Awoo.

I can't be bothered to care about Sonic anymore.

Cortez

The adventure era was equally aimed at kids. Older kids, sure, but "10 year old trying to be so mature and adult" is not "teen".

There's no shame, you know. You enjoy a kids' franchise.

• Thumbs Up 7

I don't have any shame on that, I just don't think that stuff like an angry god commiting mass genocide is a kid's thing.
Even stuff like Sonic X had sexual jokes on them like Rouge's "Oh so you're into S&M, huh?" so yeah, not exactly every Sonic thing is exclusively aimed at kids.

The "10 year old trying to be so mature and adult" as you say, would be Shadow the Hedgehog imo.

• Thumbs Up 1

I believe the term you're all looking for "family series"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sonic is something like an all-audiences series, but it's bumbled many times into specifically "kids franchise" territory. Those facets make it flexible, but it's hard to tell if Sega wants Sonic to stand alongside series like Mario, Legend of Zelda and Ratchet & Clank, or by things like Angry Birds, Skylanders and Yu-Gi-Oh.

More of that inconsistency for ya. :v

Apparently, people still can't seem to figure out that E rating means for EVERYONE. As in, no specified age group :V

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may not have a ton of merch. The most I own are the various scratched up games I have, some random toys here and there, and my beloved 12-year-old Sonic plushie my Dad won for me at Kings Island when I was four or so - with the eyes nearly faded out, an ear chipped, the buckles gone, any white stitching/fabric having been soiled by tomboyish roughhousing as a young girl, holes everywhere, the right arm ripped...This thing's been well worn. There are better Sonic plushies that have come out since then. But damnation, this toy I can't bear to throw out. Too much of my childhood is associated with it.

And that's the thing with Sonic. Hell, that's the thing with most franchises from my childhood I still love - Pokemon, Sonic, Harry Potter, Disney...I have memories associated with this franchise. Much of it is embarrassing - when I was eight years old and on Prower Resort forums and make absolutely dreadful fanfictions, fanart, and RP entries that make me want to beat my dumbass kid self into realizing that her characters were Mary Sues...Some of it is depressing: playing Sonic 06 for the first time. But some of it?

Some of it is absolutely freaking great in my head. I remember having a tradition when I was young to play Sonic Heroes on Easter, all day. I remember staying up till 3 AM to finally beat Big's fishing levels in SA. I remember watching Sonic Underground right after school in third grade (and crying when they took it off syndication on my local television station). I remember playing SA2 at three, and watching a decade later as my younger siblings began to get into Sonic (even though I had gotten into my 'Goffick OMGZ TWILIGHT IS AWESOME' phase, it still brought a smile to my face when they got really excited at Sonic). And now my memories are showing my then four-year-old sister how to play Sonic: Lost World.

Sure, other interests will take my attention away for a bit - vampires, comics, other games, MyVMK, Hunger Games, Kelly Clarkson...and I wasn't into Sonic for a good three or four years, I'll admit. I wasn't into games at all at that time, and I regret that, since that meant I threw out many of my awesome games (like my Platinum with lvl. 100s, or my wholly complete Sonic Adventure DX).

But once I got back into Sonic...damn, did I get hit hard with the obsession.

And this time, I'm pretty sure I can't stop the shits I give about the franchise. I don't know why. Maybe it's because I'm desperately trying to cling onto my childhood. Maybe it's because it's one of the few ways I can really bond with my younger siblings. Maybe it's because I have so many memories associated with Sonic, with drawing him and wanting to be him since I was little, wanting to be a hero and be someone great and feel worthwhile about myself by saving the world.

Or, hell, maybe it's just the fact that I like playing games, and this's one of the franchises that I generally pick up on whenever I go to Gamestop or 2nd and Charles or whatever. Either way, I care about Sonic - on par with the great love I had for him as a four-year-old, when I got that now dilapidated plush of mine - and I can't find myself to stop.

And I'm pretty happy about that. I like having found friends in this fandom, or doodling the characters, or even just reading some good fanfics. I just like that, and I like this. And despite how shitty Sonic's games have been a few times here and there, I'm going to keep on trekking through.

Unless they pull another 06. Then I'm out before you can say 'But Harley, wait!'. Because goddamn do I not want to have to experience that all over again..

• Thumbs Up 1

Eh, I think I've re-evaluated where I stand on this.

Is it easy to get bored of playing the same games you feel restricted to (yet still love?) sometimes? Duh. That's just natural on my part. I just need a break, and I gotta move on to other titles. That doesn't mean I'm ever going to fall out of the series. If I ever did in the first place, getting back into it would be a sinch.

