Awoo.

30 Days of Video Games - BONUS: Why Do You Play Games Pg. 142

Sami

Favorite Story
This game speaks for itself
ConkerLogo.jpg

Favorite Moment
Two words. Final Boss.

1431471-final_battle__super_mario_galaxyhqdefault.jpg 500px-Magolor_Soul.png Doomsday.png

You reach the end of your journey and finally meet the bastard that's been giving you hardships the entire way, and get to beat the shit out of him. There's nothing more satisfying than that, in any game.

Day 15- Favorite Moment

Rail_bridge_supports.jpg

"Don't look down, don't look down..."

As I said, I was only WATCHING my Dad play but still. The Bridge. It's so intense! They did really good showing the fact that you where up REALLY high, and one wrong move and you could go falling a few hundred feet into the ocean o.o

Also, Ravenholm was petty awesome as I remember. Along with anything involving Alyx and DOG.

Cynthia_Feelings.png

^ Fighting Cynthia. Every time. But I mentioned that already.

HGSS_Prerelease_Cynthia_Arceus.jpg

So instead, I'll mention the moment in HGSS involving her, Arceus, and the creation of Dialga, Palkia, or Giratina in an EGG! It's just so... mystical and epic and awesome. Just... watch it for yourself. I can't really describe it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 15 - Favourite Moment

I'm gonna have to mention Portal 2 again for this one. laugh.png

Spoilers ahead, so be cautious.

Wheatley Turning Evil

Okay, so you're making it to GLaDOS's lair. You've got Wheatley on your side. It's time to end it. You quickly whisk past GLaDOS's traps and make it to the button. Shortly afterwards you replace GLaDOS with Wheatley and it's over, right? Wait. No... W-what's going on?! Wheatley is turning evil? Yes. After gaining mass power, Wheatley has turned over to the dark side. And it's hilarious.

And this is when the game really starts picking up. Once this scene is over, you form a team with GLaDOS and work together to try and stop Wheatley from fucking up Aperture Laboratories beyond belief. Now believe it or not, this plot twist came to me as a big surprised and I honestly didn't think the game would extend for another couple of hours. And that's what it made it so awesome to me. It's a pretty cliche concept when you think about it, but they pulled it off so well in Portal 2. 

I guess what really makes this one of my favourite moments in gaming is how well they executed the twist. And on top of that you got to work with your enemy, which opened up opportunities to create some great humour. I love this moment so much, that whenever I go back to play Portal 2, I start from this point on in the game, as this is when things get really interesting. I just love everything about it. The dialogue, the execution, the consequences. It's all perfect. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Day 15 - Favorite Moment

Phoenix Wright Series - Cornered/Breakdowns

http://youtu.be/kLZ-Qu5dfgI

You'd done it. You've discovered who the real culprit is, cross examined, shot down the prosecutor's rebuttals, and used your special abilities to reach the climax of the case. The only thing left to do is...

WATCH THE CULPRIT HAVE AN EXTREME MENTAL/EMOTIONAL BREAKDOWN

Some of these are funny, disturbing, and extremely over the top. I think the best one is from the last case of Dual Destines but I'm not going to spoiler any of them, because once you see them, you know who the culprit is (although in some of the cases, they outright show you who the culprit is at the beginning).

• Thumbs Up 1

This is a spoilery answer for The Walking Dead, so...

The ending to The Walking Dead is probably my favourite, if not one of the saddest, moments I've experienced in video games. In this last half an hour, you are challenged on your morals by a stranger you never learn the name of - after this, you try to escape with Clem and you spot the reason for your journey. Her parents stand there zombified and you collapse before telling her to not to look. Waking up in the building gives you your last moments with Clem. 

In these final moments, all the time you've spent with Clem cumulates in an emotional conversation where you encourage her she can go on without her. All the heartwarming moments and bonding you had with Clem hits you like a ton of bricks as you slowly slip away and she's left with the awful task of killing you or leaving you. Never in a game had I ever felt this way about characters, or really in fiction in general. After your final request, you hear the sound of a gun shot or the door close, and the credits roll with a wonderfully bittersweet country song. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Day 15: Favorite Moment

GFqXrwv.png

"Punch the Shark".

That is literally the quest name for this game's Grand Finale.

