Awoo.

Sonic Boom Wii U vs. 3DS! Which do you Prefer?

ishmael205

Remember that part where Stephen Frost said that this was an early transition level and that later ones would be more challenging and actually have branching pathways?

This level already has branching pathways, though. One where you can swing backwards on a hookshot orb to find a collectable, the path below the 2D zipline/the zipline above the pathway, and the ability to run into springs to zipline and collect rings, or jump over them and continue running on the same path.

He might have meant more than what this level contained, but still.

A lot of people say the 3DS version at least looks like a Sonic game/Knows what a Sonic game should have and I call bollocks. Where's the ramps and slopes the springs (in the main levels) the traps even (before you say the further the game progresses the thicker the designs will get I call bollocks again and say that I'm just judging it like how everyone is judging the WiiU version)

And I'm not just saying this to bash it but really mean it. It's ahem not supposed to play like a normal sonic game in the first place and since this decided to go for normal sonic game I'm gonna judge it as one wheras the WiiU is trying to introduce sonic elements into a new type of play so I can't really judge this as a sonic game in the same sense. 

The 3DS version looks alright but nowhere above a blocky stop and go. Loops are purely there just to be there and it's overall level design doesn't look fit at all. It gives you a "run" button that's really out of place due to the as earlier stated blocky design. Things are so close and tight it doesn't really seem needed and even if it's just "Them giving you the option to go fast" it doesn't mean anything if the levels clearly don't call for it. 

Now moving onto the Rival races... THIS is where this game shines... but ONLY as a Sonic game. It's up there will maybe say Generations 3DS? I dunno it looks cool and fun to play through though as it has this amazing Sonic feel to it where going fast and multiple pathways are key but how much of the game will consist of these stages? And if they can do this why didn't they just make a normal Sonic game anyways and put Boom models over it? I'm not gonna lie 1/3 of this looks really good but the rest doesn't look so fun. The tube stages can never get any more fleshed out unlike the WiiU speed stages because of the fact that they mentioned Sonic can't jump. Which means all these levels will be limited to a spectacle based enjoyment. Not saying they can't be fun, but they probably won't get more complex unless it just becomes hectic. 

It's like it wants to be a normal Sonic game which in everyone's eyes is "Yeah cool! At least this version knows what it's doing" even though when looking deeper from a design standpoint it looks like they just made a Sonic game game without knowing the aspects that made Sonic games Sonic games. Which Boom WiiU doesn't do. I'm not saying it's amazing cause it tried something new, no, but that it didn't stick to just making a 3D Sonic game with some of their own designs thrown in. 

If you get what I'm sayin'... um yeh

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the main reason I prefer the 3DS version is because it just looks like a fun game to play. It's different from past Sonic games though it takes cues from past Sonic games. Unless they really did cherry pick the worst out of RoL then I can't see myself liking that version too much. This version though looks polished, apparently controls really well and just generally looks like a lot of fun. 

Not saying it can't look fun but that it doesn't look like a well put together Sonic game in my opinion and if I were to play it, I'd probably be really bored besides the Rival Stages. Because sure it take more notes from normal Sonic but that doesn't inherently make it better, it seems the level design looks clunky in 2/3 of the game so it's like a bad Sonic game. I'm saying that they pretty much made a Sonic game but didn't know how to design levels around it. In my opinion of course. We're entitled to our own.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Wii U game, but probably for bullshit odd reasoning.

To put it bluntly: I haven't seen enough to turn me away from the Wii U title completely.  If anything, I'm interested in it because it's so different than what I'm used to in a Sonic game.  I'm not worried about the 3DS title: it's shaping up to be a great game from all accounts I've seen, so I'm thinking I should enjoy it and thus, I'm not *as* interested in play and experiencing it. 

There's so much hoopla around the Wii U version, I'm actually at that "I wanna play to see what the hell the fuss is about..." phase.  Plus, I adore the characterizations and I'm interested in the story.  As long as they iron out the gameplay, should be a okay game.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Wii U version for me.

I'm not judging the game until I get a chance to play it for myself.

• Thumbs Up 1

After what I've heard and seen about both games, I feel like Sonic Boom 3DS will be a more enjoyable experience. I'm still pretty excited for the Wii U version as well.

• Thumbs Up 2

After what I've heard and seen about both games, I feel like Sonic Boom 3DS will be a more enjoyable experience. I'm still pretty excited for the Wii U version as well.

I hope the Wii U version is at least some level of fun, since I'm not buying a 3DS any time soon.

Though, I didn't mind Lost World as much as most people (a few moments here or there aside) so fortunately I'm fairly easy to please.

I hope the Wii U version is at least some level of fun, since I'm not buying a 3DS any time soon.

Though, I didn't mind Lost World as much as most people (a few moments here or there aside) so fortunately I'm fairly easy to please.

I did enjoy Lost World's Wii U version, the 3DS version still annoys the hell out of me. For Sonic Boom, I'm just going along for the ride! And so far it looks pretty good (especially the TV show).

I just love how the 3DS version of Boom pays homage to the classics, while adding new elements to the mix. Also the fact that it has Metal Sonic makes me more excited.

It's pretty odd that Metal Looks the same, huh?

I suppose he is a bit more...teal?

It's pretty odd that Metal Looks the same, huh?

I suppose he is a bit more...teal?

Hard to say. But remember, Orbot and Cubot also look the same.

IMG_05141.jpg

I did enjoy Lost World's Wii U version, the 3DS version still annoys the hell out of me. For Sonic Boom, I'm just going along for the ride! And so far it looks pretty good (especially the TV show).

Have you had a chance to play the games? =o Were you at E3 or another event?

As for the games themselves: I could see the 3DS version being really fun when one gets into the hang of it, though understandably I had a little bit of difficulty getting used to the controls on the first time around. Sadly I didn't play it a second time when I had the chance.

I'm naturally a tad more biased towards the Wii U version though.