Echoing the good Dr. Quinzel a tad bit, Sonic has always been a sort of constant variable in my life that isn't going to fade. And why should it? Being one of the first game series I ever technically played, listening to his soundtracks over and over, the dedicated fanbase I'm proud to be invested in, the characters, you get the gist of it.

Hell, every game from this point forward could be utter shit, and it still wouldn't even faze me. The fact that I'm still here on this very site, even when being in a phase of growing tired of his games, should be clear I don't back down from this sonuva bitch so easily. 

• Thumbs Up 2

So, it's been 6 years already since I've started following the Blue Blur (not counting Sonic X), and I must say, sooo many things happened so far, many which I enjoyed, but a lot other which really upset and sadden me.

Unleashed was my first game, and I enjoyed it nearly thoroughly, Black Knight came out an year later, and it was cool for me as well.

I started watching tons and tons of Let's Play's and Walkthroughs of past games, especially the most beloved Sonic Adventure 2 and the universally bashed 2006 (which I like nonetheless, because I think it's only fault was being released incomplete, in every sense, gameplay, contents and story, which I like).

After Unleashed came out, I thought to myself : "If a Sonic-only game is that epic, I wonder how a game with multiple characters playable and similar looks and gameplay would be like !". That's what ignited my interest towards Adventure games.

But then, throughout these last 4 years, that dream game I was so hoping for, never happened....

Sonic Colors... this game has gotten praised by a lot of people. Sadly to say I don't see what's so great about it. Really ? I can't understand how game like this can be labeled as "the great return".

All I see it's 2D game disguised as a 3D game, which the gameplay is nothing more than a watered down version of Unleashed and Rush, filled with nostalgic features just for the sake of it, the Wisps don't add that much, and the story and the character portrayals are simply ridiculous. I don't like a story like this, so bare-bone, so obnoxiously silly,filled with such forced attempts at humor that tries hard to be funny and clever, while they only results in being unfunny, obnoxious and repetitive. It almost looks like it can only be funny to people who hate Sonic for his Adventure content, as the game is making fun of it's essence.

Where's the action ?

Where's the real fun ?

What's with all these stupid unfunny jokes ?

Why Sonic is so unlikable ?

Why everybody likes this bland kiddy game so much ?

One year later, the 20th anniversary, another game came out, and my hopes were unfulfilled once again.

Sonic Generations : Even though i think that this game was better than Colors, I still fail to see why this game is hyped up so much.

This game, even if it can be enjoyable to play, has nothing new in it, there is no sign of creativity except in how they remade some stages.

This only serves to remind me that Sonic games used to be quite fun, I'm only being fed nostalgia here, without real passion in it.

As for its story, it barely exists and Sonic is treating everyone like garbage.

Granted the other characters don't show much personality here at all, but do they deserve to get mocked like this?

Isn't this game supposed to celebrate sonic and the rest of the cast?

Why are they being mocked?

So, after these disappointing games, I left Sonic for a while in bitterness and disappointment, concentrating on something else (Harry Potter) , hoping that next time would have been better.

Then, Sonic Lost World was announced : I wasn't convinced by a lot of things, but when it came out, I thought it was...Okay...ish...too bad this feeling didn't survived for long.

Nostalgic features for the sake of it ? check

More tryouts of new alternative and unstable gameplay, instead of picking an old and reliable one, with more unnecessary and unexplained Wisps ? check

Stripping off Sonic's identity in exchange of Nintendo advertisement (DLCs included) ? check

Terribly written story in an inconsistent tone, with still despicable, petty bully Sonic, incompetent clown Eggman, Tails being totally misrepresented as an arrogant odious brat, Amy and Knuckles being inserted in the plot without real purpose and boring, unfitting, one dimensional new characters (*ahem* Deadly Six) ? check

Then, after Lost World's letdown, a new brand was announced : Sonic Boom.

I ignored every criticism to the redesigns, I liked the look of the game's first trailer, and I liked the show's preview as well. Hell, I was excited like I never was in 5 years ! Finally ! Something new and upbeat ! Who cares of the criticisms ?

All this hype died at the dawn of E3 2014 :

Once another uninspired boring game, made with the very same dreaded and despised "light-hearted kid friendly comedy" useless and unappealing route of the games since Colors, and the characters treated like nothing more than walking jokes/stereotypes. First an authorized Mario bad copy, now an authorized Ratchet and Clank/Crash Bandicoot/Jak and Daxter poorman version, with influences from Heroes and Unleashed.