Saints Row is a hell of an oddity as far as new series this last gen goes, and I consider it to personally be the best new franchise introduced this last generation. It is, in a way, the Evil Dead of video games. Most people will be fond of the series as a whole and feel that the series got progressively wackier with each new installment. Despite that there's no denying that the games as a whole serve to progressively become a bigger adventure that revolve more and more about the characters. Many people will say Saints Row jumped the shark with the third one, but the fourth one rebounded from that shark at full force and showed everyone exactly how it's done.

Saints Row IV is the culmination of every ounce of insanity and identity/soul searching the series has been building up for four games, and despite being the most audacious title in the series it comes out easily feeling like the most confident, most grounded the series has ever been, ironically enough. Maybe it's because for the first time, instead of dabbling with trying to be an anti-thesis to GTA, Saints Row finally settles comfortably with itself and knows what it wants to be, as well as finds more space to leave the characters to their own devices. Throughout the games we've watched our lead character go from silent protagonist, to a villain protagonist, to a deadly anti-hero and now to a larger-than-life heroic sociopath. With the new setting that leaves everything revolving around the characters, we learn more about everyone else as well and get to bond with our main circle more, and the fact that these characters are still rebelling against the system they're in means that it is one of the few times we get a super power/crime/open world simulator where the characters have some goddamn levity in it and doesn't try to make you feel bad or restrict you in any patronizing way through dreary settings like in GTA, Prototype and inFamous (even if the latter does a good job telling its own story).

Building up to a climax where it's now become the Saints versus the Universe the simulation has us go through an incredible epic of a mission where it's a mad race against the simulation and an action bonanza, including reliving many now-nostalgic memories of the game's preceding it. In many ways it honors it's legacy at the same time while looking forward to what's in store to serve as an amalgam of everything outlandish the series has managed to get away with.

And then there's that moment, that puts an end to the game-long debate, readies you up for the upcoming superpower smackdown final boss encounter and kicks in with one incredibly unexpected nostalgic track from the Transformers animated movie.

"Power armor".

"Be a badass"

7grHgt4.gif
  • Thumbs Up 3

Favorite Moment

There's so many to choose from, but what comes to mind in recent memory is this cutscene from Xenoblade Chronicles. It's a spoiler I think (probably something that happens 2/3 of the way through) so proceed at your own risk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzMa-3ir57g

When I think about Xenoblade Chronicles, this moment in particular strikes me vividly. Just the feeling that Shulk and his companions have seemingly reached the end of their journey. Confronting the one who started all of this mess, the instigator on what happened on the Bionis. The mech that Egil rides on looks very intimidating and badass, so fighting the huge thing at last was a huge thrill to me. Egil taunting the party after he struck the Bionis really made me believe he was truly evil. Shulk's world is at stake and the party must stop Egil to stop his mass genocide spree. I thought he was the final boss when I first fought him, but the couple of twists at the end of this fight were truly mindblowing. In hindsight, the typical boss music gave it away that he isn't the final boss but the events leading up to this made me truly feel like I was reaching the end. Egil may have had some good intentions for his motives, but that doesn't justify destroying an entire world for them.

I'm not sure why this confrontation struck out to me compared to the other RPGs I've played, namely Tales of/Final Fantasy/Chrono Trigger, etc. but I just feel so much emotion and thrill in this moment.

Day 15: Them events that make ya feel all tingly inside

This post contains spoilers for Portal 2...

portal2.jpg

1795685-rattmann_02.jpg

REN'S FAVORITE MOMENT: LUNACY (PORTAL 2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR1QGbfPHiI

So yeah, Wheatley tries to kill you multiple times. During the final showdown, you get GLaDOS back in her spot, so all that's left is to press the button to get her back in control...but then all of a sudden-BOOM! Wheatley booby traps the button and you go flying back. As Wheatley gloats over and over again, your sight pans to the...to the moon? So what do you do? I dunno...I guess shoot a portal at it I dunno-OHHHHHHHH MY GOD HOLY SHIT I PORTAL-ED THE MOON WHAT I'M BEING SUCKED INTO THE VACUUM OF SPACE WHAT IS GOING ON

Anyways, yeah, a Portal forms on the moon and everything starts getting sucked into Space. You hold on to Wheatley for dear life and GLaDOS...actually saves you this time...That just happened.

