Awoo.

General Furry Fandom Thread

Red

Figured this could go here. It's an album by some Furry musicians, it's pretty good actually. Been looking for something since Lapfox Trax.

Oh hey, he's awesome! Congrats on the acquisition. <3

You must detail to us how it feels on the inside of the head once he arrives. I remember the maker during a panel said he builds his heads on like ridiculous engineered ninja masks or something.

I'm not a fursuiter Lhancat but... Jesus christ that looks so good and definitely to a professional standard!

I've got some furry style commissions I'm working on coming in soon, so expect them soonish.

Look what's finally done!!!!!

headlarge.jpg

Rest of the pieces here: http://www.bycats4cats.com/old/2015/lhancat/

I simply can't WAIT to receive him and wear it for the first time! :D

Oh, ByCats4Cats... They're good. Heh. They're a local fursuit maker around here actually, go to the meets a bunch. Just, word of warning, by a balaclava. His heads are created using martial arts helmets and they aren't exactly fit to the specific suitor. Sweat in a martial arts helmet is not something you want. Also, they're super heavy to wear, much more than other suits I've worn.

Really don't mean this as a damper on your suit. It looks cool and his workmanship has been getting better over the past couple years. A bunch of my friends have them, and my boyfriend had one as well. It's just that every time he wore it there was a giant mark on his forehead because a piece of metal on the helmet has all its weight applied to that spot. 

tumblr_nmh3ptEFF91skq9aho1_540.png

Completed a commission for SSMB's Uni of Meowkie and thought I'd share it here since it's animal related.

Working on Lhancat's commission next.

• Thumbs Up 4

One thing that I've been thinking about is whether a Sonic fan is a furry or not. I think we are. What about you?

No.

The first and only time I've heard "furry" being used to describe people who are merely fans of a media involving talking cartoon animals and the like is in this topic, and that's because I don't associate with furry culture or communities. And I can only guess that that definition is so broad to try and encompass as many people as possible to shed the unwanted negative stigma. To me, a furry has always been someone who enjoys anthro characters enough to either adopt a fursona, produce/enjoy art and such while engaging in the furry community, role play in some form (cosplay, online etc) and/or get into the sexual side of it. Basically, either you call yourself a furry or you're not one. Merely being a fan of series or two involving anthro characters as a prerequisite doesn't really cut it. Does that make all Spongebob fans furry to some degree?

Pretty much what Blue Blood says here- I've nothing against furries, but bull shit I'm a furry for liking Sonic. Even aside the disingenuousness of trying to claim anything funny animal as "this is now furry and was intended as furry and is always furry", a person can enjoy the artistic product of a subculture without being part of it.

• Thumbs Up 3

One thing that I've been thinking about is whether a Sonic fan is a furry or not. I think we are. What about you?

Hell no.

And don't say "we".

• Thumbs Up 3

No more than liking Zelda games makes me a LARPer.
  • Thumbs Up 4

I get that we're in the end of a furry backlash, but please, if being called a furry for liking anthropomorphic animals makes you cringe, then you are the reason why furries have a bad name in the first place. Furries obviously don't have the interpretative prerogative in showbiz yet, so don't try to detach you from it when you have the chance to make a difference. We're pretty much still a counter culture for better or worse. Mostly worse, as I said before in this thread, misogyny is running rampant in this community and that because our underground status attracts those kind of mindsets right now.

Sorry, just wanted to let that one out.

I'm pretty lost for words. This is so far beyond the realms of ridiculous that I'm not even going to bother trying to get into a debate over all of it. Bloody hell.

Seriously. Enjoy your topic, people. I not going to shit all over it.

• Thumbs Up 5

What.

We're not talking it's wrong to be a furry. We're talking it's wrong to want to shove everyone in your culture even when they're not part of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

But why are we still being depicted as deviants and freaks in the mainstream if it's not wrong to be one? If anything, that stereotyping mindset enables political incorrectness to thrive in the community.

You can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs. In this case, breaking the stereotype publicly and drive out the actual stereotypes from the community. Making a change for a change. Would love that to happen.

Ok. You're now Portuguese, and also a member of the Kancolle fandom.

It's not wrong to be either, you know.

Sami, I've that saved already. Not letting it disappear

• Thumbs Up 5

Dude. You literally came here saying "You. You there. You're a Sonic fan, right? You're a furry, then. Why are you refusing it, there's no shame, why you hating man"

I'm just doing the same thing- you seem to like animated stuff. Kancolle's animated, you're a Kancolle fan. Come on, poi and all!

Join me now in the traditional poiening so we may break the awful stereotypes surrounding our shared culture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DbBsEzlmrg

Anyways, so there's a bit more of an on-topic meat in this post. Since I happen to have Show by Rock icons on me now, would this show be considered furry material, the cgi scenes in particular?

• Thumbs Up 3

Lemanic, you're reaching farther with your logic than Michael Jordan at the end of Space Jam.