NO ! This thing is NOTHING like the Adventure games. Period

Then more footage of the TV show came out : ha...ha, Eggman is still a joke, Sonic and Knuckles are dudebros, Marin- AHEM Sticks is the comic relief of the Group, and Lyric doesn't look more theatening than the UN-Deadly Six (Teletubbies).

All I want to know is :

Has the series been REALLY revived with this forced comic, forced light-heartedness, forced nostalgia, forced child-friendly, forced simplicity so far ?

No, the sales of post 2010 games have dropped at a constant pace, with Lost World being poorly sold and received, and Boom already is getting criticized. The success of these games is all virtual. Outside of the Internet, nobody thinks Sonic is in a good shape nor is in good hands. And nobody (outside the fanbase) has found interesting and engaging these last 4 years games. And no, children aren't attracted by this stuff.

Do you know what's funny ? Two things :

1) Games like Shadow and 2006 were blamed on kids, but supposedly "kid-friendly" game like Colors and Lost World are immaculate and must not be criticized ! Mass bipolar disturb/hypocrisy , much ?

2) People who both likes pre and post Colors games still wish to see characters like Shadow, Rouge, Silver and Blaze back, while supporting these kid-friendly games and Boom. People, if you really care for these characters, remember this : these games goes against the multi-character and deep plot-driven trend of Pre-Colors games, and whenever they'll do re-intorduce these characters, prepare to see them awfully treated and misrepresented , as much as the original cast. (and maybe with desolating gameplay to go with).

Just look at Free Riders and Generations to have a taste of what might happen to to them.

Not to mention how unfit are the current voice Actors, but that's another story...

Now...5-6 months left before Boom's debut, the movie is getting nearer, and supposedly, with Boom, the main series might cater to "retro and older fans"...*Sigh* Why I still feel unconvinced by the words "retro" and "nostalgic" ?

Why do they insist so much with this nonsense "roots" thing, if they don't even understand themselves what these "roots" are ?

So, Sonic is far from being in a good shape, and the series' fate seems uncertain. Far from gloomy and near its end, mind you all ! But still ambiguous and difficult to predict.

• Thumbs Up 5

Now...5-6 months left before Boom's debut, the movie is getting nearer, and supposedly, with Boom, the main series might cater to "retro and older fans"...*Sigh* Why I still feel unconvinced by the words "retro" and "nostalgic" ?

I'm excited for Boom, mind you, but even I think that's total BS. Come on, SEGA. You're most likely gonna make this primarily aimed at kids, not for the nostalgia goggles some people have gotten on their heads so tightly their vision's fogged up quite a damn bit.

I'm excited for Boom, mind you, but even I think that's total BS. Come on, SEGA. You're most likely gonna make this primarily aimed at kids, not for the nostalgia goggles some people have gotten on their heads so tightly their vision's fogged up quite a damn bit.

I'm glad you're still hopeful towards Boom (I already said why I'm not anymore), but there's one thing you're forgetting : the kid pandering is just as stupid and nonsensical as the Classic/Genesis pandering.

Here's the article I was talking about : http://www.licensemag.com/license-global/sonic-new-generation-sonic-boom

What Sonic Team/Sega really don't want to understand is that this way they turned Sonic from a cool franchise aimed at everybody, based on action and epic adventures, into a niche sect for demented manchildren who are either still living in the '90s and want "MOAR CLASSIK SAWNIK, MOAR BADNIKS, MOAR GREEN HILL", these people mostly want more games like Generations, and on the other hand, we've got the Nintendo crowd, all those people who are mainly Mario or Zelda gamers, and think that all Sonic games should be like Colors and Lost World.

What these "fans" don't understand is that forcing their ideas into the franchise (overly simplistic light-hearted plots that even kids find repulsing and boring, silly and uninspired art design, 2D platforming), a lot of fans where alienated and left the franchise or they just feel cynical and forgotten.

Until they stop both the nostalgic pandering and the kid pandering, there are non chances for Sonic to be recognized among other gamers.

In a nutshell : If you want Sonic to be good/great again, stop the light-hearted, forcedly comedic and overly simplistic trend, stop the Nintendo/Mario pandering, stop the Classic pandering, stop saying that "Colors and Generations were the right direction" because it's not true, and start being ambitious again.

Put the biases against the Adventure titles, '06 and Black Knight aside, and start looking at their merits.