But yeah, seriously, That was one hell of a climax. As punny as this sounds, this moment left me completely breathless, especially since I had no idea what was doing and accidentally triggered it. I love it so much.

The song that plays during it too...absolutely incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c624QWR3CXI

• Thumbs Up 1

DAY 15 OF PRESIDENT CROW HAVING A MOMENT!

Usually I'd put very hilarious moments for this kind of thing because those are definitely my favorite moments ever but I feel like I mention a lot of hilarious moments so I'll mention something completely different!

Rachel_Alucard_28Calamity_Trigger2C_Stor

Rachel Alucard's story ending in Calamity Trigger!

I needed an excuse to post Blazblue anyways.

While this is a story ending, its actually pretty common knowledge at this point. Anyways to explain a few things, Rachel is a vampire who is also an observer with tons of power but is forced to watch events play out instead of actively being in the plot. And CT and later Continuum Shift its been revealed that time has been replaying the same events over and over again with most of the characters not knowing what happened in a previous time line. However Rachel is one of the few characters immune to it and remembers everything that has happened. In her CT ending, she has a moment with Ragna where she basically tells Ragna that he fucked up again and keeps telling him he's a shithead. But its rather heartwarming because Rachel does care for Ragna to the point she sort of admits her feelings for him. And at the end Rachel encourages Ragna to never give up, even if he won't remember what happened. Then Rachel heads back to her castle and reflects on her situation. She's seen the people close to her die for hundreds of years only to come back and do the same mistakes again and she's unable to intervene in any way. Its a very melancholic scene to say the least but the fact that Rachel is stuck here, lamenting the fact that she's powerless and undying really makes me love this character a bit more. So that's my moment. UNTIL NEXT TIEM SSMB!

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 15: Most favorite moment in a video game?

While the Mario RPG's have always had some pretty amusing and epic moments in them, I'll go for one that most people most likely might have forgotten about:

The various kissing scenes from Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars!

Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars has some various amusing visual sketches here and there, but the crowning one that still amazes me to this day is the various kissing scenes you can get depending on how long you take your time with collecting Peach's accessories after you barge in the church of Mt. Marrymore to crash the wedding.

Yes, people, despite Bowser loathing Mario with all his guts in their long-stand off rivalry, he actually possibly kisses him.

angry_bowser_by_glacierk-d5kfoqj.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Half-Life 2: When you truly feel powerful for the first time.

great-video-game-character-weapons-the-g

Gamers love empowerment. For hours you walk around in fear, powerless. You hide, you fail, you look for upgrades and try to be stronger. And then, finally, you get something that turns the tables. Depending on the game, it might be a weapon, or a magic spell, or a special ability. Whatever it is, it's incredibly potent, magnificent in action and incredibly gratifying when you unleash it on the same enemies who gave you trouble earlier.

This empowerment moment is fundamental to storytelling. It's when the hero becomes strong enough, physically or else, to overcome whatever conflict they were dealing with.

But no game has ever done that journey like Half-Life 2. You wake up as a helpless, unarmed nobody on a future Earth under brutal occupation. The first people you see in the game are masked military forces exerting rigid control over you, and everybody else. You can't harm them, you can't disobey them. Everywhere you go, there are video screens with Dr. Breen, a Big Brother wannabe, throwing all kinds of propaganda speeches. When you meet up with resistance fighters, the first weapon you get is a crowbar... and you spend much of the game running to survive from troops who will wipe the floor with you if you look at them wrong.

Finally, you work your way up through the game, one incremental upgrade at a time, until you're infiltrating the fortress of that beard asshole. Inside, you obtain a Super Gravity Gun. What does it do? Well, immediately a big group of soldiers run in, firing at you. As a reaction, you aim your new gun at them and squeeze the trigger... and suddenly you realize you just sucked the bad guy across the room with your gravity gun and are now carrying him around like a helpless puppet.

You pull your trigger again, at which point it flings him across the room and knocks over the rest of his squad like bowling pins. You run into more of those screens, with more bullshit. You aim your weapon and realize that you can rip the damned monitor off the wall and hurl it across the room in a shower of sparks. You meet stronger and stronger enemies, but they prove to be no match to you newly acquired power.

