Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

I definently can't but may I ask why you want it ranslated.

Because I thought it was a new interview and there was no English version?

This IS WAY Better than Sonic Boom XP
While, you wait, might as well try it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SepqUSclx6w

Though To be honest, from what I've seen the New Sonic Boom Gameplay Is Looking Pretty Awesome. However, because we only "saw"  the game, I can't say for sure if I'll like it or not. You know what they say about your eyes deceiving you.

Here's one from ScrewAttack;

I...actually haven't seen it myself yet.

Does anyone really care what Screwattack has to say about Sonic Boom? :/

I...actually haven't seen it myself yet. 

He starts off by having no idea if he likes it/knows what it is.

Then says 'it's not a speed game or a platformer game.'

Calls it a 'co op beat em up adventure.'

4 player competitive mode confirmed.

He says it's a Sonic game, goes into it wanting a Sonic game.... but it's not. So there's that.

He says 'It's not bad' but... yeah just listen to his voice you can tell how he really feels.

He mentions how we all hate green eyes.

Conclusion. 

I don't think he likes the game, and everything about this guy screams "I am a knob."

Yeah why?

I really dont see a problem with what he said. He said its different from a sonic game and good for what its going for. Well besides sayingits not a platformer.

Anyway I gotta admit I wish I could know what went through his mind when he was expecting a sonic game and got this.

We've had month to see it coming, but he just got thrown into it.

Wait....that guy's face...

fmf_screenshot_32.jpg

....only thirty years younger.

I think GameXplain hit the nail on the head for me when it comes to impressions though. I completely agree with what they said on both versions.

• Thumbs Up 1

my Spanish isn't that good, but I did heard something about Metal Sonic and that you need the crystals to unlock him.

Where abouts is that in the video?

I still can't get the fact that the biggest complaint is "Not- traditional- sonic game" outta my head. I get what we've talked about it thick and thin, day and night. But this it still really confuses me. If someone could explain, in depth, not meanly, I'd be happy to reconsider but the guy in that video harps on "this is not what I expected out of my Sonic game"--- "This isn't your traditional, Sonic game" It's not supposed to be. There's a difference between completely changing your gameplay throughout each adventure and sitting down and having a cohesive idea and executing. This wasn't meant to re-invent the Sonic gameplay but do something completely new with it while keeping aspects of the others. Keeping aspects of the others =/= making a new traditional next sonic team sonic game :/ Someone please, I'm tearing my hair out, explain to me. (Nicely, if possible)

EDIT: Re-invent was probably the wrong word because I basically described re-inventing. But what I mean is- It wasn't meant to rebirth the old Sonic but make a completely new one that keeps points in from others.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why are people complaining about this not being a Sonic game.

Because that's what people want and expect? 

It's got Sonic in the title, You expect a number of things to go with that, to be associated with that. Just as you would with any other sequel or title which shares a name associated with it. Even Bioshock Infinite was criticised for using the name Bioshock to sell the game when it had very little to do with the Bioshock universe. Same thing happened with Command and Conquer Generals & C&C 4. 

In fact the same thing happened with Sonic Chronicles.

ProJared hit the nail on the head when he said 'it feels like they made one game, then Sega said 'put Sonic characters in it.' TSS Staffer Jason posted one or two things in the staff area about Boom, yes he was at E3 and yes he did play it and even did a hands on article for us. Now I'm not gonna copy and paste his comments unless he wants me to, but he said very similar complaints about it with regards to what the game feels like.

Here is one thing which is an example of the expectation vs reality.

The game is called Sonic Boom... what is a Sonic boom, it's the sound you hear when you break the sound barrier. What is a Sonic Boom in the world of Sonic? Well... aside from being an awesome song, you associate it with speed, going fast, being fast.

But... the gameplay is a slow brawler? How does that even remotely fit with expectations? 

Just take a look at the gameplay for the 3DS version and the title of the game, it fits. But Wii U version? Not one bit.

• Thumbs Up 6

Insert question here

This does alot more than not be a traditional sonic game. sonic colors and sonic adventure werent really traditional sonic game.

The both very much reinvented sonic gameplay. But what stopped us from saying they werent sonic games?

They both had speed. And everytime there is a large chunk of gameplay that is slow we all say it doesnt feel like a sonic game.

Im not saying it has to be anywhere near sonic unleasheed or lost world speed. But when the game doesnt atleast give you the feeling that you can go fast its just not much like a sonic game.

Now you can say this isnt trying to be a sonic game. But when you have sonics name in the title and sonics face on the box you would have to be crazy to think everyone is just gonna accept it.

So long as the combat isn't overly tedious, I'm so far not seeing too many issues.And indeed, I don't think it is. The Werehog stages dragged on and on and on. Killing the swarms of enemies was easy enough for me with this, and that leaves me room to be optimistic.

Indeed. Also it appears that taking out the snakes before they reach the robot armors will also reward the player with a quick clean fight out too.

*post*

But the overall initiative was to make a new Sonic. Just because something is labeled with a name doesn't mean they can't overhaul and redesign. Unleashed is a mighty fine example. Sure it has speed but it's a far cry from what some wanted in a Sonic game. So is this gonna be like Unleashed where people realize they weren't trying to continue the old gameplay and they wanted to do something new? Or is this gonna be bashed for something it's not even trying to do. I get making something drastically different then slapping a name on it is bad but I'm not seeing this in Boom besides combat. If it's just because of the speed then what have we come to expect from Sonic. Here's a list of what I can think of that wasn't included in Boom in some way or another.