I'm glad you're still hopeful towards Boom (I already said why I'm not anymore), but there's one thing you're forgetting : the kid pandering is just as stupid and nonsensical as the Classic/Genesis pandering.

Here's the article I was talking about : http://www.licensemag.com/license-global/sonic-new-generation-sonic-boom

What Sonic Team/Sega really don't want to understand is that this way they turned Sonic from a cool franchise aimed at everybody, based on action and epic adventures, into a niche sect for demented manchildren who are either still living in the '90s and want "MOAR CLASSIK SAWNIK, MOAR BADNIKS, MOAR GREEN HILL", these people mostly want more games like Generations, and on the other hand, we've got the Nintendo crowd, all those people who are mainly Mario or Zelda gamers, and think that all Sonic games should be like Colors and Lost World.

What these "fans" don't understand is that forcing their ideas into the franchise (overly simplistic light-hearted plots that even kids find repulsing and boring, silly and uninspired art design, 2D platforming), a lot of fans where alienated and left the franchise or they just feel cynical and forgotten.

Until they stop both the nostalgic pandering and the kid pandering, there are non chances for Sonic to be recognized among other gamers.

In a nutshell : If you want Sonic to be good/great again, stop the light-hearted, forcedly comedic and overly simplistic trend, stop the Nintendo/Mario pandering, stop the Classic pandering, stop saying that "Colors and Generations were the right direction" because it's not true, and start being ambitious again.

Put the biases against the Adventure titles, '06 and Black Knight aside, and start looking at their merits.

Never said kid pandering was a good thing, either, dude.

So, in other words, Sega and Sonic Team should ignore the classic Sonic "fans", Nintendo "fans", and younger "fans" because they are not true Sonic fans and are killing the franchise; and instead make Sonic Adventure 3 in order for Sonic to be good again. Gotcha.

Obviously that was an unfair, biased generalization, but I don't see anything here in this post and the previous one that doesn't do the same thing. I see a lot of scapegoating of those sections of fans of the series as the source to blame for the current state of the franchise.

Also like how you basically say "stop nostalgia/kids pandering" but then basically slam the other games for essentially not being like the Adventure games and even talk about people holding biases against not only the Adventure titles, but also against the likes of 06 and Black Knight, which are objectively terrible games no matter how you slice it.

People say Sonic fans only complain about everything, but honestly from what I've seen Sonic fans mostly complain about other Sonic fans (that or complain about complaining).

• Thumbs Up 8

The nostalgia is one of the reasons why games like Sonic 4 Episode 1 and Generations is so successful to gamers. You may not like it but nostalgia sells and there's still a big market for that.

BTW, you want SEGA to stop nostalgia pandering but in your previous post you're complaining that Sonic Boom - a new sub series that isn't relying on nostalgia and is going for a new look, gameplay, story, etc - isn't like the Adventure titles at all. Wtf? The Adventure titles is consider nostalgic to a lot of people. 

I have to respond to this, but it's important to note for the sake of the point I'm making that I consider the games starting with Unleashed to be some of my favs in the series, and I'm really bothered by this bullshit strawmanning.

What Sonic Team/Sega really don't want to understand is that this way they turned Sonic from a cool franchise aimed at everybody, based on action and epic adventures, into a niche sect for demented manchildren who are either still living in the '90s and want "MOAR CLASSIK SAWNIK,

These days I outright dislike the Classic trilogy, not in the sense that they're bad, just that I always just thought of them as "good" and nothing really spectacular, and recently found I can't really play them anymore without getting bored. Ironically, this is probably why I enjoy Classic Sonic in Generations and even Sonic 4 (well, Episode 2), neither of which I had wanted to happen in the first place, but ended up enjoying more than I thought I would.

Also ""demented manchildren""? What the fuck?

MOAR BADNIKS,

????????

There's a problem with being a fan of badniks?

MOAR GREEN HILL",

Even people who like Green Hill are sick of it at this point. What are you even--

these people mostly want more games like Generations, and on the other hand, we've got the Nintendo crowd, all those people who are mainly Mario or Zelda gamers, and think that all Sonic games should be like Colors and Lost World.

My goodness, you've done it! You've summed up the TWO HALVES of the fanbase! There's no in-between, no individual thoughts and opinions, just two hive minds. Thank you, with this information we'll be able to save the fanbase and thus, the series that us damned Modern fans are directly controlling...apparently, somehow? I guess I didn't get the memo. Oh well, I'll be sure to call Iizuka up and tell him how you feel.
  • Thumbs Up 4

The adventure era was equally aimed at kids. Older kids, sure, but "10 year old trying to be so mature and adult" is not "teen".