• Thumbs Up 8

I think the word ‘Furry’ nowadays seems to be a badge that people give themselves if they find themselves particularly into the fandom. It’s really no different to people calling themselves ‘Otakus’, ‘Bronies’, ‘Whovians’ or even ‘Trekkies’ because they particularly like anime, MLP or whatever.

If people like the fandom enough to call themselves furries, then that’s awesome. But should they blanket the term onto everybody who expresses some interest/appreciation (even if it’s a little more than a fringe interest) because they technically like the same thing? Hell no.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic fans, even ones with fancharacters, who roleplay and/or make art of them, are not inherently furries anymore than fans of Looney Tunes are. You can literally make a web comic featuring nothing but anthropomorphic animals, and no matter how many furries like your work, you also aren't a furry. You aren't a furry unless you claim it yourself- there is no agreed upon definition of 'furry' that correctly categorizes the furries from the not-furries, and there probably never will be- as there shouldn't be.

The furry fandom is a very expansive community that is divided even within itself. No-one really knows what it really means to be a furry, because the fandom's basic definition is so far removed from its draw. Every definition we have is only a guideline for those outside the fandom- a way to say, 'hey, if you like that stuff, you might want to check this out too.' But they shouldn't be used to label the general population outside of the fandom. It just doesn't work that way.

And, Lemanic, furries and the label are still stigmatized at the level they are because, quite honestly, there are still "members" of this disorganized fandom putting their junk where it doesn't belong, hurting other people, ignoring social boundaries, and generally messing it up for the rest of us. Plain and simple. That, and there hasn't been enough time for the initial public opinion to change completely, if it ever will.

• Thumbs Up 6

What amazes me about the fact that this conversation even took place is that I clarified that being a Furry requires self-expression of such, and not just mere appreciation of any animal character. This. This shit right here. This shit is why Furries can't have nice things. >8(

Regardless, I had a pleasant experience today. After an all-nighter and all-dayer working on fursuit stuff, me, Toilynn, and our friend Kit got our butts on over to FWA. It rained on us, but not enough to ruin much. In the fursuit lounge we met Sniper, who is famous for winning an auction of a fursuit at $11,500, Weasyl friends Jasper and Vivian, a Syber suiter, Jazz Jolteon who was willing to buy my pre-made, and a host of other suiters. The communing and sharing of art and suits was fantastic. And me and my cohorts rumped around, chased each other, and performed a little bit. You'd be amazed at how much fun rough-housing still is. xD

• Thumbs Up 2

So I heard a lot of cars were broken into and stolen at FWA this weekend. You weren't affected were you, Nepenthe? D: Around 46-47 cars were broken into and/or stolen.

So I heard a lot of cars were broken into and stolen at FWA this weekend. You weren't affected were you, Nepenthe? D: Around 46-47 cars were broken into and/or stolen.

• Thumbs Up 2

I only call myself a furry because I like drawing furry art, watching animated stuff with anthros and playing vidya with anthros. Not to mention having my own fursona also gives me furry status, though I don't fursuit or anything like that. I'm not as deep into it as most people if you know what I mean, but I feel like I can still call myself one due to my own interests in things with furry characters in it...or anthropomorphic animals if you will. XP

Speaking of which I seriously need to get an updated picture of my Fursona sorted. -o-

Speaking of which I seriously need to get an updated picture of my Fursona sorted. -o-

I... I could draw that for you. I'm... I'm open for commissions... Anyone?

awkward-left-hanging-gifs-2.gif?w=352&h=

ANYHOO! I wanted to share a few con piccas, all taken by mah friends:

tumblr_nmrximyMaP1rpha45o1_500.jpg

Me dead. I think we were waiting for the dance comp to start. At that point my feet were killing me and I was still recovering from near-heat exhaustion.

tumblr_nmrximyMaP1rpha45o2_540.jpg

Looking confused at the Waffle House. You can't simply leave the con back at the hotel. Also, new More Fur Less-esque eyes, yay! Lower the vision, higher the cuteness. (Something to work on in the future.)

FWA_03_zpsmonzxqzs.jpg

Me, Toilynn, and our friend Kit having snagged an op with ever-popular Telephone. We found out it wasn't the owner though. Waaay too short. I mean, look at her; she only has me by like a half inch.

And finally:

MouseyK_Sierra_zpslqojrtuz.jpg

Toilynn and MouseyK. Dem refurbished heads though. New ears, eyes, nose, more shaving, and cute-as-fuck hair on Sierra (and I feel I'm missing things. Elaborate pl0x?). Kit is wearing the head I worked on; slightly updated foamwork, the finished follow-me eyes, a new fleece nose, refurred and shaved, lined a bit more, and redone hair. The original foam base was by Kit herself, and Toilynn was kind enough to do the neck for me because I freaking hate patterning necks.

• Thumbs Up 3

Awwwwh lookit us. I didn't take ANY pictures there, because I suck.

And I cannot make a nose I'm happy with. Noses suck.

Seriously recommend Nepenthe, great art for cheap. 

Meanwhile I got this. Yes, I'm an art whore. 

1428882643.dreamcastfox_streaks_render_b

• Thumbs Up 2