That is empowerment. That is making the player feel awesome after going through hell and back.

• Thumbs Up 6

Day 15

People who have played this game will instantly know what I'm talking about. The final final boss of Persona 3. Your attacks do jack but the protagonist refuses to die. After regaining all your power through the shouts and cries of his friends, he delivers the final blow with the ultimate sacrifice. It was just such a POWERFUL moment that I... I just... My god...

• Thumbs Up 6

Favorite moment in a video game

Well, that's easy.

PhoenixWrightObjection.jpg

Do you know how satisfying it is to shout this into the microphone like a dumbass and then proceed to tell the prosecution to go fuck themselves?

"Yeah"

"I solved this case"

"Not you"

"Bitch"

• Thumbs Up 6

Day 15! Favourite moment!

250px-Dive_to_the_Heart_%28Art%29.png

Dive to the Heart in Kingdom Hearts aka Awakening. I know it's basically just a tutorial for things yet to come but back in 2002, when I first played this game, I was literally blown away by it! Never before had I seen anything quite as epic or atmospheric as this stage. Even replaying it now in Final Mix almost 12 years later, it still has a huge impact on me and gives me major nostalgia feels. The rousing music which becomes more and more dramatic as the stage progresses, the beautiful stained glass pillars with the Disney Princesses, the stairs that lead to the final pillar and the confrontation with Darkside...it's amazing, it looks great and most of all, it's epic!

Other favourite moments of mine include Journey's gorgeous

sunset down the sand slide

, sailing to Dragon Roost Island for the first time in the Wind Waker and playing SM3DW's first level Super Bell Hill.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 15

Favorite Moment

P4G-16-Chara-Vids_zps5a41ba17.jpg

Persona 4

The Awakening

So you and your friends make your first actual attempt to solving the murder mystery.  You go into the TV world with nothing but a golf club to defend yourself, and a cute bear-thing shows you the way to where one of the victims may have been killed.  Lo and behold as there are monsters here to kill you, and the golf club isn't going to cut it.  You're completely defenseless and you realize that you're a goddamn idiot for coming here in the first place.

A voice calls out to you...

I am thou...

Thou art I...

The time has come...

Open thine eyes...

and call forth what is within.

A blank card appears in your hand, and by instinct you say one word...

Per... so... na.

957598-soujiteddie2_zps3ba456b9.jpg

Your Persona, Izanagi, heeds your call as a kick-ass guitar riff kicks in.  You finally feel a moment of strength as you come to realize that you wield the power to solve the mystery behind the murders and this mysterious TV world.  From here on out, you can only keep your eyes open to the truth and move forward, and there's not a damn thing that will stop you.

• Thumbs Up 5

Favourite Moment:

Sonic 3 & Knuckles - Death Egg Act 2 boss fight sequence.

Sk-dez-boss2img2.pngDez2finalboss.pngsk-dez-boss3img11.pngDEZBoss3.png

I've always found this epic battle of wills between Sonic & Eggman enjoyable and iconic.

The tensions builds in act 2 when you move outside the Death Egg. You know shit is about to get real. It's an epic climax (not counting Doomsday zone). The fact that you're in space makes it extra special. I love how you can see Earth/Mobius which looks enormous in the background!

The first part where you have to warp up and down is actually probably the hardest part of the boss fights for me. I find it easy to get hit/caught out from the spikes which fly off the moving 'semi-circular' metal objects. It's quite a slow fight as Sonic & Hyper Sonic can't damage the big purple Eggman sphere.

Then the Giant Eggman-Robo first sequence; you can initially hear the Robo's hands moving towards you off-screen before they appear. That always used to creep me out for some reason. It's easy to beat quickly by using the spindash to good effect. 

The second Giant Eggman-Robo fight is the highlight for me. It looks so beautiful as Eggman uses the Master Emerald against Sonic & Tails. If you've got no rings you better time your jumps right! Feels even more special if I'm Hyper Sonic at that moment. The power of the Master Emerald and Super Emeralds emitting beautiful colours as Sonic & Eggman attack each other. This was Eggman's greatest achievement having captured the Master Emerald (up to this point in the franchise). He felt like a god with enormous power.

