Awoo.

The SSMB Community Game Night - Currently Closed for Reconstruction

Ryannumber1gamer

Heh, Smash 3DS on the other hand......

So far, as a test run this is going great! Unfortunately, Smash 3DS is having some complications (And is in need of more players ;_;  ), so give us time! We've got about 15 minutes til the test run is over, although if you so wish, you can definitely still play with your group if they are still hungry for more Smash!

Alrighty. Update time and boy do we got a update.

Firstly. I want to thank all of you guys who showed your interest, who took part, and just generally showed your support. Even giving us a like on the OP shows your support for the SSMB Community Game Night. 

And following that. I am extremely pleased to announce that SSMB Community Game Night's test run was an absolute success. 

First off, I would like to say sorry for how long it took to actually get the ball rolling on this. But for this kind of thing, me, Klonoa and others had to work hard in order to get everything up and running, and organized, and we had to go through an entire server wipe which forced us to completely remake the thread, which is why we were so happy to be able to finally announce our test night last week.

The reason I wanted to make this was to allow all SSMB members to play games with each other and just generally have a lot of fun with each other, but the main issue was figuring out how to actually set this up between lobby limits, hosting, time zones and the like, but with Klonoa's help, we got all that sorted out.

So where does that leave us? Well. Both me and Klonoa agreed that the turn out for the test night was brilliant. We got a bunch of people who was happy to play Smash Bros and despite a few issues here and there (Thanks Nintendo, your servers need work), it was a whole bunch of fun and I'd hope the people we played with would agree. 

So that's why I'm very very very happy to announce that thanks to all the support we've got. We're ready to announce SSMB COMMUNITY GAME NIGHT AS A WEEKLY EVENT!

Me and Klonoa have been hard at work sorting out all the stuff from the test night and how well it went (in fact, we still are) which is why it took a bit of time to get this update out but we're ready to announce that the first official SSMB Game Night will take place next week. Not a test. The first Game Night.

But that still means me and Klonoa have a bunch of work to get sorted out for next week, including overhauling the OP and Game Suggestions Document along with a whole bunch of other things, we still have work to do. But rest assured as Game Night will be ready for you guys next week! 

Now you may be asking yourself if there's anything you guys can do to help. Well, yeah, of course there is! We'd love to hear feedback and suggestions in order for Me, Klonoa, Lhancat, and the other SSMB Game Night staff members to improve game night. We'd also like to see some support and even by liking this thread and showing that you guys want to see Game Night happen is a big help.

We are also always on the lookout for Host volunteers to host games with smaller lobbies such as Smash Bros. You can also give us suggestions on what games you'd like to play but of course, the biggest help you can give us, is joining in the fun! This is a community event that was created for the sole purpose to allow you guys to have fun with us and each other and seeing that goal realized would be very good.

Other than that, Klonoa will be posting here soon with a updated FAQ among some other details!

Once again, a massive thanks to everyone who made the first Test Night so much fun!

• Thumbs Up 5

I wish I could have joined but the last mintue smash update killed my dreams. I'm up to play some MK7 and LM Dark Moon if those are ever selected for game night

I have both MK7 and Luigi's Mansion 2 so you can add them to the Games suggestion document found on the OP and me and Klonoa will consider it for Game Night!

Alright, again. Thank you so much for coming. It's taken us litterally forever (At a certain point it was almost like Half Life 3!), But thanks to you awesome fellows, we've finally been able to show to you how this can work. We don't even need proof that it was a success, but here are a few stats:

5 Players (Including the host) participated in the Smash Bros Wii U part of the event! You guys must had a hell of a time. 4 Members (Including the hosts) also jumped into Smash 3DS, and despite technical difficulties and a few of us dropping out, we went along just fine. In total, 9 SSMBers totally went out and smashed each others faces today. Wahoo.

Anyway, I'l be announcing a few things:

First, we've already decided next week's game. Whoops, that came around fast. Next week's game is going to be Team Fortress 2!

team-fortress-2-win-cover-front-57805.jp

CRYYYYYYYYYYYYYY SOME MORE!

Since SSMB has a base of former/somewhat current TF2 players, we decided TF2 would be a great pick to continue kicking off the event. Since the SSMB TF2 servers are no longer up, we'll be using na.serveme.tf to reserve a server for us!

Join us on May 1st, 5:00 PM EST  for an epic action of blood, gore and ponies!

Second, I'll be announcing a new voting system that will take place after next week's event.

Something New, or Rematch!

It's like For Fun or For Glory, except much much different!