- Item Boxes

- Checkpoints

- Spin jumping on enemies

BUT This IS NOT trying to be a normal Sonic game. It's not trying to build off of the current Sonic games. It was trying to do something new with the series. Doing something new doesn't equal Making a completely different game and put Sonic on it. This isn't even the "it's not meant to be a Sonic game argument" I'm making here but what stops someone from trying to put a new spin on something. I see if this was ST saying, "Hey this is the Next Sonic Game!" Then enter Boom, it's like what? You never said you were trying to put a new look on Sonic gameplay. But for Boom its like putting a twist on a classic food. If you make spaghetti but with white sauce instead of tomato, whether or not it taste good is up to you, is it automatically not as good because it's not the traditional spaghetti? no. Bad analogy but what I'm saying is taking a different direction doesn't = not Sonic. It's like I don't know but what makes it that trying something different makes it not Sonic when that was then intention, To make it not like normal Sonic! If I drew a picture but then took a completely new spin on it but still keeping tidbits of that picture so you could still distinguish it as the old one then I can title them the same thing.

~ I'm not good with analogies or words, can you tell yet? 

• Thumbs Up 2

*post*

And my argument can be laid to rest. I understand now and definitely get where you (all) are coming from.

Tons of words

Let me try to make it short.

No part of the main game feels like im playing as sonic.

The combat is slow and the platforming is slow, you say doing something new doesnt make it not a sonic game and you're right but doing something new that has no element of sonic obviously does.

It would be like making a tetris game that plays like bejeweled.

There are a million was to make combat an platforming feel fast and exciting but they did non of them.

You cant show me jak 3 tell us its a spinoff and expect us to actually call it a sonic game when there is no reason to.

*post*

Eh. That still doesn't cut it for me. Because it DOES have elements from Sonic games. Just, maybe, too many of em. But as I said above Rusty explained perfectly. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Eh. That still doesn't cut it for me. Because it DOES have elements from Sonic games. Just, maybe, too many of em. But as I said above Rusty explained perfectly. 

I suppose it does have platforming and some bounce pads but that really was never what made a sonic game sonic.

Anyway didnt see his post since I had already started typing but I agree with him it just looks like any other generic brawler with nothing that makes me think its a sonic game.

I suppose it does have platforming and some bounce pads but that really was never what made a sonic game sonic.

I could have thought this was brought up before as a point opposing Boom, now being used as a neutral it doesn't matter. Not to you in particular, but I really thought I saw that before and someone said, "Where are the springs, dash pads and something else."

Also how isn't platforming what made Sonic? It was all about how unique his platforming was in the first place. Please explain.. 

I always thought because how unique his platforming his was compared to others of his day what made him stick out from the rest and made him iconic, besides the whole cool aspect. Gaming wise it was all about how he did his platforming the made him a must-play.

I really dont see a problem with what he said. He said its different from a sonic game and good for what its going for. Well besides sayingits not a platformer.

Anyway I gotta admit I wish I could know what went through his mind when he was expecting a sonic game and got this.

We've had month to see it coming, but he just got thrown into it.

Of course it's different from the Sonic games that we've all grown up with. Mind you, I didn't actually see the video because was expecting for him to say things along the lines of "It doesn't play anything like a Sonic game therefore it sucks!" and "why do we have to play Sonic's shitty friends?!" (Or am I thinking of IGN?) and "Sonic is all about speed!" from almost about any other big gaming website's preview from the game.

That's the problem, he went into thinking it was gonna play just a traditional Sonic game, well... yes and no. Yes because the speed sections are like the traditional Sonic games with speed platforming. No because BRB wanted to shift the focus onto combat and exploration.

That's also something I kept noticing from people who constantly say "It should be all about nothing but speed!" repeatedly and it's really annoying the fuck out of me. These people seriously need to learn that the Wii-U version is not going to be like the "traditional" Sonic game they've played and treat it like a different take on Sonic. If it's "speed platforming" that they want, then play the 3DS version and be happy, that's it.

• Thumbs Up 4

How about the people saying that even as a brawler it's not fun or interesting and is just like any licensed ps2 platformer?

I could have thought this was brought up before as a point opposing Boom, now being used as a neutral it doesn't matter. Not to you in particular, but I really thought I saw that before and someone said, "Where are the springs, dash pads and something else."

Also how isn't platforming what made Sonic? It was all about how unique his platforming was in the first place. Please explain.. 

I always thought because how unique his platforming his was compared to others of his day what made him stick out from the rest and made him iconic, besides the whole cool aspect. Gaming wise it was all about how he did his platforming the made him a must-play.

What I mean is yes sonic was a platformer but what was the thing that made him different from other platformers?

He has speed and acceleration.

That was what always made sonic sonic and if you take it away it stop being a sonic platformer and starts just being a platformer.

Sonic boom isnt a fast adventure game or a fast brawler. Which once again make it feel nothing like sonic and just like any other .

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic was always about speed. The old games were about earning the speed, the most recent ones about working not to lose it, but always everything as a means to and surrounding speed.

When the first thought here seems to have been "ok, how can we remove speed from Sonic", that's a red flag. Not because it must always have speed, but because "why would you specifically go "ok, how can we remove what the franchise is about"

• Thumbs Up 1

Speed was a reward not "the point" per say. It was about more than just the speed. But it seems people's arguments are getting more and more circumstantial. At one point this was the MAIN argument against Unleashed and Boost games of the sort and even SA2 to some extent. 

But now it's MAIN praise for these games. Please (not to anyone specifically) make up your mind fans of Sonic. I guess it's more about what floats peoples boats but it seems it's in a "what I want" sort of flip flop. I want Sonic to be faster? Sonic games were all about the speed. I want to be able to explore more? Sonic wasn't truly about speed in the first place. It gets frustrating as when it's one way too far of the middle ground the arguments show up using the same thing which was bad to turn it into being good but then vice-versa.