I like the final sequence; Sonic chasing Eggman as the Death Egg collapses, because it feels like a nice change of pace.

I enjoy the Doomsday sequence as well, but for me it's the Death Egg Act 2 bosses which I think about more when I'm reflecting on the game as the credits role.

• Thumbs Up 5

Rather than share a fixed point in a particular game, this is a personal victory moment.

I'm not what you would call a skilled player of Street Fighter 4. I'm servicable at best. But, I was playing Super Street Fighter 4 online, as Sakura. I was winning some, losing most, you know how it is. I came up against Zangief, in a thirty second 1-round match.

Zangief typically destroyed me in most matches, and 30-second rounds annoy me. That was happening again, and having inflicting very little damage I was down to a sliver of health. Still 20 odd seconds to go. Screw this, no need for a cagey tactical match, time to go balls-out. I instantly managed to hit him with an Ultra Combo. Damn bitch, now it's on.

Suddenly I was a player possessed, dodging his grappels and getting hits in whenever I could. And with just a couple of seconds left, bam, one low kick and he was down.

I was so goddamn proud, and yet it so damn nerdy this is the first time I've shared this story, haha.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 15 - Favorite Moment

I'll have to say the whole ending sequence in Persona 3.

OyCPdJY.png

While the game is eight years old, I guess I'll still use the spoiler tag.

Well, I'll start with the final boss. You and your party where warned about this being called Nyx one month ago, an invencible entity that will bestow death to the world. While everyone is fully aware that this thing is technically immortal, the group decided that they'll rather die fighting it than giving up.

On the day they where informed of Nyx's arrival, the group finally reaches the last floor of Tartarus, the tower where the said being will appear and are greeted by Nyx's Avatar.

After being said again that Nyx is immortal, the MC and other three members engage in a long battle with the Avatar while the other party members fight an influx of shadows climbing the tower.

After defeating the Avatar the group is surprised that the coming of Nyx can't be stopped and are technically paralyzed while she descends upon the world, but suddently the MC is summoned to the Velvet Room where the emotions of all the friends he made along the year encourage him and he gains the Universe Arcana. And then there he goes, ready to challenge the personification of death itself.

While fighting her your attacks don't do jack shit and every single thing coming from Nyx is supposed to kill you, but no, the MC refuses to die. After hearing words of encouragement from all the party members he uses all of his HP to do the Great Seal. After this the game skips to what seems to be regular life, except no one remembers shit from what happened the whole year except the MC and Aigis.

Every single day the MC feels weaker and weaker and finally on graduation day he leaves the dorm with Aigis and goes with her to the school's roof.

During the last minutes, everyone realizes that they each promised to gather on the school's roof should they make it to graduation day. There, they find the protagonist lying in Aigis' lap, smiling at the brief reunion with the other SEES members before he dies.

I'm not really good at explaining this kind of stuff, but all this was really powerfull and it was the first time a game made me teary eyed.

I wouldn't change a thing about this ending, but apparently Atlus didn't share the same opinion.

• Thumbs Up 5

Day 15:

Sonic generations - Modern city escape. Re-living the G.U.N truck chase

sonic-generations-e3-city-escape-modern.

Every time I come back to play Sonic Generations, this would be my first level. The updated chase is just pure epicness, they made it so much faster and crazier buy giving the truck 3 saw blades. It's pretty easy but it's super fun and just full of win. It's and epic moment just watching the truck try to catch up to you but will always fall behind. Just to think we things couldn't get any crazier. The last section has you running against the wall, and you think that's it for the truck. We've won. NOPE!

1318362971.jpg

OH SHIT! 

The trucks launches it's self onto the side of the houses still trying to catch you. This truck driver is seriously obsessed on catching Sonic. Hearing the sweet sound of escaping the truck once you hear the explosions when colliding into a building, and getting that goal ring.

They done good with this stage and they couldn't picked a better one.

I wonder what's the cost of destroying all those houses. 

• Thumbs Up 8

Day 15: Fav. Moment

Um...actually there is a favourite moment I have in video games, that happens on 50% of all video games. (Give or take...)

Would that be allowed? Let me make things clearer.