Here's the gist.

When the voting system takes place, we'll set up a strawpoll (Or, if things get feisty, we'll do it via Status Updates), and you get to pick between which games we'll play! Up to 2-4 choices will be on there, and they will be either something we haven't played before (Something New!), or something we've previously played (Rematch!). You'll have the option of picking past games that have already been done, or the option of going beyond your zone and trying out new games! The Something New category will consist of games we believe either a lot of people have, or games that are easily accessible by everybody.

Here's an example:

Capture.jpg

This vote system will kick in after next week's TF2 event.

Lastly, you may have known that I mentioned that we'll be starting events at 5:00 PM EST now. This shouldn't affect the event much, other than it starting earlier!

Also, here's the Burning Question's FAQ, previously sent to a select few, now available for everybody to see! This should give those interested in hosting/participating some answers.

FAQ:

First up, the Event:

The SSMB Game Night's schedule is going to be 5:30 EST (I'll list other timezones later), and will last for about 1 1/2 hours to 2. You can drop  out at any time if you need to attend to other things, but stay in the PMs and conversation if you are planning on coming back later in the event. See [Hosting] for what to do if you need to leave early but you're the only host.

Hosting:

First, invite members who you'll be playing with in a PM. Both you and the players will organize from there on setting up the lobby and game. The PMs are for conversing about lobby rules, getting the players together and simply having fun. You will be hosting these groups for as long as you are around during the 1-2 hour period. If you can't host due to sudden change in schedule, let your group know in advance. If you have to leave while the event is going on, leave the host duties to someone else. If such feature is not present in the game, report to us immediately and we'll have it sorted out.

If you're hosting, we'd also like you to constantly report us while the event is going on. Send either me or Ryan (Contact Sly and Lhancat for the AWST event) a update on the current group. Let us know who participated in your group and how the group is going. We won't need you to update every minute, but we'd like a check-up roughly half way through the night.

ALSO: If the night is gonna have an event with a large multiplayer game, other methods (Such as the topic itself) will be used for communication. 

Selecting the Games:

The simple gist is that if you can host it, we can play it. The main issue is that not everybody on SSMB has a specific game, so if you wanna host these games, you're going to have to look around and ask if anybody on SSMB plays it. We'll generally be picking more popular games, like Mario Kart 8 or Smash Bros. I'm also looking around for great free-to-play multiplayer games that SSMB can instantly pick up and play. Since the test run is only consisting of Smash, we have no idea what it's like hosting other games (Such as Monster Hunter 4 and etc.), so we're gonna need you guys to help us get other games set up. Games like Minecraft, and TF2 require hosted servers and we would gladly appreciate it if anybody could help us set up these servers so we can all play together in a large lobby.

Also, quick questions:

-5:00 EST? THIS IS RIDICULOUS

This is the time for the US/UK event. Remember, you can ask Sly and Lhancat for more details on the AWST run. Since this is a test run, timing may change depending on SSMB's overall opinion on the time.

-I have a large group of players, but the game doesn't have enough spots to have all of us play.

If possible, ask certain member in the group to host separate lobbies within the same group. If somebody is going to end up being excluded, let us know and we'll try to see what we can do. We recommend having at least an even number of players for games like Super Smash Bros. and Monster Hunter 4. As for games that can't support beyond 10 players (The number of people allowed to participate in a PM), we'd recommend not including anybody above that number.

-Are we going to have tourneys? Tournaments? Anything like that?

I haven't talked to Ryan and the others on this, but if possible we can totally organize that! I'm setting up Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros Tournies later after the SSMB Game Night Test Run, so this can totally work.

-Badges?

The FAQ in the OP of the topic thread for the game night also asks this. We might approach mods on this but until then we should focus more on getting the event up and running!

-I want to participate, but the games being selected are games I either don't own or don't want to play.

If the game isn't free-to-play, there may be complications regarding joining the night if you don't have a game. We haven't fully discuss what to do if you don't own a game after all. Unlike the Movie Night that Felix (And Winston) have set up, players need their own digital/physical copy of the games being played. This will be an ongoing topic between the Game Night Staff (Staff woot woot), but we'll try to select games that either a lot of the SSMB own or is accessible for anybody to get for free (For example TF2 or etc.)

• Thumbs Up 1

I may join, I gave up TF2 after people stopped playing on the FTL 2fort server

Cool. Hope to see you there!

I wish I could have joined but the last mintue smash update killed my dreams. I'm up to play some MK7 and LM Dark Moon if those are ever selected for game night

Dag nabbit

I knew I shouldn't had traded in Luigi's Mansion 2 in trade for a fighting game that runs at 30fps.