There's no shame, you know. You enjoy a kids' franchise.

Sonic was originally intended for all ages from the get go(though, he original creator though of him as mature), he was never aimed for "just kids" until Colors. There are these details you brought up but they brought them together to make the work well for all ages. In short, it's not a "kid's" franchise, it's for everyone. There's a huge difference, though one guy worded it in a sense that worked better, the theory that kids can be used as a term to apply to even adults, however, that's what makes it even worse when you make a series aimed for kids of a much younger age, it ruins it for EVERYONE.

As far as caring for the franchise, I will until it ends, but I'm still gonna criticize when they handle it the way they are now, and still read the comics.

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't care what anyone says, but after Sonic Adventure 2 came out it's been downhill man. That was the last time Sonic was actually good imo.

Not making Sonic Adventure 3 was the biggest mistake Sega ever made. Now they've dug themselves a hole they can't get out of. Sonic Generations was actually good though, it's just too bad they can't make more like that game. And I'm sorry but Sonic Boom just looks silly. Ugh

That being said, I am still a fanboy for life.

Maybe they never made an SA3 cause they feel that the ending is fine the way it is and it doesn't need a sequel. Besides, Heroes and Shadow pretty much started where SA2 lefted off anyway. If they've made one now I can see it being it's own game and kinda unrelated to the first two titles.

I can relate, I mean I've been gone from here for probably over a year now and just came back after deciding to give a Sonic game another try! 

For me, despite the missed opportunities in Generations, it was the series most recent high point and I think part of that was because it was on the more "mainstream, dominating consoles" and then suddenly, SEGA become Nintendo only - as if they were actually part of Nintendo. Where they release their games only on Wii-U or 3DS which is pretty much their way of saying "if you don't like it, suck it". I personally don't want a Wii-U, at all! So I'm stuck with watered down titles on the handheld, fair enough I still get to play them. But multi-format Sonic titles, while maybe glitchy still unified the fanbase in a way that I feel none of us notice, we take it for granted and expect every Sonic title on ALL consoles. Usually the only thing we're left with now on non-nintendo devices is ports...

• Thumbs Up 1

Recently, my interest in Sonic has lulled somewhat, mainly because I have not been able to justify getting a 3ds or Wii-u. My fairly recent wedding and honeymoon was expensive. And now, I'm paying off debt and facing house and car repairs.

However, when I'm able to spend money on things I don't need again, I'll be coming back to Sonic with a vengeance. I know Lost World has had a lot of mixed reviews, but I'm really looking forward to it.

In the meantime, Zelda and Metroid games, as well as Xenoblade Chronicles has been keeping me busy.

At this point, my breaking point will be Sonic's true 8th gen debut on X1/PS4. Sonic Team can't ignore the added processor power and sales numbers forever.

• Thumbs Up 2

The nostalgia is one of the reasons why games like Sonic 4 Episode 1 and Generations is so successful to gamers. You may not like it but nostalgia sells and there's still a big market for that.

BTW, you want SEGA to stop nostalgia pandering but in your previous post you're complaining that Sonic Boom - a new sub series that isn't relying on nostalgia and is going for a new look, gameplay, story, etc - isn't like the Adventure titles at all. Wtf? The Adventure titles is consider nostalgic to a lot of people. 

Strange...Last time I checked, everybody hated S4E1, for being a shameful mockery of what made the Classics good. So I don't know how did you came up with the conclusion that it was successful, when it wasn't.

As for Generations, yes, it was a critical success...and that's it. Generations was loved by the critics, and thus, everyone started parrotting them. "OMG DIZ IZ DA BEST SAWNIK EVA !1!!1"

Let's be serious : Generations is short, repetitive, has barely a story, and the gameplay divides into a watered-down mix of Unleashed and Colors, while Classic Sonic was yet another mockery of the Classic games.

And next to Lost World, Generations is the Sonic game that sold less in last years. Compared to the millions of copies of Unleashed and '06 (both reached Platinum Title), Gens sold pretty poorly worldwide, a bit less than 2 millions. It's a fictional success.

I'm  complaining about Boom because it was presented as something new, but it isn't. After a Mario Galaxy rip-off, now a Ratchet and Clank All 4 One poorman version.

And what's so different between Boom and post Colors games, anyway ?

More god awful writing/voice acting and the characters acting and behaving like retarded morons.

More crappy music.