The Humble Intro/Opening

We've all seen at least one, you can't deny it. Before you get to the Press Start screen, your offered a visual representation lasting maybe a minute or three offering either an extra about the story or a stunning display of whats to come. They set the tone and can get me pumped up!

Not all games have these though. It doesn't matter if it does or doesn't, and most of us will just skip over them without a second thought. But they are there, like a bonus extra that only the keen observer will benefit from. Funnily enough, the games I usually spot not having an intro, are usually more mysterious in tone. But then again, I do mostly play platformers, JRPGs, adventure games and Beat-em-ups.

But let me make one thing clear. When I saw intro, I don't mean the start of a game, when you gave pressed start and have made a new file. This is about the bit before that. But as I have said, sometimes an intro will be about the story.

Like Devil May Cry 3 for example.

This moment also happens in the actual story, but in the intro, it ended at a key moment and draws you in. "OMG! Dante! Noooo!!" Heh, even though DMC3 was the first one I played in the franchise, my own reaction was still pretty much that.

So, with all that said, how about I list a couple of my personal favourite intros?

It doesn't take a child that could build a laboratory in his room without his parents knowledge to workout why I chose these as my top 5. It you take a big sniff, you'll get a whiff of the smell of Otaku. But apart from that, they're all also bright, colourful and upbeat. Even Project X Zone that gets a little dark at the end. But seeing all those familiar characters all together and beautifully animated is just...for a lack of a better term...orgasmic. It should also be said I enjoyed watching the dancing in Persona 4 and Disgaea 3's intros.

Day 15: Favourite Moment

Well, this is Sonic Adventure 2's City Escape, but in the interest of restraint/non-Sonic answers:

Roof2.PNG

Raise da Roof - Super Mario 64 (DS)

I played the shit out of Mario 64 DS when I got that chubby handheld brick. I didn't get very far (yet last week I 100%ed it in three days) but damn, was it fun.

Naturally, I went on cheat websites, and discovered that you could get onto the Castle Roof, and this intrigued me - all of the guides I read were vague about what was up there, so I tried every glitch I could to get up there. It was long after I kind of stopped playing the game that I discovered a surefire way to get up there sub-150 stars, but once I finally got up there, having that huge mystery solved was so satisfying, and the feeling of gliding around the front area of the castle was amazing - and all of this was even more satisfying when I didn't rely on glitches, and 100%ed the game on both Wii VC and in Mario 64 DS, and launched out of that cannon on the beach.

Satisfying stuff.

Day 15: favourite moment

My favourite moment is of the Pokémon series. And, it's when you encounter and battle the title legendary. This gives me a really pumping feeling, even though it's not the last act of the game, it really makes me feel this is the moment I've been playing for, and gives me a sense of victory when I capture it (because I really refuse to use a master ball on a title legendary, in fact, I try to keep master ball usage to a minimum.) or defeat it, depending on if I'm doing a certain run or not. While I may not really use it in a battle, to know I have conquered the Pokémon all the region knows, looks up to or fears, to beat the other team to the Pokémon and save it from them, it feels good.

I wouldn't change a thing about this ending, but apparently Atlus didn't share the same opinion.

I couldn't stand Aigis, personally. I'd much rather have he (or she) with their romantic social link, in my case Mitsuru.

Day 15: Favourite Moment

I'll mention Speed Highway and how you go up, down and all around. Sides of buildings, down one during a high-speed chase. The adrenaline.

But I guess it's finally my turn to mention this game..

4-capture_004.png

That's right, Ghost Trick. As you frantically jump between objects and manipulate them to bring yourself to a vantage point to save a life and change fate for the better...but take too long and..

This plays. Which jacks up your heart rate even more as you panick hoping you can save Lynne AGAIN, somehow, anyhow. Then, before y'know it, the timer counts down to seconds on screen BLOCKING YOUR VIEW. As if that was necessary after all that and the music is notched up even more...

...but to pull off sweet victory in those final seconds..or 10 seconds in my case. And to breathe a sigh of relief.

Happened to me quite a few times before. And that folks, is my favourite moment. (And it feels more involved and kinetic than Ace attorney even if the basis of the mechanic is similar considering the source)

Solving the puzzle is fulfilling and all but not the top moment for me..special mention goes to the Rube Goldberg Device.

• Thumbs Up 1