I'll dig around for my copy of MK7, but we can totally host it!

Thanks to the Test Night Success, me and Klonoa have been working for the past few hours to get everything up to date and make everything in general a lot more professional.

With that said, here's the new, more professional and tidy, and overall improved Game Suggestions document. The document includes very important Game Night details so it's recommended you guys check it out.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tOxb51eNlbSO5cb1IksyxN-f306UOb3HolvLK6ME53Q/edit?pli=1

• Thumbs Up 1

Daily Reminder that our official SSMB Game Night Launch is this Friday! We will be playing...

header.jpg?t=1423092232

''COME PLAY TEAM FORTRESS 2 LITTLE BABY MEN'' - Heavy Weapons Guy

Anyway, it is this Friday at 5:00EST/10:00 GMT. Hope to see you guys there!

Alright guys, big update time. It's vital everyone read this.

Firstly, the AWST event has been cancelled! Both Sly and Lhancat have got caught up with other things and had to sadly drop out for the time being, so as of right now, It's UK/US Events with me and Klonoa. If you guys are still up during the event, you can of course feel free to drop in.

Secondly, while we for the time being have Klonoa reserving a TF2 server for use for this Friday's game night, we would really appreciate some help. We would like to get a private SSMB server up and running for TF2 for a few reasons. 1.It ensures that only SSMB members can use it. 2. It can be used at anytime by SSMB members, and 3. It allows for longer games and we aren't restricted by any server time limits.

The problem is me and Klonoa don't really know how to actually create a TF2 server so we were hoping you guys could lend us a hand and create a SSMB TF2 server!

Depends if it uses one of valve's servers to make the room or if you have to run the server off your own hardware.

Depends if it uses one of valve's servers to make the room or if you have to run the server off your own hardware.

We're talking about a dedicated server. I'm not sure if you can set custom settings for a valve server.

We're talking about a dedicated server. I'm not sure if you can set custom settings for a valve server.

A quick look on the TF2 wiki says you can on a Valve server.

Instead of joining an existing server, players can opt to create their own servers to host the game. This can allow the host player to set the map rotation, determining which particular maps and subsequent game modes are played. Additionally, other built in settings can be altered, such as gravity, class slot limit, Highlander limitations and so on. Custom modifications may also be installed on the server to provide alternate gameplay.

Doesn't SSMB have a TF2 server?

We did but apparently it got shut down,

Does it say anything on setting up a specific password for the server?

Does it say anything on setting up a specific password for the server?

I think? It isn't too clear if it's only on dedicated servers or Valve servers.

List of Useful Console Commands: 

[...] 

sv_password - cvar for password protecting a server - server operator only

For now, we'll be resorting to na.serveme.tf for getting a server up. We're on the look out for those who can host a SSMB-exclusive server though, it would gladly be appreciated!

Daily reminder that Game Night's official launch is coming up this Friday!

250px-Soldier_of_Fortune.png?t=201112131

ATTENTION!

Your daily remind that we'll be playing Team Fortress 2 this Friday! If you guys need help on getting the game up, let us know! We'll provide instructions on how to get onto the server during Friday. It's going to be our first time using a service like na.serveme.tf, so forgive us should any problems arise.

TF2 is quite a sizable download, so if you wanna participate but don't have it on your computer, then you should probably get the game installed as soon as possible.

Minimum Specs (For PC):

OS: Windows 7 (32/64-bit)/Vista/XP (7 recommended, Windows 8 can also work)

1.7 GHz processor or better

Memory: 512 MB RAM

DirectX: Version 8.1

Hard Drive: 15 GB avilable

The Steam page says nothing on graphics card, but TF2 isn't a heavy demanding game. It should be able to run on most laptops and computers (That have at least these minimum specs and etc.)

1 GB RAM and a Pentium 4 Processor is better recommended for best play though.

Check the store page on Steam for more info! Hope to see ya there!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/440/

• Thumbs Up 1

The grand launch of SSMB Community Game Night is almost here! We're playing Team Fortress 2!

• Thumbs Up 1

Game Night's Grand Launch is tomorrow! Come join us for TF2!

Hey guys, to let you know, the server we're reserving is limited to reservation for 2 hours. If you want the most out of the Game Night's experience, it's best to join right when the event starts.

We need more players for TF2 to be a much larger experience, so hope to see you there!

GAME NIGHT IS TONIGHT! Come join us for the grand launch of SSMB Game Night