More uninspired gameplay : one the Boost to win gameplay, only less controllable and on-rail. The other, Werehog x4, only slower, with 2D and more boring.

The story will be probably not too different from Colors or Lost World, judging by the trailers and footages.

Where are the only 3D, the balance between light and dark of the story and the separate stories for every characters like the Adventure games ? If it can be compared to other main games, it looks more like a watered-down blend of Heroes and Unleashed.

The only two things left in commons are the somewhat grittier ambientation (that doesn't look like Sonic, more like Ratchet and Clank and Crash, and yes, I know they're the same developers), the multiple characters and the Hub worlds. 

By Sega/Sonic Team's standards, usually, nostalgic for them are the Classic games for Genesis, while the Adventure games are considered by them as "Modern". At least that's what I understood. Whether they'll learn there's a huge demand for the Adventure trend to come back, it's up to them.

• Thumbs Up 3

Strange...Last time I checked, everybody hated S4E1, for being a shameful mockery of what made the Classics good. So I don't know how did you came up with the conclusion that it was successful, when it wasn't.

As for Generations, yes, it was a critical success...and that's it. Generations was loved by the critics, and thus, everyone started parrotting them. "OMG DIZ IZ DA BEST SAWNIK EVA !1!!1"

Let's be serious : Generations is short, repetitive, has barely a story, and the gameplay divides into a watered-down mix of Unleashed and Colors, while Classic Sonic was yet another mockery of the Classic games.

And next to Lost World, Generations is the Sonic game that sold less in last years. Compared to the millions of copies of Unleashed and '06 (both reached Platinum Title), Gens sold pretty poorly worldwide, a bit less than 2 millions. It's a fictional success.

Clearly you're just twisting the words "success" into your own definitions.

I don't think Generations is great (and I'm far from the only one who thinks so) and I massively dislike Episode I, but I'm not going to ignore the fact that people actually like those games or that they each sold a million copies on their respective platforms combined. The fact that you're trying to belittle Generations' two million sales milestone just shows the incredible bias you have against this game for not matching your preferences.

And what's so different between Boom and post Colors games, anyway ?

More god awful writing/voice acting and the characters acting and behaving like retarded morons.

More crappy music.

The fact that you're describing the characters in those games as "retarded morons" makes me question whether you actually watched cutscenes of the game or are just riding on the still-popular bandwagon that Sonic Lost World is (somehow) the worst Sonic game ever, bar none (despite what any Sonic fan -or any gamer worth his salt- who has played or even heard about Sonic 06 will tell you).

And the music for the likes of Colors and Generations is far from what I'd call terrible. Lost World too, though I think it's one of the weaker soundtracks in the series.

More uninspired gameplay : one the Boost to win gameplay, only less controllable and on-rail. The other, Werehog x4, only slower, with 2D and more boring.

Lost World's gameplay is practically nothing like the Unleashed/Generations gameplay so this makes no sense.

By Sega/Sonic Team's standards, usually, nostalgic for them are the Classic games for Genesis, while the Adventure games are considered by them as "Modern". At least that's what I understood. Whether they'll learn there's a huge demand for the Adventure trend to come back, it's up to them.

Both of the Adventure games are over ten years old. They are not modern anymore.

And while I would prefer to see a return to some elements that the Adventure series had, I'm not interested in a full-blown return to those period of games. Scrapping the genre roulette gameplay and mandatory minigame grinding introduced with those titles was for the better, and I don't want those back.

• Thumbs Up 3

I have a philosophy.

The current direction of Sonic might be questionable, but it doesn't mean that games and stories of the past are now erase from existance!

SA1, SA2, Heroes, Unleashed, Secret Rings, Black Knight, Rush, etcetera are still on our shelves, still ready to be played!

Their cutscenes are still ready to be watched and enjoyed!

Same for any other form of media: our favourite cartoons, anime, oav, comics etcetera still exist!

The "bad movies", "ugly games", "unfunny jokes", will never ruin what the Sonic Franchise did right. At least for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

They're not considered Modern. Sonic Team considered them to be part of the Dreamcast era in Sonic Generations. The Modern era was said to have started with Sonic 2006. However, a new generation has started, so that should change.

Anyway, it's quite a shame. From the consecutive commercial failures of the Game Gear, Mega CD, Nomad, 32X, Saturn and Dreamcast to the grand decline in the quality of their games, Sega, as a whole, has been a huge mess. It's no surprise so many people have given up on them. This is just what happens when you put out failure after failure.