.

People went into this game with the predecision to not give it a remote chance because they felt burned by it as long-term DMC fans. I felt the same way with Fire Emblem Awakening and yet all of you will tell me I'm wrong, and I probably am.

Capcom already said they'd go back to the old series if they ever decide to do DMC5. The game is non-issue, your precious series isn't dead like our other favorite series. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Assuming I hate the reboot or even take issue with it, which I don't

I don't have beef with DmC. I got over it before the game even came out. However I don't consider the re-release to be a worthwhile effort due to its attempts to appeal more to fans who are going to prefer the old games no matter what.

I'd imagine the rerelease was to cater to fans who got into the series through DmC and wanting to know what the older system felt like. Yes i know they could just play those games itself, but its a principle thing.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow Vergil has a fast dash activation, unless all chars have that now.

Looks like he's also keeping his DMC3 weapons.

Lock & Load (Blackened Angel) playing... So... No custom battle theme for Vergil? I'm dissapointed. I expected Divine Hate. Damn though, his gameplay got a lot more CURAZZZY range and speed, plus a far expanded moveset. On top of that he seems to have gotten new taunts, which we can never have enough of.

fyi the blue gauge is the Concentration gauge. The more he combos and avoids attacks, the more force his attacks have. It depletes when using beefed up attacks or completely when hit.

That just looks too insane to keep up with, how was he attacking like 20 enemies at once when he was miles away from them??

• Thumbs Up 1